HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

thursdays Jasper practice

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 10:42 AM
baxter

vCash: 500
thursdays Jasper practice

Once again todays practice started out with special teams. Roles were reversed though with Smyth and Hemsky on the pk. Salmo and Rita both had pp time and both looked comfortable. MAB also was on the ice a lot for special teams.
No forwards played the point on the powerplay during practice. Actually I know this will ruffle a few feathers but J Smith looked very comfortable on the PP today, getting shots and pinching in at the right times. I would not be upset to see him get some pp time and he would be able to bring some defensive responsiblitiy while playing on the pp with a forward on the other point.
No surprise Moreau and Reaoner played well together on the pk. getting some decent shorthanded scoring chances, even a break away for Moreau. (didnt score)

Jamie Wright had another strong practice, I really cant see this guy not playing in the NHL this year, but I have only seen him in two practices.

Cory Cross may as well been sitting next to me in the stands, he was burned a few times today and just didnt seem to be really in the mood for practice.

Semenov needs to get a cab, he just looks dangerous riding his bike around Jasper, I didnt think they could get a bike to fit a guy that tall.

Once again the goalies looked sharp stopping most of the shots, Staios did finally score on Salo during a four on four drill which seemed to last forever, to the cheering of the bench and the crowd. Doesnt seem like these guys put many pucks in the net, dont know if that means we have a chance at the Vezna this year or we just cant score.

Wright and Stoll spent some time with Moore after practice working on faceoffs.

Stoll, Rita and Salmo were skating on a line together, lots of speed and enthusiasm, they seem to work very well together. I was surprised that Stoll didnt get any special teams time that i saw, but the other two did.

Luoma had a better practice today, meaning I didnt see him getting caught out of position as frequently, he doesnt get half the attention that MAB gets though and I realistaically cant see him getting a job over Bergeron. MAB has had time on both the PK and PP in the last two days of practice and has been paired with Smith frequently.

I wouldnt want to be deciding who makes this team as all the rookies look comfortable and like they belong.
And since the oil will be leaving Jasper soon, unless anyone has any questions which I can try to answer, thats my 15 mins of fame over.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:08 AM
barto

Excellent updates! Thanks for the great work, Baxter - much appreciated. I didn't even get to the Edmonton-area practices, so I relied on all those who did to report & give me a sense of what was going on.

I agree with you about MAB vs. Luoma - fairly easy to have Mikko start the year in Toronto to get some more exposure to NA hockey.

I wonder if Stoll is ticketed to start in Toronto as well, with Rita still having an outside shot at making the big club.

Bart

Old
09-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter
Once again todays practice started out with special teams. Roles were reversed though with Smyth and Hemsky on the pk. Salmo and Rita both had pp time and both looked comfortable. MAB also was on the ice a lot for special teams.
No forwards played the point on the powerplay during practice. Actually I know this will ruffle a few feathers but J Smith looked very comfortable on the PP today, getting shots and pinching in at the right times. I would not be upset to see him get some pp time and he would be able to bring some defensive responsiblitiy while playing on the pp with a forward on the other point.
No surprise Moreau and Reaoner played well together on the pk. getting some decent shorthanded scoring chances, even a break away for Moreau. (didnt score)

Jamie Wright had another strong practice, I really cant see this guy not playing in the NHL this year, but I have only seen him in two practices.

Cory Cross may as well been sitting next to me in the stands, he was burned a few times today and just didnt seem to be really in the mood for practice.

Semenov needs to get a cab, he just looks dangerous riding his bike around Jasper, I didnt think they could get a bike to fit a guy that tall.

Once again the goalies looked sharp stopping most of the shots, Staios did finally score on Salo during a four on four drill which seemed to last forever, to the cheering of the bench and the crowd. Doesnt seem like these guys put many pucks in the net, dont know if that means we have a chance at the Vezna this year or we just cant score.

Wright and Stoll spent some time with Moore after practice working on faceoffs.

Stoll, Rita and Salmo were skating on a line together, lots of speed and enthusiasm, they seem to work very well together. I was surprised that Stoll didnt get any special teams time that i saw, but the other two did.

Luoma had a better practice today, meaning I didnt see him getting caught out of position as frequently, he doesnt get half the attention that MAB gets though and I realistaically cant see him getting a job over Bergeron. MAB has had time on both the PK and PP in the last two days of practice and has been paired with Smith frequently.

I wouldnt want to be deciding who makes this team as all the rookies look comfortable and like they belong.
And since the oil will be leaving Jasper soon, unless anyone has any questions which I can try to answer, thats my 15 mins of fame over.
I can see This lineup based on all that i have read so far.

Izzy Smyth Hemsky
York Horcoff Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Rita
Chimera Stoll BG

Pisani, Torres

I think comrie would step Horcoff's spot and Moreau and York switching spots to spread the midgets around a little bit. Horcoff would go tothe 4th line and Stoll would go to TO.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter
Unless things change substantially in the next couple of exhibition games, I think you just saw the Roadrunners' #1 line in action.

Quote:
Why did it have to be a 3 year contract? He's starting to make me nervous.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:11 PM
theoil

Thanks for the input Baxter - much appreciated. I think the thing to put pre-season into perspective is that Ferguson scored 2 goals in the Blue / White game the other night. That said, Cross is making me nervous too.

Closed Thread