HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LVIII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
In this case, results are what matters. They lost in the first round just like us. We played well but got beaten by an excellent goalie... and with a injury depleted line up. I think we can be proud of the effort our team gave in the series. Don't act like clueless Leafs fans and think we did not give a battle out there.

Nobody will remember the Lefs coming back from 3-1. They won 2 games in a row, big deal! What people will remember and what the Leafs players and fans will remember is the collapse with 10 minutes left in the game.

I think you're giving too much credit for the Leafs here. I never felt the Bruins played with a lot of urgency in the whole series and when they decided to play, the Leafs couldn't keep up.
Ur right that the bruins didn't play at their best all series. People will only remember the meltdown.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
LOL at season series. The Habs team that played against OTT was the poorest in the first round next to Vancouver. And LOL at the Sens not being an injury depleted team, Habs fans are something else aren't they.
Trivia: Which is the only team in NHL history to blow a 3 goal third period lead in a game 7?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:50 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
LOL at season series. The Habs team that played against OTT was the poorest in the first round next to Vancouver. And LOL at the Sens not being an injury depleted team, Habs fans are something else aren't they.
Hey dude, repeat after me:

Choke. Job.

Wait. Once again:

CHOKE. JOB.

One more time:

CHOKE. JOB.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:53 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Trivia: Which is the only team in NHL history to blow a 3 goal third period lead in a game 7?
I know! I know!

Old
05-14-2013, 03:00 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
What are you a canucks fan? You seem to be pretty damn proud of a team that has been completely irrelevant for probably the majority of your life. Giving habs fans the gears because your team survived a few more games? Do you even remember the last time the leafs won a series?

Ya habs fans are pretty pissed and let down but in a week or so we will get over it because the habs make the playoffs on a pretty regular clip. No big deal, next year probably another run like the last pile of runs we have had.

Accomplish something...ANYTHING, then talk ****.

Fun fact: Since 1962 the leafs have managed to finish 1st (1999) in their division 1 time. Habs have done it twice in the last 6 years.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Hab-a-maniac

It's not wrong to take schaudenfraude out of the Leafs dilemma for us Habs fans. They did bring more than us though. Reimer has flaws but he played his ass off while Price forgot to show up for game 1 and had struggles in game 3 too. That was fine if not for the fact Price was horri-awful the last 4 weeks of the season and that was after just being on par with Reimer's work in Toronto. Carlyle got the Leafs D looking much better than they are.

I like Fraser, really like Gardiner and Franson but Phaneuf is no #1 d-man (finished series -6 with 3 pts. If he were a Hab doing that, he'd get reemed). He's not the same guy who took the NHL by storm his first three years. He's the best minute eater they have... for now. But he also looks like broken down old Markov out there defensively without the excuse of the surgically repaired knee. Phaneuf can skate and hit, he's just got poor hockey sense and in junior always relied on his physical gifts then in Calgary Sutter and his myriad of coaches never got the bad habits out.

So these days he reminds me of a dumber version of Ed Jovanovski with Vancouver: talented but still missing something. I'd take Subban and Markov over him. Luckily for the Leafs Dion can be let go in a couple years and Gardiner-Franson can be complimented and Morgan Reilly will give them three very good puck moving offensive d-men (that Liles extension was pointless). But it's tough to continue to build the Leafs through trades and UFA signings, as the Habs will find. I think we've got the assets to try but we seem one-dimensional up front and too small and easily pushed around.

Toronto has the toughness factor now plus they're fast and skilled at scoring up front. Still, Toronto relied on that heavily this year. Not everyone is going to put up the shooting %'s they did plus if Bozak goes through free agency, is Joe Colborne ready yet to take his spot or will they just give more ice time to guys like Komarov and Frattin? Greg Scott, Kenny Ryan, Carter Ashton, Brad Ross, Jesse Blacker and Jerry D'Amigo are a few years from being real NHL'ers and I don't see any of them as being top 6 forwards really. Then there's guys like Stuart Percy or Tyler Biggs who I'm not too wowed by. Burke didn't stock the cupboard with a prospect pool like Ottawa's.

Sens are headed in a better direction than either the Leafs or Habs thanks to Murray's typically underrated work at the draft. It won't be easy for either next year with Detroit joining. That'll be crazy to have them, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal around. All five can make the playoffs in the new format but with that you want to make at least 3rd or you're now forced to do a small play-in round. So it doesn't bode well but it'll be interesting to see in 13-14. We may just now be the 4th best in the division at best so we should cherish that 2013 "Division title"

Old
05-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

I sadly missed the game but the Leafs' epic, monumental collapse is hilarious. One that will be remembered for a long time.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Come back.
like nostradamus

Old
05-14-2013, 05:43 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Hey dude, repeat after me:

Choke. Job.

Wait. Once again:

CHOKE. JOB.

One more time:

CHOKE. JOB.

Hold on! There's something stuck in his throat

Old
05-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Flyinghab

I completely agree that we need to build through the draft but we can add a player through free agency too. I'm really looking forward to the draft this year, in Timmons we trust!

Old
05-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Team_Spirit
SAINT RADULOV

Toronto should get bigger

Old
05-14-2013, 06:28 AM
ForeverTherrien
Shea le veut

vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
lol and people were actually arguing with me that Lundqvist hasn't even been that good in one thread a few weeks ago.

He's the best goalie in the NHL.
Quick is still better. Anderson too right now.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Toronto should get bigger
In Toronto's case...well they faced a big team too. And they need experience and more talent.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Reading the posts of this thread back... wow... who the hell do you guys think you are?

Our favorite team lost in 5 games, including 2 blowouts, against the 7th ranked team in the East, as the 2nd seed with home ice advantage, in a series most saw us winning.

Yeah. The Leafs might have gave up a 3 goals lead in a particular game, but they made it to game 7 and matched the Bruins' physicality for most of the series, all that while being the quickest team.

So yeah. Quit laughing about the Leafs. We're no better and at least, they can be proud enough to say they pushed this series to the very end.

They'll learn from it. That's for sure. I'm still not convinced after hearing Bergevin's comments that we will learn from our own shortcomings.

It's a sad time to be a Habs fan if all we have to get so euphoric about is the loss of a team who, I repeat, played 2 more games than us this year AND finished ahead of us last year, for all what it's worth.
I prefer losing in 5 than losing in 7 and choke a three-goal lead with 10 minutes remaining.

Habs > All > Bruins > Leafs

Old
05-14-2013, 07:05 AM
RC51

Just as a side thought.
We always thought the TSN reporters were bias towards the Leafs.
We even called the network the "TORONTO SPORT NETWORK"
reporters are supposed to be balanced and unbias. We were all told we were wrong and they only spoke the truth.
well did you see that group at TSN after that game. CRUSHED faces the lot of them. Choking on tears. UNBIAS MY ASS!

Old
05-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Price My Man Crush

Guys...guys, guys. Just watch those videos.
http://deadspin.com/bruins-win-overt...ium=socialflow

Old
05-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
That's gotta be one of the worst ways to lose in the playoffs. At 4-1 with 10 minutes left I was already thinking what a Leafs-Rangers playoff series would be like. I said to my fiancee last night as the game finished that I was happy it wasn't my team that choked like that because I would have been on the floor.

Part of me feels bad for Leafs fans because they support their team through thick and thin and it's been nine years and they have to go through that. Then the other part of me remembers reading their **** throughout this season and I just when thinking about last night.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:41 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Results are not all that matter , it's the character built from Toronto not letting down at 3-1 and regrouping to force game 7 and nearly win said game. You can look at results all you want but Toronto will be better moving forward from this experience , can't really say the same for the Habs except for maybe Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Subban.
That's bure bs. Tell that to the 2010 Habs...

Old
05-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Habs have nothing but question marks going into next season , it doesn't make us look good to compare our defeats like some kind of moral victory. The point I was making was very simple I'd much rather be watching game 7 hockey right now and be losing then going down the way we did. I also believe that winning 2 games when down 3-1 is not an easy task to do and does build important character maybe not some emotional catalyst but still important enough to give momentum going into the upcoming season.
Will one of our rookies sophomore slump? Will our GM fill out our top 4 D with a proven talent? Will Price take the next step in his career and resolve his consistency issues?
Will DD regain form? Will Eller be the same player he was before the game 1 incident (I can't wait to see him play with confidence next season to eliminate this doubt in my mind). Habs had a hot streak when many teams were having a hard time finding their footing early on , we were saved by a shortened season which allowed us to finish 2nd (let's not act like the way we were playing near the end was anything but abysmal). It's very simple I'm no Leafs fan nor am I unrealistic but I believe if the tables were turned Habs fan would be singing another story and would be content of the game 7 appearance and mock the Leafs fans for bowing out in 5.
"Habs have nothing but question marks going into next season"

Wha?

95% of the roster that won the division is coming back, or at least they CAN be back. I expect Bergevin to do like this year and supplement the skill base already in place with better role players much like Bouillon and Prust last year. A lot of young players can take their game to another level: Gallagher Galchenyuk Eller Desharnais(can be better than this year) Subban Diaz Emelin possibly Tinordi.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
I completely agree that we need to build through the draft but we can add a player through free agency too. I'm really looking forward to the draft this year, in Timmons we trust!
Free Agency has to be strategically done.

I think it's good for depth/role players if they fit a specific need...and once in awhile go for a "big fish" who is a regular(top 6 forward, top 4 d-man , starting goalie).

Old
05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
DAChampion

Every summer it's the same story in this fandom:

"Next year when our injured players come back we'll be a better team".

At some point we have to accept that we have structural problems, that increase injury risk. I'm not sure what those are, but every summer people say "The Habs were just unlucky last year", but it is not luck if the same thing happens nearly every year.

We're not winning squat until we solve our injury problem.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Join the club!

Old
05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
optimus2861

I gotta admit, last night when I went to bed and the Leafs were leading the game, I was thinking to myself, 'Self, it's going to really suck listening to Leafs fans crow about how they got further in the playoffs than us this year. Maybe Boston will come back...'

That's gotta be the first time in my entire life I have ever, on some level, hoped for the Boston Bruins to win a hockey game. I don't even hate the Leafs as a team that much; how can you? They've done squat for decades. I should even feel sorry for their long-suffering fans; our own twenty years of mediocre misery pale in comparison to their torment. But I can't help it; I loathe that fanbase and don't want to be alive on this planet come the day they ever actually win something. If that makes me a bad man, so be it

Old
05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
CHarlie
They feed me CHicken

I need some good photoshop epic fail pics of last nights game if anyone has any?

Old
05-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Habs have nothing but question marks going into next season , it doesn't make us look good to compare our defeats like some kind of moral victory. The point I was making was very simple I'd much rather be watching game 7 hockey right now and be losing then going down the way we did. I also believe that winning 2 games when down 3-1 is not an easy task to do and does build important character maybe not some emotional catalyst but still important enough to give momentum going into the upcoming season.
Will one of our rookies sophomore slump? Will our GM fill out our top 4 D with a proven talent? Will Price take the next step in his career and resolve his consistency issues?
Will DD regain form? Will Eller be the same player he was before the game 1 incident (I can't wait to see him play with confidence next season to eliminate this doubt in my mind). Habs had a hot streak when many teams were having a hard time finding their footing early on , we were saved by a shortened season which allowed us to finish 2nd (let's not act like the way we were playing near the end was anything but abysmal). It's very simple I'm no Leafs fan nor am I unrealistic but I believe if the tables were turned Habs fan would be singing another story and would be content of the game 7 appearance and mock the Leafs fans for bowing out in 5.
Losing is losing. You can try to find a moral victory in there, like the Habs actually outplaying Ottawa in 3 of 5 games and losing due to 6 regulars being out, or the Leafs in saying they got back from a 3-1 series deficit to force game 7 and actually be so close to moving on, but essentially both lost. Both will learn some things, both will build character from it, and that's it.

And which team other than perhaps Pittsburgh and Chicago doesn't go into next season with question marks? Every team has question marks. The Leafs got some serious high shooting percentage this year, will it last? Highly doubtful. Will Kadri have another career year? He hasn't proven anything and sophomore slumps are very common, so how will he perform? And you can go on and on down their roster just as much as with the Habs and pretty much every other team.

Closed Thread