HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013-2014 Blues Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 06:29 AM
frankielax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
My off-season moves:

-Amac, Leopold lost to free agency
-Halak traded for a top center prospect or a top 15 pick in the draft. He's barely played over the last 2 seasons, so take your chances with Elliott and Allen and spend the money on raises for Pie and Shatty
-Cracknell gets a 1 way contract
-Trade Stewart for a top center prospect and a high pick
-Replace Stewart and Amac with Jaskin and maybe Lehtera on a short tryout contract

Or, just sign a play making center in free agency, but that'll never happen.

Either way, Halak needs to be gone. He makes 4.5 million next year, but he barely plays and has been a non-factor in the last two playoffs. Spend that money on someone that makes a difference.
I agree with 100% of this. In my opinion, could easily swap Perron's name in there for Stewart and accomplish the same end.

Last edited by frankielax: 05-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

I'm not sure the blues need a center "prospect" but more so a center that can step in right now.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
HooliganX2

I don't understand people ready to slot Jaskin into the lineup yet. From the little I saw of him I am not sure if he has NHL skating ability yet.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

"Halak for a top center prospect or a top 15 pick in the draft"

REALLY?

Lehtera "on a short tryout contract" uhhh, wut?

Stewart for "a top center prospect and a high pick"

I did enjoy how these are all things that could possibly ever happen ever but there's skepticism on signing a free agent center.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
The Note
Time's a Flat Circle

I don't understand how people think Halak will net anything of value and go on to say "he's barely played and been a non factor in the playoffs." Would anyone here trade a significant piece for a mediocre, oft injured, overpaid goalie? That's not just directed at one person, but I've seen this train of thought a lot since the PO ended all over.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Halak will return a 2nd or a somewhat good prospect, but nothing special or a player that is in a similar situation. He can definitely return something that we could use, but it won't be spectacular and moving him would be more about salary than anything.

I don't think there is a chance that we resign him unless it is for a decent amount less, so might as well just move him for whatever.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
"Halak for a top center prospect or a top 15 pick in the draft"

REALLY?

Lehtera "on a short tryout contract" uhhh, wut?

Stewart for "a top center prospect and a high pick"

I did enjoy how these are all things that could possibly ever happen ever but there's skepticism on signing a free agent center.
agree, we are already deep in the world of electronic arts here

I also like the "what I would do in the offseason" fanatasies. like you just have to make a list as a GM like you go shopping for bread and tomatoes

-#1 playmaking center...check

-physical, big Dman...check

-50 goal scorer...nah, they are cheaper in the east, gonna get one next week

andonandon

Old
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
aceoutdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
-physical, big Dman...check

I think Hakanpaa will fill that role nicely once he adjust to the smaller ice. I believe just like I did with Schwartz he is gonna be a big surprise to some.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:56 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceoutdoor View Post
I think Hakanpaa will fill that role nicely once he adjust to the smaller ice. I believe just like I did with Schwartz he is gonna be a big surprise to some.
nah, that was just a stupid example...not specifically for the Blues needs

but I agree, I think he could surprise a lot of guys in a positive way

Old
05-15-2013, 01:14 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

The is partially in response to both this thread and the playmaker/finisher thread (and very long...forgive me, I got married on Sunday and haven't posted my series thoughts) but when I step back and look at the series, I think we shouldn't overlook the fact that the Blues were successfully able to generate these scoring chances to begin with. Yes, a majority of those chances weren't finished, but in case you hadn't noticed, LA possesses probably the best goaltender in the league right now.

Out-chancing the Kings (the BEST possession team in the league) in aggregate in a playoff series AND showing a consistent desire and ability to penetrate the slot and goal mouth is a HUGE step and it's something other teams could only dream of doing. The Kings' forwards historic domination of the scoring areas in the head to head matchups against the Blues over the last two years and the Blues' forwards inability to return the favor was my biggest pre-series thought as to why this matchup would lead to a quick exit. And even though they did lose, the Blues did a great job of doing those things I feared they wouldn't be able to do and I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised with most of the forwards

Now, the hard comes in doing some individual analysis and assessing team needs because if you didn't realize it before the series you certainly do now: the Blues got absolutely ********* with this matchup and I think losing to LA in the first round as opposed to the Conference Finals really clouds things because the Blues did a lot of things really well over the course of the series. It's perfectly understandable to read some of the non-knee jerk, post-series comments from Doug Armstrong and I agree with a lot of them.

Every year it seems the dead weight on the team gets smaller and smaller and that's a testament to how solid the roster is and how well the Blues have drafted. I had a conversation with Easton Blues before Game 5 about what should happen to the roster should they lose the series (I knew they would after what happened in Game 4) and whether the core's principal issue with getting over the hump was more physical talent (or lack there of) or mental makeup.

