HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens vs. Isles Game 6

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 07:41 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Pens vs. Isles Game 6

Elimination game.... have to find a way to come out strong and get good goaltending again. If not - it will be a Game 7.

What sey you?

Old
05-10-2013, 07:48 PM
STLPensFan

At the risk of encouraging trolling NYI/main board people, I'm going to say I like our chances.

Islanders have last change, but they are missing a top defenseman and possibly their second center. Nabokov back in net.

Best is the quote from Moulson: "“I don't think it was any major adjustments from them."

If they're going to under-estimate what was different with the Pens last game, be missing players, and putting Nabbie back in net, I like our chances.

Source: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2SvoB9TKQ

Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
GDT up between 1pm-3pm EST tomorrow.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:51 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

They aren't starting Poulin?

L-O-L

Old
05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

With a stable TV in net I like our chances.

I wish I was good with photoshop so I could have a picture of a TV in a hockey net here...

4-2 because the Isles will play desperate.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

If we lose Game 7 will **** up my Sunday night TV viewing, so we better win.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

I don't see Nabokov out-dueling Vokoun. As much attention as Fleury has gotten for being bad, Nabokov has been even worse. I don't think it'll be another shutout but I think we finally see the Pens showing some killer instinct, putting in a few goals and locking things down. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I like our chances. But I'll say this about the Islanders: They've shown the Pens that they don't have to worry about just a goaltending matchup. We can be beaten on 5-on-5 play.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Sivek

When was the last time the Pens finished a team off in an elimination game in their first crack at it? Dropped 3 in a row against Tampa and lost series, 2 in a row vs Montreal and lost series, lost against Ottawa in 2010 before winning next game.

Has it really been since the Game 7 against Detroit? Damn

Old
05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on a 4-2 Pens victory. But I'm not a betting man, so I'll just post it here instead.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I like our chances. But I'll say this about the Islanders: They've shown the Pens that they don't have to worry about just a goaltending matchup. We can be beaten on 5-on-5 play.
True, but Nabby has been a back breaker. At least we had Vokoun to turn to, they can't say the same. I'm also encouraged by how they looked last night. Unless DB starts ****ing with the lines again I think they may have solved their 5 on 5 issues.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:11 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I don't see Nabokov out-dueling Vokoun. As much attention as Fleury has gotten for being bad, Nabokov has been even worse. I don't think it'll be another shutout but I think we finally see the Pens showing some killer instinct, putting in a few goals and locking things down. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Nabokov has been extraordinarily bad. I thought for sure they'd give Poulin a shot. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean... at least Fleury shut them out in the first game, I guess... as bad as he's been. The Penguins have averaged what... almost 4 goals a game against Nabby? Maybe they are betting that he'll bounce back with all the chips down, or something.

All that said... the Islanders are far from done. The Penguins absolutely can't let up in this game and have to play an even tighter game than they did yesterday if they want to avoid a game 7.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Al Smith

Nielsen would be a big loss for them. He generally seems to play pretty well against the Pens. I'm not sold on TV so much. He was solid, but still a little shaky in the first, then "only" saw 17 for the rest of the game. Still, it was nice to see a goalie who didn't look like it was his first time on skates. If he (and the rest) can hold the Isles to 3, Pens should win.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Nabokov has been extraordinarily bad. I thought for sure they'd give Poulin a shot. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean... at least Fleury shut them out in the first game, I guess... as bad as he's been. The Penguins have averaged what... almost 4 goals a game against Nabby? Maybe they are betting that he'll bounce back with all the chips down, or something.

All that said... the Islanders are far from done. The Penguins absolutely can't let up in this game and have to play an even tighter game than they did yesterday if they want to avoid a game 7.
His GAA for this series is 4.69. Compare that to MAF's, as bad as he looked, at 3.40. Pretty turrble. But yeah, 5 games and 20 goals against.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Yikes.

Those are, like... Marc-Andre Fleury circa 2012 playoffs type numbers.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLPensFan View Post
At the risk of encouraging trolling NYI/main board people, I'm going to say I like our chances.

Islanders have last change, but they are missing a top defenseman and possibly their second center. Nabokov back in net.

Best is the quote from Moulson: "“I don't think it was any major adjustments from them."

If they're going to under-estimate what was different with the Pens last game, be missing players, and putting Nabbie back in net, I like our chances.

Source: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2SvoB9TKQ
The Pens didn't make any system adjustments... They made better decisions with the puck, better reads on the breakouts, and kept to their assignments much better. They also kept their foot on the gas until the final horn... That was huge.

The.
System.
Is.
Sound.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
CrozJawz*

I really expect the Isles to goon it up a bit tomorrow. They will be desperate and looking for ways to get the Pens off their game. They will take a page from the Flyers and I look for them to go after Malkin, Crosby, Neal, and Letang, early and often and try and goat them or somebody coming to their aid into a dumb penalty. They will be relentless all night long and will keep driving the Pens back and back, over and over again.

The Pens will need to match their intensity and drive and drive the nail in the coffin.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:57 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

We have to play our game and stay away from the shenanigans that they're going to try and drag us into You could see the writing on the wall towards the end of Game 5.

Let them be stupid. Score on the PP changes they give us and end this

Old
05-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Get up 2/3-0 and they'll cave again.

Islanders have given it a fair go at it, and they've done well for their first showing in years. Many props to them.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I'm not gonna say the Pens are about to get dominated, but 5-0 Islanders.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:06 PM
plaidchuck

Just like game 5 they know what they need to do to win or at least have the best chance.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
The Pens didn't make any system adjustments... They made better decisions with the puck, better reads on the breakouts, and kept to their assignments much better. They also kept their foot on the gas until the final horn... That was huge.

The.
System.
Is.
Sound.
This isn't true imo. I noticed our center coming low on break outs a lot to give a safe outlet so that the stretch pass wasn't the defense's only option. That was not something I saw much of in games 1-4.

Not a major system adjustment but a tweak that helped us not rely solely on the stretch pass.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
CrozJawz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Just like game 5 they know what they need to do to win or at least have the best chance.
Well, they knew that after game 1 and then look what happened...

Old
05-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Pancakes

Getting an early goal or two would be huge. When the Isles have to get out of their trap they look very vulnerable. When they get the lead they just suffocate us in the neutral zone and transition on us with turnovers.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
leafspensfan

Early lead is a must tomorrow

Closed Thread