HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Playoff Series Where The Loser Outplayed The Winner

Old
06-01-2013, 11:03 PM
leeaf83

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
i guess any series where the goalie stole the show.

1993 Detroit/Toronto, here were there scores
game 1: 6-3 detroit
game 2: 6-2 detroit
game 3: 3-2 Toronto
game 4: 4-2 toronto
game 5: 5-4 Toronto (OT)
game 6: 7-3 Detroit
game 7: 4-3 Toronto (OT)

that wasn't a case of a goalie stealing a series, it was a case of the winner being slightly better every game they won but badly every game they lost.

The tables were almost turned the next series; Toronto dominated the blues every game but barely won in 7

Last edited by leeaf83: 06-01-2013 at 11:36 PM.
leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
i remember looking up the results on afternoon shift during break for the Capitals/Habs game. I remember Ovechkin getting **** on for choking, and I remember seeing 10 shots for Ovechkin, and 12 for the entire Habs team, and the Habs winning (game 6 i believe) and thinking, 'ya, not really his fault'
It was especially bad since Ovechkin was still scoring at his usual pace, with 5 goals and 10 points in the 7 games, but he dominated even more than usual, with Washington scoring 6.06 goals per 60 minutes even strength with him on and outshooting the bejesus out of Montreal.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+25+26+27+28#

Check those stats. Ignoring goalie performances it was arguably the most one sided series post-lockout.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:18 PM
overg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
i guess any series where the goalie stole the show.

game 6: 7-3 Toronto

that wasn't a case of a goalie stealing a series, it was a case of the winner being slightly better every game they won but badly every game they lost.

The tables were almost turned the next series; Toronto dominated the blues every game but barely won in 7
Still the most heartbreaking series I ever watched as a Wings fan. Mainly because I was still new to hockey, and did not yet understand that more skill does not mean a team automatically wins.

That was such a yo-yo series though. The games the Wings won were wide open, and it looked like they were toying with the Leafs. The games the Leafs won were extremely tight, with very few pretty plays and almost all of the goals coming on broken plays.

Basically, it was a perfect primer of regular season hockey vs. playoff hockey. The Wings won three "regular season" style games. The Leafs won four playoff games.

I have *never* been surprised by the results of a playoff series since that Wings loss. Even the next year, when the upstart Sharks took down Detroit, that was just another example that anything can happen in the playoffs.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Detroit vs. Chicago 2013.

Chicago came in and took advantage of a tired Detroit team in Game one. Detroit then dominated the Hawks in pretty much every aspect the next three games. In the final three games, all of them were very tightly contested.
I completely disagree with this. Chicago dominated Detroit in Games 1 and 5, mildly outplayed them in Games 3 and 7 and were outplayed in Games 2 and 6. Game 4 was pretty even. Chicago was pretty clearly the superior team to me.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Montreal-Washington 2010, f'in Halak

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:50 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Another one that comes close is Philly/Buffalo in 2011; Philly won that in 7 but Philly was the better team every game. I've never seen a goaltending disparity in a playoff series like that in my life; philly started 3 different guys and maybe got 3 competent games (2 of which were losses ironically). Utter domination.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj man View Post
i think the 1969 semi-final series(for the eastern division title) was regarded a classic. The canadiens defeated the bruins in six games although they were outscored.

The television network managed to stretch the final four games over ten days, because they knew that the final series against a second-year western division expansion team would be a rout.

(i thought that one of my reference books would have all of the game scores, but, alas, couldn't find it.)
10-apr boston 2 at montreal 3 (ot)
13-apr boston 3 at montreal 4 (ot)
17-apr montreal 0 at boston 5
20-apr montreal 2 at boston 3
22-apr boston 2 at montreal 4
24-apr montreal 2 at boston 1 (2ot)

Beliveau from Provost in double OT to win the series (and essentially the Cup) on the road

IIRC at least 1 of the first two games Montreal tied it with less than a minute left before winning in OT

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 06-02-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:48 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
The 1990s-2000s Red Wings could probably appear in this thread a lot. They were even getting more than 37 shots per game against the Avalanche in their 1999 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If a team often loses while outshooting their opponents, were they really outplaying their opponents each round or just outshooting them?
Detroit was absolutely dominating the Avalanche, and was en route to another Cup; Bill Ranford stunk up the arena so badly that a not nearly 100% Chris Osgood (who was Detroit's best player in the first round, but was injured in the final game against Anaheim and couldn't start the Colorado series) came in to take over for him in the final two games. It was probably the most lopsided on-ice play of any "Big Four" matchup from the 95-2004 period (just barely ahead of the 95 finals), yet the results were completely opposite of how the teams play. If Colorado had gone on to win the Cup, that series would have been a strong feather for another Roy Smythe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
game 6: 7-3 Detroit

There were three key variables that led to that result in 1993:

1) Steve Yzerman was by far the best player in the series in the first two games, but his wrist was injured in game two and this affected his faceoffs, shooting, and passing.

2) Felix Potvin stood tall while Tim Cheveldae crumbled, especially at key moments (such as Games 5 and 7 in OT).

3) Toronto was able to keep Doug Gilmour away from Sergei Fedorov, who completely shut Gilmour's line down any time they were on the ice together.

If any/all of those doesn't happen (Yzerman isn't injured, Cheveldae matches Potvin's play, and/or Gilmour is on the ice with Fedorov more often), the series falls in Detroit's favor.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:53 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
I completely disagree with this. Chicago dominated Detroit in Games 1 and 5, mildly outplayed them in Games 3 and 7 and were outplayed in Games 2 and 6. Game 4 was pretty even. Chicago was pretty clearly the superior team to me.
I completely diagree with your asessment of games 3 and 4. From games 2-4, Chicago's attack was disorganized (almost like a roster had been thrown together a week before the playoffs with no actual system being played) and they were very passive defensively. Crawford was the only player on the Hawks that seemed to give a damn in those games, and realistically he was their series MVP (although Howard outplayed him IMO, without Crawford's stellar play the Hawks are definitely out in one of game 5, 6, or 7.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
It was especially bad since Ovechkin was still scoring at his usual pace, with 5 goals and 10 points in the 7 games, but he dominated even more than usual, with Washington scoring 6.06 goals per 60 minutes even strength with him on and outshooting the bejesus out of Montreal.

Check those stats. Ignoring goalie performances it was arguably the most one sided series post-lockout.
Nah.

CGY - DET 2007 was more lopsided in that respect.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Detroit vs. Chicago 2013.

Chicago came in and took advantage of a tired Detroit team in Game one. Detroit then dominated the Hawks in pretty much every aspect the next three games. In the final three games, all of them were very tightly contested.
No - Chicago was better.

And I say this as someone:

- who likes Detroit better
- who was cheering for Detroit; and
- who put money on Detroit to win (because the odds were favourable)

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 01:33 AM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:

Varlamov wasn't terrible by any means either, he didn't give up any real questionable goals apart from Cammalleri's 2nd and Lapierre's goal in game 6

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote