HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AV to be fired?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
  #1
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
AV to be fired?

Harrison Mooney ‏@HarrisonMooney 14m
Sounds like Alain Vigneault firing could be confirmed within the next few hours.
Retweeted by Nick Cotsonika
Expand Reply Retweeted Favorite More

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:34 PM
  #2
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Harrison Mooney ‏@HarrisonMooney 14m
Sounds like Alain Vigneault firing could be confirmed within the next few hours.
Retweeted by Nick Cotsonika
Expand Reply Retweeted Favorite More
dun dun duuuuuuuuhhhhh

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
  #3
VictoriaJetsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
If AV is fired, Gillis needs to go too. He is responsible for creating a team that can't win a playoff game.

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:37 PM
  #4
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 2192
I don't mean to be that guy... but this is relevant how?

I'm doubting that article that said Chevy would go after AV, unless he became an assistant coach or something like that... but that's unlikely.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:38 PM
  #5
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
I don't mean to be that guy... but this is relevant how?

I'm doubting that article that said Chevy would go after AV, unless he became an assistant coach or something like that... but that's unlikely.
What article?

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  #6
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika 5s
Vigneault has been fired, via @LouisJean_TVA. Luongo still has not been traded.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:45 PM
  #7
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
What article?
I do believe I remember people on here talking about an article (I think it was a Lawless one, don't quote me on that) that said Chevy would go after AV if he got fired.

I thought this was sort of referencing that, because that's the only connection to the Jets I could think, this seemed more suited to the Vancouver forum. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this, just wondering.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:46 PM
  #8
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
I do believe I remember people on here talking about an article (I think it was a Lawless one, don't quote me on that) that said Chevy would go after AV if he got fired.

I thought this was sort of referencing that, because that's the only connection to the Jets I could think, this seemed more suited to the Vancouver forum. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this, just wondering.
I see your point, but Rick Bowness was also fired, so it's clearly Jets related.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  #9
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Right now, i Kinda wish noel had been worse.

as in, i don't think he's been bad enough to get fired and have the jets hire AV, but i certainly wouldn't mind the upgrade.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  #10
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er
 
Kinjero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
just heard it on 1290.. AV fired

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  #11
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Right now, i Kinda wish noel had been worse.

as in, i don't think he's been bad enough to get fired and have the jets hire AV, but i certainly wouldn't mind the upgrade.
Their line usage is very similar... AV=CN
I don't know enough about systems to comment... AV?CN
Their player usage seems to be definitely tilted one way... AV>CN

Be interesting to see what happens.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:45 PM
  #12
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
I'm thinking the Jets stand pat with Noel for at least one more year.

Chevy hasn't given him the horses yet, imo, to really see what he can do.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
  #13
seasontixholder*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mom's Basement
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
Please please bring him back here. At least he showed he can coach at the NHL level. Noel couldn't do it in Columbus. Not too fond of him in Winnipeg either.

seasontixholder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:58 PM
  #14
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
Please please bring him back here. At least he showed he can coach at the NHL level. Noel couldn't do it in Columbus. Not too fond of him in Winnipeg either.

Noel did fine as a head coach in Columbus. He went 10-8-0-6 with the Bluejackets or 0.542 after replacing Hitchcock midseason who went 22-27-0-9 or 0.457

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:12 PM
  #15
seasontixholder*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mom's Basement
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Noel did fine as a head coach in Columbus. He went 10-8-0-6 with the Bluejackets or 0.542 after replacing Hitchcock midseason who went 22-27-0-9 or 0.457
Is .500 something Noel can brag about? Hitchcock had a bad year too. But Hitch is 10x the coach Noel is including a Stanley cup.


Last edited by seasontixholder*: 05-22-2013 at 04:18 PM.
seasontixholder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  #16
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Noel did fine as a head coach in Columbus. He went 10-8-0-6 with the Bluejackets or 0.542 after replacing Hitchcock midseason who went 22-27-0-9 or 0.457
I'm not anti-Noel... but that isn't exactly a huge sample size...
Columbus didn't keep Noel after all...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  #17
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Their line usage is very similar... AV=CN
I don't know enough about systems to comment... AV?CN
Their player usage seems to be definitely tilted one way... AV>CN

Be interesting to see what happens.
They most certainly are similar. If you think Noel makes strange lineup decisions...AV would be like Claude looking in a mirror. Canucks fans could never figure out why Rome played over Ballard so much back in '11.

He also heavily prefers veterans, "trustworthy" players, etc over young guys. Grabner couldn't get in their lineup for 2 seasons (he was injured on and off as well) and the next season he blew up and scored 40 goals on LI.

AV is far from an awful coach but he literally has the same weaknesses as Claude with less of a track record developing young players in the A. The only things he has on Claude is experience/winning record.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
  #18
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
Please please bring him back here. At least he showed he can coach at the NHL level. Noel couldn't do it in Columbus. Not too fond of him in Winnipeg either.
"Showed he can coach" means...

Win games and go on playoff runs with a top talented team? You bet. But he's never taken an underachiever deep in the post-season either. He's not a bad coach or anything but he's nothing special compared to Noel.

I think you're looking at the two's win% and making an assumption that this former Canucks fan disagrees with.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
  #19
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
They most certainly are similar. If you think Noel makes strange lineup decisions...AV would be like Claude looking in a mirror. Canucks fans could never figure out why Rome played over Ballard so much back in '11.

He also heavily prefers veterans, "trustworthy" players, etc over young guys. Grabner couldn't get in their lineup for 2 seasons (he was injured on and off as well) and the next season he blew up and scored 40 goals on LI.

AV is far from an awful coach but he literally has the same weaknesses as Claude with less of a track record developing young players in the A. The only things he has on Claude is experience/winning record.
I'm interested to hear why you'd say that as I quite disagree:

Young players successfully developed and integrated into the lineup in his tenure:

Kesler
Edler
Schneider
Bieska
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows
Hansen
Hodgson to some extent

Thats a number 1 goalie, a two/way number 1 or 2 center, 2 or 3 top 4 defenseman (depending on how you view Tanev) and a couple of 2nd and third line forwards. I'd say he's done quite well at integrating young players over the years.


Last edited by surixon: 05-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.
surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM
  #20
TheDarkKnight
Registered User
 
TheDarkKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Love to see Chevy grab him, but I believe it to be very VERY unlikely.

TheDarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:47 PM
  #21
AWSAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 50
I'm not a big fan of AV, but he's better than Noel. It won't be long before he's behind another team's bench.

If Noel was let go tomorrow it might be a long wait for him. He'd probably have to back to the AHL, or take up an assistant job somewhere before a bottom feeder will give him another shot.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  #22
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I'm interested to hear why you'd say that as I quite disagree:

Young players successfully integrated into the lineup in his tenure:

Kesler
Edler
Schneider
Bieska
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows
Hansen
Hodgson to some extent

Thats a number 1 goalie, a two/way number 1 or 2 center, 2 or 3 top 4 defenseman (depending on how you view Tanev) and a couple of 2nd and third line forwards. I'd say he's done quite well at integrating young players over the years.
Sure man I don't think either are bad coaches with young guys overall. He was familiar with almost all the guys listed from when he was the Moose coach and they all developed well over time. He always trusted young two way guys (all forwards you listed).

His main short comings were:
-In game adjustments when teams countered his strategies
-Playing lesser players that suited his system in certain cases
-Team tended to sit on leads

Strengths
-Disciplined system play consistently
-Always made young guys learn defense to earn minutes first
-Most players improved steadily under his tenure
-Always ran his system to get offense out of his defenseman to cover up for lack of top end forward talent

He doesn't suck at all, just does this all not sound pretty similar to Claude?

It would just be such a sideways move. I've seen him coach both offensively limited and blessed teams in his time there and they always had good regular season showings. Better than Crawford was I thought. Just don't see the point in canning our coach for someone who is not very likely to take us over the top. Different, not sure to be better.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  #23
SCP Guy
Registered User
 
SCP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 50
Anyone know how much money AV made compared to CN? Why do I have a feeling they are not on the same pay scale?

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:37 PM
  #24
Hank Chinaski
Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 50
Gillis sure is pissy and combative in this press conference. Feeling that noose tightening much?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:41 PM
  #25
meedle
Registered User
 
meedle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
The problem with waitin a year for a coaching change is that most of the coaches like AV won't be available. Its better to make the change now imo.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.