HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jarome Iginla

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
WVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I know that the Pens strategy was to go "all in" this year, but I don't think Shero is dumb enough to give up a 1st rounder in a "once in a decade" type of draft if he had zero intention of re-signing Iginla. Obviously the price has to be right, but despite the fact that he may not have fit in immediately well with immediate chemistry (more like Neal than like Hossa), I still think there's a fundamental belief among the Pens management that, at the right price, Iginla -- with a solid off-season getting acclimated with his family, new teammates, new city, and maybe even new training partners, and maybe even a new position at LW; and a full training camp -- can be a better player than he showed these past couple of months. He's certainly worth it on a 2-3 year deal, and if he really blows so hard next year and we couldn't trade him, we still have another summer with an amnesty buyout.
Eh, I am sure at the time that RS expected to have him stay a few years but I also feel that outlook has to have changed after watching him here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
If that was his best effort, then no thank you. If it wasn't his best effort, then no thank you.
Agreed 100%.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by terex View Post
I want to see this:

Bennett - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

If Iggy walks, so be it. I want that Malkin line together again.
I'd be OK with those lines, try it for a year see where it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doob View Post
What if pens trade Iginla's rights & Letang to LA for Scuderi's rights & Dustin Brown.

Maybe try to get Bernier from LA as well.
Iginla's rights wouldn't be worth much to LA. What you're really saying is Letang for Dustin Brown and Bernier. Can't see it. Brown is their leader / the heart of their team. And generally I don't see a whole lot of "rights trading" going down this summer.

Better (if we must trade Letang because he asks for huge money) to figure out a Letang for Bernier + scenario. Problem is they are not hard up for a Letang type player the way other teams are. Doughty, Voynov, and Muzzin all have terrific offensive upside. They don't lack for blueline scoring and Letang's defense is not going to overshadow that of Doughty and Voynov IMO. The Kings are not a good trade partner unless they're willing to perhaps part with their late 1st round pick and want to swap out one of those guys.

Letang + 3rds
for
Bernier + Muzzin + 1st

Swap out two thirds for that earlier pick to get the best player possible in a good draft, get your goalie, get a Top 6 guy who has a big shot and some NHL experience already. Seems pretty unlikely though. LA is already in good position to compete for Cups. They don't need a Letang to take them up to another level the way other teams might. Teams with say, a Top 10 pick.

But as for Iginla, I don't see him bringing anything valuable from LA.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-18-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old
06-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Dupree13

The trade was a flop. Iginla was terrible, and is either washed up or was an ill fit with this team. Now that Bylsma is returning, that should close the book on Iginla.

The notion that they should sign Iginla to justify losing the 1st rounder is bizarre. Throwing good money after a bad trade.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
The trade was a flop. Iginla was terrible, and is either washed up or was an ill fit with this team. Now that Bylsma is returning, that should close the book on Iginla.

The notion that they should sign Iginla to justify losing the 1st rounder is bizarre. Throwing good money after a bad trade.
If we didn't have Neal, I could see signing Iginla. But we do. We don't need another pure shooter and that seems to be what Iginla has become at this point. If he wants Kunitz money, I'd risk it to see if he can get back into form. If he wants Neal money I'd send him a nice gift basket and thank him for his time here.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If we didn't have Neal, I could see signing Iginla. But we do. We don't need another pure shooter and that seems to be what Iginla has become at this point. If he wants Kunitz money, I'd risk it to see if he can get back into form. If he wants Neal money I'd send him a nice gift basket and thank him for his time here.
Would you rather have Iginla @ 4 Mil for 2 years or Dupuis @ 3.5 Mil for 3 years?

Old
06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Would you rather have Iginla @ 4 Mil for 2 years or Dupuis @ 3.5 Mil for 3 years?
That's a tough question.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
That's a tough question.
Its tough cause we know what were getting with Dupuis but not really with Iginla.

If the opening line was Bennet-Crosby-Iginla, I bet most would say Iginla. Obviously if its Iginla on the LW of Malkins line, its a waste of time and energy for all parties

Old
06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Its tough cause we know what were getting with Dupuis but not really with Iginla.

If the opening line was Bennet-Crosby-Iginla, I bet most would say Iginla. Obviously if its Iginla on the LW of Malkins line, its a waste of time and energy for all parties
Despite having just dissed Iginla mere posts ago, I would rather have Iggy if it was Bennet-Cros-Iggy.

But we know exactly which one Cros would rather have so forget about it.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

Yepp.

If it came down to the two deals you mentioned (Iggy 2yr/8m and Dupuis 3yr/10.5) I'll take Iggy.

I want that Bennett-Crosby-Iginla line.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Yepp.

If it came down to the two deals you mentioned (Iggy 2yr/8m and Dupuis 3yr/10.5) I'll take Iggy.

I want that Bennett-Crosby-Iginla line.
Dream on. They'll resign Dupuis and 14-87-9 will be sacrosanct for another year.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Dream on. They'll resign Dupuis and 14-87-9 will be sacrosanct for another year.
Dupuis wants that 4th year. Shero doesn't like to give out more than 2 year deals to older players, let alone twice that. This is also both his first and last chance to cash in.

I'm expecting him to sign for less and stay, but it definitely wouldn't be the strangest thing to ever happen if he leaves.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
cassius

HFBoards.. the land where a rookie who was playing in the NCAA last season is a much better top-6 option than a perennial all-star with a steady track record of being one of the most consistent goalscorers in NHL history.

It certainly makes me head explode sometimes, haha. Not surprising though.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
HFBoards.. the land where a rookie who was playing in the NCAA last season is a much better top-6 option than a perennial all-star with a steady track record of being one of the most consistent goalscorers in NHL history.

It certainly makes me head explode sometimes, haha. Not surprising though.
Iginla is better than Bennett at this stage. He's not better than Bennett and the player we can spend that other 4 millionish dollars we'd save between the two.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:14 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I'm really not entirely sure how much better Iggy is than Bennett at this stage, either. Bennett at least doesn't lose every single battle he engages in, for starters.

Once again... the idea of Iginla and the reality appear to be two very different things. Unless we are actually going to truly buy into the theory that Disco somehow coached Iginla to float around in all three zones and put in the bare minimum effort the entire time he was here.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'm really not entirely sure how much better Iggy is than Bennett at this stage, either. Bennett at least doesn't lose every single battle he engages in, for starters.

Once again... the idea of Iginla and the reality appear to be two very different things. Unless we are actually going to truly buy into the theory that Disco somehow coached Iginla to float around in all three zones and put in the bare minimum effort the entire time he was here.
Honestly, I'm with you. But for the sake of argument, I went with a different angle. We haven't seen Bennett getting the top ice time to see how he does, so I figured its close enough that I'd just concede Iggy as the better player for the sake of argument.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Iginla is the better player.

But only largely because (stupidly) Bennett is still a relatively unknown commodity.

I feel like if he had gotten a consistent role in the top six all year, we would be much, much less wishy washy about it.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Iginla is the better player.

But only largely because (stupidly) Bennett is still a relatively unknown commodity.

I feel like if he had gotten a consistent role in the top six all year, we would be much, much less wishy washy about it.
they are also entirely different players so directly comparing them seems pointless.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:21 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

An extremely fair point, yes.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 50
Iginla won't be a good fit on the Penguins, not with Byslma coaching. Forced to play on the off wing, and his skating just cannot keep up with your guys, and Dan using prettym uch nothing but a north-south style with no adapting means Iginla cannot succeed in that system.

If Byslma actually adapted and worked to the strengths of all his players, such as a coach like Babcock, it might work. but it won't with the current personel.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:38 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

I have a lot of unanswered questions about Iginla, but I feel that way about a lot of players on this team. I doubt that will change.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Aiastelmon

Iginla would be a very nice asset as the trigger man on a line with Bennett and Crosby, both excellent passers. He also needs to be on the #1 PP if they sign him.

In those two roles he would excel, especially after a full camp, and be well worth 3-4 mil a year or so *2.

He still has one of the most lethal shots in the game.

Dupuis is as good as gone, no way he will be able to turn down the money and term he's going to get. Which is good inasmuch as it will make the lines so obvious that even DB couldn't screw it up.

We will then officially have exactly 6 top 6 forwards. No more, no less.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:16 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
Iginla would be a very nice asset as the trigger man on a line with Bennett and Crosby, both excellent passers. He also needs to be on the #1 PP if they sign him.

In those two roles he would excel, especially after a full camp, and be well worth 3-4 mil a year or so *2.

He still has one of the most lethal shots in the game.

Dupuis is as good as gone, no way he will be able to turn down the money and term he's going to get. Which is good inasmuch as it will make the lines so obvious that even DB couldn't screw it up.

We will then officially have exactly 6 top 6 forwards. No more, no less.
Nobody can disagree with the bolded. That's what we expected from day one. This entire thread comes down to one question:

Is he worth ANYTHING if they are just going to put him on Geno's left wing and leave him off the powerplay?

My opinion - Hell no.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Best offer from me would be 2 years 7 million for Iginla, not a penny more

I know he would get more in FA but that's his choice, take it or leave it

Old
06-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Fire Shero*

Well, considering ass bag Bylsma is still coaching, I really see no reason to resign Iginla to play LW on the second line and limited power play minutes. If Shero had a pair and fired disco, id be much more excited to attempt to resign Iggy.

Shero is waiting on Iggy and Letang so that he can sign Dipuis. Lets overpay duper to ensure we can't sign Iggy and Letang!

Old
06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Nobody can disagree with the bolded. That's what we expected from day one. This entire thread comes down to one question:

Is he worth ANYTHING if they are just going to put him on Geno's left wing and leave him off the powerplay?

My opinion - Hell no.
He has negative value on Geno's LW. And, as long as Dan Bylsma is coach, that's a risk. Sucks, but let him walk UNLESS Dupuis can't be signed.

Closed Thread