HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Will NHL get a second National TV contract?

Old
05-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Darlotto99

vCash: 500
Will NHL get a second National TV contract?

Has their been any talk of the NHL getting a TV deal with FOX's new sports channel FOX Sports 1? GB and other NHL were at FOX offices recently. Do you think the NHL can get a second deal or does the NHL contract with NBC prehibit them from getting a second national deal?

Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:45 PM
2mannings1cup

Although their contract with NBC is exclusive, there is a clause that would allow another national provider. I would love to see the NHL on ESPN. ESPN could promote the holy hell out of the NHL.

2mannings1cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
ESPN could promote the holy hell out of the NHL.
They have a track record of doing just that, right?

..... right?

Hey, at least if Fox Sports 1 lands the NHL, we can look forward to a return of the glow puck.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Although their contract with NBC is exclusive, there is a clause that would allow another national provider. I would love to see the NHL on ESPN. ESPN could promote the holy hell out of the NHL.
ahem ... Fox Sports One ... they already play games on Fox Sports Net channels ... might as well go nationally with the new channel ... **** the four letter network

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
What's the clause?

05-06-2013, 12:25 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
NHL on TBS?

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Jetsfan79

Quote:
ESPN spits in the NHL face with their non-existant coverage. I think it's best they stick with NBC.

Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Brodie
King at the Wall

ESPN's last offer was rumored to be a weekly game on ESPN2 and the Stanley Cup playoffs. Why would they do anything without getting the finals as part of the package?

FS1, on the other hand, has a big gap in it's schedule from the end of college football season to the start of baseball season. Adding the NHL maybe one night a week in that stretch shores up it's position as a major threat to ESPN's hegemony. It also allows the NHL to hedge their bets with NBC, who have fallen to a distant third, by getting in bed with the new rising star in cable sports.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:59 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

makes sense, do what the NBA does, have an NBC game of the week, and have a FS1 game(games) of the week. rotate conference finals each year

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:48 AM
CerebralGenesis

Ya that is the one thing I think the NBA does right.

Cycle games on the different stations throughout the week. At the worst, it gets people who watch those stations aware of your product even if they don't watch.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Crease

I don't see ESPN buying broadcast rights unless it includes rights to the Stanley Cup Finals. I could see Fox buying in for the regular season and parts of the playoffs.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:28 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Didn't realize there was a clause in the NBC deal that would allow someone else to come in. Now that I know that, I'd be surprised to NOT see a deal with Fox made.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I don't see ESPN buying broadcast rights unless it includes rights to the Stanley Cup Finals. I could see Fox buying in for the regular season and parts of the playoffs.
It would be awesome during the first couple of rounds to have Conference 1 & 3 on one network & Conference 2 & 4 play offs on the other, wouldn't need over flow channels or anything crazy like that

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:20 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 1172
Quote:

ESPN had their shot, during one of the last hey days of hockey, and basically did nothing for it but relegate it to second tier programming.

Since that time, ESPN has gone into the toilet and has turned into Sports TMZ. They dont even broadcast MLB and NFL games well.

Thanks, but no thanks.

IceAce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
tony d
The man

Yeah, the NHL is fine on NBC. ESPN is the last network the NHL should be on.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
schutney

I imagine FOX will be getting the NHL with the recent hiring of O'Toole and Onrait. Why hire pure hockey guys if you're not going after the NHL, it doesn't make sense.

schutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
I imagine FOX will be getting the NHL with the recent hiring of O'Toole and Onrait. Why hire pure hockey guys if you're not going after the NHL, it doesn't make sense.
They hired them because of their personalities.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...ternative.html

Old
05-06-2013, 11:28 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
They arent pure hockey guys. Pure hockey guys are guys like Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:35 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I doubt the NHL gets a second network partner (e.g. ABC, CBS, or Fox), but they could definitely get some games on FS1 or get a deal with Turner to get games on TBS or TNT. I wouldn't be opposed to either of those. Turner does a phenomenal job with its NBA and NCAA coverage. Fox's national sports coverage tends to be a bit more "low-brow," for lack of a better term, but FS1 could change that entirely: they have to have people who know their stuff if they want to run a full-time sports network.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I doubt the NHL gets a second network partner (e.g. ABC, CBS, or Fox), but they could definitely get some games on FS1 or get a deal with Turner to get games on TBS or TNT. I wouldn't be opposed to either of those. Turner does a phenomenal job with its NBA and NCAA coverage. Fox's national sports coverage tends to be a bit more "low-brow," for lack of a better term, but FS1 could change that entirely: they have to have people who know their stuff if they want to run a full-time sports network.
I'm not sure what you mean by Fox's national sports coverage being more 'low-brow". Their MLB and NFL coverage doesn't seem much different than any other network's.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Yeah, the NHL is fine on NBC. ESPN is the last network the NHL should be on.
Didn't ESPN average 100,000 more viewers for there games than NBC sports does now?

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
What's the clause?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Didn't realize there was a clause in the NBC deal that would allow someone else to come in. Now that I know that, I'd be surprised to NOT see a deal with Fox made.

Still don't know that it is the case. First I've heard about this alleged clause as well. Perhaps the guy who mentioned it has a link/source.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:26 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
I would much rather see the NHL calm down on some of the Gamecenter Live rules (While still making the cable company's happy) instead of getting a new contract. They already have a 10 year one, and that seems to be working so far.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Still don't know that it is the case. First I've heard about this alleged clause as well. Perhaps the guy who mentioned it has a link/source.
Yeah, I'd like to see it as well. All signs have pretty much pointed to NBCU signing the 10 year exclusive deal to get out in front of the game, as they knew FS1 and the like were on the way.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:50 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see it as well. All signs have pretty much pointed to NBCU signing the 10 year exclusive deal to get out in front of the game, as they knew FS1 and the like were on the way.
Yeah who would of thought that a sports league could ever get a 10 year tv deal.

Just an FYI all the other major sports also have at least a 10 year tv deal and college sports tv deals average more than 10 years.

wildthing202 is online now   Reply With Quote