HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Get Pierre Mcguire off National TV

Old
05-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
Pierre is great. World Juniors aren't the same without his insight.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:46 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Last night there was another embarassing Pierre moment.

"And here they come, Okposo-Tavares-Bailey after the icing..."
...As camera zooms in on Okposo at the bench. He's so close to the ice, can't he see it's #24 (Boyes), not 21?

Another thing I hate about Pierre is that he will always mention what university the player attended. I don't have a problem with collegiate hockey, mind you. I don't have a problem with players carrying that school pride to the pro level and announcers mentioning their alma mater, either. Yet WHY. DO. YOU. HAVE. TO. DO. IT. TEN. TIMES. A. GAME??? It sounds like bragging about knowing each player's NCAA team.

By the way, on CSN Washington, Alan May does a great job between the benches. They put him there two or three times a year (he's a full-time in-studio analyst), but I was very impressed with how he's been able to think so quick to provide good analysis on the fly. And he is a former player! I think he would do sooo much better than McGuire on national TV, because A) He isn't nearly as annoying and hysterical and B) His analysis is relevant, he knows what he's talking about.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

I like Pierre.

I'll agree Milbury should get booted. What insight does he offer besides nasty jabs at players he does not like? Atleast Pierre doesn't make his mancrushs obvious.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Last night there was another embarassing Pierre moment.

"And here they come, Okposo-Tavares-Bailey after the icing..."
...As camera zooms in on Okposo at the bench. He's so close to the ice, can't he see it's #24 (Boyes), not 21?

Another thing I hate about Pierre is that he will always mention what university the player attended. I don't have a problem with collegiate hockey, mind you. I don't have a problem with players carrying that school pride to the pro level and announcers mentioning their alma mater, either. Yet WHY. DO. YOU. HAVE. TO. DO. IT. TEN. TIMES. A. GAME??? It sounds like bragging about knowing each player's NCAA team.

By the way, on CSN Washington, Alan May does a great job between the benches. They put him there two or three times a year (he's a full-time in-studio analyst), but I was very impressed with how he's been able to think so quick to provide good analysis on the fly. And he is a former player! I think he would do sooo much better than McGuire on national TV, because A) He isn't nearly as annoying and hysterical and B) His analysis is relevant, he knows what he's talking about.
Not a University...but if he mentions Shaddach St. Marys again I might have to choke a commentator.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:12 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Pierre is great. World Juniors aren't the same without his insight.
Absolutely.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:14 AM
SteelFish87*

hard to complain about Pierre when NBC has imbeciles like Milbury, Jones, and Roenick commenting on the game

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:43 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
hard to complain about Pierre when NBC has imbeciles like Milbury, Jones, and Roenick commenting on the game
Roenick is great.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:20 AM
benusmc

I think he does a good job

benusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:25 AM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
I know I am not the only one. During warmups, bring signs, etc and make your voice heard. It is time for him to be off TV.

He seriously takes away from broadcasts, and tries to be the "star" of every game.
I've been saying this for years. Take him off TV period. He has a face made for radio anyways.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Broad st phantom

people always say he shows favoritism, flyer vs pens for example, flyers fans cry that he loves Crosby so much, while pens fans cry that he loves Giroux so much. The truth is he pretty much distributes his love affair for players on both sides, most people are blind and cant get away from homer-ism. I also think Pierre has good insight on a players career, where he played in juniors and college and ect. Pierre is a little weird, but he does his job a lot better then well.... any one else, that's why he's on prime time.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:16 PM
dystemper

pierre is awesome. hockey needs more strong personalities. hockey fans in general seem averse to anyone who breaks away from saying the same tired cliches over and over.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:24 PM
qc

It's like that book "The Giver." Pierre must find a young receiver of memory, or else our next generation will never know which 4th line players went to high school in Regina.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Cranky and Proud.

vCash: 0
Pierre is a bit of a homer sometimes, and he's kind creepy.

But he is also a walking encyclopedia of hockey knowledge.

