HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Cup of Hockey Returning in 2016.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
If Sweden is "certainly up there" in terms of nationalism, what does that make USA and Canada?

Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/02/wor...01patriot.html
The NORC examines two factors: how proud respondents said they were to live in their respective countries, and whether they considered their own countries superior or inferior relative to other countries.
Most "Patriotic":
10. Israel
9. The Philippines
8. New Zealand
7. Chile
6. Canada
5. Austria
4. South Africa
3. Australia
2. Venezuela
1. United States

Least "Patriotic
10. Czech Republic
9. Switzerland
8. France
7. Taiwan
6. (Former West) Germany
5. Slovakia
4. Poland
3. Sweden
2. Latvia
1. (Former East) Germany
I wouldn't considered Canadians very nationalistic. They are much more provincially motivated and generally struggle to figure out how they fit together as one country. If anybody wants to disagree with me, it's not my words, but the academic literature on the subject.

The US is a different story. Americans and Russians could go head to head in terms of delusions of grandeur.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I wouldn't considered Canadians very nationalistic. They are much more provincially motivated and generally struggle to figure out how they fit together as one country. If anybody wants to disagree with me, it's not my words, but the academic literature on the subject.

The US is a different story. Americans and Russians could go head to head in terms of delusions of grandeur.
I dont know how it is in Canada, but i guess it could be a little bit as in Sweden where we would probably be the least nationalistic country in the world if only measuring how proud we are to live here. We do consider us pretty solid in terms of infrastructure, but probably would not take 100 percent pride in that either. The problem is that there is no "we" in this country.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I dont know how it is in Canada, but i guess it could be a little bit as in Sweden where we would probably be the least nationalistic country in the world if only measuring how proud we are to live here. We do consider us pretty solid in terms of infrastructure, but probably would not take 100 percent pride in that either. The problem is that there is no "we" in this country.
If you asked Canadians how happy they were to live in Canada, you'd probably get top quality score. In terms of any objective measurement, Canada is top of the class in terms of a country to live in. Nationalism is more about a unifying delusion that one's country and fellow citizens are somehow superior to the rest of the world.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
If you asked Canadians how happy they were to live in Canada, you'd probably get top quality score. In terms of any objective measurement, Canada is top of the class in terms of a country to live in. Nationalism is more about a unifying delusion that one's country and fellow citizens are somehow superior to the rest of the world.
[mod] it's possible for every single country and people to be proud of themselves without beliving that they are superior to others. In some cases when some others objectively are worse in some way this is not becouse of the observer being nationalistic or not. Generally speaking swedish people are more narcisistic than others, which is objectively bad in my mind.

Last edited by stv11: 09-18-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: removed political statement
Old
09-18-2013, 03:08 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
No we? And how come Swedes abroad always cling together and shop at IKEA?

That said many Swedes are Swedes mostly when abroad and (insert regional affiliate) when at home. It looks like this in many other european countries, the local patriotism is strong, and the mistrust of outsiders is bigger the further away they come from geografically or culturally (which of course is spoken quitely of, nobody whats to be called a "sverigedemokrat" or something like that in public...).

Sweden just barely voted themself into the EU and still refuses to get anywere near the EMU project.

There is also a thing called "jante", which is a distrust towards overconfident smirking people. Nothing makes a "jante" driven guy happier when someone confident and successfull fall flat on his/hers/it's face, and gets back to the earth in a bang, in particular if this is about a norwegian or american, or, some city that is bigger and more important than thier home town. But this also have hampering effect on the Swedes own self confidence, doesnt want to lose face by overestimating him/herself and fail, better to be an underdog and suprise positively.

Last edited by stv11: 09-18-2013 at 03:40 AM. Reason: removed political statement
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:57 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
The difference between swedes and norwegians, for example, is slight, however, norwegians actually know why they cellebrate their national day. It wasn't that long ago that they won their independence which is why they actually value and take pride in their nationality.

Last edited by stv11: 09-18-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: removed insult
Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:42 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Please calm down with the politics and stereotypes about people from a specific country, this thread is here to discuss the world cup of hockey.

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:50 PM
xsnyper

Return of the World Cup?

It's very questionable whether or not the NHL will be in Korea for 2018 olympics. I believe Gary Bettman has already mentioned that the league is looking in to bringing back the World Cup of Hockey.

Personally, I think the Canada Cups and World Cups was some of the best hockey ever played. I like how they're played in the late summer so that it doesn't interfere with the NHL schedule.

Would it really be all that bad if they returned to this format and decided to bypass Korea and future games?

xsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnyper View Post
It's very questionable whether or not the NHL will be in Korea for 2018 olympics. I believe Gary Bettman has already mentioned that the league is looking in to bringing back the World Cup of Hockey.

Personally, I think the Canada Cups and World Cups was some of the best hockey ever played. I like how they're played in the late summer so that it doesn't interfere with the NHL schedule.

Would it really be all that bad if they returned to this format and decided to bypass Korea and future games?
I think the NHL very much wants to end its Olympic participation in favor of bringing back the World Cup... I'd prefer to have both.. and I doubt other countries will be too keen to participate in a NHL/NHLPA World Cup if the NHL isn't too keen on continuing their Olympic participation. Why would they?

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I think the NHL very much wants to end its Olympic participation in favor of bringing back the World Cup... I'd prefer to have both.. and I doubt other countries will be too keen to participate in a NHL/NHLPA World Cup if the NHL isn't too keen on continuing their Olympic participation. Why would they?
The World Cup is not an IIHF event though, so what the less fortunate bosses of Swedens federation thinks is less important.
Obviously i would like to see both at the same time as well.

Old
12-05-2013, 07:16 AM
jekoh

Quote:
The World Cup is not an IIHF event though, so what the less fortunate bosses of Swedens federation thinks is less important.
It is less important than the Olympics and will remain less important as long as it is organized by the NHL.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
It is less important than the Olympics and will remain less important as long as it is organized by the NHL.
Of course it would be a mistake of the NHL if they choose to walk on the Olympics. I'm just saying that Rene Fasel has no power over the participation of countries in the World Cup.
To have both would be best, but the level of exposure during the Olympics no matter of what timezone it is played in, cant be competed with. Obviously in North America a World Cup has the chance to garner some attention though, so i dont think it's a terrible thing really.

Old
12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
True Hockey Fan

I don't really understand why would somebody not like the World Cup. Like seriously. 95 % of the players playing the tournament play in the NHL. So by logic, the tournament being played in the US and Canada, on NHL ice, with NHL refferes, nothing's wrong with that.

Last edited by True Hockey Fan: 12-05-2013 at 09:16 AM.
True Hockey Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm in the minority, but I think they need to have both. It's a compromise between the Europeans and North Americans that makes both of them money, but also because you can't have top level international hockey only once every four years.

Old
12-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Of course it would be a mistake of the NHL if they choose to walk on the Olympics. I'm just saying that Rene Fasel has no power over the participation of countries in the World Cup.
To have both would be best, but the level of exposure during the Olympics no matter of what timezone it is played in, cant be competed with. Obviously in North America a World Cup has the chance to garner some attention though, so i dont think it's a terrible thing really.
I like that the World Cup is spread across both continents for fans from every country to enjoy.

I believe there is a lot of potential to expand this tournament to include more countries across Europe and even Asia in qualifying tournaments in some ways how the World Baseball Classic has done.

Old
12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
From the BoH thread about the cap going up:

Quote:
Many NHL GMs anticipate the big bump will come in 2015, when the cap could go to $75-million or higher, because of the Canadian TV deal and a few other irons the NHL has in the fire, particularly relating to opportunities in Europe. If they can get an agreement for a World Cup of hockey in place, which likely won’t be played until 2016, the cap could approach $80-million.
So despite earlier reports that it would take place in 2015, it 's now 2016. Considering the Rio Olympics are close to the only possible window, it would face getting buried in sports media just about everywhere.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:12 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I love the World Cup. I would prefer it to be the Canada Cup and go back to the half-leaf trophy instead of that so-called artistic abomination that they gave out last time.

Some of the best hockey ever played was played at these tourneys. If you are not a fan, it is probably because your team didn't win.

As for it not being fair using only NA refs, that is because NA refs are a hundred times better than anywhere else. They will call the game with some integrity.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Canadians only get ridiculously nationalistic when it comes to hockey. Me included.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:30 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
From the BoH thread about the cap going up:

So despite earlier reports that it would take place in 2015, it 's now 2016. Considering the Rio Olympics are close to the only possible window, it would face getting buried in sports media just about everywhere.
Wasn't that the plan in the first place? I thought they were hoping for a major tournament every two years and the World Championships in off years.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:35 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I love the World Cup. I would prefer it to be the Canada Cup and go back to the half-leaf trophy instead of that so-called artistic abomination that they gave out last time.

Some of the best hockey ever played was played at these tourneys. If you are not a fan, it is probably because your team didn't win.

As for it not being fair using only NA refs, that is because NA refs are a hundred times better than anywhere else. They will call the game with some integrity.
So basically... if you don't like it you can giiiiiiiiiiiiiit out.

Old
12-11-2013, 03:39 AM
Slimmy

Quote:

I don't want the money grabbing NHL to have control of international competitions for several reasons and the majority of them are not related to my teams chances of success. With that being said; playing the tourney in NA on smaller ice and with NHL refs is a major advantage for NA teams.
And your second remark is just laughable.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:54 AM
kp61c

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
I don't want the money grabbing NHL to have control of international competitions for several reasons and the majority of them are not related to my teams chances of success. With that being said; playing the tourney in NA on smaller ice and with NHL refs is a major advantage for NA teams.
And your second remark is just laughable.
the voice of reason.
reanimating this corpse is detrimental to the european hockey. if not participating in this travesty means no nhl players in olympics, so be it

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:08 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Wasn't that the plan in the first place? I thought they were hoping for a major tournament every two years and the World Championships in off years.
The last news bit about this said they were trying to avoid closeness with the Rio Olympics and arrange it in 2015 but as many here doubted, it won't happen.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Mr Writer

I'm for the return of the World Cup + Olympics, but if that all goes **** up, I'll be ecstatic with a 1 every 4 years clash with our cousins to the south. A best of 7 series with the Yanks would be the bees knees! And Tom is your uncle.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Bagge

Quote:
Canadians only get ridiculously nationalistic when it comes to hockey. Me included.
You forget about curling.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote