HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller for Halak, do you still agree with this trade?

Old
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Asamu

vCash: 500
Eller for Halak, do you still agree with this trade?

At first I didn't want to start a thread but it's still interesting to know what you guys think of it. I read something earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Halak can be a top flight player when he is on. He also can be pretty mediocre at times. Regardless, we can use the "ride the hot goalie" mentality. I am not in love with the idea, but it could work. All you need is one hot goalie to lead the charge.
Habs fan here, talking of Halak, after 2 years and a half, did you guys like the trade in 2010? Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz?

Because Eller is becoming a well rounded 2 way centerman here in Montreal and I hope that you guys are satisfied with Halak so the trade would be fair in the end.

About Schultz, he's no more in our plans, unfortunately for him, our 1st draft pick in 2010: Jarred Tinordi is currently playing (2games)for the habs to give him extra experience I guess and in 2011: Nathan Beaulieu will probably be playing next year or in 2 years.

Btw, Eller is now our 3rd centerman (behind Plekanec and Desharnais) and he was on a shutdown line in the past few years even though we know that he is talented in the offensive zone. He also can be used in a penalty kill situation because of his positioning and anticipation of plays. I seriously see him as a potential 2nd line center in the future.

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I'm still very happy with the trade. Goaltending has been a constant issue with the Blues for over a decade, and Halak is still a solid starting NHL goalie even if some posters refuse to believe it. He's streaky, but his overall play is that of a decent starter. Nothing more, nothing less.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
The Note
Overrated

I'd still make that trade today. He's a solid goaltender.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

At the time they made the trade they desperately needed goaltending, more than they had time to wait for Eller to develop another three seasons to the point where he's just rounding into form now. I was always a big Eller fan and it hurt to trade him but I think you really have to judge the trade more in terms of organizational timing. Add to that the notion that it's easier to find a #3C than a potential #1 goalie and you see why they did it. Of course, Eller will be a good #3C or a #2C and Halak isn't a #1 goalie, just one who can get hot for stretches.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Market Street Heroes

I'd still make that trade 10/10 times. 20+ games of good play by Eller doesn't change that.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:04 PM
jimmykay

Like Pocket said. Due to the timing and what we needed, it was the right move. We all really liked Eller, and would have loved to get him up to the big club. But there just wasn't the time for it. We needed a goaltender to solidify things and didn't have the luxury of waiting for Bishop/Allen to be ready.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
At the time they made the trade they desperately needed goaltending, more than they had time to wait for Eller to develop another three seasons to the point where he's just rounding into form now. I was always a big Eller fan and it hurt to trade him but I think you really have to judge the trade more in terms of organizational timing. Add to that the notion that it's easier to find a #3C than a potential #1 goalie and you see why they did it. Of course, Eller will be a good #3C or a #2C and Halak isn't a #1 goalie, just one who can get hot for stretches.
Absolutely. Hated to lose Eller, but Halak really impressed the heck out of me last year. He gets hot like that again in the playoffs, we may be tough to beat.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:32 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Loved the trade then, still do today.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:49 PM
shifting

He had a great season. He can get hot and take over a playoff series. He got hurt last year unfortunately. Still a great trade. Solid Goalie > 3rd line Center

I also remember how well he was applauded after beating the Habs last season in Montreal.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:55 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

My wife has an irrational crush on Eller. She's still upset with the trade.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

Timing, Timing, Timing, The Blues needed a true number one and I would say they're still looking for him. But at the time of the deal he was a very nice option and he still may payoff this year, although I doubt it because he needs the team to play solid defense and it just doesn't look like this team will be able to play consistent for long stretches.

Would I make the deal again? Yes.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Anyone who says they wouldn't have made the trade then is lying.

I loved it then and am still happy with it now. Happy that Eller is rounding into a solid player for Montreal.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:00 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post

I loved it then and am still happy with it now. Happy that Eller is rounding into a solid player for Montreal.
Then? Sure. Now? I doubt I would, but it really depends on his performance or who he gets traded for.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:18 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Then? Sure. Now? I doubt I would, but it really depends on his performance or who he gets traded for.
Are you suggesting you'd have preferred to run with Chris Mason as the starter?

I realize this year has been up and down, but there are lots of mitigating factors due to the lock-out and weird off-season. But Halak/Elliott just set a modern day record last season. I don't understand why so many people are ready to toss them both in the trash bin. Allen has been inspiring, but to expect him to take the reins and make those guys obsolete is far beyond a reasonable expectation.

We had to get Halak when we did, and Eller was the price. It hurt to part with him, but it was the right move.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:05 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

One thing you have to say, Montreal absolutely traded the right goalie, despite all the grief Gauthier got at the time.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:13 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
One thing you have to say, Montreal absolutely traded the right goalie, despite all the grief Gauthier got at the time.
Agreed. I remember at the time all of the speculation was that it was pretty much for certain that Price would be the one getting traded and I remember hoping that the Blues would be able to steal him. Unfortunately, the Habs didn't respond to fan pressure and traded the right guy. They sold Halak while he was hot.

As others have said, the deal made a ton of sense at the time and I was fine with it even though most here know how much I liked Eller. Today though, if I could magically have Eller back for Halak, I'd probably do it. Halak was supposed to solve the goaltending problem but while he has flashes of brilliance, he's inconsistent and has shown he can't take on the full load of a typical #1 goalie.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:33 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Agreed. I remember at the time all of the speculation was that it was pretty much for certain that Price would be the one getting traded and I remember hoping that the Blues would be able to steal him. Unfortunately, the Habs didn't respond to fan pressure and traded the right guy. They sold Halak while he was hot.

As others have said, the deal made a ton of sense at the time and I was fine with it even though most here know how much I liked Eller. Today though, if I could magically have Eller back for Halak, I'd probably do it. Halak was supposed to solve the goaltending problem but while he has flashes of brilliance, he's inconsistent and has shown he can't take on the full load of a typical #1 goalie.
He's made of glass, but he's really good when he's on. I'd still have made the deal personally due to org. strength in young forwards and that he's still a cut above the typical FA guys that are available every year IMO. Still hated giving up Eller who obviously could have helped the Blues center depth significantly.

The silver lining here is that Halak's Marty Rucinsky-esque vacations on IR just mean Jake Allen gets more of a workload to develop further than most young No.2's. So structurally it seems like a good situation for both Allen's development and as a potential competitive push for Jaro when he is healthy.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:58 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Are you suggesting you'd have preferred to run with Chris Mason as the starter?

I realize this year has been up and down, but there are lots of mitigating factors due to the lock-out and weird off-season. But Halak/Elliott just set a modern day record last season. I don't understand why so many people are ready to toss them both in the trash bin. Allen has been inspiring, but to expect him to take the reins and make those guys obsolete is far beyond a reasonable expectation.

We had to get Halak when we did, and Eller was the price. It hurt to part with him, but it was the right move.
No, we didn't HAVE to get Halak when we did. Mason got hot and took us on a nice run obviously, and yeah he wasn't a great goalie but he was serviceable and our team wasn't even close to being a cup contender at the time. Also, the following season we could have used Eller.

Montreal made the right decision so they got the better end of this trade. Halak is an alright goalie but he's really not that great and is way overrated because of the one playoff series he's had. Maybe people are realizing that and that's why he's not some untouchable goaltender.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:50 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
No, we didn't HAVE to get Halak when we did. Mason got hot and took us on a nice run obviously, and yeah he wasn't a great goalie but he was serviceable and our team wasn't even close to being a cup contender at the time. Also, the following season we could have used Eller.

Montreal made the right decision so they got the better end of this trade. Halak is an alright goalie but he's really not that great and is way overrated because of the one playoff series he's had. Maybe people are realizing that and that's why he's not some untouchable goaltender.
Wow. So Montreal not wanting to have to pay Jaro and Price equals them getting "the better end"? Montreal never was considering moving Price, that was all media and fan based speculation. They simply moved their 2nd goalie for multiple forward prospects with both teams dealing from a percieved area of strength to fill a need.

If you're arguing that guys like Jaro are a dime a dozen, then I think you're selling him way short. He's better than most guys that hit FA on a annual basis.

