HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (Marvel, ABC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-10-2012, 10:58 PM
  #1
Crabapple
Registered User
 
Crabapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D

Pretty big news as Joss Whedon is bring S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC.

Joss Wedon + Avengers=possibly the best thing ever

Would love to see some guest appearances from Samuel L Jackson, Robert Downey Jr. and the gang.

Also would be sweet if Nathan Fillion could get a role (as long as it doesn't take him away from Castle)

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:20 PM
  #2
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
S.H.I.E.L.D., for those who aren't readers of the Marvel comic, stands for Strategic Hazard Intervention Logistic Directorate.
Why are they retconning the name to the comic book version instead of keeping the continuity with what it stood for in Iron Man?

That aside, the show is obviously intriguing but I don't see how it can be done well without costing a metric ****-ton of money to produce.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:13 AM
  #3
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 807
Well, Whedon have created the greast tvshow the ever to grace the surface of earth but if he wont be the showrunner and his contribution stops after the pilot i dont know. If i did understand that correctly..

Anyway, its whedon so it will be awesome.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:41 AM
  #4
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,823
vCash: 50
hope Vic Mackay makes an appearance

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:20 AM
  #5
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Was happy to hear about this back when it was first announced and still happy today. I can only hope some of the bigger starts make a few guest spots. Will be interesting to see what direction they go with this since it does not seem that it will be superhero based.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:46 AM
  #6
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
I want a villain, to win. Seriously. Just flat out kill the super heros, and win. No happy ending. No resurrection. No going back in time. The super villain wins. Roll credits.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:10 AM
  #7
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I want a villain, to win. Seriously. Just flat out kill the super heros, and win. No happy ending. No resurrection. No going back in time. The super villain wins. Roll credits.
Watch Seven.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
  #8
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 21,599
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Watch Seven.
Ohhh spoiler haha but yes one of the greatest endings of all time.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:31 PM
  #9
USC Trojans
AD
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 500
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/09/21...ow/#more-69602

damn, Lizzy Caplan won't be on the TV show. Kinda liked her in the one-shot. Maybe Jesse Bradford will get a role, I only remember him from Bring it on though.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
  #10
Kensu
Registered User
 
Kensu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 63
I honestly thought at first it was like remake of The Shield when I read the title, I totally forgot about the Avengers.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:34 PM
  #11
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,665
vCash: 500
Saw an article the other day that said J. August Richards (Gunn from Whedon's previous series, Angel) has some sort of "super secret role" in the pilot. No word on whether or not it'd just be a pilot role or something ongoing if the series gets picked up.

Cool though.

Something else I was thinking of the other day, watching The Avengers again and noting that Coulson is apparently supposed to be a regular:

What if it's all a ploy?

The example I think of is the last Transformers series, Transformers Prime. Prior to the series' launch, they hyped the hell out of the fact that The Rock was going to join the cast as Cliffjumper. He did the press junkets/convention panels, and they talked about him being part of the cast and what his character brought to the team and basically he was the #2 story about the show behind the return of Peter Cullen & Frank Welker as Optimus and Megatron (for those that don't know, those two are the original voices from the 80s cartoon)

So what happened? 10 minutes into the series premiere, Cliffjumper gets brutally killed. He spends the rest of the 5 part premiere/movie as a sort of robot zombie, but The Rock never speaks in that time, as zombie!Cliff just makes hissing/gurgling zombie noises. The Rock had a grand total of about 10 lines before his character bites it. And the whole way beforehand, every bit of press they did gave no indication this would happen and made it sound like he would be a regular character for the series.

Anyway, back on track, what if that's what they do with Coulson for the SHIELD series? The premiere takes place during the events of The Avengers. We see more of him evacuating the complex at the start and then transition to the Helicarrier where he ends up being killed. Pilot ends after his funeral and the agents having to figure out how they're going to function without their best and most prominent member short of Fury himself.

That way they can make a big deal about Clark Gregg being back for the series, but not actually have to bring Coulson back from the dead. Plus it has the added benefit of ****ing with peoples' emotions the way Joss Whedon so loves to do.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
  #12
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Saw an article the other day that said J. August Richards (Gunn from Whedon's previous series, Angel) has some sort of "super secret role" in the pilot. No word on whether or not it'd just be a pilot role or something ongoing if the series gets picked up.

Cool though.

Something else I was thinking of the other day, watching The Avengers again and noting that Coulson is apparently supposed to be a regular:

What if it's all a ploy?

The example I think of is the last Transformers series, Transformers Prime. Prior to the series' launch, they hyped the hell out of the fact that The Rock was going to join the cast as Cliffjumper. He did the press junkets/convention panels, and they talked about him being part of the cast and what his character brought to the team and basically he was the #2 story about the show behind the return of Peter Cullen & Frank Welker as Optimus and Megatron (for those that don't know, those two are the original voices from the 80s cartoon)

So what happened? 10 minutes into the series premiere, Cliffjumper gets brutally killed. He spends the rest of the 5 part premiere/movie as a sort of robot zombie, but The Rock never speaks in that time, as zombie!Cliff just makes hissing/gurgling zombie noises. The Rock had a grand total of about 10 lines before his character bites it. And the whole way beforehand, every bit of press they did gave no indication this would happen and made it sound like he would be a regular character for the series.

Anyway, back on track, what if that's what they do with Coulson for the SHIELD series? The premiere takes place during the events of The Avengers. We see more of him evacuating the complex at the start and then transition to the Helicarrier where he ends up being killed. Pilot ends after his funeral and the agents having to figure out how they're going to function without their best and most prominent member short of Fury himself.

That way they can make a big deal about Clark Gregg being back for the series, but not actually have to bring Coulson back from the dead. Plus it has the added benefit of ****ing with peoples' emotions the way Joss Whedon so loves to do.
Watch Avengers again. It's pretty clear Coulson didn't die. Just from the fact that Fury lies about everything. Even Coulson's words in the film can be interpreted as "Tell them I'm dead, they need something to bond over" as him telling Fury to fake his death upon rewatching.

I think Coulson is back for good, and considering how he's now a comic character and a part of the cartoons, I think he'll stick around this time. The big deal about the series will be the superheros popping up from time to time (and they'll all likely do it except the actor that plays Cap since a bit anal about his contract) and Coulson will be the "bridge" between the filmverse and the televisionverse.

I honestly think they wanted Maria Hill for that role, but the actress is somehow on season 9 of How I Met Your Mother. That and she's not nearly as fleshed out as Coulson yet. She might be after Cap 2.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:51 PM
  #13
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Watch Avengers again. It's pretty clear Coulson didn't die. Just from the fact that Fury lies about everything. Even Coulson's words in the film can be interpreted as "Tell them I'm dead, they need something to bond over" as him telling Fury to fake his death upon rewatching.
I'll have to re-watch it, but I didn't think that was clear at all. Fury didn't lie about everything. All he did was lie about the Captain America card that was in Coulson's locker instead of in his pocket.
Also, wasn't there someone with Coulson while he was dying (Stark or Rogers)? Hard to fake a death when someone is right there. It's also hard not to die when you get stabbed in the chest.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:17 AM
  #14
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Watch Avengers again. It's pretty clear Coulson didn't die. Just from the fact that Fury lies about everything. Even Coulson's words in the film can be interpreted as "Tell them I'm dead, they need something to bond over" as him telling Fury to fake his death upon rewatching.

I think Coulson is back for good, and considering how he's now a comic character and a part of the cartoons, I think he'll stick around this time. The big deal about the series will be the superheros popping up from time to time (and they'll all likely do it except the actor that plays Cap since a bit anal about his contract) and Coulson will be the "bridge" between the filmverse and the televisionverse.

I honestly think they wanted Maria Hill for that role, but the actress is somehow on season 9 of How I Met Your Mother. That and she's not nearly as fleshed out as Coulson yet. She might be after Cap 2.
Oh, I totally know that theory is out there. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction they went. But I also know that Whedon loves to let fans speculate and theorize and lay out all sorts of explanations about what things are going to happen, only to turn around and do something completely different just to crush the theories. There's a reason the trope is called "jossing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'll have to re-watch it, but I didn't think that was clear at all. Fury didn't lie about everything. All he did was lie about the Captain America card that was in Coulson's locker instead of in his pocket.
Also, wasn't there someone with Coulson while he was dying (Stark or Rogers)? Hard to fake a death when someone is right there. It's also hard not to die when you get stabbed in the chest.
Nobody was there except Fury and the medics. Cap and Iron Man were in another part of the carrier. Thor had been in the room, but was dumped in the cell. Hulk had already been taken off the carrier by the fighter jet that picked a fight with him, and Black Widow was presumably taking the now-unconscious Hawkeye to get his sense back.

And the implication is that if Fury was willing to use the cards as a ploy to motivate the team, and given that he was already hiding a bunch of other stuff from them earlier (like the "phase 2" weapons) it wouldn't be a much of a stretch for him to fake Coulson's death by simply announcing it over the radio and then getting the cards when he goes up for the briefing about what happened.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
  #15
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Oh, I totally know that theory is out there. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction they went. But I also know that Whedon loves to let fans speculate and theorize and lay out all sorts of explanations about what things are going to happen, only to turn around and do something completely different just to crush the theories. There's a reason the trope is called "jossing"



Nobody was there except Fury and the medics. Cap and Iron Man were in another part of the carrier. Thor had been in the room, but was dumped in the cell. Hulk had already been taken off the carrier by the fighter jet that picked a fight with him, and Black Widow was presumably taking the now-unconscious Hawkeye to get his sense back.

And the implication is that if Fury was willing to use the cards as a ploy to motivate the team, and given that he was already hiding a bunch of other stuff from them earlier (like the "phase 2" weapons) it wouldn't be a much of a stretch for him to fake Coulson's death by simply announcing it over the radio and then getting the cards when he goes up for the briefing about what happened.
Completely agree with you about Whedon, but some things (like Coulson) may be out of his control because even Whedon has to answer to Marvel. And they have very strong...opinions..about some things. Although they did let Whedon run the ship pretty well with Avengers, he was lucky to already be using characters he had written before.

That and both Whedon and Marvel have made it very clear that the show takes place after the Avengers. You risk making a lot of people mad if you go back on that. I also think half the point of the show being a bunch of no name characters (and Coulson) is so that he can play around in the sandbox and kill/write them however he wants.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  #16
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
Joss Whedon/Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets a New Title: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The branding machine is in full effect.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
  #17
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 9,046
vCash: 500
Looks like this is going to be less about superheroes and more about suits. If you watch the extras on some of the DVDs, there are a number of short films about random SHIELD agents you see in the background of the films. One of them had Lizzy Caplan in it.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  #18
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Looks like this is going to be less about superheroes and more about suits. If you watch the extras on some of the DVDs, there are a number of short films about random SHIELD agents you see in the background of the films. One of them had Lizzy Caplan in it.
I believe that was the plan from the start.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  #19
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,360
vCash: 500
sigh, I was looking forward to this but I just cannot stand Ming Na. She is my least favorite character in every single thing I have seen her in.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:18 PM
  #20
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,580
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
sigh, I was looking forward to this but I just cannot stand Ming Na. She is my least favorite character in every single thing I have seen her in.
She's terrible

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
  #21
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,665
vCash: 500
it's official:

ABCPublicity ‏@ABC_Publicity

ABC has picked up Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. More to come next week. Congrats! #AgentsofSHIELD






They're apparently going to do the first teaser/trailer during Sunday night's season finale of Once Upon A Time.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:34 AM
  #22
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 807
Is that Faith?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:06 AM
  #23
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,179
vCash: 50
This looks badddd. Then again Whedon is doing it so.. ****** dialogue here we come!

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
  #24
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 14,790
vCash: 500
Is the girl on the far left the girl who just player Maya Hanson in IM3?

And is this supposed to be like a prequel or having nothing to do with the movies? Because Colson died in The Avengers.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
  #25
JS19
Pls Sharks win
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Is the girl on the far left the girl who just player Maya Hanson in IM3?

And is this supposed to be like a prequel or having nothing to do with the movies? Because Colson died in The Avengers.
I remember Joss Whedon implied that he didn't actually die (considering that S.H.I.E.L.D. takes place after the Avengers)...that he staged it so that the Avengers could actually have motivation to work together.

I wonder how this show would be set up, certainly sounds interesting.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.