HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2013-2014 NHL Schedules?

Old
07-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

vCash: 500
The NHL can't release the schedule 5 months before the season starts. Know why? Hockey doesn't have an off season that long. Look at it this way, the season ends in June, we get the schedule mid July. That's not too bad. If some of you want to piss and moan about not having the schedule by July 18, that's fine, but as far as I'm concerned you're acting like a bunch of spoiled jerk offs. shove it.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Some people, like me, have trips to plan The longer the wait the higher the cost of those trips and availability. At the moment, a mere inconvenience, but no schedule by the end of next week would be worrying.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, I could just see the NFL waiting until 10 weeks before opening night to release the schedule. Try 5 months. MLB? 6 months...before the current regular season actually ends. But no, the NHL can tell us whenever they feel like it's time to let us know.
It's little things like that which contribute to the NHL's poor marketing rap: the NHL is the #4 league in America and yet by far the one which takes it's loyal fans for granted.

Yes I remember the 90's when the schedule would be posted in news papers. You know what else was different back then? the information age was just a baby. It doesn't take as long to make the schedule since they have a computer program for it. And as we all know; the schedule is clearly done, they are sitting on it, losing out on potential revenue every day they choose to shun their fans.

A lot of work companies have rules that vacations must be booked at least 90 days in advance; well guess what, we are less than 90 days before puck drop. And as mentioned a lot of people combine NHL trips with NFL, MLB, NBA, or in my case the CHL. Kind of hard to do without a schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if the California and Florida teams and Phoenix have lower attendances in October for that reason

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Ok, so we've got two options for Division C.
Maybe they'll be sponsored divisions.

Reebok Atlantic Division
Geico Pacific Division
Bud Light Northwest Division

etc. Wouldn't that be great?

the saddest part is that deep down we all know it's a definite possibility.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:56 PM
leeaf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
The NHL can't release the schedule 5 months before the season starts. Know why? Hockey doesn't have an off season that long. Look at it this way, the season ends in June, we get the schedule mid July. That's not too bad. If some of you want to piss and moan about not having the schedule by July 18, that's fine, but as far as I'm concerned you're acting like a bunch of spoiled jerk offs. shove it.
Who says they have to wait until the finals end before starting on the schedule? MLB releases their schedules before the prior season is over some years and they have twice as many games.

Or a valid comparison is the NBA which has pretty much the same length; they have outright stated this year they will release their schedule on July 25th at 7 pm eastern time; meaning their fans aren't in the dark, they're not hovering around websites hoping it will pop up. They communicated with their fans when to expect it. Now you'd think the NHL would jump on that and try and crank their schedule out earlier in hopes that some fans of both leagues will plan on the NHL first since their schedule is out first. But of course that would require competent management from the NHL office.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Commence bickering about Bettman:

EJ Hradek ‏@EJHradek_NHL 1m
No Olympic or 2013 NHL schedule announcement today. Sorry, folks

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:58 PM
SensBruins4Ever

vCash: 5640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Commence bickering about Bettman:

EJ Hradek ‏@EJHradek_NHL 1m
No Olympic or 2013 NHL schedule announcement today. Sorry, folks
Whatever, i don't care anymore. It will probably be another month before the schedules are released knowing bettman.

SensBruins4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
umad?

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lepardi

Quote:
Yeah, I could just see the NFL waiting until 10 weeks before opening night to release the schedule. Try 5 months. MLB? 6 months...before the current regular season actually ends. But no, the NHL can tell us whenever they feel like it's time to let us know.
How many times have the NFL and the MLB gone to the Olympics? And how many of those times have the Olympics taken part in a developing country?

Lepardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:01 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
OK, it's your fault.

Please relax. There are likely an inordinate number of people blaming President Obama... or Edward Snowden... or the hairpiece of Barry Melrose... or a half-melted glacier near Banff for the schedule not being out yet. All you have to do is tune out the manic sometimes.

You are kind of wrong... the MLB schedule template is out before the season is over. People can hire computer operators to do this stuff anytime they want. The real issue is coordinating with the NBA (and the Olympics in this case) and dozens of arena operators who have smoked enough wacky weed in their lives to be desperately trying to sneak Justin Bieber concerts into the schedule.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:01 PM
leeaf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
How many times have the NFL and the MLB gone to the Olympics? And how many of those times have the Olympics taken part in a developing country?
What difference does that matter? The NHL knows they are going, the schedule is finished as evident by the Panthers being leaked.

I would like to know from those defending Bettman and the NHL why the NBA is giving it's fans a precise date and time for expecting the schedule while the NHL has left their fans completely in the dark?

Old
07-18-2013, 03:09 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Yeah, remind me again which geographic location contains florida and canada?
Here smarty pants.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4718--nhl.html

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:10 PM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Quote:
You could simply ignore the thread. Perhaps you just like calling everyone who has a different set of concerns than you "spoiled jerk offs."

And it's quite clear you don't find anything redeeming in other people's concerns, at least relating to the schedule release.

08SeaBass08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Bill Daly on the NHL schedule delay

"The parties are still working through what we hope are 'final' details on the terms of NHL Player participation in 2014 Winter Olympics," NHL Deputy Commissioner emailed the Star Tribune. "But it won't be 'done' until we have a complete agreement. And next year's schedule is obviously dependent on whether an agreement can be reached expeditiously."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/216051531.html

Old
07-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

How can it take this long to agree on the Olympics?!

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How can it take this long to agree on the Olympics?!
NHL management and NHL players are picky when it comes to stuff like hotels and transport. And Sochi is a small city in a poor country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
What difference does that matter? The NHL knows they are going, the schedule is finished as evident by the Panthers being leaked.
It matters, because it's all about the Olympics now. The schedule came out a lot earlier last year, and it will come out a lot earlier next year, because there will be no Olympics in 2015.

Quote:
I would like to know from those defending Bettman and the NHL why the NBA is giving it's fans a precise date and time for expecting the schedule while the NHL has left their fans completely in the dark?
Is it Bettman's fault that the NHL players are putting out demands that the Sochi people find hard to meet?

Lepardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:35 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Damn, if some of y'all didn't have Gary Bettman to blame for every little thing, you would have nothing to look forward to in your day.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:35 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Is it Bettman's fault that the NHL players are putting out demands that the Sochi people find hard to meet?
Pulling new and exciting things from your ass?

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:37 PM
leeaf83

Quote:
NHL management and NHL players are picky when it comes to stuff like hotels and transport. And Sochi is a small city in a poor country.

It matters, because it's all about the Olympics now. The schedule came out a lot earlier last year, and it will come out a lot earlier next year, because there will be no Olympics in 2015.

is there a possibility at this point that the NHL does NOT go to the olympics? Doesn't seem like there is, they would have drafted an alternate schedule if that was the case. And the league has drafted multiple schedules before; 1999 when the penguins were on the brink of bankruptcy, they drafted 3. Why aren't they at least providing deadlines and time tables?

The NFL and NBA announce as specific day and time for their schedules being released. While the MLB does provide a looser timeline, they do release it prior to the previous season ending. Yet another PR aspect where the NHL comes in 4th among the professional leagues.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
is there a possibility at this point that the NHL does NOT go to the olympics? Doesn't seem like there is, they would have drafted an alternate schedule if that was the case.
Of course there's an alternate schedule. Every team will get it if they don't agree to send players to the Olympics

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:14 PM
newjerseydamo

Send a message via MSN to newjerseydamo Send a message via Skype™ to newjerseydamo
Quote:
If some of you want to piss and moan about not having the schedule by July 18, that's fine, but as far as I'm concerned you're acting like a bunch of spoiled jerk offs. shove it.
you obviously didn't read the parts where many of us in this thread have posted saying we need it for international bookings, i.e. those of us that live outside of North America. not exactly a small thing, and pricing and availability can change at any moment.

but that's ok, just kindly take yourself and your ignorant attitude elsewhere thanks.

newjerseydamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseydamo View Post
you obviously didn't read the parts where many of us in this thread have posted saying we need it for international bookings, i.e. those of us that live outside of North America. not exactly a small thing, and pricing and availability can change at any moment.

but that's ok, just kindly take yourself and your ignorant attitude elsewhere thanks.
You honestly think the nhl cares about your travel arrangements? The schedule will come out soon. It may not be today or tomorrow, but it will be out soon. Then when it does you guys can find something else to whine about.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SeaBass08 View Post
You could simply ignore the thread. Perhaps you just like calling everyone who has a different set of concerns than you "spoiled jerk offs."

And it's quite clear you don't find anything redeeming in other people's concerns, at least relating to the schedule release.
Oh so if someone says something you don't agree with they should just ignore the thread? I have just as much right to post in here as you do you sarcastic *****.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 1m
Rumour has it that last minute Olympic meetings taking place overseas......... Expect announcement shortly! #goodnews

Old
07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Quote:
Oh so if someone says something you don't agree with they should just ignore the thread? I have just as much right to post in here as you do you sarcastic *****.
I'm not being sarcastic. I'm pointing out how your vitriol seems excessive. People are just antsy to make travel plans. Is that really being "selfish ********?" I just didn't see a need for you to insult anyone, especially over this, and I called you on it.

And, yes, of course you have a "right" to post here. It's in the First Amendment.

Now, THAT was being sarcastic. *****, indeed.

08SeaBass08 is offline   Reply With Quote