Now on the other hand, if you're saying he's oft injured, inconsistent and not your typical No.1..then I would agree with you.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Bluesman91

Jaro is an elite backup lol if it makes any sense.

He doesn't have the head or durability to be a true #1.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Wow. So Montreal not wanting to have to pay Jaro and Price equals them getting "the better end"? Montreal never was considering moving Price, that was all media and fan based speculation. They simply moved their 2nd goalie for multiple forward prospects with both teams dealing from a percieved area of strength to fill a need.

If you're arguing that guys like Jaro are a dime a dozen, then I think you're selling him way short. He's better than most guys that hit FA on a annual basis.

Now on the other hand, if you're saying he's oft injured, inconsistent and not your typical No.1..then I would agree with you.
You obviously don't get it. Montreal did not need Halak at all. They traded a backup goalie for a good potential 2nd line center (3rd at worst) and another prospect.

It was a decent trade for us but since Montreal has Price they automatically got the better end of this IMO. They got a good piece for someone completely expendable.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:09 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Did you not notice that the Blues were 2 points from the Presidents Cup last season, with Halak carrying the majority of the goaltending load? As a Blues fan, was that season trivial to you? For me, I took a lot of satisfaction watching the Blues dominate the league. I wish it would have gone farther into the post-season....and I personally think Halak was showing some great signs prior to Jackman running him over.

You won't persuade me that Chris Mason would have been able to tandem with Elliott to get them to the same place.

I'm not down on Eller the least bit, but I don't understand why some folks are assigning no value to what Halak has already accomplished. I expect ignorant fans from other teams to tell me that it wasn't the goalies, it was Hitchcock's system...and any average goalie could have done that. But around here we know that's ********. Look at the first half of this season for proof.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:10 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
You obviously don't get it. Montreal did not need Halak at all. They traded a backup goalie for a good potential 2nd line center (3rd at worst) and another prospect.

It was a decent trade for us but since Montreal has Price they automatically got the better end of this IMO. They got a good piece for someone completely expendable.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't look at trades that way. The individual parts of the trade (Eller+Schultz for Halak) are very even. Both teams traded from a strength(MON goaltending, STL prospect) to fill a need. That's why I think it's a good trade.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post

That's not true. I didn't like the trade at the time and now it seems a bit worse.

There are tons of solid goaltenders in the NHL and lots available every offseason. We could have signed guys like Mike Smith or Craig Anderson and gotten good production from them instead of trading away a cost controlled talent at center for a goaltender we needed to re-sign anyway. Heck, the Blues could have rolled with Bishop and they'd probably would have been in a good place.

There are just too many serviceable goaltenders in the NHL and too much fluctuation in goaltending performance to invest so much into the position.

Granted, having BAD goaltending is a horrible situation, but it's not that hard to avoid that with the amount of goaltending talent out there in the current environment.

Either way I can't blame the Blues for what they did, considering the history of goaltending on the team. It wasn't an awful trade and there isn't much use griping about it now just because Eller is becoming the player we all thought he would. Halak will be fine this season and return to form, but he's inconsistent like many goaltenders... and we could have gotten that kind of inconsistency a bit more cheap.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Did you not notice that the Blues were 2 points from the Presidents Cup last season, with Halak carrying the majority of the goaltending load? As a Blues fan, was that season trivial to you? For me, I took a lot of satisfaction watching the Blues dominate the league. I wish it would have gone farther into the post-season....and I personally think Halak was showing some great signs prior to Jackman running him over.

You won't persuade me that Chris Mason would have been able to tandem with Elliott to get them to the same place.

I'm not down on Eller the least bit, but I don't understand why some folks are assigning no value to what Halak has already accomplished. I expect ignorant fans from other teams to tell me that it wasn't the goalies, it was Hitchcock's system...and any average goalie could have done that. But around here we know that's ********. Look at the first half of this season for proof.
The thought of them being our goaltenders going into the season is terrifying. Chris Mason was, and is awful. He had a great run for half a season with the rest of the team and then went to being a mediocre backup again. Halak at his worst is about equal to the average Mason: a softie a game and average otherwise. When they're both on Halak blows him out of the water.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote