HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 01:56 PM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm pretty sure that he thinks highly of our coach so I'd rather not move a pick when we will likely be one of the top 5 destinations on his list anyway.
Sign Streit as a UFA, once finished, fire Krueger and hire Tippet.

Streit demands trade, don't give it to him and burry him in the minors

Old
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
As long as we all agree that its just the cap hit that is the determining factor in whether adding a #2 or #3 C as our #1 is a good idea...
I like Hall and Yakupov's chemistry and spreading out the offense with Hall/Yak on one line and RNH/Eberle on the other.

Do you really expect to add one or two more 1st line quality players when the Oilers already have four top line quality players in their top6?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
As long as we all agree that its just the cap hit that is the determining factor in whether adding a #2 or #3 C as our #1 is a good idea...
Wouldn't matter to me, the way I see it we have 2 lines that are going to be played evenly. Having Vermette and RNH or RNH and Vermette if you prefer would be welcomed by me, but not at a 5mil+ price tag.

When you have the wingers we do you either cut costs somewhere or you trade one.

Also Vermette was a 1st line center on a team that made it to the Conference finals last year.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I wouldn't touch that contract request.
Are we talking about the Same Mark Streit that had:
2007- 62 points
2008- 56 points
2009- 49 points
2010- Injured all year
2011- 47 points
2012- 27 points in 48 games - 47 points prorated

Pretty sure any deference that averages 50 points a year is probably worth 5 million bucks on my books.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:08 PM
doubledown99

This board is so frustrating sometimes. Look id love to have the top 6 lines stacked with good players and have a great top pairing. But that isn't realistic. First legit top 6 guys usually aren't available. If they are then they usually have warts.

Second how are you suppose to acquire these guys?

The way I see it is we have 4 of our top 6 filled with Hall, Nuge, Ebs, and Yak. I'd love to fill the other two spots with E. Kane and say Couture but that isn't realistic. So maybe we have to draft Monahan and wait for him to be ready. In the meantime you have to fil those spots. You will not be able to do it with good players. Good players usually don't make it to free agency. So the only other option is trade but teams won't move them unless its in their favor.

So the third option is to fill it with fillers. If you can get players that fill holes but may not be ideal isn't a bad thing. Just my opinion.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
This board is so frustrating sometimes. Look id love to have the top 6 lines stacked with good players and have a great top pairing. But that isn't realistic. First legit top 6 guys usually aren't available. If they are then they usually have warts.

The way I see it is we have 4 of our top 6 filled with Hall, Nuge, Ebs, and Yak. I'd love to fill the other two spots with E. Kane and say Couture but that isn't realistic. So maybe we have to draft Monahan and wait for him to be ready. In the meantime you have to fil those spots. You will not be able to do it with good players. Good players usually don't make it to free agency. So the only other option is trade but teams won't move them unless its in their favor.

So the third option is to fill it with fillers. If you can get players that fill holes but may not be ideal isn't a bad thing. Just my opinion.
Do you mean to say that teams won't be trading us a top 2 line guy for our under achieving players on our current 25th ranked team??

pfffffffffff.... What does this guy know?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Fourth option would be to let go of some of those assets that you are waiting to fill those holes and fill them with legit options. We really are getting to the point where we shouldn't be banking on Lander, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Hartikanen, Pitlick etc.. to just all slowly make the team and make an impact. At some point we need to step up and have a back plan just in case those guys can't make it. You can never have too much talent, if it turns out all those kids make it, then you are in a good situation.

Although I don't really disagree with what you have to say.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Are we talking about the Same Mark Streit that had:
2007- 62 points
2008- 56 points
2009- 49 points
2010- Injured all year
2011- 47 points
2012- 27 points in 48 games - 47 points prorated

Pretty sure any deference that averages 50 points a year is probably worth 5 million bucks on my books.
He will also be 36 next year which means we will be paying him 5 million when he's 39. I'm not that confident he can continue at this pace at that age.

Also similar defencemen are getting paid much less with a reduced term. His teammate Lubo who is a good comparable just signed for 2 yrs 9.5 million. I would much rather do that deal than 3 yrs 15 million.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's going to turn ugly as soon as he steps on the ice. He's a product of his linemates
People couldn't wait to throw $5M+ at Gagner half way through this shortened season. Bozak's two way game makes him look like Peca when compared to Gagner. That and he wins faceoffs and puck battles. If Bozak is worth $5M then Gagner isn't worth $3.75M. Gagner's stats this season were also very much a product of his linemates.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:17 PM
BowDangles

Quote:

I like to look at Chicago for reference of how the Oilers should build their top six.
They run with Kane-Sharp and Toews-Hossa. The other two spots are typically filled with a bigger banger. Eager spent a lot of time in their top six when he wasn't afraid to fight and hit.

I think Edmonton should do this. Run Ebs-Nuge and Hall-Yak and slot in some big bodies in there where the puck doesn't die on their stick.

You can keep Gagner as a third line centre if need be and use him like San Jose has been using Pavelski.

Honestly I would love to see Hall successfully moved to centre. Its a risk but the reward is worth it in my opinion.

xxx-RNH-Ebs
xxx-Hall-Yak

Old
05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I like Hall and Yakupov's chemistry and spreading out the offense with Hall/Yak on one line and RNH/Eberle on the other.

Do you really expect to add one or two more 1st line quality players when the Oilers already have four top line quality players in their top6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Wouldn't matter to me, the way I see it we have 2 lines that are going to be played evenly. Having Vermette and RNH or RNH and Vermette if you prefer would be welcomed by me, but not at a 5mil+ price tag.

When you have the wingers we do you either cut costs somewhere or you trade one.

Also Vermette was a 1st line center on a team that made it to the Conference finals last year.
Why not stick with the status quo then? RNH/Gagner down the middle. Problems solved.

Listen, I get what you guys are saying from a cap perspective and about having good talent on the wings to spread around. But if you think that adding Vermette to our top line is going to get this team anywhere, then either you don't know Vermette past what his stat lines say or you don't have the best idea of what this team is missing. As great as Hall, Eberle, Yak and RNH are, you can't just plug and play anyone along with them and expect that this team is set. We've been doing that and look where we're at. I'm not offering alternatives and you can take me to task for that; but I know enough to know that Vermette isnt the solution.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Why not stick with the status quo then? RNH/Gagner down the middle. Problems solved.

Listen, I get what you guys are saying from a cap perspective and about having good talent on the wings to spread around. But if you think that adding Vermette to our top line is going to get this team anywhere, then either you don't know Vermette past what his stat lines say or you don't have the best idea of what this team is missing. As great as Hall, Eberle, Yak and RNH are, you can't just plug and play anyone along with them and expect that this team is set. We've been doing that and look where we're at. I'm not offering alternatives and you can take me to task for that; but I know enough to know that Vermette isnt the solution.
Vermette plays a two-way game that we lack in the top 6 and was 57% on the draw. Would be nice to get Hall, Eberle, Yak or whoever the puck to start the play instead of chasing the puck.

Status quo has gotten us nowhere, that is also another reason for change.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:

Gagner probably has more value and I don't see him as a fit.

If you can trade Gagner for an NHL defenseman and trade picks/prospects for Vermette, I think the team is far better off than just keeping Gagner and attempting to bring in a defenseman by other means.

And I guess it's just a difference of a opinion, but I think a guy like Vermette is a perfect fit for the Oilers top 6.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
BowDangles

Quote:

Tambo is that you?!?! What did we say about commenting in here!

Old
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM
stoff

Quote:
Status quo has gotten us nowhere, that is also another reason for change.
Yep. I see a lot of lineups with 3/4 changes in the forward group, most withe the bottom 6 and 1 d signing. This little turnover won't get us better its just more of the same.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Gagner probably has more value and I don't see him as a fit.

If you can trade Gagner for an NHL defenseman and trade picks/prospects for Vermette, I think the team is far better off than just keeping Gagner and attempting to bring in a defenseman by other means.

And I guess it's just a difference of a opinion, but I think a guy like Vermette is a perfect fit for the Oilers top 6.
I still think even if you bring in another center to replace Gagner, there is still room on the wing for him. Of course that would depend what Gagner wants, but having an extra center in the lineup doesn't hurt.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:48 PM
stoff

Quote:
I still think even if you bring in another center to replace Gagner, there is still room on the wing for him. Of course that would depend what Gagner wants, but having an extra center in the lineup doesn't hurt.
I agree but it may present a cap crunch. Most people would agree we wouldn't want him in the top six as a winger because we would still be too small then. So to have Sam as a third line winger would give us some solid depth scoring but his contract demands might be too large for a third line role.

Now if we can find reasonably priced third liners an sign him for less than 4 million then I think it would be great for the lineup.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I agree but it may present a cap crunch. Most people would agree we wouldn't want him in the top six as a winger because we would still be too small then. So to have Sam as a third line winger would give us some solid depth scoring but his contract demands might be too large for a third line role.

Now if we can find reasonably priced third liners an sign him for less than 4 million then I think it would be great for the lineup.
I think we have cap space for next year, after that I don't know.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Sign Streit as a UFA, once finished, fire Krueger and hire Tippet.

Streit demands trade, don't give it to him and burry him in the minors

lol, do you have 6 rings as well?

Old
05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Peter Zezel

vCash: 50
Quote:
He will also be 36 next year which means we will be paying him 5 million when he's 39. I'm not that confident he can continue at this pace at that age.

Also similar defencemen are getting paid much less with a reduced term. His teammate Lubo who is a good comparable just signed for 2 yrs 9.5 million. I would much rather do that deal than 3 yrs 15 million.
He came to the NHL late in his career so I'd think his body could hold up for 3 more years. Although Streit doesn't solve our defense problems. I'd still like Leopold over him.

I've always liked Vermette's game, he has that occasional offensive flair that would compliment our top 6 nicely.

I'm not a trade proposal master but if Gagner fits in PHX's budget, Gagner for Vermette & Klesla+ would be okay by me. Could maybe ante up for a better d.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:45 PM
oilers89

I actually think Vermette would be a very good addition to this team.
If you could sign him and play him with hall and yak he could put up anywehre from 40-60 points with a solid 2 way game. And then we turn gagner into a D-man. I think it be good start.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
oilers89

I would try and go...
Marincin, pitlick, 3rd - vermette
Gagner 2nd - Alzner
Hemsky + - Brouwer
Sign Bickell or Staalberg .. perferably Bickell
Sign Torres
Try and trade for brian boyle or sign boyd gordon

Hall-Vermette-Yak
Brouwer-Nuge-Ebs
Paajarvi-Horc-Bickell
Torres-Boyle-Brown
Smyth

alzner-schultz
smid - petry
schultz-fistric

May need to sign another vet d man and have fistric as #7 guy

Old
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Maybe Gagner could play goal, because Dubnyk cant.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
enthropi

Quote:

It's quite strange that you think that way, since Lubo will be 37 before Streit even turns 36... ie, it's pretty much the same age situation. I wouldn't hesitate to get Streit, and he is way less complicated/injury-prone than Lubo on top of that.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:02 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe Gagner could play goal, because Dubnyk cant.
Snowpants Sammy would have the bottom of the net covered at least...

Closed Thread