HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 10:21 AM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Because Habs fans seem so interested in Staz I decided to look around their forum at what they keep proposing and I'm ready to puke. Offers on par with TML bad or just a bunch of people saying Plekenac is better than him, etc.

Is there really any situation where Staz isn't underrated? Even on these boards people underrate him. Sacco really did a number on his career and I would like nothing more than to see him out in a position to succeed and extended next season, rather than traded for whatever garbage teams offer us.
I agree and I think the Avs know how good Stastny is or can be at least. If he gets traded in 2013 the return will surprise many people imo. However, I doubt he'll get traded this year.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
I agree and I think the Avs know how good Stastny is or can be at least. If he gets traded in 2013 the return will surprise many people imo. However, I doubt he'll get traded this year.
One way or the other this situation will be resolved by the Trade Deadline this year, because the Avalanche cannot continue letting trade chips/pieces walk away as UFA's.

They did right with Winnik, he wanted too much money to re-sign. McClemment came out of no where leaving, also considering we offered more than Toronto did.

But if it comes that Stastny won't re-sign at a more Cap/Team Friendly deal, then they need to trade him by the Trade Deadline. At that point his actual dollars won't mean much to most teams, and the Avs should still be able to get a nice price for him, considering his age and that he'd most likely be one of, if not the most, sought after C on the market.

No matter where I try to roam, it only goes to show, I'm such a long, long way from home.
Old
05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Lefty9420

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I agree but it was pretty clear to a lot of us that he was special. You don't hear us *****ing and moaning about the Superstar Wyatt Smith, Travis Brigley, Jim Cummins, Chris Durno, Kelly Fairchild or Kevin Porter not being resigned. The pluggers and grinders I get upset about being let go actually provided something that was missing or in short supply on the team (Lappy, Hendricks to a lesser degree Guite, etc..) I'm not saying they can't be replaced (it's easier than replacing a Drury or Tanguay) but the fact is the replacements weren't as effective or as good. I do believe it's important for your 3rd and 4th lines to be better than your opponents 3rd and 4th lines in order to maintain an elite status. Those lines have often been an after thought with the AVs.
Anyone who gives Travis Brigley and Kelly Fairchild (2 of my favorite former favorite Hershey Bears) a shout-out automatically jumps to the top of my favorite poster list

Also if we are looking for 4th line center/grit why not look at Cody MCormick, cant see Buffalo bringing him back.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:38 AM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
Anyone who gives Travis Brigley and Kelly Fairchild (2 of my favorite former favorite Hershey Bears) a shout-out automatically jumps to the top of my favorite poster list

Also if we are looking for 4th line center/grit why not look at Cody MCormick, cant see Buffalo bringing him back.
People who know me or have been around for a while, know that I am a huge Cody "Thor" McCormick fan. I don't think he ever lost a fight while in an Avs uniform

I would love to see him back, but I'm not sure realistically where he'd fit in.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:47 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
People who know me or have been around for a while, know that I am a huge Cody "Thor" McCormick fan. I don't think he ever lost a fight while in an Avs uniform

I would love to see him back, but I'm not sure realistically where he'd fit in.
Haha, I'm glad someone remembers the Thor thing. Didn't expect it to stick around when I first started it.

Would love him on the fourth line, re-unite the Cody's, throw Bordeleau on that line and they'll put the fear of god in people.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:59 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Haha, I'm glad someone remembers the Thor thing. Didn't expect it to stick around when I first started it.

Would love him on the fourth line, re-unite the Cody's, throw Bordeleau on that line and they'll put the fear of god in people.
No center there. Hate Thor at C, he can't skate for goodness sake.

Would prefer a defensively responsible, better skating and faceoff guy there.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
No center there. Hate Thor at C, he can't skate for goodness sake.

Would prefer a defensively responsible, better skating and faceoff guy there.
Perfect scenario would be to get Boyd Gordon at C, then play McCleod, Gordon and a real big hitter on that other wing.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:05 AM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Perfect scenario would be to get Boyd Gordon at C, then play McCleod, Gordon and a real big hitter on that other wing.
I believe that other guy could be Bordeleau. Given his role on the team last year, I'd say he exceeded the expectations placed upon him, I'd like to see him given another contract.

He's big, he's tough, and he even scored 2 goals!

In all reality, he's a guy that would be nice to have on that 4th line, to be that "enforcer"/"tough guy" when/if other teams start attempting to take liberties with our star players

Old
05-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Congo Jack
is a big fat mess.

Thought i'd post this here.

