HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q sending message to Stalberg/Saad

Old
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
I honestly can't believe how overrated Stalberg's speed is becoming. Dear lord.

He has elite speed, good size, average hands, average finishing ability, a touch below-average hockey sense and he's below-average defensively.

He'll be easily replaced, and more than likely improved upon, either from within or on the market. Stalberg's not as one-dimensional as he was when he first got to Chicago, but he's 27 and he's hardly put it all together at this point.

He could go on to score 30 goals on another team, but that doesn't matter to the Hawks. They're not looking to replace what Stalberg could be with this or that, they're looking to replace what he is, which on this team is a top-9 forward, who doesn't contribute to either specialty unit and scores 15-20 goals a year.

There are other ways to score goals and be effective in this league outside of blazing speed down the wing.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Marotte Marauder

So guys with 15-20, maybe 20-25 goals, all even strength with 3rd line minutes while being a plus player are just everywhere?

C'mon.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
I just find it insane that *anyone* would go to the coach and want an explanation of why you're not on the PP unit going into the second round of the playoffs. Is he going for the worst timing of the year award?

He's not being benched for bad play or anything of the sort, he's being benched because from Q's perspective he complained about ice time. Considering we're at round two of the playoffs, that is off the scale bizarre timing. What was he thinking?

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
So guys with 15-20, maybe 20-25 goals, all even strength with 3rd line minutes while being a plus player are just everywhere?

C'mon.
When has Stalberg ever scored 20 goals playing 3rd line minutes? His only 20-goal season came playing almost entirely in the top-6.

This season, actually playing 3rd line minutes (with 2:11 of PP time per game), he scored 9 goals in 47 games. That's a 15-goal pace. Yes, that is very, very replaceable.

His speed is not. But again, people are acting like that's the only way you can be an effective third-liner. It's not.

Jeremy Morin can come in next year and score 15-20 goals, getting third line minutes, and 2 minutes of PP time per game. He'll also bring a grittier game and a better (arguably marginally) defensive game.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
I just find it insane that *anyone* would go to the coach and want an explanation of why you're not on the PP unit going into the second round of the playoffs. Is he going for the worst timing of the year award?

He's not being benched for bad play or anything of the sort, he's being benched because from Q's perspective he complained about ice time. Considering we're at round two of the playoffs, that is off the scale bizarre timing. What was he thinking?
Innuendo or do folks have a source? Have we heard officially that VS will not be in the line-up? I'm going to hold my rant until I get something official. I'll just say that I agree with MM on all he has said in his posts on this thread. Mismanaged from day one, and no player to replace him in the current line-up or in the Hawk's system.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Innuendo or do folks have a source? Have we heard officially that VS will not be in the line-up? I'm going to hold my rant until I get something official. I'll just say that I agree with MM on all he has said in his posts on this thread. Mismanaged from day one, and no player to replace him in the current line-up or in the Hawk's system.
Q officially said, Stalberg was officially not playing, at his official press-conference this moring. Only official members of the media could attend - but that's just a rumor, it's not official.

Viktor Stalberg is very replaceable.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Everyone is basing everything off of this set of tweets and an article linked somewhere in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 15m
#Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said winger Viktor Stalberg will not play in Game 1 vs. #RedWings: "Coach's decision."

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 6m
Told by source that Viktor Stalberg is sitting Game 1 for #Blackhawks vs. #RedWings not because of poor play or injury.

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 2m
Source said #Blackhawks winger Viktor Stalberg questioned his role--or lack of it--in certain situations.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:45 PM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

And is this ChrisKuc reliable?

If true Q is selfish to put his personal vendetta before the team. It could cost him his job in the big picture.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Hawkaholic

Not playing a useless Stalberg (lately) is NOT going to cost one of the best coaches in history, his job

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:53 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Yes, it's official he's out. Here's Q's interview this morning. The first question he was asked was about Stalberg (and then he answered another question about Stalberg at about 1:00):

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/vide...id=DL|CHI|home

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Marina

Quote:

If true Q is selfish to put his personal vendetta before the team. It could cost him his job in the big picture.
Why would it cost him his job? It's not like he's benching Toews for calling him a fatty at practice or something.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Bickell? Most would actually call his development disappointing given the size and tools that he has.
So a second round pick that never scored much at any level becoming a solid 3rd liner on the best team in the NHL is a disappointment?

Quote:
Frolik? He's regressed from a 20 goal scorer to a 4th line PKer, great that he has found a role but that doesn't look like development to me.
Frolik was a soft offensive player who had lost his scoring touch, and has been transformed into a solid grinder who gives everything he has every shift and is one of the best PKer in the league. While that may not be development, it certainly was a good job by the coaching staff to completely transform his game. Not that you would acknowledge that.

Quote:
Kruger? He has gotten stronger and finally plugged into a role that suits his skill set. He's marginally improved at the dot and still has no offensive game to speak of.
How many 22 year old europeans in their 2nd season of North American hockey are trusted to play the kind of role Kruger is?

Quote:
Saad? He came in ready, was overplayed by Q and may now be hitting the wall.
Saad improved as the season wore on. He has taken a step back in the playoffs but that is to be expected for a rookie in his first real taste of playoff action.

Funny that you refuse to acknowledge Shaw, who has exceded everyone's expectations (remember how many of us were questioning Q for having him centre the 3rd line), or our two young super stars who seem to be developing pretty well under this coaching staff.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Fire this man

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Everyone is basing everything off of this set of tweets and an article linked somewhere in this thread.
Yeah, well if true Saad better play like a mother****er tonight.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:01 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

I guess so. He's a beat writer, so you'd hope so.

Scratching Stalberg won't cost Q his job. Having or not having Stalberg in this series won't make or break the Hawks.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
unbridledid

Quote:

Replace Q with Stalberg and you might be on to something.

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:16 PM
ColdSteel2

Lol, just heard it, Berg ****ed up big time, get Smith in, or Morin, ASAP.

ColdSteel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:27 PM
wsoxfan1214

This is idiotic at best by Q.

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:29 PM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

No matter how you shake it, he's being selfish. No better than a player taking a penalty 200 feet from his net with the game on the line. We lose tonight, he needs to look at himself in the mirror and slap himself silly until he grows up.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Certainly we have players who can PLAY on the 3-4 line, but they will be a definite downgrade.

Not all (or even many) teams have impact 3rd lines.
In the regular season, ya, a downgrade. By his postseason play, quite a few could be on par with what he has done for this team.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
No matter how you shake it, he's being selfish. No better than a player taking a penalty 200 feet from his net with the game on the line. We lose tonight, he needs to look at himself in the mirror and slap himself silly until he grows up.
Q's being selfish? Q needs to grow up? The heavy speculation is that Stalberg complained about his lack of PP time, in the post-season and after the team went 4-1 to advance to the 2nd round. Which one of the two needs to grow up? Which one of the two is selfish?

Give your head shake.

Viktor Stalberg doesn't make or break the Hawks. Him sitting out won't cost he Hawks the game, much less the series. I'm far from a Q fan, it's well documented on this site, but he's clearly not in the wrong - based the speculation that's out in public right now. Whether it's right or wrong is another story, but that's what's out there, and given that, it's clear who needs to look themselves in the mirror and slap themselves silly. Very clear.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
ColdSteel2

Quote:
I'll be right there with you if Stalberg, Smith or Morin aren't in next game. I think Smith/Morin bring more of the edge we could use in this series, and I really would like to see Smith get another chance, the organization may discount him but I don't, think he could help a lot.

ColdSteel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Q's being selfish? Q needs to grow up? The heavy speculation is that Stalberg complained about his lack of PP time, in the post-season and after the team went 4-1 to advance to the 2nd round. Which one of the two needs to grow up? Which one of the two is selfish?

Give your head shake.

Viktor Stalberg doesn't make or break the Hawks. Him sitting out won't cost he Hawks the game, much less the series. I'm far from a Q fan, it's well documented on this site, but he's clearly not in the wrong - based the speculation that's out in public right now. Whether it's right or wrong is another story, but that's what's out there, and given that, it's clear who needs to look themselves in the mirror and slap themselves silly. Very clear.
Yeah ... so tell me. What does it accomplish, besides cater to his own ego? I'll answer that ... nothing. He's just being an arse hole.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:45 PM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
Tim Sassone @TimSassone
Stalberg not even in warmup while other scratches are.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:45 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Yeah ... so tell me. What does it accomplish, besides cater to his own ego? I'll answer that ... nothing. He's just being an arse hole.
Clearly, it sends a message to Stalberg and the rest of the team: You're not entitled to anything. Anything you did in the past doesn't matter. Players that buy into their roles and want to do whatever it takes to make this team successful will play over guys crying because they're not getting PP time, especially those players in depth roles.

I mean seriously, complaining about a lack of PP time, in the playoffs, heading into round 2, when you contributed 2 assists to it all season? Really? Like I said earlier, be happy your on a winning team, with a chance to win a Cup and on a line that's been successful. Clearly, that's not enough for Stalberg.

Again, Bobby. Viktor Stalberg does not make or break the Blackhawks. Q's not scratching Kane, or Sharp, or Toews or Hossa. He's scratching Viktor Stalberg. Give me a freaking break.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:51 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

I think some of you are exaggerating a bit. If we lose tonight because Stalberg isn't playing, the team has very big problems.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote