HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Will Karlsson ever be the same?

Old
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
corksens

vCash: 500
It's pretty sad, and unfair, that we are even talking about this.

But he will return to form in 2014.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:23 AM
tony d
The man

Yeah, eventually he will, I think. I just hope we didn't rush him back to quick from the injury.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:59 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I am starting to have some doubts. I don't know how MacLean has him out there when he is hardly skating, shying away from any contact and just looks slow. I don't see how a 100% Benoit is not better than a 50% Karlsson.

coladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:04 AM
dpw

It's really embarrassing watching him out there. No willingness to go to battle in the boards. Methot is his personal junkyard dog. Even when he's closer to the puck in our own end he just skates backwards to the front of the net and expects Methot to go do all the dirty work.

It's getting really annoying actually. He pinches on every play, very lazy like.

I think he should sit to either rest his injury (if he even has one), or just a healthy scratch to send him a message. Or dress 7 D and play him only on the powerplay or something.

This is not how you compete in the playoffs. He looks worst then rookie Karlsson.

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw View Post
It's really embarrassing watching him out there. No willingness to go to battle in the boards. Methot is his personal junkyard dog. Even when he's closer to the puck in our own end he just skates backwards to the front of the net and expects Methot to go do all the dirty work.

It's getting really annoying actually. He pinches on every play, very lazy like.

I think he should sit to either rest his injury (if he even has one), or just a healthy scratch to send him a message. Or dress 7 D and play him only on the powerplay or something.

This is not how you compete in the playoffs. He looks worst then rookie Karlsson.
Don't you think it's totally weird how last year, he was our best player in the playoffs... and this year he totally sucks????

Proust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Ragged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
He looked like less of a liability than Cowen last night. He's also got a ppg pace.
Even at 50% he's still our best D.
I would say at 50%, he's still (by far) our best offensive D and adequate at best defensively (unfortunately). That extra gear he's still looking for is obviously messing up his game. I'd hoped a few days off would help but last night was disappointing. In fact, I thought he looked better in the Montreal series. Makes me wonder if at least part of the issue last night was psychological. I know Erik said it was 'old news', but that stuff doesn't just go away.

Ragged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:11 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think some people forget how bad our PP looked before Karlsson came back.

Sure he gave up a shorty.

But without him, my God.

We'd go entire games without a shot on the PP.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:19 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

i thought he looked better at both ends of the rink as the game went on last night. he's getting there.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Gesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
i thought he looked better at both ends of the rink as the game went on last night. he's getting there.
I agree, he was starting to be more aggressive. I think his problem is mostly do to a lack of confidence in both his ankle and his game.

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'JESUS' Joe-Corvo View Post
I agree, he was starting to be more aggressive. I think his problem is mostly do to a lack of confidence in both his ankle and his game.
I don't think confidence is an issue. Last night he said sometimes **** happens, on Twitter he basically said he was going to make turnovers and make mistakes and isn't worried about it. He just simply has lost a step since his injury. The Penguins are going to continue to try and exploit him; he presently doesn't have the explosive speed to take the game over as he has before.

You can't make him a healthy scratch, that would just be insane and there would be a huge blow-up over it if it happened. Mac should probably peel back his icetime though. Have 'lips and Gonchar play against Malkin, Cowen and Wier/X against Crosby, Karlsson and Methot against lower pairing guys to minimize goals against and chances against.
I like Erik and all but this isn't game 32 against the Islanders or whatever. These games count, the team is down 0-1 at the moment and can't afford to take needless risks.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Our breakouts on the PP have improved tremendously since Karlsson got back. Now our problem is that there is 0 success with whatever we try down low. It seems like the only option is a shot from the point but all of our shooters look gunshy (EK, Gonch, Alfi).

That is one reason why I would welcome a Wiercioch-Gonchar combo on the PP.

Pageau-Turris-Greening
Alfi-Karlsson

Silfverberg-Zibby-Michalek
Gonch-Wiercioch

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
enviro61

I'm bothered by what is happening. It is obvious the Sens are rushing players back and should be sitting them out. You can not trust a players judgement to decide when they come back as many ex players have said before. Doctors reach a point where they have to rely on the word of the patient and we can all plainly observe that a lot of these injured guys are not performing up to par.

If we did not make or were not gunning for the playoffs I highly doubt Cowen, Michalek, Karlsson or Spezza would have seen any playing time this year. The evidence is there from countless stories of players past that they come back long before they are ready.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
simplefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'JESUS' Joe-Corvo View Post
Exactly!!!! I dont think that his ankle is physically giving issues. It`s more conditionning and timing. Because, you could see him hesitant one second then Norris Karlsson comes out, accelerating, beating two , three forecheckers.

I don`t think he was bad yesterday. He was average.
In the offensive zone, he was pretty good. He made good plays. He skated pretty well but his killer lateral skating is not there. If he had it, we would have scored on the powerplay.

In the defensive zone, he was not too bad. At least, not as bad as Cowen. He still made some smart choices, tried to make some outlet passes, skated the puck out of the zone. He did not do any major mistakes. Occasionaly, Norris Karlsson accelerated and beated few forecheckers.

But you ask me why he did not come back on the bad pinch he did....Normally, Norris Karlsson would have rushed back and pickpocketed the puck. But, he looked gased and Norris Karlsson had amazing stamina.....

Simply,Karlsson is out of shape and he chosing to be slow, because he doesnt trust his body to catch up in case of a mistake.

simplefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

I think he needs to play less minutes right now. He's becoming something of a liability and I don't think the team we're playing against will make it any easier.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Cowen Time

The team is much better with EK in right now that out. But, as someone posted a while back he doesn't have his cartoon speed back yet. A couple of times guys went around him in situations that just would not happed before.

I'm putting faith in the reports that say he can't do any harm by playing, and it will take the better part of a year for a full recovery. The option is to depressing.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Ragged

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Alfie View Post
The team is much better with EK in right now that out. But, as someone posted a while back he doesn't have his cartoon speed back yet. A couple of times guys went around him in situations that just would not happed before.

I'm putting faith in the reports that say he can't do any harm by playing, and it will take the better part of a year for a full recovery. The option is to depressing.
Haha! Yep, his 'video-game-like' speed burst. Obviously if there was any, I mean any chance this would jeopardize his career, he'd be sitting. Gotta trust the team on this one.

It just really burns me that we got our butts handed to us by the team that was responsible for the injury. They hurt him and are now reaping the benefits. EK bagging a couple of goals next game would take some of the sting out.

Ragged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Stef*

We have 2 superstars
Only 2
Not the pens here with the truck loaded

And one is hurt

So the other one MUST take over

Plz65

Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
We have 2 superstars
Only 2
Not the pens here with the truck loaded

And one is hurt

So the other one MUST take over

Plz65
One is hurt, one is skating on one leg.

EK is putting too much pressure on himself I think and getting frustrated and trying to push plays he would have made pre-injury. He's still adapting to playing without his speed.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Oh no EK made one bad play which caused a SHG, so he's not a perfect hockey player...no way!!

Some of you are absolutely off the wall with some of your comments criticizing EK. The answer to the question is YES he will get back to 100% sometime next season, I'd say a month or so in after a strong summer of work and training camp. For anyone thinking that we're going to get old Karlsson in the playoffs, it's just not going to happen and you need to temper your expectations.

That goal he had in Game 1 vs Mtrl was pretty damn close to old Karlsson.

People need to stop worrying so much and just enjoy watching him play and be fortunate he's helping us during this run at all.

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:56 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Anyways, on that 4th goal Andy should have had it. He went down too early and was too deep in his net.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Oh no EK made one bad play which caused a SHG, so he's not a perfect hockey player...no way!!
NO! I demand he play safe and not pinch when we're down 2 goals.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
I am starting to have some doubts. I don't know how MacLean has him out there when he is hardly skating, shying away from any contact and just looks slow. I don't see how a 100% Benoit is not better than a 50% Karlsson.
Not sure which games you're watching but Karlsson is WAY above 50% right now. I'd put him at 75-80%

He's not shying away from anything, he's been battling in the corners, starting rushes, making some crisp break out passes, his timing and speed has slowly been coming back and he has been a beast on the PP setting things up.

Don't EVER suggest using Benoit over Karlsson in any situation. I think I just threw up my lunch a little bit with that comment.

Sorry but, I know you're just trying to state your opinion but it just blows. You are being way too hard on Karlsson. You're expecting him to do things he was doing before the injury and that's just not fair. He's still a very effective player for us and usually better than half of the other teams guys.

You don't EK at his current status is still more reliable and making bigger contributions than say Paul Martin? He definitely is.

Ease up will ya

Old
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
NO! I demand he play safe and not pinch when we're down 2 goals.
Pinch? It was a PP. What the hell was he supposed to do? Stay back and play in conservative when we needed a quick goal to get back in the game?

He did what any elite player would do trying to give their team a chance. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. And for all we know he was just taking order from Mac. I highly doubt that Mac would have wanted his best PP guy to be playing it "safe" when there was 10 minutes left in the game.

And you demand? Don't be one of those fans please......these boards are getting messy after just ONE loss.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:06 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
And you demand? Don't be one of those fans please......these boards are getting messy after just ONE loss.
I was kidding. Safe is death.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
In fairness, there was also that craptacular turnover to Ryan White that led to a goal.

Quote:
Some of you are absolutely off the wall with some of your comments criticizing EK. The answer to the question is YES he will get back to 100% sometime next season, I'd say a month or so in after a strong summer of work and training camp. For anyone thinking that we're going to get old Karlsson in the playoffs, it's just not going to happen and you need to temper your expectations.
Well, I'm not blaming the boy, he's doing the best he can, I'm sure, I'm questioning the idea of having him in the lineup at all. Is the team CLEARLY better with him limping out there? I'd say it's dubious at best.

He should have been shutdown for the year IMO, long term good of the franchise and all. I'm still having nightmares of the Redskins dragging out a completly inefficient RGIII down after down until that knee of his bent in the wrong direction in disgusting fashion.

Last edited by Suiteness: 05-15-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote