HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Holland and Babcock be fired if the Wings lose tomorrow? MOD warning post #175

View Poll Results: Fire Holland and Babcock
Yes 6 3.26%
No 155 84.24%
Only fire Holland 21 11.41%
Only fire Babcock 2 1.09%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
jz68

vCash: 500
Should Holland and Babcock be fired if the Wings lose tomorrow? MOD warning post #175

Curious to see where all of you stand.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Jurky
Nightmare on Helm St

vCash: 77
No. If you want to fire them it should be for their entire body of work not for taking the Hawks to 7 games even to lose (if...errr when they lose)

Old
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
We beat the #2 seed and are taking the #1 seed to game 7 with this roster, no way they should be fired.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
RocketCityRocker

No. Before this series started, I didn't think the Wings had more than a puncher's chance at beating Chicago. Whatever happens, win or lose Game 7, I have to say they exceeded my wildest expectations.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:16 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I said yes to firing Holland. But really I would fire him if they won tomorrow as well.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:19 PM
SoupGuru

Yes, fire them all! Blow up the team! SELL SELL SELL

Are you fricking crazy?

Old
05-28-2013, 12:20 PM
jz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I said yes to firing Holland. But really I would fire him if they won tomorrow as well.
So tell me, why should he be fired? Is it because he couldn't swing a deal to get Suter here, even though he went to the Wild to play with Parise and there was no way we had the cap room to sign both, or is it because he refused to overspend on some defensive help before the trade deadline? What moves should Holland have made that lead you to believe he should be fired? This isn't the old NHL with no salary cap, money has to be spent wisely.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

Holland should be fired because he hasn't done anything to improve the team in several years and our performance has slipped dramatically in that time

look at what's said above "we beat the second seed with this roster!"... that says it all about Ken's performance since 2009.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
ProPAIN
Playoffs! NOW!!

And then they ask why it's so quiet around here...

Old
05-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

I don't really think Holland should be fired, just shifted into the same role as Jimmy D.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
We have taken the best regular season team to seven game in the second round. Hell no they shouldn't be fired for exceeding expectations.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Choking away a 3-1 one lead is extremely frustrating and I'd rather have lost in 5 in that the case.

But this team has far exceeding mine and others' expectations already this win or lose tomorrow. So no way in hell will they will be fired, nor should they be.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:47 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

He should be fired for lack of vision. The team isn't good enough to win a Cup and Holland missed the boat a number of off-seasons to either make it good enough to do so or to speed up the rebuilding process.

The fact, we have instead chosen the "a bit from column A, a bit from column B" path so that we're stuck in "too rich to die, too poor to live" mode is a grave failure on part of management.

Even if we win tomorrow, that's not changed. In reality, this playoff "push" is something of a mirage rather than a showcase for sustainable success.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He should be fired for lack of vision. The team isn't good enough to win a Cup and Holland missed the boat a number of off-seasons to either make it good enough to do so or to speed up the rebuilding process.

The fact, we have instead chosen the "a bit from column A, a bit from column B" path so that we're stuck in "too rich to die, too poor to live" mode is a grave failure on part of management.

Even if we win tomorrow, that's not changed. In reality, this playoff "push" is something of a mirage rather than a showcase for sustainable success.
I've softened a bit on the whole Holland thing, but for the most part I agree. I don't think we should've done anything at the deadline anymore, but some of the changes we've seen this year should've been implemented at least one season ago.

However, I do disagree with your last point. I don't think the success is a mirage, I think it gives insight as to what this team is capable of. Sure, with Datsyuk and Z getting older, the window to win with them are closing, but I'm seeing a lot from our defense, much more than I thought we would. I think that within the next 2-3 years we're going to see the Wings get back to the top of the league.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:52 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Fire Holland no matter what.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Fire Holland no matter what.
Any chance you could rationally explain why Holland should be fired if this team makes the WCF? I've been on the Holland bashing train all season, but if his plan works, what's the difference?

There's an old comic of an older couple golfing and the husband says to the wife 'I don't care if you got a hole in one, you're holding the club wrong!'. I think the majority of people have been wrong about a lot of aspects of the team, but that doesn't excuse Holland's lack of improvements. His wait and see has paid off a bit, but it could be much better.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:57 PM
SoupGuru

Are we too used to having bought our Cup winning teams still? People seem to expect that we are capable of building a significantly better team than anyone else... like it should just happen, because we're the Wings. Holland is out there competing with every other GM for top talent and he doesn't have a blank check anymore. Suter ring any bells? Short of kidnapping him and chaining him to a goal post, we're just going to have to accept the fact that he was unattainable. We're going to have to get used to it.

But all the other teams are going through the same things too. Coaching is incredibly important now. This degree of parity means the teams that can do more with what they have will be successful. Tell me we haven't done that this year. To even suggest we let go of one of the best coaches in the league is laughable.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:58 PM
chances14

i know it's going to be very disappointing if the wings lose tomorrow, people need to look at the big picture. wings made it to the second round and pushed the best team in the league to 7 games.

all this while a lot of people had written them off halfway through this season.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

"look how terrible we are, yet we did better than expected in the playoffs... clearly the man who built this mediocre roster is a genius"

infallible logic

Old
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
However, I do disagree with your last point. I don't think the success is a mirage, I think it gives insight as to what this team is capable of. Sure, with Datsyuk and Z getting older, the window to win with them are closing, but I'm seeing a lot from our defense, much more than I thought we would. I think that within the next 2-3 years we're going to see the Wings get back to the top of the league.
I think that obviously some players have shown promise beyond what was expected, whereas others are lagging behind expectations.

But I think the key is that Datsyuk and Zetterberg are what turn this team from a truly "meh" team to a team that on a good day can beat anyone. But their window is closing quite fast IMO and it might already be too late to plan on a Cup run with them as the centerpieces. And we don't have players in the org who can replace them, there isn't anyone likely to be available any time soon on the market to replace them either. Franzen is basically a bit player as well if he isn't supported by elite players of that stature.

And if you look at the guys on the team who we can say are still developing, none of them will be at that level any time soon and there's no promise any of them ever will be. And to some extent that's what I mean with mirage, too. Chicago has played us really open which really helped our young guys, a guy like Nyquist will shine if they let him skate into the zone with speed..against a trapping team (such as LA) he would probably look much worse.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:05 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

No on Babcock.

Holland should absolutely lose his job. He is incompetent and lazy.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:07 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Holland should be fired because he hasn't done anything to improve the team in several years and our performance has slipped dramatically in that time

look at what's said above "we beat the second seed with this roster!"... that says it all about Ken's performance since 2009.
He can't just snap his fingers and things will happen. There are other GM's minds and players minds involved.

I'm not completely satisfied with the job he has done, but he has tried.

05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
Damn. This thread. I would have loved to have moved Holland up in the organization and promote Nill. WELP. Now that's not going to happen.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Holland needs to go

Old
05-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Yzerberg

It's not happening. Babcock might be the best coach in the NHL.

Personally I think Holland is overrated but you could do a helluva lot worse. With all the success there's no way he goes anywhere unless he wants to.

Closed Thread