HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy & Co - Record with Colorado Avalanche

Old
11-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1543175

Pretty awesome.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglesnipe View Post
Wow, very revealing.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

By the way, does anyone even know if Greg Sherman is still alive? With all the added transparency and openness the Avs employ you'd think we would've had a sighting or two...or maybe transparency has the same effect on Greg From Accounting that sunlight has on a vampire.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
By the way, does anyone even know if Greg Sherman is still alive? With all the added transparency and openness the Avs employ you'd think we would've had a sighting or two...or maybe transparency has the same effect on Greg From Accounting that sunlight has on a vampire.
He was on the trip to Toronto Sakic and Kroenke took earlier this year. He's for all intents and purposes an assistant GM.

Sakic isn't all that visible either. He's done a few interviews. It's the Roy show.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He was on the trip to Toronto Sakic and Kroenke took earlier this year. He's for all intents and purposes an assistant GM.

Sakic isn't all that visible either. He's done a few interviews. It's the Roy show.
Which is also how it usually is. Unless they're Brian Burke the "GM" rarely is that visible. It's usually the head coach that's most visible.

We'll probably hear from Sherman about as often as we hear from Charlotte Grahame.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
InjuredChoker

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/pr...snPbzo.twitter

Quote:
Avs captain and Hockey Hall-of-Famer Joe Sakic lined up near the Wings bench before a faceoff, Avery stood up and yelled at Sakic to get his attention.

However, in the two or three seconds it took Sakic to turn his head toward Avery, Red Wings veteran and star winger Brett Hull stood up, reached around another Detroit player, grabbed Avery by the back of the jersey and unceremoniously yanked him back to the seated position before he could utter another word.

“You do not get to talk to Mr. Sakic,” Hull said.

And that was that.

“I was like, ‘Look, you have not earned the right or anything else to be able to talk to Joe Sakic in any manner,’ ” Hull said in a phone conversation late last week. “No matter what (Avery) was going to say, it was not going to be good.”

“With the guys we had on our team – myself, Brendan (Shanahan) and Stevie (Yzerman) – guys played hard and played to win, but when we played Colorado and all the other great teams, we had a lot of respect for them,” Hull said. “They were champions and unbelievable players. And I just never believed in all that chirping anyway.”
thought this was pretty cool.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Nice. HOF players with such high levels of class on and off the ice do not get chirped. You just don't do it. They deserve respect and Hull knew that.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Just gained more respect for Hull after reading that. Wow

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Elever
Hth

If they thought that the dman group earlier would be fine when we were constantly winning in October then Sakic and co are a naive group.

Time to show what they've got and bring in a dman, now's a better time than any tbh.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:38 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
30. Vlasic's got a wicked sense of humour, too. Asked what it's like to receive so much (new) attention, he laughed and said, "It's about time." When Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy shook the glass on opening night, the defenceman joked that he texted, "That didn't take long," to his former junior coach. "I didn't actually do that," Vlasic said. "I sent congratulations. He's going to be very successful."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...al-in-nhl.html

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it would be interesting to compare what the Avs have done this year through 48 games, versus what they did last year through the 48 game season.

The thing that jumps right out at you is they have 28 more points than they did last year!

2012-13

48 GP - 16-25-7 - 39 PTS
Goals For - 116
Goals Against - 152
Differential - -36
PP - 15.0% - 24th
PK - 80.3% - 20th

15th in the west, 29th overall

2013-14

48 GP - 31-12-5 - 67 PTS
Goals For - 142
Goals Against - 122
Differential - +20
PP - 20.1% - 8th
PK - 81.5% - 15th

5th in the west, 6th overall

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...32014&type=CON

Last edited by Foppa2118: 01-19-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old
01-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

A +56 goal differential from last year...

Roy is my hero

Seriously...I know that Mack has been good and all...but this is all Roy and his coaching.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:10 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
A +56 goal differential from last year...

Roy is my hero

Seriously...I know that Mack has been good and all...but this is all Roy and his coaching.
Don't forget good assistants, a goalie coach, and getting rid of most unnecessary players. So it's a combo of Sakic, and the entire coaching staff.

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 113
That's crazy. I was going to look at that after the 48 game mark too. So much improvement in every area. Coaching, culture, MacK, all of it.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Don't forget good assistants, a goalie coach, and getting rid of most unnecessary players. So it's a combo of Sakic, and the entire coaching staff.
Have to give Josh Kroenke some credit. He's allowing Roy to do his stuff with pretty much no strings attached. Everyone deserves credit for this turnaround. Sakic for bringing in Roy. Roy/Sakic for bringing in the right players and getting rid of the useless ones. Roy for bringing in the right coaches to help the players turn it around. Credit to the players for buying into the system and learning from their coaches.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:38 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Hell yeah Tim Army!

JWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Avery wasn't exactly well liked by his own teammates. I remember hearing a story of when he first came up with Detroit, he walked into the locker room (a locker room that included the likes of Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Hull, Robitaille and Hasek) and loudly announced "the big dog is here!" His nickname immediately became "Pup." Seems to me like the vets on that team were already used to having to put him in check.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:10 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Is our PP really that good? I could have sworn I'd seen the comment "OUR PP SUCKS!" more times than it actually is being credited for being good.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Is our PP really that good? I could have sworn I'd seen the comment "OUR PP SUCKS!" more times than it actually is being credited for being good.
Anyone have our record before PAP went down and after? Of course sample size is small, but maybe we started playing more simple hockey and actually started scoring. Our powerplay used to look bad.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeleau Of Blood View Post
Avery wasn't exactly well liked by his own teammates. I remember hearing a story of when he first came up with Detroit, he walked into the locker room (a locker room that included the likes of Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Hull, Robitaille and Hasek) and loudly announced "the big dog is here!" His nickname immediately became "Pup." Seems to me like the vets on that team were already used to having to put him in check.
Yeah. He was probably good enough player for NHL, but he burned all the brigdes in NHL. Stupid player.

Old
01-19-2014, 11:51 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Anyone have our record before PAP went down and after? Of course sample size is small, but maybe we started playing more simple hockey and actually started scoring. Our powerplay used to look bad.
You can easily see the game by game PP stats here. Looks like 10/27 since.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule...rado-avalanche

Old
01-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
You can easily see the game by game PP stats here. Looks like 9/27 since.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule...rado-avalanche
Wow, ESPN is doing good job with NHL stats. Thx!

Old
01-19-2014, 11:53 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Yeah, ESPN does a really nice job with all sorts of stats on team, player, everything. no problem The player game logs are awesome, definitely check it out.

Last edited by tigervixxxen: 01-19-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old
02-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Whatever happens with this team following the break and at the trade deadline, I'm freakin' thrilled with how well it's gone. Not only is this team playing good hockey, they're playing the exact brand of hockey you want a team to be playing. They're not trying to trap, grab, and clutch their way back to relevance. Roy has always said he has a clear disdain for that kind of hockey and thankfully he's not subjecting us to it. Yes, plenty of holes to be filled, but...wow.

And on the PR front these guys have hit all the right notes. It may be a sham, I rightly don't care. At least this organization is acting like they give a **** about their fans again. Nothing was worse than no answers and no accountability coming from the Lacroix/Lacroix/Sherman brain trust.

I know I'm gushing, but after the misery that was the lockout and that abomination of a season in 2013 (Duchene's resurgence aside) a cynical ******* like me is learning to love the NHL again. I was wary of the Roy hiring, but so far, no one with half a brain has any right to complain.

Finally, there's a light at the end of the tunnel of this rebuild.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:57 AM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Whatever happens with this team following the break and at the trade deadline, I'm freakin' thrilled with how well it's gone. Not only is this team playing good hockey, they're playing the exact brand of hockey you want a team to be playing. They're not trying to trap, grab, and clutch their way back to relevance. Roy has always said he has a clear disdain for that kind of hockey and thankfully he's not subjecting us to it. Yes, plenty of holes to be filled, but...wow.

And on the PR front these guys have hit all the right notes. It may be a sham, I rightly don't care. At least this organization is acting like they give a **** about their fans again. Nothing was worse than no answers and no accountability coming from the Lacroix/Lacroix/Sherman brain trust.

I know I'm gushing, but after the misery that was the lockout and that abomination of a season in 2013 (Duchene's resurgence aside) a cynical ******* like me is learning to love the NHL again. I was wary of the Roy hiring, but so far, no one with half a brain has any right to complain.

Finally, there's a light at the end of the tunnel of this rebuild.
Yeah it's fun that we have our ex greats running things and that it's better off for it.

It's also satisfying that Roy and Sakic were both on board with MacKinnon. There was a lot of pressure to take Jones. And Sakic/Roy might have caved just to endear themselves to popular sentiment.

You shouldn't be faulted for gushing. There's a lot to be excited about.

Averick* is offline   Reply With Quote