Tyler Seguin

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 03:04 PM
EastCoastNiner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
no, i am comparing seguin to top picks...top picks with his hype should be difference makers, he clearly is not...the guy cant even stay on his feet, cant make a clean pass and shoots it with little accuracy. most overrated guy on bruins board. he clearly has an arrogance about him that needs to be reeled in because he is not as good as he thinks he is.
He's not performed well lately at all, but you seem to be under the assumption that Seguin had near the same hype as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, and Tavares. The fact is, his hype was not nearly the same as them, so if your expectations were for him to be as good as they are right now, then you will be disappointed. If you were realistic and realized that not all top 2-3 picks are created equal, you'd be much better off.

Just because you're a number two overall pick doesn't mean you're automatically going to be as good as other top two overall picks in other years, or even better than a top five pick in some years.

Old
05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
He's not performed well lately at all, but you seem to be under the assumption that Seguin had near the same hype as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, and Tavares. The fact is, his hype was not nearly the same as them, so if your expectations were for him to be as good as they are right now, then you will be disappointed. If you were realistic and realized that not all top 2-3 picks are created equal, you'd be much better off.

Just because you're a number two overall pick doesn't mean you're automatically going to be as good as other top two overall picks in other years, or even better than a top five pick in some years.
He's seems like a good kid but he needs to get stronger as he loses most puck battles and he doesn't possess a great net front presence...yet. He may still break out as a 40-50 goal guy considering his wealth of other skill-sets but he will need to add those elements first.

Might not be a bad idea to throw either JAGR or PEVERLEY onto that line in order to spread out TO's D and take some pressure of the KREJCI line because they (BERGERON's line) aren't contributing anything offensively right now. Putting SEGUIN on the third line may wake Chris KELLY up offensively too. Love the guys D game but come on, at 3 per, you are expected to chip in once in awhile.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Chieftans22*

I really wonder how Seguin will be next year. First year outside his ELC and getting farther away from his draft youth.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
I really wonder how Seguin will be next year. First year outside his ELC and getting farther away from his draft youth.
I think Seguin needs to decide in the offseason how hard he wants to work and if he wants to get to the Elite level. He needs to get much stronger. Right now he really just needs to play smarter and more composed. Stop trying to beat everyone one on one and spin to the boards and wait for help.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Seguin really has to work on balance and getting stronger on his skates.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:20 PM
hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
Let's compare him to top picks like #3 Jack Johnson or #4 Benoit Pouliot instead. I really wish Seguin was as big a difference maker as top pick Zack Hamill, oh wait...Seguin will be fine
He was a #2 so compare him to JVR. Couple years different in age but many similarities.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Mainehockey33
HF Boards Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
He was a #2 so compare him to JVR. Couple years different in age but many similarities.
Exactly, and if anyone is comparing either of them to Crosby or Malkin, they're living in fantasy land. I think both of them will turn into great players though, just appreciate them for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Bruins Fan View Post
He should go to wherever Crosby goes for that, I don't like him but he's got crazy strong legs

Old
05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I really think Marchand is playing with an injury.
Something is up - this is his time of year.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:55 PM
24giovanni

Quote:
+1 I agree with this 100%. Needs to add muscle to his core.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:24 AM
bosbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
To say i'm disappointed in the way he is playing so far would be an understatement.

(1) He thinks he can go 5 vs 3 when he brings the puck across the neutral zone to the attacking zone and tries to deke every defender who tries to poke check him. Maybe it's about time he realizes that hockey is a 5 vs 5 game and start looking to pass to his teammates .

(2) Scoring: What happened to his scoring ability. It has disappeared all of a sudden and it seems like he forgot how to be a goal scorer. No play vision what so ever. Phil kessel has looked like a better play this series and i feel dirty saying it. For whatever reason Tyler seguin refuses to go to the dirty areas being the boards, around the net area/ crashing the net etc.
The biggest problem I have is that he was given a contract he hasn't even come close to earning. As long as Claude Julien's system is in place in Boston Seguin will never meet his potential.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:34 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
My issue at this point is with the contract he's going to start making next season. He was in the neighborhood of 30 goals last season, and projects to be a 25 goal scorer over a full 82 game schedule this year. Those are Nathan Horton offensive numbers. He doesn't kill penalties, and he's not amazing on the power play. I'd be fine with him being a pure scorer and paying him as such, but so far he isn't one.

