HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 11:43 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
That's $18M for their top 3 centers. Well, Pittsburgh has managed that for its top 2 centers for a number of years (with better players, of course), and LA's doing it right now with their top 3 (I'm considering Richards and Carter to be centers, though I believe Carter moves around a bit). Detroit and San Jose are doing $16M with their top 3 centers also. Chicago's right around that number for their top 3 centers as well. Given the recent success of these teams, perhaps it's not a bad idea after all. :-)

I suppose it can be done, but if they do that, they're going to likely have to choose which position they're going to skimp on salary down the road, even if they go all the way to a $70Mish cap.
The good thing is fans didn't stay away from the game. There will be multiple outdoor games per year moving forward. 13/14 is the salary contraction year. Starting in 14/15 we will probably begin to see the salary cap (still tied to league revenues) jumping back upwards...so we lock the 3 amigos in at 18Mish for 4-6 years I think we'll still have room left as the cap grows to keep giving raises to the d-men and wingers as they mature and earn them with room left to add or trade for pieces as necessary. We're in a good spot cap wise even if ROR's deal threw a bit of a wrench in the cap structure we're still pretty solid.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Burmistrov wont resign with the Jets this year.

Would love to pick him up on the Avs, but I doubt the Jets will be looking to move him into the same division unfortunately.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Burmistrov wont resign with the Jets this year.

Would love to pick him up on the Avs, but I doubt the Jets will be looking to move him into the same division unfortunately.
Not sure I really believe it, but I'm not super high on Burmi. Loads of talent, just can't seem to do much with it. For a team looking for a reclamation project (and a #2/3 center opening) he might be a good risk to take for a 2nd rounder.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Nihiliste

I would be pretty happy to acquire Burmistrov to develop him into a good 3C if he could be acquired for a reasonable price.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Burmi's better on the wing.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:58 PM
MartinLetain21

Everybodies favorite rumor churner Eklund thinks Colorado is one team that could make a offer for Ryan Miller. He's still got a good 3-5 years left of superstar goaltending. I'd love to acquire him. Would probably have to trade Stastny as part of deal to make the money work with the cap.

Stastny and Varlamov for Miller and 2nd round pick?

We get a legit starter with consistency and someone to groom Pickard or Sami.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLetain21 View Post
Everybodies favorite rumor churner Eklund thinks Colorado is one team that could make a offer for Ryan Miller. He's still got a good 3-5 years left of superstar goaltending. I'd love to acquire him. Would probably have to trade Stastny as part of deal to make the money work with the cap.

Varlamov is a legit starter and as good as, if not better than, Miller.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:

I don't think Buffalo would want Varly. Something around Stastny for Miller could work though, and I wouldn't be totally opposed. I just hate giving up on Varly without him having much of a defense in front of him. I say give Varly another year to see if he can establish himself, and if he can't then look at other options.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:04 PM
MartinLetain21

Varly has been up and down his first 2 seasons here. Goes through stretches of unreal goaltending, then gets his confidence rattled and falls apart for a few weeks. Mind you he's had subpar defence in front of him. Maybe some better D men and a better coaching style can help him out.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't think Buffalo would want Varly. Something around Stastny for Miller could work though, and I wouldn't be totally opposed. I just hate giving up on Varly without him having much of a defense in front of him. I say give Varly another year to see if he can establish himself, and if he can't then look at other options.
Miller has been horrible over the last few years... And the defense in front of him is miles ahead of ours. NO, no, and NOOOO.

Hes a headcase and wines to the media way too much. No way the Avs touch that.

I'd rather over pay Smith if they really believe Varly isn't going to cut it. (And I don't like that idea eaither) I really believe they need to give Varly this season to see what he can do behind a better system and better defense. He was a major part of why the team was able to stay at .500 over before the collapse. In the first half, Duchene, PA, EJ, and Varly were our best players.

Get a full time goalie coach and stay the hell away from that cry baby Miller, Varlamov could of done a lot of complaining this season but didn't. In every quote (what little there was) he always said that he needed to be better, and shared the blame for losses. Even though it was quite clear in a lot of games that there was little he could of done.

Varly has the talent, competitive edge, and attitude that we want on this team.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Miller has been horrible over the last few years... And the defense in front of him is miles ahead of ours. NO, no, and NOOOO.

I'd rather over pay Smith if they really believe Varly isn't going to cut it. (And I don't like that idea eaither) I really believe they need to give Varly this season to see what he can do behind a better system and better defense. He was a major part of why the team was able to stay at .500 over before the collapse. In the first half, Duchene, PA, EJ, and Varly were our best players.
Horrible is stretch. He has had save percentages of .915, .916, and .916 the last 3 seasons. He has been average to above average, it just looks worse because he was elite for the 2 years prior.

I agree that Varly should be given more time.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Horrible is stretch. He has had save percentages of .915, .916, and .916 the last 3 seasons. He has been average to above average, it just looks worse because he was elite for the 2 years prior.

I agree that Varly should be given more time.
It's not so much about his numbers as to when he makes saves, and his compete level. He complains about his team publicly regardless of how he actually plays.

I don't care what his numbers are, hes deflated that team by letting in bad goals for so long I can barely remember when he was good. (I'll admit this is hard to prove, but it's what I come away with after watching him. I was a pretty serious fan of his especially after the Olympics where he played amazing.)

Perhaps 'horrible' is not correct simply when talking about his over all on ice performance, but you combine what hes done on the ice with his attitude and willingness to lay blame everywhere but himself. Hes been horrible...

That team should of shoved Miller out the door before anyone else.

I usually don't fall for media BS and attacks on players character, I've been an avid supporter of Alex Semin for a long time. However with Miller, there is no mistaking the BS with him when he sticks his face in front of the cameras and makes the statements that he has in combination with his actual on ice play.

I don't want that headcase on our team plain and simple.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Huge no on Miller.

Contracts, age, and everything taken into consideration I would take Varly over Miller every day of the week.

His level of play has headed down hill quickly the last couple of years.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Nibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Buffalo are rebuilding. They're not going to ship out most of their future for MacKinnon.
Au contraire... I, as a Sabres fan, would be willing to give up Myers, Grigorenko, and both of our 1sts (8th + 16th overalls), and probably even more for the chance to draft MacKinnon. But that's just me...

Old
05-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Nibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post

I get to see Miller play every game and for the better part of the last few years he has been pretty solid. Nowhere near his Vezina year, but good enough I think.

He's not so much of a head case as he is intense. He gets fired up and voices his opinion, and most of the time he's right.

Still, I don't think you guys should trade for him. Varlamov could still turn into a very good goaltender for you, and if not then you can grab a cheaper stop-gap from somewhere else.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:09 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Varlamov is a legit starter and as good as, if not better than, Miller.
This. Miller was awful in all the games I saw him in this season...

Old
05-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
This. Miller was awful in all the games I saw him in this season...
Did you happen to watch Varlamov?

Goalie A had a 2.81 GAA and a .915 SV%
Goalie B had a 3.02 GAA and a .903 SV%

The homerism on this board is out of control. It's laughable.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Depending on the cost I'd be down for getting Ryan Miller. Maybe work something with Varly as the centerpiece.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
MartinLetain21

I'm not even sure they would want Varlamov. They have Enroth who has been playing great for them.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Did you happen to watch Varlamov?

Goalie A had a 2.81 GAA and a .915 SV%
Goalie B had a 3.02 GAA and a .903 SV%

The homerism on this board is out of control. It's laughable.
did you watch varlamov the first half of the season? , was looking really good, trailed off after the decline was on, also i'll take buffalo's D over ours anyday of the week

Old
05-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

If Roy twists Kroenke's arm into spending more, how about this name? Iginla.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If Roy twists Kroenke's arm into spending more, how about this name? Iginla.
Re-signed by Pit. Think we could get Jagr though.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
shadow1

Quote:

Trading for Ryan Miller on the cheap would be well worth it, but Paul Stastny + Semyon Varlamov wouldn't fall under that classification.

Anyway, Buffalo just traded for Matt Hackett and Jhonas Enroth will start for them next season, so I don't even think they'd want a goalie in return.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
did you watch varlamov the first half of the season? , was looking really good, trailed off after the decline was on, also i'll take buffalo's D over ours anyday of the week
Christian Erhoff is not much better than Erik Johnson
Andrej Sekera is not better than Tyson Barrie

Tyler Myers, Mike Weber, Alexander Sultzer, Adam Pardy are not much better than Hedja, Elliot, Hunwick and a healthy Wilson.

I wish people would quit using our defense as an excuse to why Varlamov had a pathetic season. It was not the D's fault that Varly gave up at least one soft goal per game. It was not the D's fault that he had terrible rebound control. It is not the D's fault that Varly's has the confidence of a 5 year old girl.

The fact of the matter is that Ryan Miller is a class above Varlamov. If we want to win now and if we can aquire him, we would be foolish to pass because we have Semyon Varlamov, who at this point, has to fight to even be named the starter for next season with JS Giguere.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Foppa2118

After seeing how good I think Jones can be offensively, I'm starting to shift gears on who the best partner for EJ might be. Before I thought a more offensive guy would be first choice, but now I'm starting to wonder about that.

If we have Jones, and one or both of Elliott and Barrie on the other two pairings, that would mean that we don't have any pairings that have two guys capable of playing good defense. Essentially no shutdown pair. I think Jones can have a good defensive game, but that might be asking for too much his first few seasons.

Braydon Coburn has always been my backup choice, but I think I'm starting to think he may be the perfect choice. He's also more realistic given Philly's need to cut salary, and he will be more affordable than a guy like Yandle. Coincidentally, who the Flyer's may pursue themselves, and would then very likely move the LH Coburn. I think I'd move the #32 pick for him, given he's under contract another three years at a very reasonable $4.5M.

He's not just a defensive guy either which makes him perfect. He's a 25-35 pt guy, which IMO is also what EJ is at worst. So you lean on them as your shutdown duo you match up against guys, and who also move the puck well and chip in offensively. Then you let Jones and Elliott/Barrie play in the more offensive situations.

I know I'm one of the few that isn't worried about trading Barrie, but he could then be moved for a more offensive winger to play with O'Reilly and Landy to balance out the top two scoring lines. Maybe even Pomminville, and then hope you can talk him into re-signing at the end of the year after he sees the promise of this team. Minny is rumored to be thinking about trading him for cap reasons. I'd take that gambe personally, but I'm sure most would be scared of losing Barrie for nothing. As I think you can see though, the D should be ok without him, even if they didn't win the gamble.

Then they'd have a pretty reasonable top two lines, and could look into making the 3rd more defensive going forward if they choose to move on without Staz.

Downie - Duchene - PAP
Landy - O'Reilly - Pomminville
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
McLeod - Olver - Bordy

Coburn - EJ
Hejda - Jones
O'Brien - Elliott

With Siemens waiting in the wings to play with Elliott as a callup.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 05-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Closed Thread