Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikko Koivu

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 11:14 AM
RxDangles19

vCash: 500
Sad day when people get constantly ripped on for expressing their own opinions. I guess if you don't fall within the majority or waste your life so you can have thousands of posts, your thoughts have no credibility. I can't speak for everyone but I do know that when I played competitive sports when I was younger I would always look up to the captain for guidance. His energy and play dictated how many others would respond. If he got us revved up, we would come out and it would be hard to play against us.

koivu is a big boy, he needs to be able to take the heat when fans are upset. Only he can defend himself. We will have to see how he responds to this season because what he did was obviously not enough.
He can do it, as we saw in that Phoenix game this season when he took over. Can't disappear when the spotlight is the biggest though.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDangles19 View Post
Sad day when people get constantly ripped on for expressing their own opinions.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. This board is a message board and public forum for everybody to talk about whatever they want to.

But constantly beating certain drums is beyond straining on nerves. "Koivu is a bad Captain!" is certainly one of them. Nobody on this board, aside from Kassian when he apparently used to browse, has ever been in the Wild locker room when Koivu was in there with the rest of the team. Nobody here has any reason to believe that Koivu is a bad captain, other than the fact that they have a bias toward Zack Parise, the Minnesotan Jesus Christ!
Quote:
I guess if you don't fall within the majority or waste your life so you can have thousands of posts, your thoughts have no credibility.
Classic. "Waste your life"?
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone but I do know that when I played competitive sports when I was younger I would always look up to the captain for guidance. His energy and play dictated how many others would respond. If he got us revved up, we would come out and it would be hard to play against us.
I have been a captain in high school lacrosse. It is certainly no NHL, and is not even a professional sport. Captains cannot do everything. You can try your best and lead as best as you can, but sometimes things are outside of your control. I had fantastic games where no goals were scored when I was on the field, but every time I came out the other team scored. Defense was still blamed for the loss and I got the brunt of it as defense captain. Or I had a terrible game but the rest of the team recognized that I could not get it all done and stepped up themselves. In high school sports! Wow!

The Minnesota Wild is a professional organization with adult athletes who have been playing hockey the large majority of their lives. They don't have to look up to the Kaptain in order to want to win. One cannot put all of the blame on Koivu when most of the entire team looked like **** for the entire playoffs. Parise has hardly gotten any blame, yet aside from a single goal, was otherwise invisible and was a -7! But he took another team in another conference to the Stanley Cup! Here's a fun fact: None of that matters. All that matters is this season and these playoffs and Parise did almost as badly as Koivu but he gets a free pass because he was arbitrarily born in the state most of us reside in.
Quote:
koivu is a big boy, he needs to be able to take the heat when fans are upset. Only he can defend himself. We will have to see how he responds to this season because what he did was obviously not enough.
He can do it, as we saw in that Phoenix game this season when he took over. Can't disappear when the spotlight is the biggest though.
I completely agree with this. Koivu should have done better and has another gear that he can and should be able to tap in to at certain points. Wasn't it just this February that he was tied for most points in a single month in the entire NHL? But apparently that is overlooked because he had a few bad games. Biggest spotlight, all eyes on, whatever. He was fantastic this year and with a full preseason and training camp I have no doubt he will be even better next season.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Why are we just focusing on Koivu, when on the same line, Parise had 1 point and Coyle had 2? Our whole top line got shut down by the best defensive team in the league, also, one of the best coached teams in the league?

But let's just blame Koivu! Yeah! That's smart...

He's also won multiple medals in the Olympics and the WC, including a freakin gold in the WC. Seriously, do some of you believe he's cracking because he made it to the first freakin round of the Stanley Cup playoffs?

There were a lot of factors at play. He is just one piece. An important and influential one yes, but, just 1 piece on an entire team, that has not played as a team all season!!!

Old
05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

Don't forget that Parise has a nice smile and people like his interviews better, crucial stuff for a captain...

Old
05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Mubiki

I just want him to produce. That's it. Questioning his "leadership" is ridiculous.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:21 PM
DANOZ28

a perfect example of the best captain would be messier (even though i cant stand him) also when kirby puckett vowed to win game 6 in 1987. thats leadership , when has koivu stepped up to win an important game? my opinion is hes over paid and not a good leader. that doesnt mean i dont want him on the team or think hes not valuable. ps in the past the wild never had any better options

Old
05-12-2013, 12:41 PM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
a perfect example of the best captain would be messier (even though i cant stand him) also when kirby puckett vowed to win game 6 in 1987. thats leadership , when has koivu stepped up to win an important game? my opinion is hes over paid and not a good leader. that doesnt mean i dont want him on the team or think hes not valuable. ps in the past the wild never had any better options
When has anyone on this Wild team stepped up to win a big NHL game? Because Parise sure as hell hasn't either.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

This isn't baseball, and I'm getting really tired of any analogy comparing hockey to baseball.

Unless you're talking about, MAYBE a player of Crosby's caliber, and only MAYBE, can you even come close to having that be a fair comparison. Even that's pushing it.

Hockey is great, in part, because it needs to be a true on team game the full damned time the TEAM is on the ice.

Koivu's line went up against the Toews line and the best d pairing almost the whole series. I'm not making excuses, Koivu does need to produce more, and I am disappointed as well, but this is far different than a batter against a pitcher, and making a nice catch here and there.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So...he's not hurt? Is it okay then to rip on him?

Old
05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Joona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yes, throw him to the wolves!

Old
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Mikko plays like, at worst, a top 3 player on our team night after night. He set up more scoring chances than anyone else on our team, and without him we don't sniff the playoffs.
He was visibly hurt in the playoffs. He wasn't skating right, and everyone could see it.
Lovin' the offseason overreactions!
What is he hurt with? Even strength he really doesn't set up that many chances.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:14 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
What is he hurt with? Even strength he really doesn't set up that many chances.
He had 26 assists this year. This is despite how up and down our offense was and how anemic our PP was. If this had been a regular season he'ld be looking at around 70 points, around 50 of those being assists. This is also playing with a rookie on that top line much of the season.

You don't like him, fine, but don't make up crap and exaggerate a situation to suit your personal agenda.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Faerun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joona View Post
Yes, throw him to the wolves!
Yes amnesty buy out now!!!

Old
05-12-2013, 03:33 PM
SPMaximus

vCash: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
yep, he was just playing like **** for 15 games, for some reason

Old
05-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
And this is coming from a poster that defends Spurgeron as a top 4 defenseman.
First of all, you misspelled his name while trying to mock my intelligence. Well done.

Secondly, I'm not the only one who looks at Jared Spurgeon and sees our #3 D-man. Chuck Fletcher has mentioned just recently that he likes Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon and Scandella as his top-4.

Russo has also mentioned Spurgeon's ability and position as our #3 several times this year. I've watched national TV games, playoffs AND regular season, where Spurgeon gets constantly praised for what he does by neutral commentators.

Besides, I'm not the only one here who defends Spurgeon as a top-4 D-man. I'd say over 50% of HF Wild think that Spurgeon belongs in our top-4, considering our current roster. That might of course change, depending on how our prospects pan out and if there's any trades and stuff like that, but as things look now, he will be here for years to come.

Deal with it.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
yep, he was just playing like **** for 15 games, for some reason
I'm not sold on that yet. Could be that they're simply hiding that he has some sort of an injury until it's fixed.

I'm still saying it's back problems. It would only make sense, considering his posture and his skating, as well as the lack of body contact.

Then again, I ain't no doctor.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
If he genuinely is not hurt, then yes, it's time to rip him to shreds.

But I highly doubt that. I think he is probably just trying his hardest to hide whatever the hell it actually is.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Gaps

Based on what his skating looked like, I seriously doubt he's 100% healthy. Whether we're talking about a mix of exhaustion and something minor or something more serious that may require an operation later on, I don't know because I'm no doctor. But I know he's not the type of a guy to hide behind an injury. I'm sure that he requires 100% and more from himself if he's playing, no matter what's going on with him physically. I also don't want to think Fletcher wanted to punish him by telling him he can't play for his country if that's what he wanted to do.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

There was something wrong with Koivu in the playoffs. And not that he wasn't trying, he was trying as hard as anyone else. He was visibly skating awkwardly.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
He had 26 assists this year. This is despite how up and down our offense was and how anemic our PP was. If this had been a regular season he'ld be looking at around 70 points, around 50 of those being assists. This is also playing with a rookie on that top line much of the season.

You don't like him, fine, but don't make up crap and exaggerate a situation to suit your personal agenda.
Half of those assists (13) came from our PP. So he had 13 even strength assists all year. Setting up tons of chances huh?

He had 37 points in 48 games... 37/48=0.771 points/game

So 82 game regular season *0.771 = 63.22 points. So barely over 60 points bud.

As Jarick pointed out in his statistical analysis Koivu had a total of 13 points vs playoff teams in 26 games yet he scored 24 points in 27 games vs. non-playoff teams. He just can't compete with high end talent.

He had a down year statistically and if you watched him on the ice he was hardly noticeable at even strength most of the year. Even strength is where good teams are made. I'm very disappointed in his play considering all the talent he is being surrounded by. Remember when we would always say if only we could surround the guy with better plays than Bruno and Mittens... sad he is still producing at the level and maybe even worse.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
First of all, you misspelled his name while trying to mock my intelligence. Well done.
It's just a mistype. I do it a lot when I'm tired. Spurgeon. Spurgeron. It happens.

Quote:
Secondly, I'm not the only one who looks at Jared Spurgeon and sees our #3 D-man. Chuck Fletcher has mentioned just recently that he likes Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon and Scandella as his top-4.
Great. And Scandella and Spurge have proven what so far? Jack and Squat in the NHL. He can see them as top 4. Does it mean they are top four? Absolutely not and the fact is that neither do the majority of fans.

Furthermore, there are as many people getting disappointed with Koivu's play. It's not just one guy.

Quote:
Russo has also mentioned Spurgeon's ability and position as our #3 several times this year. I've watched national TV games, playoffs AND regular season, where Spurgeon gets constantly praised for what he does by neutral commentators.
So where was he this year? We needed a 3/4 guy and yet he wasn't there.

Quote:
Besides, I'm not the only one here who defends Spurgeon as a top-4 D-man. I'd say over 50% of HF Wild think that Spurgeon belongs in our top-4, considering our current roster.
Current roster. That's like saying Wes Walz was our first line center due to the current roster.

Quote:
Deal with it.
I am and have been proven right thus far.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
He had a down year statistically and if you watched him on the ice he was hardly noticeable at even strength most of the year. Even strength is where good teams are made. I'm very disappointed in his play considering all the talent he is being surrounded by. Remember when we would always say if only we could surround the guy with better plays than Bruno and Mittens... sad he is still producing at the level and maybe even worse.
Wut.
Koivu was very visible and set up plenty of chances at even strength. Not his fault we can't finish.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
It's just a mistype. I do it a lot when I'm tired. Spurgeon. Spurgeron. It happens.
Not an excuse. Try harder.

Quote:
Great. And Scandella and Spurge have proven what so far? Jack and Squat in the NHL. He can see them as top 4. Does it mean they are top four? Absolutely not and the fact is that neither do the majority of fans.
Scandella has proven that he can play on the NHL level, just not consistently. And Spurgeon has been a key player in this time for the last two year now. He is one of the best skaters in this team, has great offensive IQ, passing and believe it or not, he can keep the puck in the zone on the PP.

Scandella is certainly a question mark, and I for one don't see him as a top-4 D-man just yet. Spurgeon, however, is one, and has been for last two years. He is still improving every aspect of his game, despite playing with Clayton Stoner for most of the year.

Quote:
Furthermore, there are as many people getting disappointed with Koivu's play. It's not just one guy.
Yes, and I'm one of them. So he had a bad series, maybe because of an injury, maybe because of something else. Having a bad series VS arguably the best team in the NHL can happen to anyone, and it's not like he was the only one struggling. Just ask Parise and Suter.

Quote:
So where was he this year? We needed a 3/4 guy and yet he wasn't there.
Well, he got injured while blocking a shot early in the year, came back and was doing well for the most part. Granted, he arguably wasn't on the level some expected of him, but he definitely was our #3. Gilbert was hot garbage for most of the year, Stoner almost dropped us out of the playoffs single-handedly, Falk was inconsistent and Clark sucked in the D-zone. I'd say that Spurgeon was our 3/4 guy, and it's not even close. Just look at the statistics, TOI and his PP production.

Quote:
Current roster. That's like saying Wes Walz was our first line center due to the current roster.
Well, Jared Spurgeon is our #3 D-man in our current roster. I can't compare his play in an imaginary roster, because that wouldn't be fair nor accurate, and it simply can't be done. That's why I'm simply stating the fact that HE IS OUR #3 D-MAN IN OUR CURRENT ****ING ROSTER. There are no if's, but's or maybe's there. It's a fact.

Last edited by Jarick: 05-13-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: flaming
Old
05-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Half of those assists (13) came from our PP. So he had 13 even strength assists all year. Setting up tons of chances huh?

He had 37 points in 48 games... 37/48=0.771 points/game

So 82 game regular season *0.771 = 63.22 points. So barely over 60 points bud.

As Jarick pointed out in his statistical analysis Koivu had a total of 13 points vs playoff teams in 26 games yet he scored 24 points in 27 games vs. non-playoff teams. He just can't compete with high end talent.

He was playing with new linemates, without a training camp and in all situations, and you're expecting a career year out of the guy? Just look at his production in March. IIRC he had something like most PPG out of ANY NHL player in that month. How is that "not producing"?

Old
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
J22*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Not an excuse. Try harder.

Scandella has proven that he can play on the NHL level, just not consistently. And Spurgeon has been a key player in this time for the last two year now. He is one of the best skaters in this team, has great offensive IQ, passing and believe it or not, he can keep the puck in the zone on the PP.

Scandella is certainly a question mark, and I for one don't see him as a top-4 D-man just yet. Spurgeon, however, is one, and has been for last two years. He is still improving every aspect of his game, despite playing with Clayton Stoner for most of the year.

Yes, and I'm one of them. So he had a bad series, maybe because of an injury, maybe because of something else. Having a bad series VS arguably the best team in the NHL can happen to anyone, and it's not like he was the only one struggling. Just ask Parise and Suter.

Well, he got injured while blocking a shot early in the year, came back and was doing well for the most part. Granted, he arguably wasn't on the level some expected of him, but he definitely was our #3. Gilbert was hot garbage for most of the year, Stoner almost dropped us out of the playoffs single-handedly, Falk was inconsistent and Clark sucked in the D-zone. I'd say that Spurgeon was our 3/4 guy, and it's not even close. Just look at the statistics, TOI and his PP production.

Well, Jared Spurgeon is our #3 D-man in our current roster. I can't compare his play in an imaginary roster, because that wouldn't be fair nor accurate, and it simply can't be done. That's why I'm simply stating the fact that HE IS OUR #3 D-MAN IN OUR CURRENT ****ING ROSTER. There are no if's, but's or maybe's there. It's a fact.

How? You've been proven nothing but a delusional troll who is overly negative and ignored by many members of this community. Face the facts, I'm the one who is correct on this argument and there's no denying that, unless you want to summon some "proof" out of your ass again.

I'm not much of a Spurgeon fan at all, but even I can admit that he belongs in the NHL and is probably a top 4 guy on this d-core.

Having said that, the bolded above is absolutely ridiculous. Spurgeon's skating is brutal for a guy his size and it would be much easier to argue that Spurgeon is the worst skater on the roster than it is to claim that he's among the best.

Closed Thread