HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Stastny

Old
05-11-2013, 11:44 AM
jmwc95

vCash: 500
Stastny

Blues fan here, I come it peace. It is apparent the Blues lack top-line talent to score with the big boys in the playoffs. We need a top line center. They obviously are not just given away willy-nilly. While is would be lovely to have someone serve us a Stamkos right in our lap, I'm sure that's not going to happen. We are going to have to try and buy low and hope that the player turns it around. I'm sure that even though Stastny's value is low right now, you aren't interested in handing him away for nothing like we weren't interested in handing away Stewart last offseason. That being said, is there a deal that can be worked out between the two clubs to land Stastny in St. Louis? I would start off by offering Perron + (insert blank). The players off the table would be:

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Tarasenko
Schwartz
Bouwmeester
Steen
Backes
Sobotka
CPR line
Jackman (only because he has full NTC and would not waive it).

Would rather not part with:
Oshie
Rattie (cost controlled)
Jaskin (cost controlled)
Elliott
Allen
Hakanpaa (eventual cheap Polak replacement)
2014 1st round pick (traded away 2013 1st for Bouwmeester and 2011 1st for Stewart/Shattenkirk)

Available:
Perron
Berglund
Polak
Stewart
Halak
Cole
Russell
Other mid-level prospects/picks not mentioned

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Gumballhead

I don't know, you excluded like 12 players right off the bat, so this isn't much fun for an Avs fan. It's like getting to the box of fancy candies and it's all coconut and lemon cremes.

Last edited by Frenchy: 05-11-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: false start i suppose
Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I personally would think a Perron + Rattie deal could work, it helps out with our lack of Winger depth...but I'm sure that I'm the only one who thinks that

***Edit***

I could also see Berglund maybe being if interest as well

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:54 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I personally would think a Perron + Rattie deal could work, it helps out with our lack of Winger depth...but I'm sure that I'm the only one who thinks that
If I were the Blues, I would definitely think about that. I wouldn't want to trade Rattie, but as long as we have Schwartz and Tarasenko on ELCs and Jaskin in the pipeline, I feel that is enough cost controlled depth on the wings. I know you need defense as well, but with Siemens getting close and Seth Jones on the way, do you not consider it as great of a weakness anymore? Because I'm sure the Blues would definitely be willing to add Cole to a deal. Not saying he's great or anything, but with a change of scenery he could be a 2nd/3rd paring guy on the left side and he's physical.

I also think that if the Blues were to move a winger in a deal for a center, Perron is the asset they would be looking to move first. I'm not saying they want to trade him, but he is probably the most expendable in their eyes.

Edit: If we are adding Rattie, it would definitely be contingent on Stastny signing a reasonable extension.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Polak should be the main piece coming back I think.

Maybe something like Stastny + 2014 2nd or 3rd rounder for Polak + Berglund?

Reuniting Staz and Stewy could be money.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:02 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
If I were the Blues, I would definitely think about that. I wouldn't want to trade Rattie, but as long as we have Schwartz and Tarasenko on ELCs and Jaskin in the pipeline, I feel that is enough cost controlled depth on the wings. I know you need defense as well, but with Siemens getting close and Seth Jones on the way, do you not consider it as great of a weakness anymore? Because I'm sure the Blues would definitely be willing to add Cole to a deal. Not saying he's great or anything, but with a change of scenery he could be a 2nd/3rd paring guy on the left side and he's physical.

I also think that if the Blues were to move a winger in a deal for a center, Perron is the asset they would be looking to move first. I'm not saying they want to trade him, but he is probably the most expendable in their eyes.
If we do draft Jones, he joins the list of some nice up-and-coming Defensemen

Jones
Siemens
Barrie
Elliott

All have some nice skills and the talent to develop into quality players to varying degrees.

Add on top of that, we also have EJ who's a top pairing defender, but that's my opinion.

Could I see them being interested in Cole? Sure, but I just see them being more interested in a combo of Berglund/Perron/Rattie

05-11-2013, 12:03 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumballhead View Post
I can't find Tyler Bozak on this list?

I don't know, you excluded like 12 players right off the bat, so this isn't much fun for an Avs fan. It's like getting to the box of fancy candies and it's all coconut and lemon cremes.
I didn't mean to spoil the fun, I am just letting you know which players the Blues would be looking to center the deal around, and which players are unrealistic to ask for coming back.

Just like you guys would say the Avs are not moving Duchene, O'Reilly (obviously they can't), Landeskog, Johnson, #1 overall, Parenteau, Siemens, etc.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Polak should be the main piece coming back I think.

Maybe something like Stastny + 2014 2nd or 3rd rounder for Polak + Berglund?

Reuniting Staz and Stewy could be money.
That's kind of my thinking. However, I think the Blues would like to only trade away one of the current roster players. I don't want to fill one hole by creating another. I think a current roster player plus an NHL-ready prospect.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Berglund + Rattie + 2014 1st

for

Stastny + 2014 2nd

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Foppa Frossa

Adrian Dater would have to be included in the deal, because when Stastny starts lighting it up, it's going to be unbearable.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:03 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Berglund + Rattie + 2014 1st

for

Stastny + 2014 2nd
Forget the swap of picks and you have a deal. The Blues cannot afford to go without a 1st round pick 3 out of 4 years.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

I think 2nd + Rattie/Jaskin for Stastny might work for both teams. Blues probably have a good chance to re-sign Stastny which would increase his value to them.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Avs71

I wonder if Sakic will value Stastny any higher since he played with him. I could see him wanting to atleast see Paul play under a new coach.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think 2nd + Rattie/Jaskin for Stastny might work for both teams. Blues probably have a good chance to re-sign Stastny which would increase his value to them.
We could get a fair amount more then that IMO. Otherwise we should keep Stastny and see how he does with a new coach next year and likely getting a more offensive role.

In saying that. Perron + Jaskin is a deal I would have a hard time saying no to. I really, really want us to at least see 15-20 games from Stas under the new coach next summer, but if Perron + Jaskin was offered, I would probably have to say yes.

BUT, at the same time. STL is in our division next year. And I really wouldn't want to face Stastny and Stewart together 6 times a year.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Some of these Blues offers aren't bad but if we're trading Stastny for an unproven prospect or young player, I'd much rather try to get someone like Gardiner out of Toronto. No idea if they would be willing to trade him though, he was just "untouchable" a few months ago. Adding Jones will be huge for us but that alone won't fix our defense.

Then again, our offense was pretty bad this season as well and trading Stastny will only make it worse.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:36 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Some of these Blues offers aren't bad but if we're trading Stastny for an unproven prospect or young player, I'd much rather try to get someone like Gardiner out of Toronto. No idea if they would be willing to trade him though, he was just "untouchable" a few months ago. Adding Jones will be huge for us but that alone won't fix our defense.

Then again, our offense was pretty bad this season as well and trading Stastny will only make it worse.
Not if you are trading Stastny for more scoring depth on the wings.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

If we did move Staz...and we shouldn't...I don't think we'd move him inside the division without an overpayment.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Not if you are trading Stastny for more scoring depth on the wings.
I meant if Stastny was traded for someone like Gardiner it would only make our offense worse.

From the Blues I'd want Schwartz. Avs need help on the wing but it's also clear they want to build down the middle.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
If we did move Staz...and we shouldn't...I don't think we'd move him inside the division without an overpayment.
I wouldn't say an overpayment, but it be assets the Avs want.

Just like the EJ trade, The Blues demanded Shatty. If the Blues wanted Stastny, it would be a similar type of deal with the Avs demanding a player be included (that isn't part of their core).

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I think trading in the division won't be quite as taboo since the divisions are bigger now. It's not like you would drop to the 4 seed if the Blues won the division.

You could get more for Stastny if he signs an extension, and considering he's from St. Louis, his father's ties to the organization, and St. Louis has quite a couple of USA hockey teammates, it seems like a natural fit for him.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:53 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
I meant if Stastny was traded for someone like Gardiner it would only make our offense worse.

From the Blues I'd want Schwartz. Avs need help on the wing but it's also clear they want to build down the middle.
I don't think we could afford giving up Schwartz. He's got one of the highest ceilings of our wingers and he's on an ELC. Taking on Stastny's contract along with raises to all our other UFAs necessitates us keeping Schwartz and Tarasenko and trading away someone like Perron with more dollars on their contract.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
I don't think we could afford giving up Schwartz. He's got one of the highest ceilings of our wingers and he's on an ELC. Taking on Stastny's contract along with raises to all our other UFAs necessitates us keeping Schwartz and Tarasenko and trading away someone like Perron with more dollars on their contract.
Is Schwartz playing wing full time now? Then you can just replace him with Rattie on the wing. Rattie has a high ceiling and he's also on an ELC.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:13 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Is Schwartz playing wing full time now? Then you can just replace him with Rattie on the wing. Rattie has a high ceiling and he's also on an ELC.
Schwartz is a full-time winger. Rattie does not have the ceiling that Schwartz does and he's not as NHL ready.

In my opinion, the Blues are one piece away. They need to acquire that piece without opening up any other holes. Rattie isn't ready to step into that role next year. Next year is our best shot. After that, Steen and Bouwmeester are UFAs. If we got Stastny, he would be a UFA then too. And who knows what our goaltending situation would be after that. Halak and Elliott both have 1 year left until UFA as well.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:27 PM
That's "Mack"innon

Quote:
Schwartz is a full-time winger. Rattie does not have the ceiling that Schwartz does and he's not as NHL ready.

In my opinion, the Blues are one piece away. They need to acquire that piece without opening up any other holes. Rattie isn't ready to step into that role next year. Next year is our best shot. After that, Steen and Bouwmeester are UFAs. If we got Stastny, he would be a UFA then too. And who knows what our goaltending situation would be after that. Halak and Elliott both have 1 year left until UFA as well.
Yeah, a goalie.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

If Rattie isn't ready, how does he help us score goals next season? We're not one or two pieces away from contending but we also can't give up Stastny for someone who might help us in a year or two.