HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Massive Tornado: Condolences, sympathy goes out to our friends in OKC.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Massive Tornado: Condolences, sympathy goes out to our friends in OKC.

Haven't seen a thread on this and only a few posts on it in the Barons thread.

So I wanted to start one in which we could all express our sympathies, good wishes.

Class 4 Tornado, half a mile wide by reports, 320km winds, on the ground churning for a long time. Sounds like a monster. Worse, I'm sure than the Black Friday Tornado that killed 29 people in Edmonton area in 87.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...653/story.html

What really strikes me though is that in these parts we could consider this kind of event rare. In Oklahoma I imagine you buckle down, wait it out, and keep vigilant and prepared for the next time. I honestly can't fathom what thats like. For anybody that was close to the Black Friday tornado and heard the deadly sonic train coming closeby (3blocks from our house)and not know much about what it was but pray that it passes I wouldn't want to revisit it.

Quote:
Monday's powerful tornado loosely followed the path of a killer twister that slammed Moore in May 1999. That storm produced the highest winds ever recorded near the Earth's surface — 486 km/h.

Kelsey Angle, a weather service meteorologist in Kansas City, Missouri, said it's unusual for two such powerful tornadoes to track roughly the same path.

It was the fourth tornado to hit Moore since 1998. A twister also struck in 2003.
Worst thing we have to contend with here usually is -30C temperatures and bad road conditions.

Anyway I did want to post this, Allow this to be a connection between our communities, fan bases etc, and further to fostering a better understanding of our respective communities.

Again my heart goes out to all of you, best wishes, stay safe and hope for recovery from devastation. Sounds like much of the suburb of Moore was hit hard with massive loss of life, destruction, injuries.

Terrible tragedy.

Peace.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Lewy

Definitely. All the best wishes and positive vibes I can muster.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
anyone here that was around in 87 stills gets that sick feeling when we hear the word tornado

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
I heard the death total has dropped to 24. Something about them counting people twice originally. Either way such a tragic day.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
#ualberta

Yeah, it is really sad, I wasn't here in 87' so I wouldn't know but these kind of things are just tragic
OKC or not it is a tragedy hopefully they get through it alright

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:35 AM
frag2

I watched a live feed of the OKC Tornado on the web at work with closed captioning and, barring poor captions, the news lady told the camera man to watch where he's filming and how he's panning as there was a woman apparently impaled

The camera immediately swung the camera to another scene

It's crazy down Tornado alley

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
oiler4ever

Sad day in OKC. Best friend of mine lost his house. Worst one since 99.

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Nice, thoughtful thread Replacement.

Good luck and well wishes to all in OKC.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
Sad day in OKC. Best friend of mine lost his house. Worst one since 99.
Since 99? This tornado was, as they described 3 times worse as May 3. We are lucky not more lost lives, but the economic losses will be much greater than May 3, which certainly doesn't take priority over human life, though. This was the most prolific, and it's a miracle it wasn't as deadly. That's a testament to the meteorologist who gave advanced notices in the days before.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
Since 99? This tornado was, as they described 3 times worse as May 3. We are lucky not more lost lives, but the economic losses will be much greater than May 3, which certainly doesn't take priority over human life, though. This was the most prolific, and it's a miracle it wasn't as deadly. That's a testament to the meteorologist who gave advanced notices in the days before.
Great job that they got advance notice. Weather conditions were right and the meteorologists from what I've read pretty much nailed it. Because the destruction from all videos I'm seeing was severe. Can't imagine what it looks like in real life. I imagine there was some evacuation, fleeing, heading to safety. going on which saved lives.

In the Edmonton Black Friday tornado they pretty much dropped the ball. Thing was ripping through my Millwoods neighborhood, Sherwood pk freeway, industrial area, by the time the weather advisory was up. Evergreen mobile park didn't stand much of a chance.
Just an unfortunate sidenote as well is that much of Edmonton had been formerly equipped with emergency sirens. afairc a product of the cold war, or even WW2 that would go off to signal warning and take cover. There were even tests of this system when I was a kid. Those sirens were loud and impossible not to hear from anywhere. Sadly in Evergreen all they ever heard was the approaching thunder train.

Anyway back to OKC I can still never understand the people that take long footage videos of an approaching class 4 tornado thats almost on top of them. I don't get it, I'll never get it. Tornadoes don't take a straight path, never do. Not sure why all the chasers figure they are predictable.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Great job that they got advance notice. Weather conditions were right and the meteorologists from what I've read pretty much nailed it. Because the destruction from all videos I'm seeing was severe. Can't imagine what it looks like in real life. I imagine there was some evacuation, fleeing, heading to safety. going on which saved lives.

In the Edmonton Black Friday tornado they pretty much dropped the ball. Thing was ripping through my Millwoods neighborhood, Sherwood pk freeway, industrial area, by the time the weather advisory was up. Evergreen mobile park didn't stand much of a chance.

I can still never understand the people that take long footage videos of an approaching class 4 tornado thats almost on top of them. I don't get it, I'll never get it. Tornadoes don't take a straight path, never do. Not sure why all the chasers figure they are predictable.

Sad thing as well is that the folks in Pine Lake didn't receive a warning that the F3 Tornado was coming.The weather advisory ended up being issued after the Tornado had already destroyed Pine Lake.

Another case of where the Meteorologists dropped the ball in this Province.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Sad thing as well is that the folks in Pine Lake didn't receive a warning that the F3 Tornado was coming.

Another case of where the Meteorologists dropped the ball in this Province.
Yep, I was going to mention that as well. Several casualties and trailers dropped in the middle of pine lake.

Or the sheer wall of wind that destroyed the Camrose BVJ. Unbelievable that the word was not able to get through to the audience as that wall of wind had been felt and recorded and reported as far away as the foothills.

We're on our own here with the weather.

So glad that Oklahoma at least have the requisite meteorological forecasting in place.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Great thread, Replacement.

Thoughts to all involved. Can't even look at any more pictures or video, tough to even process the devastation.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:21 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Hope everyone out there is ok

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Just an unfortunate sidenote as well is that much of Edmonton had been formerly equipped with emergency sirens. afairc a product of the cold war, or even WW2 that would go off to signal warning and take cover. There were even tests of this system when I was a kid. Those sirens were loud and impossible not to hear from anywhere. Sadly in Evergreen all they ever heard was the approaching thunder train.

Anyway back to OKC I can still never understand the people that take long footage videos of an approaching class 4 tornado thats almost on top of them. I don't get it, I'll never get it. Tornadoes don't take a straight path, never do. Not sure why all the chasers figure they are predictable.
The meteorologist were warning us for a two day stretch that conditions are favorable for a significant severe weather day. What made this one so challenging for the meteorologist, and the people of Moore, is that given how quickly it developed the people only had about a 16 minute window to make a decision, and given the fact that school was in session and all were on lock down. Usually they discourage being on the roadways during such a storm and encourage just getting underground or in an interior room, but yesterday was much different. The first thing I heard when I turned on the tv was "Folks, if you're in Moore you either have to get underground or abandon the area. Trying to ride this out overground is not in your best interest, and frankly the odds are not in your favor to survive."

I commend their bravery, but it does seem a little silly to put your life in such risk. They get a little too confident as they have done this many times before, but seems you're pressing your luck when you get this close to an F5 tornado that data has said peaked at 270 MPH winds.

Oklahoma storm chasers actually have 3 cars that are "Tornado safe". They attempt to intercept tornadoes, and actually anchor the car down and take measurements. Here is a video of a weaker tornado the day before in "The Dominator", winds "only" got up to about 155 MPH with this tornado, but this goes to show how prepared Oklahoma is for such storms. http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/reed-timm...olent-tornado/

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote