HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q sending message to Stalberg/Saad

Old
05-14-2013, 05:21 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Half a point per game players who play on the third line and don't receive a whole lot of power play are definitely "elite third liners". That's pretty darn rare. That's the kind of depth we had the year we won the Cup.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Kane
This wasn't a serious post, was it? Patrick Kane makes among the best decisions on the Hawks. Yeah, he forces things, but Patrick Kane makes the right or a good play 95% of the time.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Half a point per game players who play on the third line and don't receive a whole lot of power play are definitely "elite third liners". That's pretty darn rare. That's the kind of depth we had the year we won the Cup.
Stalberg was 6th among forwards in PP TOI per game and averaged 2:11 per game in the regular season. Not saying Stalberg hasn't been a good depth scorer this year, he has, but he got more than his share of PP TOI.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I wouldn't lose sleep over Stalberg not dressing in Game 1 and playing Smith against the Wings.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This wasn't a serious post, was it? Patrick Kane makes among the best decisions on the Hawks. Yeah, he forces things, but Patrick Kane makes the right or a good play 95% of the time.
Question wasn't percentage of decision, it was amount of bad ones and Kane makes a ton of them.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Stalberg's speed would be more noticeable against the Wings, but his mistakes would be more glaring and more costly as well. It's a double-edged sword with Stalberg. You hope the good outweighs the bad, but the bad's still there and it can rear it's ugly head at the worst moments.

I'm not trying to say he's terrible or anything, but of all Chicago's top-9 forwards, can you think of one that turns the puck over - or makes as many bad decisions with the puck - as Stalberg? And when he's not scoring, that's all you really notice. Yes, he can still be effective on the forecheck. Yes, he's been more physical this year. But the poor decisions still need to be cut down on. Whether it's trying to do too much, or trying to carry the puck through 2-3 guys instead of chipping it in, or putting the puck in bad spots in the defensive zone.. Stalberg simply needs to be better and smarter, especially in a depth role, that Detroit will most certainly look to exploit.
Mistakes you say. I counted one in the Wild series. I may be giving you too much credit, but I don’t think you or BWC or Bubba, Ike, if he was here (the usual band wagon bashers) are stupid enough to not recognize that Stalberg’s speed should be a big asset against a sluggish Wing team. More importantly, I don’t think Q is either… knock on wood. And please don’t return to the days when some took every opportunity to blame Stalberg for the team’s woes. Be more concerned that 20+ minute players like Toews, who hasn’t scored a goal, Kane after a decent start is stuck at 5 assists, and Seabrook has not been in very good form for a while, and yes Saad .. etc…. to name a few of the real worries any Hawk fan should have of this team.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:14 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I like the idea of playing Smith a lot. A benefit of the expanded rosters, Q gets to see everyone day in, day out.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:30 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Question wasn't percentage of decision, it was amount of bad ones and Kane makes a ton of them.
Even with that, Stalberg makes more bad decisions per game than Kane. I honestly can't believe anyone would suggest otherwise.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Mistakes you say. I counted one in the Wild series. I may be giving you too much credit, but I donít think you or BWC or Bubba, Ike, if he was here (the usual band wagon bashers) are stupid enough to not recognize that Stalbergís speed should be a big asset against a sluggish Wing team. More importantly, I donít think Q is eitherÖ knock on wood. And please donít return to the days when some took every opportunity to blame Stalberg for the teamís woes. Be more concerned that 20+ minute players like Toews, who hasnít scored a goal, Kane after a decent start is stuck at 5 assists, and Seabrook has not been in very good form for a while, and yes Saad .. etcÖ. to name a few of the real worries any Hawk fan should have of this team.
Hey, that hurt Bobby. That's just not nice. Why you gotta be so mean? I know those weren't your true colours, shining through. Those weren't your true colours, which is why I won't report you.. but don't be afraid, to let them shine through.. you're true colours. True colours.

Gotta laugh at being more concerned with Toews and Kane, than Stalberg. Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are PpG players in the playoffs. No one should be worried about them. They're all-world players and proven post-season players. They'll get their goals and they'll get their points.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hey, that hurt Bobby. That's just not nice. Why you gotta be so mean? I know those weren't your true colours, shining through. Those weren't your true colours, which is why I won't report you.. but don't be afraid, to let them shine through.. you're true colours. True colours.

Gotta laugh at being more concerned with Toews and Kane, than Stalberg. Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are PpG players in the playoffs. No one should be worried about them. They're all-world players and proven post-season players. They'll get their goals and they'll get their points.
I hope so. The Wings generally bring out the best in Hawks - let's hope that trend continues, but yes, I'm concerned about the way this team played in round 1.... and not just a little concerned. Other than Crawford, Bickell and perhaps Sharp and Hossa, they all need to be better, particularly in their intensity.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:21 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I really like Smith. Before the playoffs started I was an advocate for him or Morin to play over Carcillo or Bollig.

Over Stalberg? Please.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:43 PM
topnotch

Quote:

I'm more concerned with Toews and Kane than I am Stalberg. That's because if Stalberg has a bad series/playoffs the Hawks can easily recover but if Toews or Kane have a bad series/playoffs then the Hawks can be eliminated. The Hawks will go as far as their star players allow them to.

I will say that I don't like Q breaking up the 3rd line that has built chemistry all season long just because Stalberg disappointed in the 1st round. I truly hope this was just a wake-up call during practice.

Stalberg is better than Carcillo, Bollig, Mayers, Smith or any other player. He also has chemistry with Bickell and Shaw.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Mistakes you say. I counted one in the Wild series. I may be giving you too much credit, but I donít think you or BWC or Bubba, Ike, if he was here (the usual band wagon bashers) are stupid enough to not recognize that Stalbergís speed should be a big asset against a sluggish Wing team.
My ears are burning...

I thought he was fine all year, actually. I like him much better on the right wing than on the left wing and his role on what is really the Hawks fourth line in terms of role (not so much in ice time) is perfect, energy, cycling, and pressure. He learned to not shoot the puck as soon as he got it all the time this season and was much more effective because of it.

That said, that was the regular season. IMO, some of the bad habits (especially the getting rid of the puck too quickly and a reversion to skating around lost in the back end) kind of reappeared in the playoffs, but not really to a serious extent. The line basically did what it was supposed to, and when Bickell went beast it did more than it was supposed to. It didn't really surprise, but it didn't let the Hawks down either and overall I thought it was the most consistent of them all; albeit I did miss the Hawks loss.

I doubt he gets benched for the start of the Wings series and not after it either unless he makes some serious mistakes. His play wasn't that bad. I think Quenneville is just trying to encourage him and Saad to relax a little bit and play like they did in the regular season rather than getting all nervous and panicky. I'd be more concerned about Saad's response; Stalberg's line generally gets protected minutes (ie, not against Datsyuk), Saad's does not.

I resent the bandwagon comment, I always believed what I believed regardless of who else believed it.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
How is it absurd ,, Simple reality

Stalberg has been amongst the worst Hawks over last 3 1st rounds
Your posts are not even close to reality. A lot of guys had up and down games. It's like you see a bad few plays and classify a guy's entire series on it.

Until the white shirt thing, I'm pretty sure you didn't have a single complaint about Stalberg in the series.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:32 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

I would have no problem benching Stalberg....if we had someone equal or better to replace him....which Carcillo and Bollig are not...so this makes no sense.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:46 PM
digdug41982

Smith is, maybe not long term for Vik, but I like getting him into this, great touch, all around player, won't hurt us at all.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 AM
kuzy

I know that there is a lot of playoff hockey left (fingers crossed) but this will affect stalbergs new contract price, no?

kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:32 AM
ndgt10

Love the move by Q. Don't forget he won this team a cup.

ndgt10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:39 AM
zac

Quote:
That percentage is flagrantly high. Toews for example is much better at making decisions and I wouldn't even venture his is even that high. Or anyone in the entire NHL for that matter.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:46 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Toews? Seriously? You are comparing the berg...to Toews?????
GIANT

Ughhh...he's not comparing Stalberg's talents or importance to Toews or even Saad for that matter. He's simply illustrating the randomness of Q's ridiculous actions. By comparison Toews played FAR worse than Stalberg did. Shaw played far worse than Stalberg did (his game 3 was the worst non-Seabrook effort of the series). Seabrook was an utter embarrassment. Why the hell do you randomly single out 2 players that didn't even play that bad?

Look, nobody's suggesting sitting Toews, but I think Q would have accomplished a hell of a lot more by calling him out versus this lame-brain stunt. Why stop there? I'd challenge the entire team as most everyone outside of Crawford and Sharp was mediocre for most of the series. Singling out these two (undeserving) players, let alone threatening them with demotions and/or scratches is ****ing retarded. That's the kind of reaction you expect to an effort based problem. The only person I saw consistently lacking effort was Seabrook.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:55 AM
zac

Quote:
Last I checked, what Q's doing is pretty public and I'm sure he's called him out privately.

Stalberg's main contributions to this team are offensively. He's not good defensively and he wasn't noticeable in the Minny series, especially in the last 2-3 games. The only reason people talk about that line playing well was because Bickell scored 3 goals. If he hadn't, everyone would be ragging on them. Stalberg needs to be better. He's not the only player on the team that needs to be, but he's not a young kid, he's 27.

By the sounds of it, Stalberg isn't taking this particularly well - which is unfortunate, because he hasn't even been scratched yet. If he can't handle what Q's "doing" to him now, then I don't know what to say. He wasn't the only player singled out. Saad was too. Saad managed to get back into the regular lines, so it's not like Q's just picking on Stalberg.
Actually, it's pretty obvious he is.

If I was Viktor I'd be pretty pissed off too. Nobody's saying he was great in the Minny series, he most certainly wasn't. But bad enough to go through this drama? To waste valuable skate time with lines that don't make sense? To overreact to a bad stretch of games? This is the same BS that led to massive inconsisitency the last few seasons. Q needs to understand that players and lines will struggle and its part of the ebbs and flows of hockey. When something has worked, and worked phenomenally well for 48 games you don't throw it away after 5. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:56 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Love the move by Q. Don't forget he won this team a cup.
I've always felt that team won in spite of him and his moves. Too much talent for even him to f it up.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

One thing I don't like with Stalberg are his turnovers and the Wings are a team that take advantage of it. That's why he may get the message

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:06 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Actually, it's pretty obvious he is.

If I was Viktor I'd be pretty pissed off too. Nobody's saying he was great in the Minny series, he most certainly wasn't. But bad enough to go through this drama? To waste valuable skate time with lines that don't make sense? To overreact to a bad stretch of games? This is the same BS that led to massive inconsisitency the last few seasons. Q needs to understand that players and lines will struggle and its part of the ebbs and flows of hockey. When something has worked, and worked phenomenally well for 48 games you don't throw it away after 5. Makes no sense whatsoever.
I agree with you.

I also think no way that Stalberg re-signs with Chicago, even if they could pay him what he wanted.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:21 AM
ndgt10

Has Stalberg expressed dislike at playing in Chicago?

ndgt10 is online now   Reply With Quote