HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL close to new Player Transfer Agreements, World Cup becoming more of a reality

Old
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
NHL close to new Player Transfer Agreements, World Cup becoming more of a reality

Quote:
drosennhl Bill Daly says the NHL has reached a consensus for a new Player Transfer Agreement with all federations except the Russian Federation.
http://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/332572953646596096

Quote:
drosennhl Daly said the Russian federation is taking the new PTA framework back to their board for consideration.
http://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/332573072295084033

Quote:
drosennhl Included in the Player Transfer Agreement is cooperation for a World Cup of Hockey. Daly would not disclose details, though.
http://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/332573252637581313

Quote:
drosennhl Regarding Olympics, Daly said there will be a meeting in Stockholm (where he is now) about that tomorrow. He said it's "an ongoing process."
http://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/332573568695164928

Quote:
drosennhl Daly listed Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, France, Denmark, Norway and Germany as countries involved in new PTA.
http://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/332574040315285506

Edit: From TSN:
Quote:
The NHL may be getting closer to a new transfer agreement for players in European leagues.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told TSN during Canada's 3-0 win at the World Championship that the league has reached a framework for a new transfer agreement.

The NHL has been negotiating with the Swedish Federation and has presented the proposal to other federations, which they believe was warmly received.

Daly hopes the proposal will move to the agreement stage - which he would have to take to the Board of Governers - by next week.

The only potential snag could be with the Russian Federation. The NHL had a separate meeting with the Russians and Daly said they aren't counting on reaching an agreement there because, as he said, KHL issues are different than other European leagues.

The agreement, should it be reached, would be separate from any concerning the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Daly said there was a brief meeting about participation in the Olympics and that the process is still ongoing.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422808

Last edited by jfb392: 05-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.
jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Nice. Should be "more stable" WRT "loaning" or "signing" players to/from NHL.

Would be nice if the RHL (or whatever the initials work out as) to actually be a signatory to SOME agreement (even if a tweaked version of the PTA).

I can imagine the World Cup (and any profits, divided as agreed) might be a major point of the agreement.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

I am against current "logic" of PTA, so if NHL pay for EVERY PLAYER THE SAME MONEY. Only fair PTA is to negotiate club by club about transfer fee.

I know what reality is btw. So, hope NHL will pay at least 1 mil. USD for 1st rounders, the rest rounders can be 500 000 USD (2nd) and 200 000 (since 3rd).

Hope, at least KHL will fight PTA based on individuall negotiations club by club.

If I would euro federations, I would not sign PTA which is one-sided (as all previous PTAŽs were).

Europe can not be robbed anymore, pls, take into account.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:33 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
"Obviously the KHL and its clubs represent somewhat different issues, but we opened further dialogue with them both on an individual basis and in a group basis, and we hope to continue that dialogue."
That means NHL is ready to individual negotiations club-club about transfer fee?

Old
05-10-2013, 11:54 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
That means NHL is ready to individual negotiations club-club about transfer fee?
I think the CBA prohibits those (still; guessing that part unchanged from previous).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:56 AM
cutchemist42

Can we please stop this World Cup nonsense, it's not a proper international tournament.......

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:01 PM
viperswhip

It used to be. I saw all the best players in Russia and Canada when I went to a game in Vancouver, it wasn't just Russian NHL players. That was back before the Olympics I suppose, but I see no reason why it would be different now. If they put it in the latter half of August it's a terrific tune up for the NHL season. There are just so many pluses.

viperswhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperswhip View Post
It used to be. I saw all the best players in Russia and Canada when I went to a game in Vancouver, it wasn't just Russian NHL players. That was back before the Olympics I suppose, but I see no reason why it would be different now. If they put it in the latter half of August it's a terrific tune up for the NHL season. There are just so many pluses.
No there aren't. No one cares about the World Cup anymore. There's no political conflict, no prestige (compared to the Olympics), sports calendar's are packed etc. Only Canadians care about it because the tournament has always favored them(home ice, schedule, refs).

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
No there aren't. No one cares about the World Cup anymore. There's no political conflict, no prestige (compared to the Olympics), sports calendar's are packed etc. Only Canadians care about it because the tournament has always favored them(home ice, schedule, refs).
Sounds pretty much like the exact same reason the WC are more popular in Europe.

I was there to see Ovy score his first goal playing with the big boys in a game against Slovakia back in '04. I was a great match, so was the atmosphere. As long as the top players show up and play hard I would watch it, I really could care less if you or anyone else was into it.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
I am against current "logic" of PTA, so if NHL pay for EVERY PLAYER THE SAME MONEY. Only fair PTA is to negotiate club by club about transfer fee.

I know what reality is btw. So, hope NHL will pay at least 1 mil. USD for 1st rounders, the rest rounders can be 500 000 USD (2nd) and 200 000 (since 3rd).

Hope, at least KHL will fight PTA based on individuall negotiations club by club.

If I would euro federations, I would not sign PTA which is one-sided (as all previous PTAŽs were).

Europe can not be robbed anymore, pls, take into account.
Maybe I am missing something but I don't get why any money is normally owed. If I were a young prospect in Europe and I thought one day I was interested in playing in the NHL I would only sign short term contracts (say one year at a time) or negotiate an NHL out clause in my contract. If a player in Europe is a free agent and wants to sign with an NHL club then why does anyone owe anyone anything? If the player agreed to a contract without an out clause then the club with his contract should be able to demand whatever payment they see fit.