Seriously, I've never heard any other commentator with as much sheer knowledge as he has.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:55 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Seriously, I've never heard any other commentator with as much sheer knowledge as he has.
Regurgitation of facts =/= knowledge. For every relevant, spot-on comment he makes that enhances the broadcast, he blurts out a half dozen that are cringe worthy and pointless.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Regurgitation of facts =/= knowledge. For every relevant, spot-on comment he makes that enhances the broadcast, he blurts out a half dozen that are cringe worthy and pointless.
Sounds like an HF poster on commentary.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Consider the Michael Nylander situation. McGuire would throw his arm around the young Swede and tell him he loved him like a son. He told him they would lead the Whalers to great heights. But after a humiliating 9-2 loss in Montreal -- a humiliation that should have shared by 20 players -- McGuire embarrassed Nylander by insisting he be sent to Springfield. Then McGuire told some people, including Gordon, that four or five players were tired of Nylander not playing defense and were prepared to beat him up if he weren't demoted. There's no truth to that, Burke and Verbeek said.

Quote:
But the coach should not be calling the owner every night like McGuire did. It's not healthy for the coach to be telling the owner how he outcoached Ed Johnston or Brian Sutter. It also isn't smart.

Quote:
In a blistering post-mortem, captain Pat Verbeek called McGuire's firing the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said other teams mocked their coach. He said his own teammates had no respect for McGuire. He said a number of players wouldn't have wanted to play in Hartford anymore.
lol

I always disliked the guy and found him annoying, but turns out the whole league did in the early 90s. I'd love for him to be given another coaching or GM assignment around the league just for the ridiculousness that would come out of it.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Dream Big

It’s simple really.

I too, like those I know better than those I don’t know . I think that is part of the problem in that he has a lot of knowledge about some players and knows nothing or little about others.

Listen to whom he talks about. Usually someone from the east coast who he would have seen a lot of or the occasional other player that he picked up knowledge about. If he doesn’t know much about a player then he doesn’t have anything to say. The problem for us listeners is that it comes across as biased when in fact it is a knowledge gap. You can’t expect him to know the biography of every NHL player.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:13 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
pierre is awesome. hockey needs more strong personalities. hockey fans in general seem averse to anyone who breaks away from saying the same tired cliches over and over.
I thought McGuire is in the dictionary in the "tired cliche" article.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I don't hate McGuire as much as most Flyers fans, but I wish he wouldn't praise guys for embellishing and diving.

Call them out.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:33 PM
TwistedWrister90

I was watching the Flyers game like a month ago when Simmonds took a stick to the face then later on took a puck to the face. I think Dave Strader was the announcer and he said something like, "He's not going to want to look in the mirror tomorrow." Then Pierre nonchalantly was like, "Some of us have that problem every day Dave."

LOL Pierre is ****in hilarious and a damn good analyst

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 05-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Pierre is good and should stay. I'm fine with Jones and JR too. Milbury is a big problem for me

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
He wears his Penguins cup ring during every Penguins broadcast, deal with it.
Doesn't he hate us or something?

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:16 PM
HawkinMI

I think he read this thread and is purposely saying things just to annoy people today

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

I think he is great. He can be annoying but he is one of the few one air personalities with legit deep and wide hockey knowledge. I dislike how he asks rhetorical questions during the broadcasts its one of his many awkward styles but at least he talks normal rather than scream the play by play like Emrick and quote meaningless filler statistics all broadcast or even worse have laughable commentary by people like Milbury that seems more like comedy and entertainment. I'll take Mcguire's insight and passion for the game over them all.

Yes he can be aggravating though and sometimes his knowledge of where people played back in junior days is a little forced into the broadcast kinda comes off as a know it all

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Meob

Pierre repeats almost everything he says and that gets really annoying. Just now, "too many men, they have too many men and they know it, too many men.

and he occasionally says really stupid stuff. "That puck probably gains speed after it deflects!"

Meob is offline   Reply With Quote