I tended to think that the Blues blew an unbelievable opportunity in Game 4 and that was symptomatic of a core group of players that struggles to find that collective killer instinct that great teams either have or don't have.

But after the emotions subside, the fact is that the Blues played a really, really great series against a great opponent that knows how to win. Many of the players whose moxy was questioned before the series stepped up and every year the team is showing drastic improvements, even if the results are slow developing. This team is close. Super close. Like one-piece-away-close. And despite what appears to be a setback relative to the previous season, I think Armstrong understands that as much as anyone.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

^^^ Congratulations and great assessment!

Old
05-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Cheers are in order for TheOrganist!

And I agree with your assessment for the most part, especially the last paragraph with the Blues needing that key offensive piece from really turning the tide in the post-season. The part of the post I would want to add on to was game 4. I agree that the core group needed to get it done and had the chances; however, part of the problem was definitely Hitch. Not him alone, but his stubborness throughout the series did not help.

But yeah I think we are a one or two pieces away to taking that next step. It's up to Army to get it done and if anyone can it's him. The players and rookies will know what to work on this off-season and the lockout won't be looming over everyone's heads.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
The is partially in response to both this thread and the playmaker/finisher thread (and very long...forgive me, I got married on Sunday and haven't posted my series thoughts) but when I step back and look at the series, I think we shouldn't overlook the fact that the Blues were successfully able to generate these scoring chances to begin with. Yes, a majority of those chances weren't finished, but in case you hadn't noticed, LA possesses probably the best goaltender in the league right now.

Out-chancing the Kings (the BEST possession team in the league) in aggregate in a playoff series AND showing a consistent desire and ability to penetrate the slot and goal mouth is a HUGE step and it's something other teams could only dream of doing. The Kings' forwards historic domination of the scoring areas in the head to head matchups against the Blues over the last two years and the Blues' forwards inability to return the favor was my biggest pre-series thought as to why this matchup would lead to a quick exit. And even though they did lose, the Blues did a great job of doing those things I feared they wouldn't be able to do and I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised with most of the forwards

Now, the hard comes in doing some individual analysis and assessing team needs because if you didn't realize it before the series you certainly do now: the Blues got absolutely ********* with this matchup and I think losing to LA in the first round as opposed to the Conference Finals really clouds things because the Blues did a lot of things really well over the course of the series. It's perfectly understandable to read some of the non-knee jerk, post-series comments from Doug Armstrong and I agree with a lot of them.

Every year it seems the dead weight on the team gets smaller and smaller and that's a testament to how solid the roster is and how well the Blues have drafted. I had a conversation with Easton Blues before Game 5 about what should happen to the roster should they lose the series (I knew they would after what happened in Game 4) and whether the core's principal issue with getting over the hump was more physical talent (or lack there of) or mental makeup.

I tended to think that the Blues blew an unbelievable opportunity in Game 4 and that was symptomatic of a core group of players that struggles to find that collective killer instinct that great teams either have or don't have.

But after the emotions subside, the fact is that the Blues played a really, really great series against a great opponent that knows how to win. Many of the players whose moxy was questioned before the series stepped up and every year the team is showing drastic improvements, even if the results are slow developing. This team is close. Super close. Like one-piece-away-close. And despite what appears to be a setback relative to the previous season, I think Armstrong understands that as much as anyone.
Congratulations! Make sure to make a point of both of you waking up every day with a smile on your face and good morning you-know-what. That's the foundation of something great.

I agree with your series assessment, I do think they're very close. A lot of us knew how brutal on the team's ability to get playoff revenue a first round series with LA was before it happened, and sure enough. I think if they finish one of the many chances in Games 3, 5, 6 the Blues had enough to win this series. I didn't see a problem creating chances. As you point out, this group dominated a completely dominating puck possession team. That led to the chances. I did not come away from the series thinking, if only we'd had more chances. We pretty much maxed out on quality chances against a team like LA.

I thought I had after Game 5 was this was like the Ali-Foreman Rumble in the Jungle. We were Foreman, punching ourselves out while LA simply withheld us and in the end had the energy for the knockout punch. Had a real Rope-a-Dope feel. (Only difference is Foreman was heavily favored going into that fight in 1974.)

Old
05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
rrude

Definitely not a blow it all up situation. C is a problem, Backes is not a number 1. Still could improve on D. Leopold wasn't a big hit with me.

The Blues were right there in every game, and they weren't thrown around like last year. Can't get past feeling like the difference is Jeff Carter actually scores goals and the Blues don't. Too simplistic I know, but...

Old
05-16-2013, 01:11 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Thanks gents. We had Charles Glenn's band at the reception and he knew we were huge Blues fans so they whipped out a mean "When the Blues Go Marchin' In" for us like he does pre-game. It was great and everyone was clapping. Too bad they couldn't have won Game 6 or it would've been really rocking.

Anyway, I think we all agree this team is close.

My point about appreciating Armstrong and Hitchcock's rational views of the series is that if we didn't have as solid a GM/Coach tandem as we do now, I think the situation would be ripe for an offseason panic move. With the way the Blues lost (lack of scoring), with this year being on the surface a setback (it wasn't, but they lost in the 1st round after winning a round last year), with the fans certainly unhappy, and with ownership probably disappointed after spending at the deadline with little to show for it, you could see lesser management teams around the league or knee jerk GM's of Blues past making an over-reactive offseason move(s).

But you just have to watch the post-mortem videos of Hitch and Army to grasp their thoughts that this team as currently constructed has improved drastically and that the Blues need to get "5 to 10%" more out of the homegrown players while maybe using the one player they view as the most expendable as a trade chip.

These are brought hockey men who understand the playoffs are a different animal (as P9's said in the other thread) and they appear to have made the determination this group of players took a massive step this post-season.

If anything, you get the sense that goaltending, not the skaters will give the front office the biggest offseason headache.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Bluesman91

I don't think it matters if it's a scoring winger or a playmaking center, but just that one play that puts us over the top, whoever it may be.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:57 AM
BlueDream

Yeah we are really one player away (top line forward, or possibly a starting goalie) from being a real force in the West. This team is very close. I'm still excited about them because they played a great series against LA and could have easily won; I thought they looked like overall the better team but what happened happened and we still have a bright future. I am very glad Armstrong is the one calling the shots for this team. We're in good hands and moving in the right direction for sure.

Old
05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
oPlaiD

Everyone acts like the Kings have some magic ability to score goals with their super talented Carter and Kopitar etc., but the fact is they only scored 4 more goals in the regular season and that's a meaningless difference.

The biggest differences in the series were luck and goaltending.

The Blues don't need to blow it up and should only get better with more quality minutes from Schwartz and Tarasenko and less from guys like McDonald.

People are definitely overreacting to a disappointing result. Sure, we could use a more secure goaltending situation. Yes, we definitely could use some more top end forward talent. But the Blues as currently constituted are GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP. It'd be more clear if we didn't play LA in the first round and had swept Vancouver before moving on to a five or six game series win against San Jose before the conference finals, but we drew LA and despite outplaying them we lost a close series.

We could still make incremental improvements and be a top five team in the NHL without making any big moves or trades. Just bring in Jaskin/Lehtera to replace McDonald, re-sign our RFAs, and give some more minutes to Tarasenko and Schwartz. We have the luxury of resources to allow us to possibly pull off a big move, but it's not necessary or required or even advised, depending on what's out there. So we will see.

As others have mentioned above our highest touted forward prospects are just now entering the NHL, and we still have Jaskin and Rattie, who have higher or just as high goal scoring potential than any of the crop of guys now making up the core of our roster. Like Armstrong said, it's hard to get those top players without drafting them... so hopefully we just have to wait and see, since the Blues won't have a high draft pick for many years now.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
BadgersandBlues

I just watched the Hitchcock exit interview. Man that guy is a good coach. Might have made some decisions we disagree with, but he knows what he's talking about.

The one thing I heard that I really liked was the individual action plans, with outside help. Berglund could be so ****ing good if we got him a power skating coach that could get through his thick skull. I hope all the players take what the coaches say to heart and work their ass off this off-season.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 05-25-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
YOUR FEARLESS LEADER
rip bruv/cudi

We just need some kind of elite offensive player, goal scorer or producer

Old
05-23-2013, 02:17 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Apparently there might be tweaks to the jersey. I would love if they added back piping on the bottom and improve the shoulders.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Apparently there might be tweaks to the jersey. I would love if they added back piping on the bottom and improve the shoulders.
Yeah agreed, some tough ups would be nice. Right now they're kind of plain. The bottom with nothing on it just doesn't look right for a hockey jersey.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Linus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Where'd you hear that? I hope so. I'd love to see them get rid of the piping in the front and back. Something simpler/classic.

Old
05-23-2013, 05:26 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Where'd you hear that? I hope so. I'd love to see them get rid of the piping in the front and back. Something simpler/classic.
Oh please, oh please, oh please Stillman, make this happen. The piping needs to go!

Old
05-23-2013, 05:46 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
JRs chat.

Closed Thread