A huge amount of the money that European NHLers earn goes back with them to Europe when they are done, so it's hardly like there is no benefit to Europe in having them play over here.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:46 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
No Latvia or Belarus?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:35 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Maybe I am missing something but I don't get why any money is normally owed. If I were a young prospect in Europe and I thought one day I was interested in playing in the NHL I would only sign short term contracts (say one year at a time) or negotiate an NHL out clause in my contract. If a player in Europe is a free agent and wants to sign with an NHL club then why does anyone owe anyone anything? If the player agreed to a contract without an out clause then the club with his contract should be able to demand whatever payment they see fit.

A huge amount of the money that European NHLers earn goes back with them to Europe when they are done, so it's hardly like there is no benefit to Europe in having them play over here.
I suppose from their side of the coin unlike in NA the pro teams over their pay for the development of young players. So it is understable that a team which spent X number of $$$ training a teenager would be upset if he bolted for the NHL with the kid never even having played for them.

But if that's what the issue is, then a flat transfer rate becomes perfectly fair. Only real reason behind negotiated rates is because that's how European Football does it and the Russians want a piece of that.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
You dont get the idea, make research.

Quote:
I dont care how euro NHLers use their money, their problem. I care only about transfer fee which is unfair.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I suppose from their side of the coin unlike in NA the pro teams over their pay for the development of young players. So it is understable that a team which spent X number of $$$ training a teenager would be upset if he bolted for the NHL with the kid never even having played for them.

But if that's what the issue is, then a flat transfer rate becomes perfectly fair. Only real reason behind negotiated rates is because that's how European Football does it and the Russians want a piece of that.
Varies from country to country. In Russia the hockey schools are funded by the clubs but e.g. in Finland the majority of the paying is done by the parents until they get to C-juniors (14-15 years old) of an SM-Liiga club. After that they don't have to pay for their equipment (license fee is still there but that serves as an insurance payment as well) nor ice time and the coaches are paid and chosen by the SM-Liiga club (that's how it is at Helsinki Jokeri). I think the Swedish system might be similar(not sure) though they do have hockey schools there as well.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Can we please stop this World Cup nonsense, it's not a proper international tournament.......
If it were to be staged every 4 years alternating 2 years with the winter olympics then hells yea it would be. The NHL and IIHF had a chance to make the IIHF World Cup the pre-eminent hockey tournament but they effed up by not having a 2000 edition of the tournament, and nothing in 2008 or 20012. The 1996 IIHF World Cup was one of the greatest hockey tournaments ever.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

I believe that over here the parents have to pay the full cost right up until the CHL level and even after that they are basically playing for free. No matter what level we are talking about for obvious reasons teams want to attract the best players they can and after they move on I don't think there is feeling that they are owed something further.

I can kind of see the point that if a pro club subsidized a kid for many years that they may feel they are owed something at the end, especially if it was agreed to (by his parents?) that he would play for them professionally when he got older and then he decided to leave for the NHL instead. However it seems to me that this should be between the player and his old club to work out. Why should the NHL have to pay for the develpoment of Europeans when they don't have to do the same for North American kids?

Having said all of this I think it makes sense for the NHL to help fund hockey develpoment everywhere, but that should be a business decision, not because they are forced to.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:

I dont care how euro NHLers use their money, their problem. I care only about transfer fee which is unfair.
You keep saying it is unfair but not why. Please explain.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:

They're lucky to get anything. What's fair is for any league to pay whatever they want for a player and just to the player themselves.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Can someone explain to me what this "player transfer agreement" and "transfer fee" is?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
goalieboy82

if they did the WC like FIFA and teams had qualify (not the host country), i would be all for it. would be nice to see some other countries try to play for it.

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:54 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Can someone explain to me what this "player transfer agreement" and "transfer fee" is?
Mainly a sum of money paid to the player's federation, money that is then distributed to the club(s) that fostered that player.

Re: World Cup it's an exciting tournament for fans but it doesn't really make a difference for hockey. NHL makes a pile of money, we get some good pre-season hockey and that's it.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Mainly a sum of money paid to the player's federation, money that is then distributed to the club(s) that fostered that player.
The money is given to teams that lose their player to an NHL team? So whenever it is the Rangers bring over Oscar Lindberg, they would have to pay money to the SEL (or the SIHA?) who gives it to Skellefteć AIK?

Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
The money is given to teams that lose their player to an NHL team? So whenever it is the Rangers bring over Oscar Lindberg, they would have to pay money to the SEL (or the SIHA?) who gives it to Skellefteć AIK?
That's correct. The new agreement will give the Swedish federation $240k per player, but $325k for every player after the 10th guy that is signed. They then spread the money to the clubs in question.

So if Sweden ships over 20 players one summer, they'll get $240k x 10 + $325k x 10 = $5,65M / 20 = $282,5k per player.

Previous agreement gave $225k per player regardless of how many.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Tough Guy

Olympics or World Cup, but not both. Every 2 years is overkill.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:29 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
Olympics or World Cup, but not both. Every 2 years is overkill.
It is absolutely not overkill. The more IIHF major hockey tournaments the better !!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote