HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Yes, because 0.920 save percentage goaltenders grow on trees...

And I'd accidentally slipped Schultz into that lineup. Had listed him under tradeables on the list. Also forgot to include Hemsky, going to add him as well.
Khabibulin had a better Sv% than Dubnyk. I suppose you are ok with re-signing him and making him our starter? We could go out and get Labarberra, he had a .923 Sv% too.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Conkanen*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Yeah perhaps what I said was a bit too drastic. Give it a couple years then. One year with a beefed up bottom-6 and 2 additional top-4 D just to see how the team does with "no excuses" for it's top-6 or top-pairing D.
If they look like duds by a) not making the playoffs or b) being completely out-classed in the divisional rounds of the playoffs, I think it's time to start reconsidering who is part of the "core"
Agree with all that.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Yes, because 0.920 save percentage goaltenders grow on trees...

And I'd accidentally slipped Schultz into that lineup. Had listed him under tradeables on the list. Also forgot to include Hemsky, going to add him as well.
And 76 point 21yo players do?

Old
05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:

When you have Hall/RNH/Yakupov/Eberle (avg weight 185) as your core forwards heading forward up against other teams' cores in Getzlaf/Perry/Etem/Ryan (avg weight 210), Thornton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski (avg weight 209), and Kopitar-Brown-Carter-Richards (avg weight 212), you're bound to lose the match-up. These players are every bit as skilled and talented as our stars, and in some cases just as fast (Marleau/Richards/Brown). On top of it all they're taller, heavier, and stronger. It's why the Oilers struggled so poorly vs those California teams earlier this season.
The Oilers are probably going be between 195-200 when all is said and done and you forgot to mention the top team in the west...Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews at an average of 199.5

Obviously the rest of the top six needs to be bigger but the core size isn't going to be an issue if they can manage to fill those spots with the right guys IMO.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
rockinghockey

RNH is not going to be starting the season, when will he be back from his shoulder surgery. I think that we should look at Ott from BUF, he would be a very nice addition down the middle. What do you guys think it would take to get him?

Old
05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The Oilers are probably going be between 195-200 when all is said and done and you forgot to mention the top team in the west...Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews at an average of 199.5

Obviously the rest of the top six needs to be bigger but the core size isn't going to be an issue if they can manage to fill those spots with the right guys IMO.
I know size helps, but I think back to when Hall/RNH/Ebs have the puck in the opponents end at the beginning of the year and they passed it around like the globe trotters.

I think size is needed more in the bottom six than anything. Sure a guy or two in the top six will help but we need more physicality out of the bottom six. This year when ever the bottom six was on the ice we knew that nothing was going to happen, not a goal, not a fight, not a hit...nothing...you can't have that ineffectiveness out of half the forward group..

Old
05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
RNH is not going to be starting the season, when will he be back from his shoulder surgery. I think that we should look at Ott from BUF, he would be a very nice addition down the middle. What do you guys think it would take to get him?
I would love Ott on the Oilers, I think Buffalo holds a high price tag on him though... I wonder if they can pull off a multi player trade involving Ott and Myers.

To Edm:
Ott
Myers

To Buff:
7thOV
Hemsky
MPS
prospect

Old
05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I know size helps, but I think back to when Hall/RNH/Ebs have the puck in the opponents end at the beginning of the year and they passed it around like the globe trotters.

I think size is needed more in the bottom six than anything. Sure a guy or two in the top six will help but we need more physicality out of the bottom six. This year when ever the bottom six was on the ice we knew that nothing was going to happen, not a goal, not a fight, not a hit...nothing...you can't have that ineffectiveness out of half the forward group..
I agree that the bottom six needs to get bigger as well, I was just refering to the post I quoted compairing the core size to other teams top players.

Frankly I think the line-up needs to get bigger AND better all around.

Quote:
I would love Ott on the Oilers, I think Buffalo holds a high price tag on him though... I wonder if they can pull off a multi player trade involving Ott and Myers.

To Edm:
Ott
Myers

To Buff:
7thOV
Hemsky
MPS
prospect
I would love to get Ott too but want nothing to do with Myers, IMO he has the potential to turn into a Cam Barker type situation with a MUCH worse contract.

I'm thinking it might take MPS and this years 1st rounder plus just to get the Ott conversation going.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:45 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Khabibulin had a better Sv% than Dubnyk. I suppose you are ok with re-signing him and making him our starter? We could go out and get Labarberra, he had a .923 Sv% too.
Dubnyk played more games than those both combined. But of course, you wouldn't think of that. Or if you did, you'd make sure to avoid bringing that up.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:45 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
I agree that the bottom six needs to get bigger as well, I was just refering to the post I quoted compairing the core size to other teams top players.

Frankly I think the line-up needs to get bigger AND better all around.

I would love to get Ott too but want nothing to do with Myers, IMO he has the potential to turn into a Cam Barker type situation with a MUCH worse contract.

I'm thinking it might take MPS and this years 1st rounder plus just to get the Ott conversation going.
Ott is not worth this years 7th overall by itself. He only has next year left on his contract than he is a UFA.

You don't trade the 7th overall, potential franchise player for a one year rental... If we had a late first round pick than I could see the value being there..

Old
05-15-2013, 11:46 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
And 76 point 21yo players do?
How many of those kind of players do you need? 4?

The mere fact that that kind of player is in surplus on our roster and not around the league is why you make the move using him to acquire another hard-to-acquire talent (#1/2 Dman). You're going to get value back on the asset.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

Different division. Will be interesting to see how they fare against LAK in a 7-game series.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Different division. Will be interesting to see how they fare against LAK in a 7-game series.
3 of the 4 also have very solid two-way games.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Chicago has a lot of physical players in their bottom six. If that series happens it will be a fun one to watch.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Ott is not worth this years 7th overall by itself. He only has next year left on his contract than he is a UFA.

You don't trade the 7th overall, potential franchise player for a one year rental... If we had a late first round pick than I could see the value being there..
It really sounds like it's a real drop off at the #7 spot this year unless someone goes a little "off the board" with their pick and someone falls into our lap.

I don't think anyone at #7 is being considered a potential franchise player this year, it's a crap shoot.

Ott would be a perfect fit on this team and would really improve the look of the left side up front, and I would hate to lose PRV but you have to give to get.

Hemsky isn't going to bring anything close to Ott in return.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:17 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
It really sounds like it's a real drop off at the #7 spot this year unless someone goes a little "off the board" with their pick and someone falls into our lap.

I don't think anyone at #7 is being considered a potential franchise player this year, it's a crap shoot.

Ott would be a perfect fit on this team and would really improve the look of the left side up front, and I would hate to lose PRV but you have to give to get.

I agree that Hemsky won't bring much value. The upside to this draft for trade pieces is Nishkunin. TSN has him ranked 5th but he will more than likely be there at 7. He can not come to NA until his KHL contract is over or he buys his way out of it but he is one of the highest skill set players available this year.

To a rebuilding team like Buffalo, he could be quite the asset. Edmonton just does not need him because they want to start winning now and not have to wait 2 years for him to make an impact..

I would rather try and find some prospects that Buffalo likes in our system packaged with some draft picks for Ott. Kind of like a TDD deal. I would like Edmonton to package MPS with something else to bring in a better player than Ott or a D man.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:

From what I've heard there are a bunch of people saying 7-15 are very close. All that really matters though is what Edmonton and Buffalo thinks.

With that being said I don't think I do Ott for the 7th straight up. Mainly because he's a UFA at season end.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:21 PM
stoff

Quote:
I agree that Hemsky won't bring much value. The upside to this draft for trade pieces is Nishkunin. TSN has him ranked 5th but he will more than likely be there at 7. He can not come to NA until his KHL contract is over or he buys his way out of it but he is one of the highest skill set players available this year.

To a rebuilding team like Buffalo, he could be quite the asset. Edmonton just does not need him because they want to start winning now and not have to wait 2 years for him to make an impact..

I would rather try and find some prospects that Buffalo likes in our system packaged with some draft picks for Ott. Kind of like a TDD deal. I would like Edmonton to package MPS with something else to bring in a better player than Ott or a D man.
If edmonton won't take him why would buffalo do a trade? They pick right after us.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
doubledown99

Quote:

There are 7 franchise players in this draft according to most scouts:
Jones
Mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskin
Lindholm
Monahan

So no, giving up #7 for a very good player but no better than 2nd liner is bad asset management. Factor in that he can walk after 1 year and it would be terrible asset management.

I think I'd even rather have Lazar and Horvat over Ott to be honest. If MPS gets Ott - sure but giving up the 1st should not even be in consideration

Old
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
There are 7 franchise players in this draft according to most scouts:
Jones
Mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskin
Lindholm
Monahan

So no, giving up #7 for a very good player but no better than 2nd liner is bad asset management. Factor in that he can walk after 1 year and it would be terrible asset management.

I think I'd even rather have Lazar and Horvat over Ott to be honest. If MPS gets Ott - sure but giving up the 1st should not even be in consideration
I actually think TB and Calgary picks will be the wildcard in the first round and how they pick will affect the Oilers trade up/down situation.

TB could go Nicushikin or even Nurse; I can actually see Calgary go straight for Shinkaruk as well.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:27 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
If edmonton won't take him why would buffalo do a trade? They pick right after us.
Edmonton should still draft him if he is there, strictly because he is BPA and will bring the most value in a trade.

Buffalo and Edmonton are in different stages of their rebuilds, Buff is just starting theirs and Edmonton is in the start winning portion.

The reason I say that Edmonton does not "need" him per say is because he will not be on the team until 2015 unless something changes.

For Buffalo, depending on what kind of rebuild they do, 2015 should be around the time they start competing again.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I actually think TB and Calgary picks will be the wildcard in the first round and how they pick will affect the Oilers trade up/down situation.

TB could go Nicushikin or even Nurse; I can actually see Calgary go straight for Shinkaruk as well.
I would love for this to be true but I can not see Calgary passing on Lindholm/Monohan if they are there.

Calgary has not had a true #1C in a long long time, this year is their chance to get a shot at one.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:53 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
I would love for this to be true but I can not see Calgary passing on Lindholm/Monohan if they are there.

Calgary has not had a true #1C in a long long time, this year is their chance to get a shot at one.
I thought that was why they took Jankowski last season?

Old
05-15-2013, 12:59 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I thought that was why they took Jankowski last season?
I also hear that got a guy named Backlund who is a surefire 1st line center.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:21 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
How many of those kind of players do you need? 4?

The mere fact that that kind of player is in surplus on our roster and not around the league is why you make the move using him to acquire another hard-to-acquire talent (#1/2 Dman). You're going to get value back on the asset.
Why not wait until another one of our players actually does it before deciding the one that has is surplus?

Also, who was redundant out of Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, and Anderson?

Closed Thread