HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jarome Iginla

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
Hasn't lived up to expectations, thus far. That being said, there's more to the story. Bylsma's seeming refusal to play him on Sid's line, or at RW period, is puzzling. I think that's a big, big reason he hasn't been as big of an impact at ES as we'd have liked.

I think that changes now that he's on Sid's RW, and Bylsma's finally going with the scoring lines we've been clamoring on about for weeks.

We'll see how he does with Sid for an extended period of time before judgement. I'd like to see him re-sign, but he's going to need to take a pretty steep paycut. He might be up for it, though. He knows he doesn't have many years left in the league, and by all accounts he's totally enamored with Pittsburgh as well as the organization and every aspect of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around just to be a part of a successful organization for the rest of his career. I'd love to have him, too. Consummate professional, Hell of a guy on the ice, and still has one of the most lethal shots in the NHL. I think he'll do extremely well with Sid given an extended period together, a la Malkin and Neal.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:37 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I know Iggy's been a little slow and Malkin has been a little crazy at times but I'm real happy with both of them this playoff on the whole because they're producing points every single game so far. That is more important than anything else they do and the primary reason for their existence on a hockey rink. Not their only responsibility but by far the most important one.
Unpossible! The hell you say?!?

If they aren't ripping around the rink at top speed, making robotically perfect decisions every time they have the puck, bruising the opposition with thunderous hits, shutting down the other team's top lines all while putting up 2PPG... they are part of the problem. Especially Malkin... he's moody.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Sk8M8

Lots of good comments in here and I agree with most of them . . . Glad for this thread because I would have liked to clarify my thoughts better than yesterday's 4 am post in the post-game thread lol. I'm just going to keep it to point form:

1. I remember 2 or 3 All-Star games ago Geno and Iggy playing together and it seeming that Malkin didn't care to play with Jarome - didn't look him in the eye too much, didn't try to communicate much (obvious language barrier) etc. It seemed similar this time around but dragged over many games instead of one All-Star game. Geno is faster, very skilled and would rather lumber up the ice and do it himself rather than make the easy lead pass etc. (case in point was the give-away goal near the end of game 4 where instead of passing it to a breaking Jerome who was wid open, Geno passed into a cluster of Isles, leading to a goal against). Who knows if some of the lack of chemistry goes back the two playing each other so hard for so many years in world championships etc. Ironically, and as others have said, Geno and Iggy were still 1-2 in playoff points going into game 5 - half of Jarome's points coming even strength nonetheless. Also factoring into their chemistry for sure (in my mind), is Iginla lacking some confidence - something that can be cyclical if you're battling to find your way in a new position and on a new line with someone who doesn't speak your language and doesn't seem to trust you.

2. In keeping with the previous point, I think if your confidence is fragile, even the simplest things can look difficult. Your legs feel heavy, you feel you've lost a step. You find yourself losing board battles, having passes skip over your stick, the puck feels like a bouncy ball that you have a devil of a time keeping on your stick. Your body is a split-second off of where your instincts tell you how you should be reacting. The looking timid thing is a result. Anyway, IF the switch flips with Sid (which early on it seems to have, he seems a little more comfortable), I think you'll see him pot more goals and play more solidly. Even in Calgary for the last couple of years it seemed a struggle to find him line-mates - Tanguay seemed to be a fit before he left.

3. Jerome has always been a bit streaky . . . When he DOES catch fire, look out because he'll score 12 goals in 10 games or something similarly ridiculous. Even 2 years ago about this time, Jarome was back to being a top 3-5 player in the league from about Jan to March - literally piling up the points and being dominant in every area over that period.

4. The Isles are extremely fast and are going to make a lot of teams and older players look a bit slow. I honestly don't think Jarome has lost that much in his legs, I think a lot of the apparent sluggishness or what-have-you is to do with taking a confidence hit, being in a foreign position, not having good chemistry with your centreman, and then being up against a blazingly fast team where everything gets excentuated.

5. We'll see how Sid-Jarome do together - and it might take a couple of games in fairness (and unfortunately). I'm cautiously optimistic as most of you in here - hoping of course for a brilliant gelling.

