HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel

Old
05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
hockeyfanz*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Just saying...if Kessel ever went through a Stamkos/Kadri/Seguin (Biosteel?) fitness program he'd be that much more electric on the ice, if you ask me, and might feel more confident pushing back in certain situations.
Not even an argument. But I really don't criticize the best player on the team with the most skill and most explosive offensive abilities. If Kessel plays like he did in the playoffs every playoffs....he can be as fat as he wants.

I really liked his level of intensity and his physicality. Yes I said that about Phil Kessel.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:50 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Kessel's got a chance at 90 points if he's consistent all season. This season he was on pace for 89 points and that's with him starting his first 10 games with 0 goals and 6 points.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:58 PM
tooncesmeow

Don't think Phil needs a major fitness program. He's incredibly quick, works hard, and gets goals. He is what he is and trying to change up his fitness drastically is just going to throw off his game. Look at Luke when he put on 15-20lbs the season before he got traded. It threw off his whole game.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:03 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

The guy is gonna be a prolific goal-scorer for a long time. I bet he scores 400+ goals when all is said and done. I see no wear and tear in his game.

Max term = $60M ($7.5M AAV)

Then pay him $5M on the side just for representing the MLSE brand

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:26 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
Don't think Phil needs a major fitness program. He's incredibly quick, works hard, and gets goals. He is what he is and trying to change up his fitness drastically is just going to throw off his game. Look at Luke when he put on 15-20lbs the season before he got traded. It threw off his whole game.

kadri is another example. he put on about 15 pounds, and he became slow.

kadri will never be a 200LB guy, around 185 to 190 Is fine by me. with increased strength

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:24 AM
MarryMarner

Kessel is the exact player you want out at the end of a playoff game when you need a goal, these guys don't grow on trees. He does need a long term deal. Hope it happens.

MarryMarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Leafsfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Kessel's got a chance at 90 points if he's consistent all season. This season he was on pace for 89 points and that's with him starting his first 10 games with 0 goals and 6 points.
I agree. I can't wait to see what he does next season.

Leafsfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Leafsfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesseltoLupul View Post
Kessel is the exact player you want out at the end of a playoff game when you need a goal, these guys don't grow on trees. He does need a long term deal. Hope it happens.
It needs to happen. It will happen...

The thought of him leaving...

Leafsfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
moonbal

Nonis needs to lock him up fast.

moonbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:33 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Times have certainly changed, on the Bruins board not many are happy with Seguin and his 1 point in 10 playoff games. Gasp some are even suggesting Seguin take a page from Kessel, now talk about a turn of play from a year ago. Seems like our boy has finally gotten some respect from the Bruins fans.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Bodybr3ak

Lol notsureifsrs at some of the responses ITT.

Kessel is hands down our most mobile/explosive player, I think his game benefits more from that then it does from his shot. His lateral skating is insane and I don't have to tell you how good is north to south skating his.

Id get bashed on the main boards for this but as someone who has a background in training amatuer athletes (some pro) kessel is just as explosive as ovechkin is. OV just makes it look better because the guy is fukking massive.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:03 PM
John Stamos
The Peoples Champ

We need to extend him this off-season, I have a feeling he is throwing up 90 next year.

John Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:57 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLongR0D View Post
We need to extend him this off-season, I have a feeling he is throwing up 90 next year.
It definitely is something that has to be a focus this summer. Get that extension signed and lock him up. Has just continued to improve and this playoff series was a huge thing for him. Just figure it out and keep him on the roster.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:09 PM
ReimerIsFuture
Rookie User

The great thing about Kessel is his ability to answer the call and improve from criticism. I had never been against the Kessel trade to begin with, however everyone around me was bringing it up every time we played the Bruins. Everytime people criticize a part of his game, he steps it up.

Even though he had a "off year" as most people like to say, he led the team in points in both the regular season and playoffs. He has also improved his point production per game since arriving here in 2009. Seguin and Hamilton will both be incredible players but there's no question about it, Kessel is the real deal. I really hope he stays long term.

ReimerIsFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 04:41 PM
MapleLeafs9
"There will be pain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
Just think that Kessel could be so much better if he took his conditioning more serious. Despite how great he has been for us, he always leaves me wanting more because of how overweight he is for a professional hockey player. He can definitely be a 90-100 point player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post
Are you seriously trying to say that Kessel doesn't take his conditioning serious?

They don't pay NHL players millions of dollars to NOT take it serious... I'm not even sure if you're serious or not either.. I don't think you've ever seen him skating at top speed to even think that he is "overweight"

Once again, not even sure if you're serious..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Except he's not overweight. He's dropped quite a few pounds the last few years, it's just the way his face looks, he has baby fat that makes him look fatter than he actually is. You can't be "fat" and out of shape yet somehow wheel like an animal every game.
Don't mean to bring up an old thread, but I forgot to respond to these comments.

Kessel is overweight. There were reports and rumours (keywords reports, rumours, not saying it's true) he came to camp out of shape when the lockout ended, and IIRC, he played a ton of poker over the lockout.

Kessel in 2010:

Kessel in 2013 after the lockout:

I stand by my comments, Kessel could be a lot better if he was more dedicated to his fitness. I'm talking 90-100 points better.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
Don't mean to bring up an old thread, but I forgot to respond to these comments.

Kessel is overweight. There were reports and rumours (keywords reports, rumours, not saying it's true) he came to camp out of shape when the lockout ended, and IIRC, he played a ton of poker over the lockout.

Kessel in 2010:

Kessel in 2013 after the lockout:

I stand by my comments, Kessel could be a lot better if he was more dedicated to his fitness. I'm talking 90-100 points better.
You realize he's gritting his teeth in the first picture right? Or do we just chuck that into the huge pile marked "things you clearly don't understand"?

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:41 PM
mikeo1

This is not an overweight man:

Does he have an impressive physique? No. But he is not overweight.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
This is not an overweight man:

Does he have an impressive physique? No. But he is not overweight.
He's not overweight but he aint no Mesomorph either

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:04 AM
MapleLeafs9
"There will be pain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
You realize he's gritting his teeth in the first picture right? Or do we just chuck that into the huge pile marked "things you clearly don't understand"?
If you really want to try to argue that Kessel doesn't look fatter in the recent mugshot, then...whatever. He's gritting his teeth Give me a break...

Old
05-27-2013, 02:13 AM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

Was anyone skating harder than Phil Kessel in the Bruin series? Don't think so.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:16 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
If you really want to try to argue that Kessel doesn't look fatter in the recent mugshot, then...whatever. He's gritting his teeth Give me a break...
What makes Kessel overweight?

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:19 AM
MapleLeafs9
"There will be pain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Was anyone skating harder than Phil Kessel in the Bruin series? Don't think so.
I am not denying that Kessel was our best player during the Bruins series, and the season or trying to take that away from him. What I originally said was that he could be so much better if he conditioned himself a lot more. Imagine a slim Kessel, how much faster he could be and with more endurance.

He leaves me wanting more because of this thought...He could be a 90-100 point player.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Kurtz

Phil's not overweight, he merely has a fat head - Kovalchuck is the same way. Hitting the gym isn't likely to benefit his game yet...

However, in a few years, when youth is no longer on his side, he'll have to start hitting the gym, otherwise he may fall off a cliff like Kaberle did.

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know your getting lots of flack but I do agree with you. I give Kessel HUGE kudos for stepping up in playoffs and how he played and feel we need to re-sign him in off season.

He may not be fat and out of shape per say but has lots of room to improve. I have seen the difference in his face from the press conference with Burke and now. Once he hits 30, he could hit a wall imo.

Nobody needs to jump on each others throats because some people criticize one aspect of a our player. That's fine if some others don't see it or don't agree.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:33 AM
MapleLeafs9
"There will be pain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I know your getting lots of flack but I do agree with you. I give Kessel HUGE kudos for stepping up in playoffs and how he played and feel we need to re-sign him in off season.

He may not be fat and out of shape per say but has lots of room to improve. I have seen the difference in his face from the press conference with Burke and now. Once he hits 30, he could hit a wall imo.

Nobody needs to jump on each others throats because some people criticize one aspect of a our player. That's fine if some others don't see it or don't agree.
Thank you, and I'm sure plenty of other people see it too, but just don't want to admit it.