HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q sending message to Stalberg/Saad

Old
05-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Still don't see why Stalberg shouldn't play over Carcillo, but meh.
In terms of skill or effectiveness, he certainly should.

But this is clearly not about skill. Stalberg said something very very wrong in that little interview with Quenneville. Not even dressed for warmup? There is only one reason for that, and that's to keep a player's current attitude from infecting other people. We don't know what happened in that meeting, but the outcome was that for this game Quenneville did not want Stalberg anywhere near the team.

I honestly can't remember the last time this sort of thing was causing a problem for the Hawks. Ruuttu maybe? Or Bourque? It's been a while.

Gotta think this message was received loud and clear.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

vCash: 500
So is it safe to say we won't be resigning him?

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
HawkeyFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Although Handzus can't keep up, pretty clear this is the 3rd line.

Still don't see why Stalberg shouldn't play over Carcillo, but meh.
Perhaps he didnt want to and here in lies the problem

Maybe he got in a fight with Q after Q wanted to bring him down to the 4th line?

Obviously its all speculation, but it could be that

HawkeyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bobby, how did you feel about Krüger being on the ice and Stalberg not? Just 2 days ago you told "even the biggest fanboys" that his spot was "in doubt".

Now after he wasn't dressed, two guys that you wouldn't have dressed scored a crucial 3rd goal (I don't care why they scored or how it happened, in the end it is a goal)

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Taze em

That game couldn't have gone worse for Stalberg haha. Win 4-1 without you, score a PP goal, Carcillo got a point.

Eat your humble pie and get back out there and prove it.

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Marotte Marauder

3rd line continued to play against 3-4 Detroit so no big test there. 4 shots on goal for the line, zero points and 3 penatlies.

Had Stalberg flubbed the Bolly breakaway, oh boy.

The PP again was anemic with the goal coming off a sloppy Detroit turnover which had little to do with PP.

The game was in doubt big time for 50 minutes.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:55 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
3rd line continued to play against 3-4 Detroit so no big test there. 4 shots on goal for the line, zero points and 3 penatlies.

The PP again was anemic with the goal coming off a sloppy Detroit turnover which had little to do with PP.

The Hawks controlled the play for the most part after the first period. When you do that going into the second tied 1-1 you win more often than not.

They won without Stalberg, which shouldn't be shocking as it is just Stalberg.

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Chelios

Quote:

Flubbed? Howard made an excellent save on him. As usual, MM refusing to admit he was wrong about anything and just trying to spin it as best he can in his favour.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Flubbed? Howard made an excellent save on him. As usual, MM refusing to admit he was wrong about anything and just trying to spin it as best he can in his favour.
Yup flubbed! Elevate it 12" and it's a goal. Don't and it is flubbed.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:30 AM
topnotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Based on talent he should be.. but even then, Carcillo had a really solid game tonight. He was physical, he was skating well and his forechecking lead to the Hawks 3rd goal when the puck was on the netting of the net.
I disagree. I thought Carcillo looked lost out there. He was awkward skating around, he only threw one hit (which is really all he is there to do) and he was only on the ice for 9 shifts.

The third goal had nothing to really do about him other than he whacked his stick at the goal net and the Detroit defensemen can't clear a puck.

Also, we have NO idea how Stalberg approached Q about his PP playing time. The guess is that it was less than professional, but we don't know for sure. Q has already sent his message. If he holds Stalberg out for more than this game it's taking this situation personally which he shouldn't do as the coach.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:47 AM
JPE123

Wings fan here coming in peace. Nice effort last night, you guys looked really solid.

Regarding Stalberg. I am surprised about this. I'll be honest with you, he's a guy I am hoping the Wings can sign this year. But now I'm curious, does he have an attitude problem or was this just out of the blue?

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:58 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
Wings fan here coming in peace. Nice effort last night, you guys looked really solid.

Regarding Stalberg. I am surprised about this. I'll be honest with you, he's a guy I am hoping the Wings can sign this year. But now I'm curious, does he have an attitude problem or was this just out of the blue?
This is the first I heard of any problems like this in Chicago...and I never heard anything like this when he was on the Leafs, either. He's never come off as someone with an attitude problem...but of course you never know...I'm not there. It's seemed in the past that Q didn't like him very much - so whether his recent behaviour was sufficiently awful to warrant this current treatment or whether Q is pre-disposed to disliking him so overreacted a bit, who really knows.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

This whole thing to me seems like something that has been building.

Q never seemed to like Stalberg for whatever reason and has seemed to almost hold him back. The guy has a career year last year and this year he is on the third line first game of the year with Carcillo playing in the top 6.