6. Finally . . . I'd have been a lot more worried if Jarome had only 2 or 3 points (or less) in 5 games. Just for perspective, this is how other superstars (counted on for big numbers during the playoffs) did/are doing: Cory Perry Anaheim - 1 point in 5 games; Daniel and Henrick Sedin (Vancouver) - 3 points each in 4 games (swept); Phil Kessel (Toronto) - 3 points in 4 games; Jonathon Toews (Chicago) - 2 points in 5 games; Jaromir Jagr (Boston) - old I know, but had a considerable number of points during the reg. season, 2 points; Henrick Zetterberg (Detroit) - 3 points in 5 games; Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit) - 4 points in 5 games; John Tavares (Islanders) - 4 points in 5 games; Alex Ovechkin (Washington) - 2 points in 4 games; and Backstrom (Washington) - 2 points in 4 games. Adds some perspective I think . . . It's a reflection of how brutally tough NHL playoff hockey is and how it makes many stars look underwhelming.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
jaromeyI

people who spell it 'jerome' have been made fun of mercilessly for a decade on calgarypuck.com.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I know Iggy's been a little slow and Malkin has been a little crazy at times but I'm real happy with both of them this playoff on the whole because they're producing points every single game so far. That is more important than anything else they do and the primary reason for their existence on a hockey rink. Not their only responsibility but by far the most important one.
Malkin, 9 points
Crosby, 8 points in 4 games
Iginla, 8 points

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
05-10-2013, 07:00 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Malkin, 9 points
Crosby, 8 points in 4 games
Iginla, 8 points
Really kind of astonishing considering the amount of flak all three get.

Actually it really isn't astonishing, at all.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Really kind of astonishing considering the amount of flak all three get.

Actually it really isn't astonishing, at all.
Even Mario was stupid at times...

- Apparently in game 5 in the '01 ECF, Madden was skating behind Lemieux and called out "Ace, Ace" (Lemieux's nickname) and Mario dropped him the puck. Madden went the other way and put the series away. It was a huge mistake and Mario was pissed as hell I read, that Madden did that, but he should of known better.

- Kaspar really got under his skin in the 93 playoffs and threw off Lemieux's game.

- I remember Lemieux also getting kicked out of the quadruple OT game agt the Caps and of course when he went ballistic and he chased after Fraser:

Crosby and Malkin have that in them as well (to make killer mistakes and lose their ****) but I wish, like I did with Lemieux, they would control it better.

It is really their only big weaknesses.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
spcastlemagic

Don't forget Iggy turned down some great opportunities to pad the goal stats last night, but was more focused on trying to get it to Kennedy so he could get a second. That's boss great teammate stuff.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:45 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Even Mario was stupid at times...

- Apparently in game 5 in the '01 ECF, Madden was skating behind Lemieux and called out "Ace, Ace" (Lemieux's nickname) and Mario dropped him the puck. Madden went the other way and put the series away. It was a huge mistake and Mario was pissed as hell I read, that Madden did that, but he should of known better.

- Kaspar really got under his skin in the 93 playoffs and threw off Lemieux's game.

- I remember Lemieux also getting kicked out of the quadruple OT game agt the Caps and of course when he went ballistic and he chased after Fraser:

Crosby and Malkin have that in them as well (to make killer mistakes and lose their ****) but I wish, like I did with Lemieux, they would control it better.

It is really their only big weaknesses.
See... that... that I can 100% get behind.

Lemieux is the exact player I think of when people get all bent out of shape about a pass that shouldn't have been made that gets picked off or a penalty that gets called that they shouldn't have taken. In the balance... you take it. But obviously you wish that it didn't happen.

Such is very often the way with supremely talented, creative and competitive players.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Pens have scored a lot of Power Play goals.
I guess I am missing what you are trying to say, this is a bad thing?

Old
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Too low number of samples for me to claim anything so far on that one. He always seems to "collect" his points, but I don't really remember him "making" the great play to do so. He always seems to just be someone who happened to touch the puck last or next to last to me FWIW. Could also be selective memory on my part. PP is definitely better with him out there, but was pretty good prior.

I do notice him losing just about every single 50/50, board or puck battle though. It's not Tanner Glass bad, but more often then not, play is over when puck is passed to Igilna in the Ozone, 5v5.

I still think his place is with TK, and Jussi on a 3rd line. I don't see his legs holding up to 1st line minutes with Sid and Duppers. He will not wear well IMO given 18min/game in the playoffs. He was a great player who's best days are behind him. He can still contribute for sure, but he's not far off Billy G when he was here.
Well then it should be to low a number to have this conversation at all then no?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
I guess I am missing what you are trying to say, this is a bad thing?
I was saying that the Penguins have scored a lot of Power Play goals. I'm sorry that my post did not convey that.

The Penguins have scored a lot of Power Play goals.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:06 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
I was saying that the Penguins have scored a lot of Power Play goals. I'm sorry that my post did not convey that.

Oh, well, thanks for pointing that out I guess?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:

I don't buy it. Just what kind of game are you running here?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:30 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I don't buy it. Just what kind of game are you running here?
I'm trying to convince as many people as possible that the Penguins have a good power play!

Old
05-10-2013, 08:40 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
With how Bylsma has misused him, your question is like asking how the new Lamborghini is doing when you have been using it for off road towing of farm implements.

Last night seems to be an indication of what we expected.
Haha. Exactly

Old
05-10-2013, 10:33 PM
FDBluth

Jarome Iginla is a "regular" star player. He gets points, has games where he takes over, and also has games where he doesn't do much.

Crosby and Malkin spoil this fanbase profusely. We get to watch two guys every game that are among the best players ever. We've watched Jagr and Lemieux in the past. I think that skews everyone's perception of what an "impactful" player is. Iginla's been good enough, given his circumstances (age, linemates, fitting into a new team for pretty much the first time ever). His shot is still lethal, he can process the game at a better level than any of our other wingers, and his...ughh.."puck poise" in offensive and tight spaces is very good. And you know that he'll still have a few games here and there where he'll score a few goals and be the difference maker. He's fine.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
insomniac34

Quote:

I don't like the cut of this guy's jib.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

It's a bit too early to get on Iginla's case IMO.

Anyone remember how long it took Hossa to start looking good/fitting in with the Pens?

Also, I can't help but think Iginla playing on his offwing hasn't had an issue with his game. I've seen a lot of confusion in his first several games with reading plays and wanting to go toward that right side.

Give him some time with Sid and Dupuis and I think you'll see a much better Iginla make more of an impact in the game.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Bylsma was so braindead about having Iginla forced to play the offwing with Malkin and Neal. Their styles don't match at all. Iginla brings that Guerin'esque style to Crosby's right side and now both lines have a motor on the left wing that goes all out on the boards, cycling, etc.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Considering all the circumstances?

Yes, I'd say he has.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:57 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Bylsma was so braindead about having Iginla forced to play the offwing with Malkin and Neal. Their styles don't match at all. Iginla brings that Guerin'esque style to Crosby's right side and now both lines have a motor on the left wing that goes all out on the boards, cycling, etc.
Guerin brought nothing to Crosby's line. He was old and slow and terrible and dragged that line down the entire time he was on it.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Guerin brought nothing to Crosby's line. He was old and slow and terrible and dragged that line down the entire time he was on it.
I would agree with you for the 2nd year Guerin was here. The first year he was here from the trade deadline on, he absolutely brought something to that line.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:10 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I would agree with you for the 2nd year Guerin was here. The first year he was here from the trade deadline on, he absolutely brought something to that line.
This. And this is how I feel about Brenden Morrow. We don't want him back next year, IMO. Iginla, however, I'd love to find a way to bring back.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:47 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
I don't like the cut of this guy's jib.
Excuse me SIR.

My jib is cut from only the finest cedar, with diamond-etched saws. Thank you very much.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:49 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Excuse me SIR.

My jib is cut from only the finest cedar, with diamond-etched saws. Thank you very much.
Mine is made of rich mahogany, with thick leather bindings.

Closed Thread