HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Playoff Officiating?

View Poll Results: Reffing PLAYOFFS vs REG SEASON?
PREFER they let more go in the Playoffs. LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE THE GAME, NOT the minor calls 24 52.17%
DONT LIKE. CALL IT THE SAME WAY. If a minor hook away the from play decides game 7, so be it. 18 39.13%
CALL IT TIGHTER IN THE PLAYOFFS 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
Playoff Officiating?

People always cry about that they dont call it the same way they do in the reg season..but are you REALLY upset? I for one dont mind that they let the little crap go in the playoffs..the games are bigger and should be decided by the PLAYERS not the referees over minor calls.

So why the crying? I think you know what my vote is.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:12 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
People always cry about that they dont call it the same way they do in the reg season..but are you REALLY upset? I for one dont mind that they let the little crap go in the playoffs..the games are bigger and should be decided by the PLAYERS not the referees over minor calls.

So why the crying? I think you know what my vote is.
Its not consistent thats why. If they dont call slashes/interference/holding then they should not call any of them, not just artificially impact the game by deciding random times to call the penalties.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Its not consistent thats why. If they dont call slashes/interference/holding then they should not call any of them, not just artificially impact the game by deciding random times to call the penalties.
They call the one that actually effects scoring chances, or are so obvious that the have to(example Boyle in game 5 of Caps/Wsh, dumb slash to back of leg, while it was away from play it was so obvious the ref called it), they usually dont call the minor junk that does nothing to effect anything. Im fine with that in the playoffs.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:46 PM
trentmccleary

They're deciding the game when they decide to disregard it's rules when the playoffs start. On occasion, entire series are determined by whichever team was willing to play dirty throughout because they constantly pushed the limits of what the ref's would give on. The team that played by the rules established in the regular season was left at a disadvantage. There's a certain level of WWE like ridiculousness when the ref's completely abandon their duties in a series. I accept that it is part of the game and I just hope that when the playoffs start, that my team is willing to swing folding metal chairs around. But condone it, like this makes any sense?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
If a player puts a hook an another, I want it called.
If a player falls on top of another player and doesn't get up for 30 seconds, I want it called.
Call the obstruction and interference please...the rough stuff is fine.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
If a player puts a hook an another, I want it called.
If a player falls on top of another player and doesn't get up for 30 seconds, I want it called.
Call the obstruction and interference please...the rough stuff is fine.
Agree. Call hockey fouls, but let there be some animosity.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Agree. Call hockey fouls, but let there be some animosity.
Agreed.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Green Blob*

Sorry boys. Its not like that.

You want the roughing to be let go thats fine, then they are going to let the BS crap let go as well. As they are.

You cant say you want only certain minor stuff called and other minor stuff not called. They disregard ALL minor crap.

Seems like a few are voting and not understanding.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:35 PM
powerbomb

People want consistency. If it's a penalty in the regular season, it's a penalty in the postseason. Extending from that, if it's a penalty in the 1st period, it's a penalty in the 3rd period and OT. People who argue that the way the game is called is inconsistent, and then literally want the game to be called differently depending on what point of the game we're in, does not make sense to me at all.

I want to watch skilled players do their thing. If a forward makes a great deke to split the defense, and then is taken down illegally, why should I be excited that they are "letting them play"? What they're really doing is neutralizing talent when they let fringe defenders impede star players without penalty.

I also want embellishing/diving out of the game, but with the way things are called in which nothing is called unless it looks bad, there's pretty much no chance that will happen, unfortunately.

powerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Call it consistently. That's all I care about. If you're going to call marginal calls, make sure it's on both teams. If you're going to let something go, both teams need to benefit from that.

For the most part, they do that because the officials in the playoffs (Unlike MLB) are actually the good ones. It's only been a few games in a few series where there's been serious problems.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I like the way the playoffs are officiated.

I think the regular season should be called like the playoffs.

A little more clutch and grab, a little more lenience on the tough calls.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
I just want consistent.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:14 AM
The Red Line

Combination of A and B for me.

Let them play, but if they are going to call penalties, call them both ways when they occur, and call it the same way from game to game.

I think what drives fans crazy is the total inconsistency of the officiation from game to game, period to period, team to team.

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Human
cynic

as a Pens fan I don't like it how they let most of the stuff go. I believe as a more skilled team, the Pens would benefit if the refs called more penalties.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:17 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

Option #2
DONT LIKE. CALL IT THE SAME WAY. If a minor hook away the from play decides game 7, so be it.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
They should call playoffs games like they call or regular season games (or at least how they try to). No where in the rules does it say you should call less penalties in the playoffs. Not only that, it's never good. How could they decide to not call a penalty the majority of the game and then randomly decide to call one later on that could have easily been called earlier?

05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
kasper11

Quote:
They call the one that actually effects scoring chances, or are so obvious that the have to(example Boyle in game 5 of Caps/Wsh, dumb slash to back of leg, while it was away from play it was so obvious the ref called it), they usually dont call the minor junk that does nothing to effect anything. Im fine with that in the playoffs.
The problem is, what affects a scoring chance? Take the Pens tying goal against the Isles in game 6. Blatant trip on Colin McDonald when he may or may not have had a scoring chance. No penalty called, Pittsburgh is able to move the puck up the ice quickly and score 20 seconds later. No way the ref could have known that Pitt would get a scoring chance off that trip, but it happened.

Not blaming the officials for the loss because that is the way the game is called in the playoffs. But it shouldn't be. If a player wasn't gaining an advantage by tripping/hooking/holding, they wouldn't do it. Obviously the player's think they are either preventing the other team from getting a chance or creating one themselves.

Then there is the fact that the refs are now being asked to make two judgment calls on every play: 1) was there a penalty; and 2) was there a scoring chance. The more judgment calls the more inconsistent the calls will be.

Another problem is that this is bad for the growth of the sport. The reason the league tightened up on interference a few years ago was to create more offense and let the skilled players show their skill. Now, with the NHL on its biggest stage, the casual fans are seeing a repeat of the early 2000's.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

There is only one rule book and there should only be one application to that rule book, whether it's regular season or playoffs. Call it the same way, which ever way you want, but be consistent. This will allow for teams to built their line-up one way without being put at a disadvantage.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Sorry boys. Its not like that.

You want the roughing to be let go thats fine, then they are going to let the BS crap let go as well. As they are.

You cant say you want only certain minor stuff called and other minor stuff not called. They disregard ALL minor crap.

Seems like a few are voting and not understanding.
I'm pretty sure after the previous lockout they called a TON of hooking and obstruction but you still had some nice hits and physical play. This is what I'd like to see. Call the stuff that impedes movement and stickhandling and leave the warrior element intact.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote