HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
7th for Gudbranson?
Guy is injury prone and doesn't have a lick of offensive ability. I wouldn't give up much for him. I don't think his career is as a top 4 d-man will be very long.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
I don't know whether I would give up 7th overall for Gudbranson or not as I've only seen him play a few times and don't really remember much - nothing stuck out (that might be a good thing), but if you recall I believe it was the very first episode of Oil Change, Stu MacGregor was VERY VERY high on Gudbranson, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were kicking tires there

Old
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Beerfish

We have a #1 center, his name is RNH.

There is absolutely no point in making a lateral move and moving Gagner unless we get a totally different type of center back, as in big.

Gagner is a perfectly fine #2 Center if size is not an issue for the team. If they move him for a big winger or Dman then we for sure 100% must replace him with a reasonable #2 and that is not freaking Horcoff.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Mr Sakich

The guy from Florida that I am most interested in is Kulikov. His numbers are hurt by playing with a team that has almost no offence and got terrible goaltending.

His most common ice time partner was Mike Weaver. He is an OK vet but is not the kind of guy who would elevate Kulikov's stats.

IMO, Kulikov is very comparable to Petry

Old
05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
The guy from Florida that I am most interested in is Kulikov. His numbers are hurt by playing with a team that has almost no offence and got terrible goaltending.

His most common ice time partner was Mike Weaver. He is an OK vet but is not the kind of guy who would elevate Kulikov's stats.

IMO, Kulikov is very comparable to Petry

And that's a good thing? He better be much better than Petry (which I think he will be) or I don't want him. Petry is perhaps the Oilers most overrated player in my opinion.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We have a #1 center, his name is RNH.

There is absolutely no point in making a lateral move and moving Gagner unless we get a totally different type of center back, as in big.

Gagner is a perfectly fine #2 Center if size is not an issue for the team. If they move him for a big winger or Dman then we for sure 100% must replace him with a reasonable #2 and that is not freaking Horcoff.
Agree completely. Is Gagner ideal? Not really but why can't we just offset his small stature with a bigger winger? Why not just draft Nish then

Old
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Agree completely. Is Gagner ideal? Not really but why can't we just offset his small stature with a bigger winger? Why not just draft Nish then
Because he bleeds goals against, falls down in a stiff breeze and cant win a face off to save his life. We are going nowhere near the playoffs with Gagner as our #2C and/or Dubnyk as our #1G.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:55 AM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because he bleeds goals against, falls down in a stiff breeze and cant win a face off to save his life. We are going nowhere near the playoffs with Gagner as our #2C and/or Dubnyk as our #1G.
Gagner will become the next Horcoff if signed to a 4 million or more deal.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
And this is exactly what I was talking about in the prospect thread, your hate for him shows that you can't properly judge a player. Gagner falling down wasn't an issue this year.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
Gagner will become the next Horcoff if signed to a 4 million or more deal.
Don't you mean a 7 or 8 year 7 million a year deal?

Then you have to make sure he gets more ice time than any other player.

Then you have to make sure he plays with the top players every year.

Then you have to make sure if he plays against other teams better players he racks up a minus -29.

Then you have to make sure that everyone pats him on the head not matter how bad he plays.

Then you have to make sure he never fights or has any real intestinal fortitude and also total accepts losing.

Then he'll be the next Horcoff.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And this is exactly what I was talking about in the prospect thread, your hate for him shows that you can't properly judge a player. Gagner falling down wasn't an issue this year.
Absolute nonsense. Your hate for me shows you cant properly judge a poster.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Mr Stevens is 100% correct in his comment. You have total blinders on regarding this player. You wanted to trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder last year.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Mr Stevens is 100% correct in his comment. You have total blinders on regarding this player. You wanted to trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder last year.
You dont say?

If you recall, I was saying a couple years ago that Gagner should be given a shot at #1C because Horcoff clearly wasnt up to it. Why would I do that if I "hated" Gagner?

Old
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
When you spew obvious BS about Gagner falling down which was pretty much non-existent this year it doesn't.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
BowDangles

I agree that Gagner leaked scoring chances all year.. The advanced stats prove it as well. But he has grown offensively and has a competitive edge to his game that most players on our roster lack.

That being said I would trade Gagner in a trade for a bigger better defensively centre man. As long as the play does not die on his stick.

I would prefer they package him for a top 4 defence man though... They can try and go after a centre man via free agency or compliance buyout players. There is also a lot of prospects the Oilers have that some teams may find very interesting come next season when the cap ceiling falls.

The problem with all this is that RNH will more than likely not be in the starting line up next year so we need Gagner to be our #1 centre until he returns. I see it more likely that they trade him once RNH returns rather than in the summer. Unless the plan is to move Hall to centre come training camp.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
When you spew obvious BS about Gagner falling down which was pretty much non-existent this year it doesn't.
Does it really matter if he "falls down" or not? This argument is laughable. Hall falls over about 1-2 times a shift and no one is complaining about him.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Non-existent?

Old
05-14-2013, 11:20 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Does it really matter if he "falls down" or not? This argument is laughable. Hall falls over about 1-2 times a shift and no one is complaining about him.
Because Hall makes up for it by leading the team, carrying all the passengers and making a positive contribution on the ice. I doubt we win 5 games all year without Hall.

Of course it matters. If you cant win a puck battle to save your life, then you arent much good out there are you?

Old
05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Non-existent?
Pretty much. Sure he'd still fall over time to time, but it was a non-issue. He worked on his balance all summer and many have noticed that he isn't getting knocked to the ice very often anymore.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Jooked

Quote:
Non-existent?
This article by Willis supports the "snowpants" argument. Gagner struggles against bigger / stronger teams.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/5/13/sam-gagner-vs-size

Old
05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Pretty much. Sure he'd still fall over time to time, but it was a non-issue. He worked on his balance all summer and many have noticed that he isn't getting knocked to the ice very often anymore.
Is he winning more puck battles? How's his defensive zone coverage? Faceoffs?

He just isnt what we need going forward. He could contribute on another team, but he is a problem on this one.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

He just isnt what we need going forward. He could contribute on another team, but he is a problem on this one.
Sure, but that wasn't my point I was referring to. I was referring to people that love or hate a guy so much that they don't notice when a player does something better or worse.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:32 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooked View Post
This article by Willis supports the "snowpants" argument. Gagner struggles against bigger / stronger teams.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/5/13/sam-gagner-vs-size
Watching almost any game supports the "snowpants" argument.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
BowDangles

Quote:

Hmm.. I think he is a problem when he is playing with guys like MPS and Yak... If Edmonton is able to sign a guy like Horton, Clarkson or trade for Lucic than having Gagner play between Hall and one of these guys makes him more supported physically and less of an issue.

Remember that he is only 23 years old and is bound to get stronger. Look at Krejci in Boston when surrounded by big wingers...He is 1" taller but lighter weight wise.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. If we keep them both, move Gagner to the wing and DD to the backup role.

Closed Thread