HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else feel DW redeemed himself this year?

Old
05-08-2013, 07:46 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Anyone else feel DW redeemed himself this year?

I believe i was sort of critical of DW for the past few years, but this sweep tastes so sweet, and honestly DW did practically everything most of us wanted to do this year.

Fix the PK
Dont pick up crap at the TDL
Ship out what doesnt work

Holy crap were we wrong about Hannan being a pylon
Holy crap we were right in shipping off Murray and Clowe to make us better
Holy crap did Torres make a difference
Larry Robinson?
Leaders actually leading?

Lets see what we draft this year, so far Dougie gets an "B"

I think if he hits home runs at the draft we will continue to compete for the cup for many more years.

anyone else agree?

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:08 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

I was going to start a similar thread today.

Ok, Burish was a mistake.....but going back to Gomez, Torres and Hannan coming in and Clowe and Murray going out......everything else has worked as well as expected or even better.

I think B is fair right now. If the Sharks make it to the Conference Finals, I think you move it to B+.

05-08-2013, 08:16 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

I think there might be the added benefit of Robinson mentoring Mclellan, in a way, as well. There's always the advantage of getting differing opinions from a person's peers, especially a seasoned veteran like Robinson.

I think DW did a bang up job this year and I didn't really see it coming, he was pretty fortunate though. For example: if Galiardi didn't go back to being a good player, if Burns didn't succeed at forward. He gambled and he won for the most part.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:27 AM
wtfisthis

Getting rid of Murray was enough for me. I've been wanting him gone for the past few years and he finally did it.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:28 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Burish is the only blemish on this year. Otherwise he's been awesome. Having an A+ draft would go a long way in making me feel better about him.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

I have to agree that Burish does not appear to be the best of deals at this point. I like the we got faster by losing Murray, Clowe and Hanzus deals. I like the picks we got back. I am still not convinced that we have the scoring depth to win it all.

Just cause we win a series lets not make this all out to be a success with DWs season. Lets see what happens in the playoffs.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Call me crazy but I think the Sharks became a different team when they split up Thornton and Marleau and effectively gave themselves four lines. 3 scoring lines that are also tough to play against. I pin point that decision to create 3 lines out of their stars instead of 1 1/2 lines, that made them an elite team. A good job by GM and coach.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Burish is the only blemish on this year. Otherwise he's been awesome. Having an A+ draft would go a long way in making me feel better about him.
To me, not getting rid of the pieces earlier is a blemish. Also, not putting out a lineup that makes the team play at its best is also a blemish (yes, that's mostly McLellan but DW has his input and it is his coach so he does take responsibility for it as well). Their drafting and development has its obvious weaknesses that they've declined to address for a while now. The sweep is great but the 2nd round isn't this team's goal and I'm not willing to forgive or forget everything else because of their current run that hasn't yielded anything as of yet.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:31 AM
NathanCouture
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
Call me crazy but I think the Sharks became a different team when they split up Thornton and Marleau and effectively gave themselves four lines. 3 scoring lines that are also tough to play against. I pin point that decision to create 3 lines out of their stars instead of 1 1/2 lines, that made them an elite team. A good job by GM and coach.
This.

Nathan Couture has been playing well tonight for Vancouver
NathanCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
NathanCouture
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I think there might be the added benefit of Robinson mentoring Mclellan, in a way, as well. There's always the advantage of getting differing opinions from a person's peers, especially a seasoned veteran like Robinson.

I think DW did a bang up job this year and I didn't really see it coming, he was pretty fortunate though. For example: if Galiardi didn't go back to being a good player, if Burns didn't succeed at forward. He gambled and he won for the most part.
Did the change in Gali's play come from being used in a way that allowed to succeed or something else?

NathanCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
hockeyball

It's kind of hard to say without knowing what went on behind the scenes. If Wilson had something to do with McLellan's abrupt about-face mid-season, than yah absolutely he did the right thing and props to him. If not, well props to McLellan for finally figuring it out, but Wilson really waited too long to fire him and got lucky. So hard to say on that front.

Trades wise I am not a fan of Raffi, but even I have to admit he's been extremely good, even ideal. Hannan I think he so far he has gotten very lucky on, the guy has been BRUTAL for 3 years now, I'm glad it's working out of course but hindsight is 20/20 and I still think it was a dumb move to make given Hannan's last several seasons of terrible, terrible, play.

Burish is absolutely worthless. Galiardi is finally showing how much better than McGinn he is, thank god, and Wilson did well there.

So in the end, I give him a reprieve for the moment, but he needs to have a solid draft/off-season as well. If McLellan gets soundly out-coached again in the later rounds he still needs to be fired, which will play a big part.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahddanmit View Post
Did the change in Gali's play come from being used in a way that allowed to succeed or something else?
His play improved when he was put with a center who is actully good. First Pavelski, and now Jumbo.

Edit: Oh also I think the vets sat down and talked with him or something.

domon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's kind of hard to say without knowing what went on behind the scenes. If Wilson had something to do with McLellan's abrupt about-face mid-season, than yah absolutely he did the right thing and props to him. If not, well props to McLellan for finally figuring it out, but Wilson really waited too long to fire him and got lucky. So hard to say on that front.

Trades wise I am not a fan of Raffi, but even I have to admit he's been extremely good, even ideal. Hannan I think he so far he has gotten very lucky on, the guy has been BRUTAL for 3 years now, I'm glad it's working out of course but hindsight is 20/20 and I still think it was a dumb move to make given Hannan's last several seasons of terrible, terrible, play.

Burish is absolutely worthless. Galiardi is finally showing how much better than McGinn he is, thank god, and Wilson did well there.

So in the end, I give him a reprieve for the moment, but he needs to have a solid draft/off-season as well. If McLellan gets soundly out-coached again in the later rounds he still needs to be fired, which will play a big part.
Basically, THIS. I agree with HB above.

DW missed badly when he chose Burrish over Winnik for effectively the same contract. If he figures out how to jettison Burrish over the off season, no real harm.

My fear is DW will do something DW-like this off-season. Sign a vet like Hannon to too much money for too long of a term. If he stays disciplined in his FA contracts and drafts for speed & skill (instead of swinging for the fences with large, slow developping D-men), I will be happier.

If he convinces Boyle, Marleau, Thornton to take discounts while signing Couture and Pavelski to Burns/Vlasic like extensions (5 year-ish, reasonable cap hits for what they bring) I will be truly happy.

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
To me, not getting rid of the pieces earlier is a blemish. Also, not putting out a lineup that makes the team play at its best is also a blemish (yes, that's mostly McLellan but DW has his input and it is his coach so he does take responsibility for it as well). Their drafting and development has its obvious weaknesses that they've declined to address for a while now. The sweep is great but the 2nd round isn't this team's goal and I'm not willing to forgive or forget everything else because of their current run that hasn't yielded anything as of yet.
This how I feel. I won't be happy with another early round exit...I WANT THE CUP!

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:56 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
This. Plus, I don't think he got the greatest value for Ryane Clowe.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Clowe not having any goals and playing subpar also played into that.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:01 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Basically, THIS. I agree with HB above.

DW missed badly when he chose Burrish over Winnik for effectively the same contract. If he figures out how to jettison Burrish over the off season, no real harm.

My fear is DW will do something DW-like this off-season. Sign a vet like Hannon to too much money for too long of a term. If he stays disciplined in his FA contracts and drafts for speed & skill (instead of swinging for the fences with large, slow developping D-men), I will be happier.

If he convinces Boyle, Marleau, Thornton to take discounts while signing Couture and Pavelski to Burns/Vlasic like extensions (5 year-ish, reasonable cap hits for what they bring) I will be truly happy.
For the love of god please quit saying DW chose burish over winnick. By all reports winnick wanted way too much money. He eventually settled on the ducks low ball offer because the sharks filled the position cause they didn't want to be left with nothing. San Jose has historically had trouble attracting FA so you have to automatically add in a "tax" that DW has to pay in terms of salary to get guys to come here.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
For the love of god please quit saying DW chose burish over winnick. By all reports winnick wanted way too much money. He eventually settled on the ducks low ball offer because the sharks filled the position cause they didn't want to be left with nothing. San Jose has historically had trouble attracting FA so you have to automatically add in a "tax" that DW has to pay in terms of salary to get guys to come here.
Seriously. Winnik wanted Joel Ward money.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
stator

Playing in the conference finals, yes than he has. Exiting the 2nd round like the Canucks did in the 1st round, then a partial redemption. But, I would be surprised that he is not the coach next year.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
stator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
That "tax" issue will get worse for CA teams as players start to look more at take-home pay due to the salary cap. Players will want to avoid high income tax states as much as possible. NYR can get by on being an original 6 and it's marque history/franchise. Sharks don't have that advantage. Neither do the Ducks and Kings for that matter.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
TealTownUSA

i'm reserving judgement...this sweep doesn't mean we won a cup yet. cmon man!

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
This is classic homer over rating. We're lucky we got what we did considering clowes ****** season last year and this year. Even NY fans don't want him back after the season. Mark of a successful TD acquisition is if the fan base almost unanimously wants the UFA to be resigned... See Torres, Raffi.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

It's a little too early to call it. He's had plenty of mistakes over the last few years to erase it all with one sweep.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Sleepy

Good: Murray/Clowe/Hannan and (ugh) Torres
Ok: Gomez/Hanzus (Hanzus was correcting previous mistakes)
Bad: Burish

Still Really Bad: The team addressed its depth problems by putting Pavs on the 3rd line and Burns at forward. While this is ok, I don't think we give DW too much credit for this. This is one where we do have to give TM credit for finding a way to work around DW's cluster of a bottom-6.

DW's offseason wasn't so good, but his trade deadline deals were where he really shined and shored up 70% of the team's problems.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Good: Murray/Clowe/Hannan and (ugh) Torres
Ok: Gomez/Hanzus (Hanzus was correcting previous mistakes)
Bad: Burish

Still Really Bad: The team addressed its depth problems by putting Pavs on the 3rd line and Burns at forward. While this is ok, I don't think we give DW too much credit for this. This is one where we do have to give TM credit for finding a way to work around DW's cluster of a bottom-6.

DW's offseason wasn't so good, but his trade deadline deals were where he really shined and shored up 70% of the team's problems.
Granted Stuart wanted to come here, but adding him automatically made the offseason a success. You don't typically add a top 4 dman that easily especially in SJ.