HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Quarterfinal: (3) Washington Capitals vs. (6) New York Rangers | Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
Edit: deleting post because I don't much care.

One thing I have learned about game 7s, though, is that they have a tendency to be trend breakers. A great example is the 2009 series between these two teams. Rangers went up 3-1 on D and goaltending. In games 5 and 6, the Caps broke through offensively. Game 7 was unlike what came before. Both teams were in each other's face AND it was low scoring.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post

This was called penalty on Caps.

I'll say you'll get 5 or 6 PP's we might get 1, regardless of what is actually going on on ice.... On the other hand i can see Caps just folding, i mean whats the point doesn't matter what you do Rangers will play pretty much half of the period on PP...
What does that have to do with Chris Rooney?

The guy gave the rangers a penalty for a celebration
Thing is, I'm sure everyone has beef with the guy

05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
New York is a far bigger draw. They're doing what they can to push them along.
They want to cater to the fans and major corporations. Ovechkin vs. Crosby has been catered ever since they entered the league. It involves much better storyline and probably better TV rating.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:20 PM
RockDaRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Then they didn't do a good job at it last year by letting the Rangers lose to the Devils. I guess we could all ignore that, though, and cherry-pick the times the league wants the Rangers to advance and the times they don't.
They could have let the Rangers go down in Game 5. When Caps were up 1 goal before the PP with 7 seconds left. Would have been a Caps/Devils series.

Old
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Dude are you serious? Why would Bettman want the Rangers to advance? They already generate enough revenue. The Caps will advance because of Refs and play the Pens to milk out the 'rivalry'. There is no conspiracy for the Rangers, if anything, the Caps are the ones that need to advance.
5-0 in PP advantage, thats all anybody needs to know to make logical conclusions.

Last edited by Kane One: 05-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old
BobRouse

Quote:
How so? Are the referees Ranger fans who only want to see them win at home? Are Ranger fans actually calling the penalties? Could it be a coincidence? Because these are your numbers, so tell me what they mean to you.
Absolutely could be a coincidence. Either way its a statistical anomaly that will raise eyebrows and it has to fans and some media. Whether or not there is fire behind the smoke I don't know

Old
05-13-2013, 03:21 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
New York is a far bigger draw. They're doing what they can to push them along.
I would really be interested if you have any stats (like national ratings for the respective clubs) to back this up. Honestly, because outside of the fact that NY is a much larger market I would assume that the national audience would be bigger for a team that has the #2 biggest name in the NHL and maybe its most exciting player. Even if NY is a bigger draw (and this isn't the Yankees we're talking about), I can't think that the difference is so big that the league would think that some sort of conspiracy to get them into the 2nd round would be worth the risk. Ovechkin going to the 2nd round would a pretty damn good consolation prize. Not worth risking the league losing its credibility with a conspiracy.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:22 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Really have never believed in any of these half-conspiracies about best players getting the calls for ratings, more $$, etc.

I think its natural reaction of the refs to give the golden boys of the league the benefit of almost every call.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDaRed View Post
They could have let the Rangers go down in Game 5. When Caps were up 1 goal before the PP with 7 seconds left. Would have been a Caps/Devils series.
Who is this "they". Now you are complaining about last years playoff loss? Jeez...

Old
05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Honestly how much milking has there been? I mean outside of the playoff series? I mean sure Caps and Pens is always heated because both are usually good but outside of when they talk about who has more goals at the end of each season I don't hear that much. Now if you are talking about milking the Pens-Caps rivalry you got a point. Even if the officiating doesn't support that point.
WC, Nhl.com articles, Olympic 'rivalry', etc.

I think the NHL tries to milk this rivalry more so than any other rivalries.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I would really be interested if you have any stats (like national ratings for the respective clubs) to back this up. Honestly, because outside of the fact that NY is a much larger market I would assume that the national audience would be bigger for a team that has the #2 biggest name in the NHL and maybe its most exciting player. Even if NY is a bigger draw (and this isn't the Yankees we're talking about), I can't think that the difference is so big that the league would think that some sort of conspiracy to get them into the 2nd round would be worth the risk. Ovechkin going to the 2nd round would a pretty damn good consolation prize. Not worth risking the league losing its credibility with a conspiracy.
If this were the case, wouldn't the league have pushed Montreal on to the 2nd round? Same with Vancouver? Or made sure the series' at least went longer for more ratings and more exposure! OMGZ!!1!

Not directed at you Snowblind, just adding on

Old
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Like the Rangers tonight who I believe will meet Toronto in the next round. Look's like Lundqvist got into Washington's head. Plus the Rangers are due to win a game 7 on the road.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
5-0 in PP advantage, thats all anybody needs to know to make logical conclusions.
It's simple!

They want to draw a game 7 Cap win. The extra Rangers game nhl spared for us add to league revenue.

It's not such a hard concept to grasp!

Last edited by Kane One: 05-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old
RockDaRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If this were the case, wouldn't the league have pushed Montreal on to the 2nd round? Same with Vancouver? Or made sure the series' at least went longer for more ratings and more exposure! OMGZ!!1!

Not directed at you Snowblind, just adding on
Not to say I believe is conspiracies (while I do think the refs have been garbage in NY this series)

Montreal vs Ottawa- I mean both are Canadien teams with great followings. Can't really lose either way.

Last edited by Kane One: 05-13-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: .
Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Like the Rangers tonight who I believe will meet Toronto in the next round. Look's like Lundqvist got into Washington's head. Plus the Rangers are due to win a game 7 on the road.
Hey stop it with your cr........

I mean, yeah, what he said!

In all honesty if that is you in the picture thank you very much for your service!

Old
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
WC, Nhl.com articles, Olympic 'rivalry', etc.

I think the NHL tries to milk this rivalry more so than any other rivalries.
I don't have a problem with it. Honestly, it's all a large business decision; Both fanbases are strong when teams are competitive and struggle to fill the arena when not. So hype the teams up and build a stronger fanbase to these places.

Large market areas like NY, Boston, and Detroit don't need that much advertising to fill the seats.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Not to say I believe is conspiracies (while I do think the refs have been garbage in NY this series)

Maybe they didn't want another riot in Vancouver? Make it short and sweet

Montreal vs Ottawa- I mean both are Canadien teams with great followings. Can't really lose either way.
Montreal is a MUCH bigger market.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:29 PM
bags92

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
Really have never believed in any of these half-conspiracies about best players getting the calls for ratings, more $$, etc.

I think its natural reaction of the refs to give the golden boys of the league the benefit of almost every call.
Thank You.

I'm not a big fan of people saying that something is a "conspiracy theory". Sometimes refs make mistakes, and sometimes more than others. But I certainly don't think the league is trying to move either of these teams onto the next round.

I just hope the officials put their whistles in their pockets tonight on both ends and let the guys play.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Why not just call it the "Referee Cup" instead of the "Stanley Cup"? I ask because clearly the playoffs are about which team the referees want to win the most.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
park rangers
Optimist

For the sake of both teams fans; please no OT!

Old
05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Caps fans...quit arguing about the calls. The ranger fans are pretty much copy and pasting the same posts penguin fans have been hitting them with for years.

It's already all over the media and the numbers speak for themselves. If the caps win all the crying is for not. If they lose then you have an excuse ready to go and a whole summer to read about it in Teds blog.

Either way let the New York fans cheer on a bunch of spineless divers. If that's the ranger way to sell calls let them have their soccer.

New age technology. Refs don't see everything but we fans sure do. I've gained a lot of respect for some rangers in this series and lost a ton for others. Specifically Callahan. It's got to suck knowing Brad Marchand is better than him at everything from scoring to diving. March would probably wear two c's on his jersey if he was captain of NYR.

Boyle,McDonough and Lundqvist have well earned my respect through high quality play. I can tell the caps respect Lundqvist as well. The fact they haven't run him on several occasions being so undiciplined and all speaks for itself.
Ward pushing Dorsett from behind skates first and barely missing Hank doesn't count as running him?

You think Callahan and Marchand are similar players? Troll attempt?

A team with Ribeiro and Ovechkin is calling other teams divers? Pot meet kettle?

Old
05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
schabadoo

Quote:

This was called penalty on Caps.
No it wasn't. Did you miss ten seconds after that?

If the Caps cut down on crosschecks to the face and delay of games, the penalties would be even.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
No it wasn't. Did you miss ten seconds after that?

If the Caps cut down on crosschecks to the face and delay of games, the penalties would be even.
That's just not possible. The easier thing to do is to blame the refs and assume the league has it out for your team

Old
05-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Capathetic

Quote:
Then they didn't do a good job at it last year by letting the Rangers lose to the Devils. I guess we could all ignore that, though, and cherry-pick the times the league wants the Rangers to advance and the times they don't.
May be no conspiracy but after so many game sevens last year and the whole 8 pm start time seem to work out just right.

The caps don't need a ton of power plays to score. In fact they have largely carried the play in the series until they go short handed. Then they kill it and only for a repeat cycle.

It's really not hard to fathom the league doing what it can to see a game seven between what NHL network was calling the most dramatic series.

I've read the ranger gdt's. even your fans are somewhat surprised that the rangers are getting so many advantages...just for a second before you all complain about how bad your pp is. Then once the topic gets to the main board the tune changes to how disciplined NYR are or dirty the Caps were.

Then you have the unbiased fan bases coming in here and even calling the refs a joke.

This case I believe they helped it get to seven by neutering the caps best weapon. Still with all the advantages the shots and zone time is about dead even. Is it really hard to assume that if the calls were even,or the caps having just three more power plays the outcome would be different?

I'll bet if the rangers could score on their power plays the caps would get more to even it out. People really need to stop feeling sorry for NYR's power play. It affects the game in other areas too.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Absolutely could be a coincidence. Either way its a statistical anomaly that will raise eyebrows and it has to fans and some media. Whether or not there is fire behind the smoke I don't know
It's damn sure not the first time and damn sure not the last time penalties have been lopsided in a series. They've yet to find any fire.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Closed Thread