05-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Kaoz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrr View Post
Kane has 5 points, poor example. Leaf fan here, our team is having similar struggles with Kadri. Young players struggle, end of story. No one should be crying for a trade because a 21 year old's production isn't at par with a vets.
That's not a horrible example at all, and to be clear, not one I provided. Someone else made the comparison, I wouldn't have. Since they did I pointed out that his goal numbers are way down in the playoffs (1 goal in his last 18 playoff games). All his points are coming from assists, which right now could easily be the same story with Seguin if he had linemates who were finishing.

Even then, folks would point out he wasn't scoring goals and wouldn't be at all happy with him, it would be a crucifixion around these parts. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Salem13

He was a forced freshman so I'll call this mini-season his sophomore shlump.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
He needs to stop trying to beat the D by stick handling around them, use that speed, take the puck outside

He`s struggled to find the net/produce yet again this round one as he did last year, but the biggest difference is I see a much improved effort level whereas last year against the Caps I didn`t see him move his feet until game 6 then 7 which was when he finally popped a goal no?.......good omen??

Old
05-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosbruin View Post
The biggest problem I have is that he was given a contract he hasn't even come close to earning. As long as Claude Julien's system is in place in Boston Seguin will never meet his potential.
This gave me flashbacks to 2011. Thanks for the memories!

Old
05-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Duguay
Stay at home Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I think Seguin needs to decide in the offseason how hard he wants to work and if he wants to get to the Elite level. He needs to get much stronger. Right now he really just needs to play smarter and more composed. Stop trying to beat everyone one on one and spin to the boards and wait for help.
Or, at least add another dimension so that the defenders can't anticipate the same attempt every time. It's a tough lesson that skill players often struggle with. Kessel battles the same issue. They have spent their lives winning games in inferior leagues, and it has been their old 'go to.'

However, in the best league in the World, it won't always work -- it leads to frustration and then becomes a confidence issue.

Hard to Coach it out also, because these players have made many Coaches look foolish in their young careers, and they think they have it all figured out

I do agree his strength needs an uptick; however, I don't think it is as bad as it looks. If he didn't try the same move everytime, and the blueliners didn't just dump him on his can everytime, then it probably wouldn't even be noticed.

Ultimately, If that line was going, the Bruins would have done away with the Leafs already. I look for them to respond after the Coach's challenge. Bergeron should answer, and the rest should fall in from there.

This kid can still star in the SC Playoffs. He *will* star in this league. Eventually.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
I don't give a **** if Kadri only has 1 point...why are we comparing what Seguin does to Kadri? Seguin has a far bigger pedigree and it doesn't matter that he is 21. Crosby produced at that age, Toews, Kane, Malkin, Stamkos...I could go on...the kid better start producing, I could care less that 'he has had a lot of shots'
This.

I also don't like the argument "Parise and Toews aren't producing as well".
Does them not producing magically turn Seguin's play into a good one?

Of course there are some players who have bad stretches. But why point them out and not the guys who are making a difference?
What about Tavares? He isn't that much older than Seguin and he played his first playoffs. He was great on an inferior team; he made them reach the playoffs in the first place.
This is Seguin's third playoffs. At some point you simply cannot give him a pass anymore, especially when he is about to make almost 6M per year.
The second period of game 2 against Tampa was 2 years ago. Let it go.

Good for him and his back-check, I appreciate that. But you can also hire some third-liner who costs less than a third to do that.
Seguin is hired to produce and to make a difference. He has 0 points in 5 games and he has to show up. This isn't acceptable.
And since when is it a good thing when he has 8 shots per game? I'd rather have him shoot once and just score instead of wasting chances. How often do we see him in an excellent position to one-time a puck but he just ... doesn't do it and waits for the goalie to come across.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:11 AM
stick9

It's always something with this fan base. I've seen it time and time again over the years.

