HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 38s
Well, the NHL adventure didn't last long MT @IgorEronko #Flames Roman Cervenka signed a 3 year contract with #SKA of #KHL, per club

Old
05-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well, the NHL adventure didn't last long MT @IgorEronko #Flames Roman Cervenka signed a 3 year contract with #SKA of #KHL, per club
Well Done Jay Feaster, I hope he signs Thoresen this summer.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:33 PM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

vCash: 500
Quote:
I hope Feaster stay in charge of Calgary for a while. Cervenka was brought in and hyped as a top 6 C for Iginla. Then they found out he was a winger. And now he's gone after a massive 17 point outburst this season.

Almost as stupid a move as the ROR offersheet.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:44 PM
doubledown99

I wanted Alzner but WSH is really weak on the left side of their defense.

Quite of the posters here have suggested Laich.....he actually would be a great target and with WSH cap situation I think he and Ward could be casualties.

Paajarvi + Hemsky (we retain half salary and cap hit)

For

Laich and Ward

Old
05-15-2013, 01:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I hope Feaster stay in charge of Calgary for a while. Cervenka was brought in and hyped as a top 6 C for Iginla. Then they found out he was a winger. And now he's gone after a massive 17 point outburst this season.

Feaster sure understands things differently than the rest of us.

I can see it now. Miss the playoffs, but yet somehow spin it that their goal of making the playoffs was accomplished next year.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

Quite of the posters here have suggested Laich.....he actually would be a great target and with WSH cap situation I think he and Ward could be casualties.

For

Laich and Ward
Yeah, you wouldn't retain salary, and you shouldn't have to give up so much. Laich and Ward are every bit the Salary Cap dumps their contracts look like they are.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:56 PM
OF17

Quote:

For

Laich and Ward
I like the idea of going after Laich and/or Ward, but giving up Paajarvi is too much.

Paajarvi shouldn't be traded unless the piece coming back is good enough we forget the word "Magnus." Neither of those two guys are that, and they have big cap hits too.

I'd push hard for Laich though. He'd look great with Nuge and Eberle.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Well Done Jay Feaster, I hope he signs Thoresen this summer.
I have a soft spot for Thoresen.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:06 PM
BowDangles

Quote:

I don't really see the negative side of the Cervanka move?? He gave up nothing to get this guy and he was a NHL player for all of last year. He out scored over 2/3rds of Edmonton.

I hate Calgary as much as the next guy but I didn't mind this move. Gave up nothing for a guy who contributed to his team. Sure he wasn't the answer but he wasn't an absolute plug like the majority of our bottom six...

The ROR offer sheet is in its own class of stupid

Old
05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I don't really see the negative side of the Cervanka move?? He gave up nothing to get this guy and he was a NHL player for all of last year. He out scored over 2/3rds of Edmonton.

I hate Calgary as much as the next guy but I didn't mind this move. Gave up nothing for a guy who contributed to his team. Sure he wasn't the answer but he wasn't an absolute plug like the majority of our bottom six...

Except Calgary was a team who's goals really were to make the playoffs. Not be in the running for 1st overall and trade away their franchise forward and one of their best d-men. Might've cost them nothing in terms of assets to get him, but moves like this have put the Flames where they are today.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

Quote:

Sure it was a low risk gamble. But also one with a low chance of reward. They didn't even know he was a winger when they signed him. In my mind that is a huge mistake.

Although I will agree about ROR. That offersheet really should have been grounds for firing.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Sure it was a low risk gamble. But also one with a low chance of reward. They didn't even know he was a winger when they signed him. In my mind that is a huge mistake.

Although I will agree about ROR. That offersheet really should have been grounds for firing.
Even if they knew he was a winger the simple fact is they didn't have a backup plan.

This isn't the Oilers signing Barker who if he turned out great, if not who cares we are a lotto team anyway.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
I agree that Hemsky won't bring much value. The upside to this draft for trade pieces is Nishkunin. TSN has him ranked 5th but he will more than likely be there at 7. He can not come to NA until his KHL contract is over or he buys his way out of it but he is one of the highest skill set players available this year.

To a rebuilding team like Buffalo, he could be quite the asset. Edmonton just does not need him because they want to start winning now and not have to wait 2 years for him to make an impact..

I would rather try and find some prospects that Buffalo likes in our system packaged with some draft picks for Ott. Kind of like a TDD deal. I would like Edmonton to package MPS with something else to bring in a better player than Ott or a D man.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's a TDD deal?

And Iss actually had Nichushkin ranked 4th over-all: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=92324

I see what you're saying though, I just don't think PRV with loose change is going bring anything better than Ott back, or if it's even going to get us Ott. PRV packaged with the 1st this year might though. Maybe someone better than Ott with a few years on a contract can be had for that kind of package?

The other unknown is what happens with Gagner?

Quote:
From what I've heard there are a bunch of people saying 7-15 are very close. All that really matters though is what Edmonton and Buffalo thinks.

With that being said I don't think I do Ott for the 7th straight up. Mainly because he's a UFA at season end.
Fair enough, would you do it if you could get him signed to a reasonable 3-year deal?

It sure would be nice to land Ott though, and when you look at what we have up front that's available that has any value to other teams, there's this years 1st, PRV & Gagner. What else do we have to offer really?

Quote:
There are 7 franchise players in this draft according to most scouts:
Jones
Mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskin
Lindholm
Monahan

So no, giving up #7 for a very good player but no better than 2nd liner is bad asset management. Factor in that he can walk after 1 year and it would be terrible asset management.

I think I'd even rather have Lazar and Horvat over Ott to be honest. If MPS gets Ott - sure but giving up the 1st should not even be in consideration
I don't know if I agree, the reports I'm reading have varied response to that. Some say that there aren't any A+ players in this years draft but that there are 5-10 A to A-, others have said that the top 3 or 4 are "players you could build around" but there was a bit of a drop off after that.

We may only end up with a 2nd liner at the #7 spot depending how it goes. For example, if we get Lindholm I won't be holding my breath on him turning out to be anything more than a solid 2nd line centre in the NHL, but that could be a few years down the road.

If we were picking in the top four I would want to hold on to that pick alot more but I'd like to see what kind of return it might bring back, as far as immediate help, if the Oilers' top ranked players are gone at that point.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:45 PM
rockinghockey

Obviously you don't trade away the 7th over all pick for Ott. When are pick is up and all the centremen are gone and Nich is there I think if BUF wanted to move up to take Nich I would do it. If we are going to wait two years I don't mind taking a dman like Nurse.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:14 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I like the idea of going after Laich and/or Ward, but giving up Paajarvi is too much.

Paajarvi shouldn't be traded unless the piece coming back is good enough we forget the word "Magnus." Neither of those two guys are that, and they have big cap hits too.

I'd push hard for Laich though. He'd look great with Nuge and Eberle.
Pretty sure Laich will be a compliance buy out candidate. They sit at $64M with Laich making $4.5M 4 more years.

Guys they have to sign (UFA/RFA):

- Riberio
- Marcus Johansson
- Karl Alzner

You also have to imagine they also want to improve their D. So I can't imagine a scenario where they'd risk losing one their key guys, just to keep Laich. Especially considering they added Erat to a group of Ovy, Brouwer, Fehr, MoJo on the wings. It doesn't make sense to keep him at such a high price.

05-15-2013, 09:35 PM
McDoused

I was creeping on the Dallas board and some of their fans proposed Gagner and the 7th for Goligoski and the 10th. Personally I don't think that's enough from then but it's certainly something I would consider.

Another poster also proposed Hemsky and the 7th for Daley and the 10th.

I'm surprised they would be willing to give up on one their top 4 defenceman.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:51 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I was creeping on the Dallas board and some of their fans proposed Gagner and the 7th for Goligoski and the 10th. Personally I don't think that's enough from then but it's certainly something I would consider.

Why would we give up Gagner for Goli and then move back 3 spots in the draft. We need a left dman but he also has to have some size to him. Adding another dman that is small is not going to help us. Yes, he is good at moving the puck but we still need some size.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:53 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post

I like the Daley trade. I'd counter with:

A. Hemsky

ANA 2013 2nd.

for

T. Daley.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandToeyJoey View Post
I like the Daley trade. I'd counter with:

A. Hemsky

ANA 2013 2nd.

for

T. Daley.
Done and Done, If I'm the Oilers I take that all day long.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
488fitter

**** draft picks. I'm sure we can afford to lose a year of youth in our system. Trade for all cap friendly contracts.

GAGNER + 1ST ---> KESLER + 2ND
EBERLE + PETRY + 2ND ---> CARLSON + BROUWER
PAAJARVI + HEMSKY ---> NEIL + 2ND
BELANGER + 3RD ---> BOYLE

SIGN: CLOWE, TORRES, SCUDERI, EMERY

HALL - NUGE - YAKUPOV
CLOWE - KESLER - BROUWER
TORRES - HORCOFF - NEIL
HARTIKAINEN - BOYLE - BROWN
SMYTH

SMID - CARLSON
SCUDERI - SCHULTZ
SCHULTZ - KLEFBOM
FISTRIC

DUBNYK
EMERY

Last edited by 488fitter: 05-15-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
**** draft picks. I'm sure we can afford to lose a year of youth in our system. Trade for all cap friendly contracts.

HALL - NUGE - YAKUPOV
CLOWE - KESLER - BROUWER
TORRES - HORCOFF - NEIL
SMYTH

SMID - CARLSON
SCUDERI - SCHULTZ
SCHULTZ - KLEFBOM
FISTRIC

DUBNYK
EMERY
Don't think that lands us Kesler, Canucks value him a lot.
We overpay in the Eberle deal.
I don't like the Neil deal, I like Neil but Paajarvi? Really? That could burn us hard, imagine Paajarvi and Zibanejad lighting it up.
NYR won't trade Boyle for that cheap, maybe a few months ago but he was solid in round one.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post

HALL - NUGE - YAKUPOV
CLOWE - KESLER - BROUWER
TORRES - HORCOFF - NEIL
SMYTH

SMID - CARLSON
SCUDERI - SCHULTZ
SCHULTZ - KLEFBOM
FISTRIC

DUBNYK
EMERY
You forgot to trade Hall for Lucic. And RNH for Jumbo Joe. We need to be so big that we can put out not only an NHL lineup but an NBA one too.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:34 AM
knockoutpanda
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
You forgot to trade Hall for Lucic. And RNH for Jumbo Joe. We need to be so big that we can put out not only an NHL lineup but an NBA one too.
So we are getting Shaquille O'Neal out of retirement. YES! YES! YES!

Old
05-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 315
Quote:

I can see it now. Miss the playoffs, but yet somehow spin it that their goal of making the playoffs was accomplished next year.
"We had a different interpretation of the playoffs than the league."--Jay Feaster

Old
05-16-2013, 08:22 AM
McDoused

Quote:

I love that Cervenka wasn't even a center and could only communicate properly through Hudler. Next year should be interesting for them as their first line center will be whomever they draft and rush into the NHL (Lindholm) or Backlund ( has never had more than 10 goals or 25 points).

Closed Thread