Wolski to Torpedo of KHL http://webhokej24.sk/rusko/khl-komen...-z-washingtonu

Quite the decline he's had since he was traded.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because Habs fans seem so interested in Staz I decided to look around their forum at what they keep proposing and I'm ready to puke. Offers on par with TML bad or just a bunch of people saying Plekenac is better than him, etc. Now one of them wants Desharnai over Staz... mind = blown.

Is there really any situation where Staz isn't underrated? Even on these boards people underrate him. Sacco really did a number on his career and I would like nothing more than to see him out in a position to succeed and extended next season, rather than traded for whatever garbage teams offer us.
There's bound to be some ignoramuses with that large of a fanbase. And FTR Paulie and Plekanec aren't that far off, Tomas is a terrific defensive center who can chip in points as well, I'd say they're close in value and there's still some fools who'd want to get rid of Plekanec because they simply don't understand how valuable he is to the CH as their go to center in almost any situation.

DD's a guy I like because he has a lot of heart and you can't teach that, I hope he sticks in the NHL for a long time, but he's not at the same level as Paulie, not even close.

Avs and Habs don't make good trading partners that the only thing that's sure, both teams are deep at centre and both teams need help on defense, the impact Yemelin's injury had on the Habs defense as a whole was almost catastrophic and it pretty much showed they lack dpth to replace players who go down, Diaz being banged up didn't help either..

Old
05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Jack View Post
Thought i'd post this here.

Wolski to Torpedo of KHL http://webhokej24.sk/rusko/khl-komen...-z-washingtonu

Quite the decline he's had since he was traded.
I remember the outrage amongst the Avs fanbase when they annonced he was traded for Mueller and Porter. Fun times.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
ABasin
Something's wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post

No thanks. Don't want him or Hendricks. Not that I mind either one of them, but with McLeod and Bordeleau out there, there's no need for another tough guy. I'd rather have one who can skate and kill penalties. It'd be nice for the top two centers to not have to kill too many penalties. While I've often shrugged at McClement leaving, I think the Avs missed that last season - not McClement per se, but that 4th line center who is valuable on the PK. Though I'd like one who can skate well this time around.

Richardson is a suggestion that I'd be on board with.

Last edited by ABasin: 05-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old
05-20-2013, 11:52 AM
henchman24
If and if...

A Plekanec + for Stastny deal would be a pretty ideal trade IMO. The + would have to be something good, but doesn't have to be a top tier prospect or pick. I'd say that if you can get a Plekanec + Collberg for Stastny + depth defensemen (maybe even Wilson if Montreal really insisted) you make that trade everyday of the week.

Plekanec would be an ideal 2/3C to pair with ROR and Duchene. If one got injured he could easily step into a bigger role, it still allows the Avs to roll 3 really good lines, and his salary would be very friendly to next summer.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Sorry, how is that ideal?

So, instead of Stastny at $6.6m(and perhaps re-sign to a contract a bit lower), we go for an inferior player in Plekanec(not by much, though) at $5m per for another 3 years... we still have the 3 highly paid centers and no wingers for them.

I don't see how that's ideal but then again, I've seen some people here propose and be open to any and every single kind of Stastny deal possible.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
No thanks. Don't want him or Hendricks. Not that I mind either one of them, but with McLeod and Bordeleau out there, there's no need for another tough guy. I'd rather have one who can skate and kill penalties. It'd be nice for the top two centers to not have to kill too many penalties. While I've often shrugged at McClement leaving, I think the Avs missed that last season - not McClement per se, but that 4th line center who is valuable on the PK. Though I'd like one who can skate well this time around.

Richardson is a suggestion that I'd be on board with.
I'd absolutely be on board with this. I'm so happy that he got a Ring and got his name on the Cup.

That's a player I always thought the Avs should have held on to...just has a wicked wrist shot, a good depth player.

Like you I'd be absolutely on board with him coming back into the fold.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Richardson has been above 50% in face-off percentage twice in the past five years(one of them being 50.8%). This past season, he was 48.2% on the draws.

Compare that to:

Duchene - 54.6%
O'Reilly - 52.8%
Stastny - 52.4%

Now considering the above 3 likely won't be taking too many PK draws(or we don't want them to), I'd prefer a 4th line center with much better faceoff abilities. A dude like Boyd Gordon was 57.3% in the circle and has been above 55.8% every season he's been in the league. That's the type of guy I'd want.

Richardson is a nice guy, though.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:20 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Sorry, how is that ideal?

So, instead of Stastny at $6.6m(and perhaps re-sign to a contract a bit lower), we go for an inferior player in Plekanec(not by much, though) at $5m per for another 3 years... we still have the 3 highly paid centers and no wingers for them.

I don't see how that's ideal but then again, I've seen some people here propose and be open to any and every single kind of Stastny deal possible.
Ideal in the fact that I don't assume that either ROR or Stastny will take a paycut, I also assume Duchene will get $7m, and a swap of Stastny/Plekanec doesn't drop off much, if any, production from the #3C spot.

Having Duchene at $7m, ROR at $6.5m, and Stastny at $6.5m is $20m wrapped up in centers. Plekanec would ease that by 1.5m that could be put into better wingers (or raises), plus in the trade that I proposed it would be bringing back a top 6 potential RW that could step in by 14-15 and play on the 2nd or 3rd line. This is a deal that gets a more fitting #3C and brings back a very, very good wing prospect that could be a 30g scorer in the NHL.

So by 14-15 you could have LWs of Landy and McGinn (still need 1 more good LW, maybe one develops out of Hishon or Sgarbossa or Jones rebounds and is used on the left side) and RWs of PAP, Collberg, and Downie.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think anybody making $5m per season for several years is an ideal 3rd line center. That's the equivalent of us paying 2nd pairing defensemen all $5m per as well. That is not sustainable in the least. It will cause problems as early as next summer.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:36 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think anybody making $5m per season for several years is an ideal 3rd line center. That's the equivalent of us paying 2nd pairing defensemen all $5m per as well. That is not sustainable in the least. It will cause problems as early as next summer.
With the cap being at least 64.3m (probably closer to 68m by then), there will be plenty of room for that sort of spending. Just don't pay bottom pairing defensemen and 4th liners over 1.5m...

Old
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
While I think Montreal wouldn't do Pleks + Collberg so it is a moot point, I also believe your statement is misleading. A third line center does not have to be a prototypical third line center. I've already made it clear several times that we could lock up our guys for 18-20 mil and play them all 1st line minutes with a 5-8 minute fourth line.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
While I think Montreal wouldn't do Pleks + Collberg so it is a moot point, I also believe your statement is misleading. A third line center does not have to be a prototypical third line center. I've already made it clear several times that we could lock up our guys for 18-20 mil and play them all 1st line minutes with a 5-8 minute fourth line.
It does not matter how much you prove it, either with the ice time or showing the salary structure. I've completely given up on trying to do it...

You will always see people posting about not paying a '3rd line center' 5M, completely happy putting one of our centers in the typical 3rd line center box. Or that it would hurt us in trying to keep our core. blah blah..

It's just too easy of a blanket type comment to make that people can't seem to resist.

What is Pitt paying their three centers without Staal now? 19.4M

Duchene @ 6-7M, Stastny @ 5-5.5M, O'Reilly @ 5-5.5M, = 16-18M

Old
05-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
It does not matter how much you prove it, either with the ice time or showing the salary structure. I've completely given up on trying to do it...

You will always see people posting about not paying a '3rd line center' 5M, completely happy putting one of our centers in the typical 3rd line center box. Or that it would hurt us in trying to keep our core. blah blah..

It's just too easy of a blanket type comment to make that people can't seem to resist.

I'm thinking 6.5-7 for Duchy, 5.5-6 for Staz and 6 for ROR. All 4-6 year contracts. Landeskog will get a contract that extends as close to the end of Stastny's as possible in the event we need to move salary to keep Landeskog.

We could afford everyone for 14-15 and have room to bring in one FA winger for a cup run ala Hossa.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post

i don't have a problem paying them. i just hope they produce really well and consistently. i really want to see Stastny play with some talented wingers and get back to being a 70-80 pt producer.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i don't have a problem paying them. i just hope they produce really well and consistently. i really want to see Stastny play with some talented wingers and get back to being a 70-80 pt producer.
that will probably mean we have to drop o'reilly to 12-15 minutes a game and probably lose him to a trade or free agency.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
that will probably mean we have to drop o'reilly to 12-15 minutes a game and probably lose him to a trade or free agency.
If that is happening, who cares? ROR could bring back a king's ransom if the Avs can afford to trade him (free agency isn't a worry as he will still be a RFA). Having 2 70 point centers with good defense is better than 1 70 point center with good defense and 1 55 point center with great defense IMO. That is still a big if as Stastny hasn't returned to form yet, and may never do that. If both Stastny and ROR stay in that 50-60 point range, the decision is easily ROR.

Closed Thread