However, I do think some of the concerns are valid. Some fall on the player, some fall on the coach and some fall on management.

Seguin needs to push himself to be better. Does he have the drive to become one of the top players in the world...he certainly has the talent.

Julian needs to loosen up the defensive reins a bit.

Chiarelli & the rest of the Bruin brass should have held that contract back for another year.

When all is said and done, Seguin will be a very good player. It's up to him if he wants to be a great player.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:16 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
It's always something with this fan base. I've seen it time and time again over the years.

However, I do think some of the concerns are valid. Some fall on the player, some fall on the coach and some fall on management.

Seguin needs to push himself to be better. Does he have the drive to become one of the top players in the world...he certainly has the talent.

Julian needs to loosen up the defensive reins a bit.

Chiarelli & the rest of the Bruin brass should have held that contract back for another year.

When all is said and done, Seguin will be a very good player. It's up to him if he wants to be a great player.

agreed

and some need to come to grip with the fact that the guy is 21 bloody years old and has a game that isn`t yet fully polished

disagree about the contract position you take, everyone knew the cap was heading south, and as we saw with many teams, they locked guys in to very similair style deals

Old
05-12-2013, 09:22 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
agreed

and some need to come to grip with the fact that the guy is 21 bloody years old and has a game that isn`t yet fully polished

disagree about the contract position you take, everyone knew the cap was heading south, and as we saw with many teams, they locked guys in to very similair style deals
On the contract, I like the number and the length just think it came a little early.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
On the contract, I like the number and the length just think it came a little early.
Again, I think it was more about Chia lining up his deals before the Cap kicks in, has his game plan financially pretty much set moving forward. I believe it`s one of the reasons he never really went out and signed any big name players, he could see a lockout then lowered cap coming, wasn`t terribly difficult to predict

I NEVER worry about the Cap and Chia, he and whomever he does the number crunching with always seem to have a pretty solid grip on things.

Watch this summer, there will be a ton of players that teams will be forced to move/buy out

Old
05-12-2013, 09:52 AM
BudMovin*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Again, I think it was more about Chia lining up his deals before the Cap kicks in, has his game plan financially pretty much set moving forward. I believe it`s one of the reasons he never really went out and signed any big name players, he could see a lockout then lowered cap coming, wasn`t terribly difficult to predict

I NEVER worry about the Cap and Chia, he and whomever he does the number crunching with always seem to have a pretty solid grip on things.

Watch this summer, there will be a ton of players that teams will be forced to move/buy out
Yeah, he is a cap wiz. It's nice to not have to worry about your core players, because you know Chia will get it done somehow.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:58 AM
panny2727

at this point tyler has been in engaged and played decently in 3 of the 5 games. he has been around the puck and battling except for in games 3 and 4. The problem he has is the lack of confidence in his decision making and shooting. He's like a brain messed golfer with 4 foot putts. He doesn't expect to score and is getting more and more frustrated. Someone said he was freaking out a practice the other day because he was missing the net. maybe yoga could help the kid. I'd say relax and get drunk but that would be a short term fix turned into a long term problem. At the end of the day he needs to trust his skill, keep working hard, relax, stay in the moment and not get to high or low. We are so critical of him because his potential is there, and honestly one two goal game would change his image real quick. Best of luck tonight Tyler

Old
05-12-2013, 10:00 AM
KrejciMVP

All I can say is GO SEGUIN!!! we need you today!!!

Old
05-12-2013, 11:04 AM
doubledown99

Seguin will be a stud. I'm not a Bruins fan (though like watching the team) and my unbiased view is that he will be great. He is a young player so their will be struggles. He will be GETTING his man strength soon and then watch out. You will all look back at threads like these and laugh.

Enjoy his greatness Bruins fans (.....it's coming).

Closed Thread