Maybe he just got feed up with being on Q's crap list and wanted to know what was going on.

Not saying that is the case just saying this whole thing seems to have more behind it then this one incident and I have a feeling if Stalberg had been a headcase in the past we would have heard about it before.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
This whole thing to me seems like something that has been building.

Q never seemed to like Stalberg for whatever reason and has seemed to almost hold him back. The guy has a career year last year and this year he is on the third line first game of the year with Carcillo playing in the top 6.

Maybe he just got feed up with being on Q's crap list and wanted to know what was going on.

Not saying that is the case just saying this whole thing seems to have more behind it then this one incident and I have a feeling if Stalberg had been a headcase in the past we would have heard about it before.
agree 100%

Old
05-16-2013, 08:21 AM
digdug41982

Stalberg has been given an incredible amount of ice time over the years. **** him to complain about anything. The whole situation is absolutely bizarre. Just goes to show you don't really know the character of everyone.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Almost every game in this post season (not just Hawk games) have been very close games. Of course it was "in doubt" for 50mins. Detroit is a very good team with a pretty good goalie.

And who cares who the 3rd line is palying against? They looked better then they have this playoffs so far, but I bet that will be hard for you to admit since Bolland replaced Stalberg on that line. (1 guy you hate, for 1 guy you love)

I'll be OK with Stalberg not playing again for the Hawks, he doesn't make much of a difference.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Almost every game in this post season (not just Hawk games) have been very close games. Of course it was "in doubt" for 50mins. Detroit is a very good team with a pretty good goalie.

And who cares who the 3rd line is palying against? They looked better then they have this playoffs so far, but I bet that will be hard for you to admit since Bolland replaced Stalberg on that line. (1 guy you hate, for 1 guy you love)

I'll be OK with Stalberg not playing again for the Hawks, he doesn't make much of a difference.
Are you certified insane or have the test results not come back yet? Amnesia of the 1st round may also be in play.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

You didn't watch the same game I did.

Cut the act, it's tiresome.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:

Are you joking? Part way through the 2nd the Hawks completely took over the game and never stopped.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:52 AM
digdug41982

I guess only in the sense that if Detroit scored, they could have found a way to win but the Hawks absolutely dominated the play and I felt it was only a matter of time before they scored, which they did.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Sevanston

Yeah, I think I understand what MM meant by that.

It's not unheard of for teams to dominate the play and still lose due to a bad bounce and a great goalie. Howard was definitely a great goalie last night, so the only question was if there would be a bad bounce.

Fortunately, there wasn't.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Marotte Marauder

Funny that Eddie O just said the same thing essentially.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Are you joking? Part way through the 2nd the Hawks completely took over the game and never stopped.
“Taking over” involves much more than dominating the play. It’s the scoreboard that counts in this game, and nothing else. Scoring a single goal in 40 minutes of play (and on the PP, to boot) does not constitute the domination a team needs. The shot count looked impressive, but most of the shots were from the perimeter. Wings would have been very happy tied after 40 minutes hence staying in a game on the road. The game was closer than what the stats say. Seabs saved a goal, Wings hit a cross bar. Either or both of those go in and this morning we could be talking about another game that got away. This team has been guilty most of this season of being just good enough on the scoreboard, but despite dominating the play, letting teams stay in games (games they have no business being in). Last night was another example. I’d like to think that we are building up to it but I just don’t see that killer instinct that we will need to go all the way.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
“Taking over” involves much more than dominating the play. It’s the scoreboard that counts in this game, and nothing else. Scoring a single goal in 40 minutes of play (and on the PP, to boot) does not constitute the domination a team needs. The shot count looked impressive, but most of the shots were from the perimeter. Wings would have been very happy tied after 40 minutes hence staying in a game on the road. The game was closer than what the stats say. Seabs saved a goal, Wings hit a cross bar. Either or both of those go in and this morning we could be talking about another game that got away. This team has been guilty most of this season of being just good enough on the scoreboard, but despite dominating the play, letting teams stay in games (games they have no business being in). Last night was another example. I’d like to think that we are building up to it but I just don’t see that killer instinct that we will need to go all the way.
You might be right on your last point. However, as far as last night goes, I was never worried we weren't going to win.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
digdug41982

I guess what gives me the most confidence is the guys that are scoring and the guys that aren't. We're getting the depth scoring, Hossa is on fire, which is unusal for the playoffs, Sharp has always been there and is again. But Toews, Kane and Bolland are always great playoff performers and haven't been scoring goals yet. Very soon, they will.