HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
  #751
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,554
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
a lot of people were arguing the Halak could have one that AHL championship be was basically pushed aside to let Price play.
Well we will never know that. So we can't bring this up. Remains that Price was particularly brillant. The point was that the move wasn't too fair for Halak, that's for sure. But when the guy ends up winning it all....tough to be critical of it...

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
  #752
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The list of hall of fame goalies is what it is because of talent but also because they had the mindset and desire . It's not clear if Price has the talent it is clear he doesn't have the make up and personality type.

He's inevitably going to be criticized for his lack of results and some people will mistake that for being run out of town . The city and the organization has treated him like royalty the rest is up to him.

He's not being compared unfairly most fans would be quite happy with him if he reached top 10 status and became a playoff warrior. That's not too much to ask someone who has been handed so much . If he can't achieve that the team needs to move on to another option .
Hell I would be happy with him being a Top 25 goalie but an accountable goalie ( a playoff warrior ), a little bit like Halak was.

A goalie that can change a game on his own more often then once every two month.

durojean is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
  #753
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Hell I would be happy with him being a Top 25 goalie but an accountable goalie ( a playoff warrior ), a little bit like Halak was.

A goalie that can change a game on his own more often then once every two month.
I would have been okay with this a year ago. However, he is no longer being payed like a top 25 goalie but more like a top 4 goalie. I think we are getting a lot of the Scott Gomez effect on Price in recent months. A lot of people argued that Gomez was a good pickup at 1.5 million, but not at 7 million in salary. Something which I agree with. Price at his salary and contract can't play like a top 25 goalie he has to play like a top 5 goalie.

Ollie Williams is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:02 PM
  #754
haburger*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
i'm still laughing at the fact "lafleurs guy" thinks quick and price are on the same level.hf boards is the best!!!!!!!!!

haburger* is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
  #755
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
i'm still laughing at the fact "lafleurs guy" thinks quick and price are on the same level.hf boards is the best!!!!!!!!!
Aside from a playoff run they have had VERY similar careers

CP31 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
  #756
haburger*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Aside from a playoff run they have had VERY similar careers
wow.

haburger* is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
  #757
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Aside from a playoff run they have had VERY similar careers
Yeah that's a BIG difference that's the point .

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
  #758
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Aside from a playoff run they have had VERY similar careers
every single team in the league wish they had a goalie who can be as clutch as Quick for their playoff run...

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:25 PM
  #759
haburger*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
quick is unreal.one of the best in the league no doubt.i'm sure i can speak for most on here and say i really really hope price can become that one day.we all like carey price.we just dont like how his career is trending.

haburger* is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
  #760
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
If you put almost any goalie in the league on that team during the POs last year they still win.

CP31 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:40 PM
  #761
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
If you put almost any goalie in the league on that team during the POs last year they still win.
Complete nonsense .

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
  #762
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,554
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Complete nonsense .
That's mostly totally subjective and I have no idea why people use those statements to try to prove a point...As if people would respond..."Euh...well yeah. You're right. I understand now.".

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:46 PM
  #763
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I would have been okay with this a year ago. However, he is no longer being payed like a top 25 goalie but more like a top 4 goalie. I think we are getting a lot of the Scott Gomez effect on Price in recent months. A lot of people argued that Gomez was a good pickup at 1.5 million, but not at 7 million in salary. Something which I agree with. Price at his salary and contract can't play like a top 25 goalie he has to play like a top 5 goalie.
Well you better give the memo to the other goalies to stop outplaying Price then.
This is some farmers-logic.

You pay for the numbers of quality games played, not the end stats at the end of the year. Obviously, this year seems like a down year for Price. What separates him from the pack, like Rinne, Lehtonen and others is that he(they) can play a lot of quality games. This is half a season... all the starters have played most of the games.

Price is still 9th in wins this season, 22nd in save % for starters(24+ Games played) 22nd in GAA. Does it sound all that bad when you take out all the non-starters? I don't think so. Anyway, I don't think you can actually judge a player by looking at stats... But it certainly negates your point.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
  #764
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 500
Personally i had enough of peice... for me is is a maf clone..could win a championship with a stacked team otherwise he can put great stats but when the pressure is at its climax that when he bends and i cannot take it anymore. Seeing pitts vs sens yesterday... i saw such a big difference... even reminding me of previous goalies we had who made a similar job... huet, theodore had great stats in montreal i am convinved many goalies would excell here... i would trade him... but i know 100% it wont happen not MB Style... yet he might regret it.

Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
  #765
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Complete nonsense .
It's not complete non-sense.

LA is a really good team and if you think the sheer fact of them not having Quick would make them tweeners, no one can help you. Now maybe they don't win the cup, I don't know.

Anyway, this point is dumb. Why can't we just concentrate on what is important?

Like what can we do to actually freaking win ?

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:53 PM
  #766
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Personally i had enough of peice... for me is is a maf clone..could win a championship with a stacked team otherwise he can put great stats but when the pressure is at its climax that when he bends and i cannot take it anymore. Seeing pitts vs sens yesterday... i saw such a big difference... even reminding me of previous goalies we had who made a similar job... huet, theodore had great stats in montreal i am convinved many goalies would excell here... i would trade him... but i know 100% it wont happen not MB Style... yet he might regret it.
When was the pressure at a climax in this series ? From all I know, two team start equal, at 0-0.

You obviously didn't watch the game closely enough as Vok˘ne was out of position more than any other goalie I've seen.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:55 PM
  #767
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,554
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It's not complete non-sense.

LA is a really good team and if you think the sheer fact of them not having Quick would make them tweeners, no one can help you. Now maybe they don't win the cup, I don't know.

Anyway, this point is dumb. Why can't we just concentrate on what is important?

Like what can we do to actually freaking win ?
I have no idea how in the same post you can claim that it's not nonsense...but then add that "you don't know if they'd have win the cup". The guy is mentioning that they would. So in reality, you disagree with him, hence his post being nonsense. 'Cause it's actually something you absolutely cannot know hence no point in bringing it in discussion.

By the way, WE are concentrating on what's important. Whining. The management though is the one who REALLY needs to concentrate...

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
  #768
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,554
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You obviously didn't watch the game closely enough as Vok˘ne was out of position more than any other goalie I've seen.
Strange how even how we watch games is so different. I was thinking yesterday that Vokoun is actually a goalie who doesn't move a whole lot in front of his net, especially compared to Price. He stays square and doesn't move too much. Now...even in less movement, is he always at the right spot? Probably not, reason why he's nothing more than a backup.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
  #769
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have no idea how in the same post you can claim that it's not nonsense...but then add that "you don't know if they'd have win the cup". The guy is mentioning that they would. So in reality, you disagree with him, hence his post being nonsense. 'Cause it's actually something you absolutely cannot know hence no point in bringing it in discussion.

By the way, WE are concentrating on what's important. Whining. The management though is the one who REALLY needs to concentrate...
It is non-sense, but it's not complete That was my point

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
  #770
haburger*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
If you put almost any goalie in the league on that team during the POs last year they still win.
any goalie in the league?double wow.

haburger* is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
  #771
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strange how even how we watch games is so different. I was thinking yesterday that Vokoun is actually a goalie who doesn't move a whole lot in front of his net, especially compared to Price. He stays square and doesn't move too much. Now...even in less movement, is he always at the right spot? Probably not, reason why he's nothing more than a backup.
Yep, last line is where its at. He also scared the crap out of me every time he tried to play the puck, something I don't feel when Price does it.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:01 PM
  #772
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,554
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Yep, last line is where its at. He also scared the crap out of me every time he tried to play the puck, something I don't feel when Price does it.
Problem I see with Price at playing the puck is because he's too confortable doing it. One of the best in the league, yet you have the idea that it's too easy for him....and he makes his share of bad passes because of it. Needs to be more aggressive in that department, not take anything for granted. But Vokoun plain sucks in that department.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
  #773
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,017
vCash: 500
Carey puts a lot of mustard on his passes so if they get intercepted the player has a hard time getting control of the puck and putting it in the open net. Lots of time, the guy fumbles around with the puck, Price gets back in his net and a d-man takes away the forecheckers time and space.

Frozenice is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
  #774
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Problem I see with Price at playing the puck is because he's too confortable doing it. One of the best in the league, yet you have the idea that it's too easy for him....and he makes his share of bad passes because of it. Needs to be more aggressive in that department, not take anything for granted. But Vokoun plain sucks in that department.
Yet, he still makes 10 times less mistakes than most of the goalies out there.

I'd like to see our defensive system be based around Price, work with his strength.... We will need to wait for a new coach for that I guess.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  #775
Bacchus1
Registered User
 
Bacchus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
We need better D -- Price also needs to play better. This isn't all on Price; it isn't none either.

Bacchus1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.