HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bandwagon Fans?

Old
04-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Bandwagon Fans?

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/04/29/an...ed-wings-fans/

I'd have to imagine a team as successful as Detroit has been deals with their share of bandwagon fans. Thoughts?

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:59 AM
probertrules24

Your link tells me we have 404 of them.

Just kidding.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:08 AM
ChadS

I don't think there's anything wrong with bandwagon fans.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Your link tells me we have 404 of them.

Just kidding.
Yep, we have 404 bandwagon fans.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Define bandwagon fans. I'm just curious.

I'm not from Detroit, Michigan or the US for that matter. None of my family or friends are Wings fans. I started watching the NHL, I liked the team (players, style, etc.) and I became a fan. Is that bandwagon-ing? If so, I'm a bandwagon-er.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

His assessment is pretty spot on. My Facebook news feed is filled with Red Wing fans once the playoffs start. They say how proud they are to be a Wings fan and how much they love the team, but you could count the number of games they saw this season with one hand.

That group of fans is the most obnoxious out of all sports.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post

I'm not from Detroit, Michigan or the US for that matter. None of my family or friends are Wings fans. I started watching the NHL, I liked the team (players, style, etc.) and I became a fan. Is that bandwagon-ing? If so, I'm a bandwagon-er.
I dont think being from Detroit or Michigan has anything to do with it. You have chosen a team and stuck with them. To me Bandwagon fans means somebody who starts cheering for them for the short term because it suites them.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
http://thefarmclub.net/2013/04/29/an...ed-wings-fans/

I'd have to imagine a team as successful as Detroit has been deals with their share of bandwagon fans. Thoughts?

A couple of thoughts. Every team has them, especially once the excitement picks up. In that regard, the Wings are only unique in that they have this twenty-two year streak going.

Secondly, the people who will read this and respond [here] are the hardcore, diehard hockey nuts who spend hours on a hockey message board every single day. I doubt they can truly empathize.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
we like our team
#1 brett lebda fan

don't really care at all why people are fans of a team or whether it's genuine or not

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
aar000n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post

Bandwagon is someone who goes from team to team. I had a friend in high school who went from team to team. Freshman he was the biggest Dallas fan then he jumped to buffalo and on and on.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Wingdings

I agree with a lot of your points, but I usually don't let this kind of thing bother me. If you know you're right and they're wrong, or that you know more than they do, I'm not sure why you'd let it bother you either.

Wingdings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I find bandwagon fans annoying.

I consider bandwagons those who only follow the team when they're good or in the playoffs or those who hop from team to team (i.e. all the Heat fans that sprouted up in Summer 2010). Some do admit it though and I can respect that. The worst are the people who don't and then pretend to be the biggest fan in the world and act like they know it all.

All cities have em but percentages vary. The worst is when you live in a different city than your favorite team like I do. The bandwagon Philadelphia fans irk me to no end.

The Sixers are the only hometown team I root and even when they're in the playoffs I get mad at the bandwagons and tell them to go watch the Flyers or the Eagles and stop pretending to be a Sixers fan.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Yemack

It is something every non Michigan resident fans have to deal with to some degree. After all these years though, it doesnt bother me. I know some of you are in same boat as me and if you get bothered by it, that's exactly what they want. I just laugh it off because, chances are, they are the bandwagon fans. I think it's a form of defense mechanism. That's why I just smile. (though it never happens to me anymore) They are showing their insecurity by trying too hard.

As for actual 'bandwagon fans', I have no problem with them. When Leafs are in playoff, bandwagoners or not, the city itself actually feels different. And I know for sure that majority of the people who say 'go leafs' are casual fans who barely know any leafs player. 'Is Sundin still playing?' However, it's like the crowd in festival. Does it really matter the crowd followed the event year round? No. More the merrier.

It's kinda funny because I denounced Red wings/NHL's existence from my life beginning of this season. I deleted all red wings/nhl related link from my browser, gave away several paraphernalia, and just totally blocked out NHL from my life. To come back here in HF, typing away about fans and what not.. kinda makes me chuckle.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
DRWCountryClub

Gotta think the Pens take the cake on bandwagoners since Crosby was drafted.

I'm a Wings fan for life, couldn't watch many games this year, and have never seen them live(one day). Sometimes life gets in the way, but that doesn't make me less of a fan.

I like the Caps basically because of Ovi and cheering for him vs Crosby when he came into the league and the years following, so I guess I jumped on the wagon, but they're kind of a second team so who cares.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:41 PM
LeighDx13

I always thought of bandwagoners as fans who start cheering for a team only when they are winning. When Crosby won the Cup one of my friends decided to be his "biggest fan" and became unbearable whenever he won something, like the Gold Medal. Never made mention of him the rest of the year until he won something.

As for Detroit, I may not see alot people posting through out the season, but I know alot of my friends are Wings fans, especially those who have jobs and dont have the luxury of posting Wings statuses every night they play. Im sure we have plenty of bandwagoners, but I think we still have alot more true fans then most other teams fans would like to admit. I dont think we have anything on the Pens bandwagon though lol

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:39 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I'm totally a bandwagon fan. I'll be gone as soon as the Wings stop winning.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

It's the "price" of success. The Hawks and Bruins sure discovered a lot of "lifelong" fans in the last few years as well.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:39 AM
GeneralOddball

Send a message via Skype™ to GeneralOddball
I love the Red Wings. I'm Swedish and people here in Sweden say I only like them because there are so many Swedes on the team. But I don't care about that. This whole team been my favourite for years before Zetterberg and Franzen joined for example.

Last edited by GeneralOddball: 04-30-2013 at 09:27 AM.
GeneralOddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Tomas W

Well I hoped on the bandwagon some 7-8 years ago or so since the Wings played an attractive hockey combined with the fact that there are (and has been) some notable swedes on the team. I will likely continue to cheer on the wings even when/if both the success and the great swedes are gone. But maybe a little less so.....

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterbrunner View Post
I agree with a lot of your points, but I usually don't let this kind of thing bother me. If you know you're right and they're wrong, or that you know more than they do, I'm not sure why you'd let it bother you either.
Because it's annoying. The Blue Jays games have/had been over run by brand new fans. I had newbs behind me booing Vernon Wells because a few of the regular idiots were. One actually asked the other "Who is this guy and why are we booing him" other guy says "I don't know"....

I hope they have jumped off the wagon and don't come back. How can you go to a Jays game and not know who Vernon Wells is?

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

OP mixed up fairweather and bandwagon.

Pretentious article, too.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
OP mixed up fairweather and bandwagon.

Pretentious article, too.
That's the word I was looking for. Dude's just patting himself on the back for being an "actual Red Wings fan".

GeoSacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:45 AM
hyduK

I feel like a bandwagon fan sometimes. When I started watching hockey (~1994) I chose the Wings because they were my cousins team (I was like 5). They've never made it very hard on me.

hyduK is offline   Reply With Quote