HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
  #376
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,875
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
7th for Gudbranson?
Guy is injury prone and doesn't have a lick of offensive ability. I wouldn't give up much for him. I don't think his career is as a top 4 d-man will be very long.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
  #377
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
I don't know whether I would give up 7th overall for Gudbranson or not as I've only seen him play a few times and don't really remember much - nothing stuck out (that might be a good thing), but if you recall I believe it was the very first episode of Oil Change, Stu MacGregor was VERY VERY high on Gudbranson, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were kicking tires there

Hoogaar23 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  #378
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
We have a #1 center, his name is RNH.

There is absolutely no point in making a lateral move and moving Gagner unless we get a totally different type of center back, as in big.

Gagner is a perfectly fine #2 Center if size is not an issue for the team. If they move him for a big winger or Dman then we for sure 100% must replace him with a reasonable #2 and that is not freaking Horcoff.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
  #379
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
The guy from Florida that I am most interested in is Kulikov. His numbers are hurt by playing with a team that has almost no offence and got terrible goaltending.

His most common ice time partner was Mike Weaver. He is an OK vet but is not the kind of guy who would elevate Kulikov's stats.

IMO, Kulikov is very comparable to Petry

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  #380
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
The guy from Florida that I am most interested in is Kulikov. His numbers are hurt by playing with a team that has almost no offence and got terrible goaltending.

His most common ice time partner was Mike Weaver. He is an OK vet but is not the kind of guy who would elevate Kulikov's stats.

IMO, Kulikov is very comparable to Petry

And that's a good thing? He better be much better than Petry (which I think he will be) or I don't want him. Petry is perhaps the Oilers most overrated player in my opinion.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
  #381
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We have a #1 center, his name is RNH.

There is absolutely no point in making a lateral move and moving Gagner unless we get a totally different type of center back, as in big.

Gagner is a perfectly fine #2 Center if size is not an issue for the team. If they move him for a big winger or Dman then we for sure 100% must replace him with a reasonable #2 and that is not freaking Horcoff.
Agree completely. Is Gagner ideal? Not really but why can't we just offset his small stature with a bigger winger? Why not just draft Nish then

frag2 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
  #382
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,229
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Agree completely. Is Gagner ideal? Not really but why can't we just offset his small stature with a bigger winger? Why not just draft Nish then
Because he bleeds goals against, falls down in a stiff breeze and cant win a face off to save his life. We are going nowhere near the playoffs with Gagner as our #2C and/or Dubnyk as our #1G.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:55 AM
  #383
oilers83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because he bleeds goals against, falls down in a stiff breeze and cant win a face off to save his life. We are going nowhere near the playoffs with Gagner as our #2C and/or Dubnyk as our #1G.
Gagner will become the next Horcoff if signed to a 4 million or more deal.

oilers83 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
  #384
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,875
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because he bleeds goals against, falls down in a stiff breeze and cant win a face off to save his life. We are going nowhere near the playoffs with Gagner as our #2C and/or Dubnyk as our #1G.
And this is exactly what I was talking about in the prospect thread, your hate for him shows that you can't properly judge a player. Gagner falling down wasn't an issue this year.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
  #385
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
Gagner will become the next Horcoff if signed to a 4 million or more deal.
Don't you mean a 7 or 8 year 7 million a year deal?

Then you have to make sure he gets more ice time than any other player.

Then you have to make sure he plays with the top players every year.

Then you have to make sure if he plays against other teams better players he racks up a minus -29.

Then you have to make sure that everyone pats him on the head not matter how bad he plays.

Then you have to make sure he never fights or has any real intestinal fortitude and also total accepts losing.

Then he'll be the next Horcoff.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
  #386
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,229
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And this is exactly what I was talking about in the prospect thread, your hate for him shows that you can't properly judge a player. Gagner falling down wasn't an issue this year.
Absolute nonsense. Your hate for me shows you cant properly judge a poster.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
  #387
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Absolute nonsense. Your hate for me shows you cant properly judge a poster.
Mr Stevens is 100% correct in his comment. You have total blinders on regarding this player. You wanted to trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder last year.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  #388
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,229
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Mr Stevens is 100% correct in his comment. You have total blinders on regarding this player. You wanted to trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder last year.
You dont say?

If you recall, I was saying a couple years ago that Gagner should be given a shot at #1C because Horcoff clearly wasnt up to it. Why would I do that if I "hated" Gagner?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
  #389
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,875
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Absolute nonsense. Your hate for me shows you cant properly judge a poster.
When you spew obvious BS about Gagner falling down which was pretty much non-existent this year it doesn't.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
  #390
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
I agree that Gagner leaked scoring chances all year.. The advanced stats prove it as well. But he has grown offensively and has a competitive edge to his game that most players on our roster lack.

That being said I would trade Gagner in a trade for a bigger better defensively centre man. As long as the play does not die on his stick.

I would prefer they package him for a top 4 defence man though... They can try and go after a centre man via free agency or compliance buyout players. There is also a lot of prospects the Oilers have that some teams may find very interesting come next season when the cap ceiling falls.

The problem with all this is that RNH will more than likely not be in the starting line up next year so we need Gagner to be our #1 centre until he returns. I see it more likely that they trade him once RNH returns rather than in the summer. Unless the plan is to move Hall to centre come training camp.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
  #391
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
When you spew obvious BS about Gagner falling down which was pretty much non-existent this year it doesn't.
Does it really matter if he "falls down" or not? This argument is laughable. Hall falls over about 1-2 times a shift and no one is complaining about him.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:18 AM
  #392
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,229
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
When you spew obvious BS about Gagner falling down which was pretty much non-existent this year it doesn't.
Non-existent?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:20 AM
  #393
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,229
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Does it really matter if he "falls down" or not? This argument is laughable. Hall falls over about 1-2 times a shift and no one is complaining about him.
Because Hall makes up for it by leading the team, carrying all the passengers and making a positive contribution on the ice. I doubt we win 5 games all year without Hall.

Of course it matters. If you cant win a puck battle to save your life, then you arent much good out there are you?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
  #394
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,875
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Non-existent?
Pretty much. Sure he'd still fall over time to time, but it was a non-issue. He worked on his balance all summer and many have noticed that he isn't getting knocked to the ice very often anymore.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
  #395
Jooked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Non-existent?
This article by Willis supports the "snowpants" argument. Gagner struggles against bigger / stronger teams.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/5/13/sam-gagner-vs-size

Jooked is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
  #396
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,229
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Pretty much. Sure he'd still fall over time to time, but it was a non-issue. He worked on his balance all summer and many have noticed that he isn't getting knocked to the ice very often anymore.
Is he winning more puck battles? How's his defensive zone coverage? Faceoffs?

He just isnt what we need going forward. He could contribute on another team, but he is a problem on this one.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:31 AM
  #397
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,875
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is he winning more puck battles? How's his defensive zone coverage? Faceoffs?

He just isnt what we need going forward. He could contribute on another team, but he is a problem on this one.
Sure, but that wasn't my point I was referring to. I was referring to people that love or hate a guy so much that they don't notice when a player does something better or worse.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:32 AM
  #398
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,606
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooked View Post
This article by Willis supports the "snowpants" argument. Gagner struggles against bigger / stronger teams.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/5/13/sam-gagner-vs-size
Watching almost any game supports the "snowpants" argument.

worraps is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
  #399
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is he winning more puck battles? How's his defensive zone coverage? Faceoffs?

He just isnt what we need going forward. He could contribute on another team, but he is a problem on this one.
Hmm.. I think he is a problem when he is playing with guys like MPS and Yak... If Edmonton is able to sign a guy like Horton, Clarkson or trade for Lucic than having Gagner play between Hall and one of these guys makes him more supported physically and less of an issue.

Remember that he is only 23 years old and is bound to get stronger. Look at Krejci in Boston when surrounded by big wingers...He is 1" taller but lighter weight wise.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
  #400
Conkanen*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because he bleeds goals against, falls down in a stiff breeze and cant win a face off to save his life. We are going nowhere near the playoffs with Gagner as our #2C and/or Dubnyk as our #1G.
Couldn't agree more. If we keep them both, move Gagner to the wing and DD to the backup role.

Conkanen* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.