HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VAN + NJD (Luongo)

Old
05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
VAN + NJD (Luongo)

To NJD: Luongo + Rights to Roy
To VAN: Zajac

also;

To NJD: Burrows
To VAN: Fayne + 2015 1st
(I know this is tough since you have to give up your 2014 1st for nothing already)

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
No ... No need to get a goalie, especially not by moving Zajac

Just bad. The 2nd one isnt as bad, but still I prob wouldnt do it

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:11 PM
EnglishDevil

Absolutely no interest in Burrows whatsoever, especially not at that price.

As for Luongo, i'd have lukewarm interest as i think he is a very solid goaltender, but that contract is really hard to swallow. I definitely wouldn't give up Zajac though, not necessarily from a value perspective (he underachieved his first year on his big contract), but i have faith in Zajac as a player that he will regain some of his previously demonstrated offensive form. I do not expect him to become Horcoff 2.0, and his defensive contributions and our lack of other skilled experienced centers make him unmovable in my opinion, he's still a valuable asset to our team even when he isn't scoring.

If we really do decide to pursue other goaltending options next season outside of Brodeur/Hedberg (unlikely) then i expect we'd be looking more for a younger cheaper option than Luongo; which is probably why our two teams don't make great trading partners.

I don't know particularly what Vancouvers needs are, but i personally wouldn't overpay for Luongo and im pretty sure you guys could get a better haul elsewhere, mostly because I wouldn't part with any major asset like Larsson, the 9th pick, Zajac etc to acquire him.

I'd gladly give up a couple of nice secondary pieces like Severson, 2nd round pick, MAYBE Merrill or Boucher, but outside of that i just don't think it would be worth it for the Devils.

EnglishDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I don't see why we need Zajac. I don't think he's a significant upgrade over Roy, whom we might as well re-sign if that's what we want.

I would trade Schneider for something around Henrique or the 9th overall, though.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I don't know which of these is worse....yikes.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:17 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
To NJD: Luongo + Rights to Roy
To VAN: Zajac

also;

To NJD: Burrows
To VAN: Fayne + 2015 1st
(I know this is tough since you have to give up your 2014 1st for nothing already)
So the Devils have arguably one of the worst contracts ever signed in the NHL, that cost them a 1st, add to that the contract of Lou which is just as bad if not worse? And you expect the Devils to give up value for that?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Kovalchuk's contract is one of the worst contracts ever?

could have fooled me.

find me one Devils fan unhappy with it.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:22 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Kovalchuk's contract is one of the worst contracts ever?

could have fooled me.

find me one Devils fan unhappy with it.
It must be a great contract, so good its worth giving up a 1st round pick? All the best on expectations of having him produce effectively in his late 30's and early 40's.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:25 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So the Devils have arguably one of the worst contracts ever signed in the NHL, that cost them a 1st, add to that the contract of Lou which is just as bad if not worse? And you expect the Devils to give up value for that?
Worst contract ever signed? 6.6 cap hit for a player who came 2 OT wins from winning a cup? A player who when healthy carried NJ on his broken back to the finals?

Kovalchuk's cap hit is not even in the top 30, time to do some research friend.

This place really is the absolute bottom of the trash heap.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
It must be a great contract, so good its worth giving up a 1st round pick? All the best on expectations of having him produce effectively in his late 30's and early 40's.
yes, because when the Devils signed it, they knew they were going to be giving up the pick. even though other contracts have been given out equally as bad, and have not been penalized. (See: Luongo, Hossa, etc.)

and he will still produce for years to come. that shot is not going anywhere.

but thank you for your opinions. Devils fans are happy to have him signed for a reasonable cap hit.

Last edited by Zajacs Bowl Cut: 05-08-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

BUT HE WONT BE THAT GOOD WHEN HES FORTY BRO

Well you have us there.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:34 PM
New Liskeard

So a 30 year old player who is signed until 2025 at 6.6 mil per year cap hit, and having to give up a 1 st round pick for that contract, is a great deal? If thats a great deal, Lou in his late 30's and 40's will certainlly be earning his 5.3 cap hit per year, as Ilya will his 6.6 during those years of his contract as well. Enjoy it.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:34 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
anyone complaining about Kovys contract is jealous of whatever their star player is capping them

and no to giving up Zajac.

KaossKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
So a 30 year old player who is signed until 2025 at 6.6 mil per year cap hit, and having to give up a 1 st round pick for that contract, is a great deal? If thats a great deal, Lou in his late 30's and 40's will certainlly be earning his 5.3 cap hit per year, as Ilya will his 6.6 during those years of his contract as well. Enjoy it.
the Devils gave up no players of any value in the Kovalchuk trade. Niclas Bergfors (out of NHL), Johnny Oduya (decent DMan, nothing special) and Patrice Cormier (fringe NHL player). plus a 1st rounder (but they also got ATL's 2nd, and took Jon Merrill with the pick).

so if you want to keep bringing up the pick, just add it to the original trade. 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a couple crap/decent players for Kovalchuk and Jon Merrill. sounds like a good deal to me.

you enjoy your Luongo, whom nobody wants, and us Devils fans will enjoy Kovalchuk score goals and add to his hall of fame career for the next 10 years.

again, thank you for your concern. don't blame me that no one wants your overpaid goalie.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
the Devils gave up no players of any value in the Kovalchuk trade. Niclas Bergfors (out of NHL), Johnny Oduya (decent DMan, nothing special) and Patrice Cormier (fringe NHL player). plus a 1st rounder (but they also got ATL's 2nd, and took Jon Merrill with the pick).

so if you want to keep bringing up the pick, just add it to the original trade. 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a couple crap/decent players for Kovalchuk and Jon Merrill. sounds like a good deal to me.

you enjoy your Luongo, whom nobody wants, and us Devils fans will enjoy Kovalchuk score goals and add to his hall of fame career for the next 10 years.

again, thank you for your concern. don't blame me that no one wants your overpaid goalie.
He isn't a Canucks fan. He's a Leafs fan who hates any cap circumventing contracts, Luongo's, Kovalchuk's, etc.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He isn't a Canucks fan. He's a Leafs fan who hates any cap circumventing contracts, Luongo's, Kovalchuk's, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. And to be honest, i dont hate anything, I just find it very amusing to see Cannucks fans talk about how great a contract Lou has, and the Leafs need to aquire him at such a high cost. Yet the Cannucks can't give Lou away? Very strange how that works isnt it?

Old
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

If the Devils fans are happy with Kovalchuks contract, good for you guys. As far as i am concerned I dont want any part of Lou and that dog contract. Wouldnt take it for free, and looks like no other team is interested in Lou and giving anything of value unless the Nucks chew some of that contract for the duration. Heck even Lou thinks his contract sucks, yet Nucks fans say its great?

Old
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
What the hell are you even rambling on about? You say this as if Kovalchuk is the only player in the NHL with a contract of that caliber.

He's signed into his late 30's and 40's. Yes. We get that. It's what the Devils sacrificed in order to lower his annual cap hit. It's a risk, but again it's a risk that pretty much every team has accepted as well. You're saying, ok, we'll put ourselves in a bit of a probematic situation 10 years from now for the sake of giving us a better shot at the cup for the next 5-6 years. If you think it's bad because of that, then you should call the Chara, Hossa, Keith, Ovechkin, Crosby, Lecavalier, Zetterberg, Nash, Mikko Koivu, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter..... etc. etc. etc. contracts bad contracts as well.

Welcome to the salary cap world. Get used to it.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
The Devils don't have to forfeit a pick for Kovy's contract. It was the 17 year deal which was rejected by the NHL which we have to pay a fine and give up the pick for. His current contract is perfectly legal and a great cap hit for the caliber of player he is. Plus he will more than likely retire a few years before his contract expires.

On topic if the Devils feel like they want another goalie in the system they an always draft Zach Fucale but we already have 3. After Marty retires, we'd only really need someone to fill in for a few years while they finish developing.

Vancouver will end up having to buy out Luongo's contract or just ride it out.

Last edited by Jerzey Devil: 05-08-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:27 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see why we need Zajac. I don't think he's a significant upgrade over Roy, whom we might as well re-sign if that's what we want.
The theory would be to trade undesirable contracts.

Vancouver cannot afford to sign Roy.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:29 PM
apice3*

i would sign kovy to the same exact deal if given the chance again

the draft pick is irrelevant. Stupid to even bring it up. Has nothing to do with his current contract.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:30 PM
apice3*

also slipping through the rambling is someone saying zajac isnt a significant upgrade over roy

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
If by "player" you mean "Rocket Richard winning, 1st Team All-Star, perennial PPG winger widely regarded as an athletic freak of nature and one of the best forwards in pro hockey", then the answer is yes, having him locked up long term at a $6.6M cap hit is a great deal.

Also, LOL at comparing the shelf life of a goalie to the shelf life of a forward. Butterfly goalies almost always burn out around age 35, the only goalies who compete at a high level in their late 30's/early 40's are hybrid/unorthodox goalies like Brodeur, Hasek, and Thomas. There are plenty of +35 forwards in hockey that are still highly productive, one of them just one the Art Ross trophy.

The two contracts are apples and oranges. There's a reason goalies rarely get deals over 5 years in length. Perhaps your GM should have done some research to learn that knees and hard surfaces don't combine very well.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
7thOverdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDevil View Post
I'd gladly give up a couple of nice secondary pieces like Severson, 2nd round pick, MAYBE Merrill or Boucher, but outside of that i just don't think it would be worth it for the Devils.
This is where the discussion should have branched off of, not on Kovy's contract.

Loungo for Severson + 2nd round pick + project prospect

I think that would fit both teams needs. Devils could then trade spare dmen, which you guys have an abundant of, for more draft picks to replenish anything lost in the Luongo deal.

7thOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
SiCKNESS

Schneider for Henrique and a prospect?

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote