HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Another suspension for Norway

Old
05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Wolfy

vCash: 500
Another suspension for Norway

Defenseman O.K.Tollefsen has once again been suspended one game, this time for a slashing incident against Sweden. This is getting ridiculous

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/...ash=3b92eb48d0

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
This is getting ridiculous
For the sake of clarity: Are you referring to the behavior of the Norwegian players... or the directorate?

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
KingStian

The suspesnsion in it self might be fair enough. It unneccecary to jam the stick up between the legs like that from Tollefsen. But what worries me is that in the 45+ games that has been played until now in the tournament, there has been three hearings. All three hearings have been against Norway, with two involving Tollefsen. It's becoming quite clear that a small hockey nation like Norway is an easy target to make an example of. Nations like Canada, USA, Finland, Sweeden, Russia etc. would never have gotten hearings on things like these.

KingStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:58 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post
The suspesnsion in it self might be fair enough. It unneccecary to jam the stick up between the legs like that from Tollefsen. But what worries me is that in the 45+ games that has been played until now in the tournament, there has been three hearings. All three hearings have been against Norway, with two involving Tollefsen. It's becoming quite clear that a small hockey nation like Norway is an easy target to make an example of.
Or OKT needs to stop being a moron on the ice?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
KingStian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Or OKT needs to stop being a moron on the ice?
Stupid thing to do, I agree. But I refuse to believe that there has been only three incidents in 45+ games that has deserved an hearing.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
For the sake of clarity: Are you referring to the behavior of the Norwegian players... or the directorate?
The ridiculous part is that 2 min minor penalties are being turned into suspensions. And all of them against the same country and the same player. This disciplinary committee definitely has a personal agenda against Tollefsen.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
jonas2244

Deserved more than one game IMHO. And I indeed saw only such actions from Norvegian players until now, I didn't see each game, of course, but the ones I saw were very fair and without such actions which only intent was to hurt the opponent.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Reznor

Any video of this slash?

Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
The ridiculous part is that 2 min minor penalties are being turned into suspensions. And all of them against the same country and the same player. This disciplinary committee definitely has a personal agenda against Tollefsen.
Tollefsen is known for being dirty and reguarly attempt to injure opponents, that guy definitely doesn't deserve any leniency.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:42 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Why would the committee have an agenda against any player, particularly a less significant player in the tournament?

Old
05-09-2013, 12:49 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Why would the committee have an agenda against any player, particularly a less significant player in the tournament?
Less significant?! You obviously have no idea how important Tollefsen is to the Norwegian team. Without him its basically just HolÝs that are able to log big minutes against the best players.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:52 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Less significant?! You obviously have no idea how important Tollefsen is to the Norwegian team. Without him its basically just HolÝs that are able to log big minutes against the best players.
You're right - I don't have any idea. I apologize.

However, what reason would the committee have to deliberately target one player unjustly?

Old
05-09-2013, 01:04 PM
KingStian

Quote:
Because he comes from a small nation, but still has somewhat of a name in the hockey world. It is easy to punish the captain with Norway on the sweater, than with for example Canada, if you want to make an example out of someone.

I refuse to believe that in 45+ games these three incidents are the three worst, and the only three that deserved to even get a look at after the games. It becomes so random and clear that a small hockey nation is easy to punish. Every suspension was only ruled to be a 2 minute minor penalty on the ice.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Lowest brain capacity of all players at the IIHF.

John Druce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Tollefsen is known for being dirty and reguarly attempt to injure opponents, that guy definitely doesn't deserve any leniency.
This is not true. Tollefsen is known for playing tough and not being afraid to step into a scrum, or push away people. Not injure guys or playing dirty.

Try watch some games.

05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post

I refuse to believe that in 45+ games these three incidents are the three worst, and the only three that deserved to even get a look at after the games. It becomes so random and clear that a small hockey nation is easy to punish. Every suspension was only ruled to be a 2 minute minor penalty on the ice.
I haven't seen every games but I haven't seen anything dirty coming from a "big team" either. All the games that I watched were clean....
But if they intend to punish small nations why would it only be Norway? The whole conspiration to suspend players of small teams seems rather idiotic...

Old
05-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Beerfish

And here I was going to make a post in jest at the start of the tourney taking bets on how many games before he got suspended. I'd like the Oilers to get Tollefson, just the kind of player they need.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:07 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
This is not true. Tollefsen is known for playing tough and not being afraid to step into a scrum, or push away people. Not injure guys or playing dirty.

Try watch some games.
I watch games, thank you. I even attended the one against Denmark and what Norway showed was nothing short of disgusting. Tollefsen can consider himself lucky to get away with a minor penalty after his hit on Bodker.

Last edited by stv11: 05-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.
stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Oyabun

I've only seen the situation that lead to this latest suspension and the suspension is well-deserved. Good job IIHF

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
And here I was going to make a post in jest at the start of the tourney taking bets on how many games before he got suspended. I'd like the Oilers to get Tollefson, just the kind of player they need.
Media reported he'll sign with the Nashville Predators from next season.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:25 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
OK Tollefsen played like a moron even in the NHL, so I have a tough time believing he's not deserving of regular discipline at the international level.

Norwegian fans are hilariously over-the-top about Tollefsen. I remember one poster on a different site who told us all about how OKT was planning to knockout both Donald Brashear and Georges Laraque during his second season to really "establish himself."

The guy posted under the name The_Wolf...any chance that's you, Wolfy?

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Sher-Wood

Quote:

Try watch some games.
It is true. Tollefsen is dirty and do attempt injuring players. In the very same game against sweden he deliberately kicked away (slew-foot) the skates of a swedish player at full speed on a brakeaway just in front of the net and it was just pure luck no one got injured in the following collision with the goalie and boards. I don't know if he is frustrated or he is plain stupid but something is very wrong with him. Play tough by all means but some of what he is up to is not tough, it's just something every fool can do if they are stupid enough.

Last edited by Sher-Wood: 05-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Sher-Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Reznor

I've just seen the video of his "slashing". Useless and idiotic play by Tollefsen, the suspension is deserved
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...132533399.html

Old
05-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Robin Hood

Quote:

Try watch some games.
Except he is right and you are absolutely utterly wrong. Tollefsen is Europe's answer to Matt Cooke (or whatever Cooke used to be). Playing dirty and attempting to injure is his game. Try watching some. While you do, notice how he only engages into scrums where he is significantly bigger than the opponent. Otherwise he'll hide behind the referee's legs like a little girl and run his mouth.

However, I too find it strange that there have been no other suspensions (I can't recall any situation that would warrant one), but what I can say is that all three were on the mark.

Last edited by Robin Hood: 05-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor View Post
I've just seen the video of his "slashing". Useless and idiotic play by Tollefsen, the suspension is deserved
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...132533399.html
The guy is sick in his head and an embarrasment to his country and his team mates. Should be kicked out of the tournament.

Edit: Notice how he's always one big question mark when he is sent to the box: What?? Me?? Why??

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote