HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CAPS Playoff penalty history

Old
05-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Maruk moustache

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
The excellent conspiracy theorist in me would say that a NY Market team is an appealing prize considering this latest lockout. Also:

I just get the sense from watching broadcasts and how McGuire gushes over certain Rangers.

You have a former Ranger player in Shanahan doling out suspensions and the Rangers suffer little in that regard.

You have the league VP who grew up a Ranger fan.

You have the league offices in NY.

Something just doesn't add up to me this series. Is a conspiracy likely? Probably not. But I didn't really think there was one in the NBA in 2002 either. I just thought it was more the refs being dumb or have Laker bias.

Where there is smoke their is often fire. The smoke here is becoming thick...
I've got to say this.

Mr. Rouse's statements aren't an actual allegation that a conspiracy is afoot. I know this. But, people who do allege actual conspiracy theories often end up looking crazy to varying degrees to most people, even the few times they are right, at least when the alleged conspiracy would involve as many people as the one in which someone very high up in the NHL has instructed two or more referees to be kinder to the Rangers and/or less kind to the Capitals.

The reason for this I think is that with each person in an alleged conspiracy, the chances become more and more remote that at least one of them won't object to the idea and do something to upset it such as tattle to the media. And to most people the idea of corrupting the legitimacy of the game on purpose is going to be objectionable. And that's even more true if you're a referee or a league official--not consciously favoring one team over another is kind of the most minimum standard for reasonable competence if you're one of those kinds of people, and few people want to be thought of as total incompetents.

So, not saying there can't possibly be a conspiracy in the NHL to favor a team or disfavor a team. But I am saying, before an actual accusation (again not accusing Mr. Rouse of actually making that accusation), I think there is a really heavy burden of proof to meet.

Not saying there can't be unconscious influences that affect officials, or that those influences can't exert a great effect in a particular playoff series. Besides having been a fan of a team which of course might come into play, studies show that the home team effect is very real and definitely significant, and you can Google it. Refs are generally more likely to favor home teams in all sports.

Take out the, what is it, 15 to 5 advantage in PPs Rags have had at home, and the overall discrepancy left over isn't so bad. I believe most neutral observers would say that this series presents a dramatic example of the home team effect given what actually happened on the ice in those games in New York, but, still, maybe it's just the home team effect combined with particularly bad refereeing.

The lack of edge in PPs the Caps have had at home might just be a function of the same thing that made the Caps have 15 more times shorthanded during the regular season than the Rangers, whatever exactly that is.

As for the media, now, if they consciously show favoritism towards New York teams, that wouldn't surprise me at all. I know there are local feeds and all, but the bottom line is ratings, and there are more people watching the national broadcasts that are fans of New York teams than there are that are fans of Washington teams. Pierre, in particular, seems to be keenly aware of where NBCSN's bread is buttered. Keith Jones slamming the Caps for not being disciplined instead of saying a thing about the refs--I want to scream "Keep sucking up to the New York fans, b***h." Just look at the number of posts in the Rangers area of this website vs. the number here--not even comparable. Lots more Rangers fans than Capitals fans in the world.

That said, the officiating in this series, at least after game 2, ****ing sucks my m****er ****ing ass, and the suckiness for the most part happens to be tilted against the Capitals. But I don't expect it to continue in game 7. Because I don't actually believe there's any kind of conspiracy. And the Caps are at home tonight.

Last edited by Maruk moustache: 05-13-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Edited for grammar, because I'm neurotic.
Maruk moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonknott View Post
I mean, seriously, I would like someone with a sack to ask Shanahan why that is not worthy of any discipline. That was an absolutely unnecessary, dirty move by Callahan. It's one thing for that garbage ice crew to miss it, another for the league to pretend it is all part of the game.

Capsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruk moustache View Post
I've got to say this.

Mr. Rouse's statements aren't an actual allegation that a conspiracy is afoot. I know this. But, people who do allege actual conspiracy theories often end up looking crazy to varying degrees to most people, even the few times they are right, at least when the alleged conspiracy would involve as many people as the one in which someone very high up in the NHL has instructed two or more referees to be kinder to the Rangers and/or less kind to the Capitals.

The reason for this I think is that with each person in an alleged conspiracy, the chances become more and more remote that at least one of them won't object to the idea and do something to upset it such as tattle to the media. And to most people the idea of corrupting the legitimacy of the game on purpose is going to be objectionable. And that's even more true if you're a referee or a league official--not consciously favoring one team over another is kind of the most minimum standard for reasonable competence if you're one of those kinds of people, and few people want to be thought of as total incompetents.

So, not saying there can't possibly be a conspiracy in the NHL to favor a team or disfavor a team. But I am saying, before an actual accusation (again not accusing Mr. Rouse of actually making that accusation), I think there is a really heavy burden of proof to meet.

Not saying there can't be unconscious influences that affect officials, or that those influences can't exert a great effect in a particular playoff series. Besides having been a fan of a team which of course might come into play, studies show that the home team effect is very real and definitely significant, and you can Google it. Refs are generally more likely to favor home teams in all sports.

Take out the, what is it, 15 to 5 advantage in PPs Rags have had at home, and the overall discrepancy left over isn't so bad. I believe most neutral observers would say that this series presents a dramatic example of the home team effect given what actually happened on the ice in those games in New York, but, still, maybe it's just the home team effect combined with particularly bad refereeing.

The lack of edge in PPs the Caps have had at home might just be a function of the same thing that made the Caps have 15 more times shorthanded during the regular season than the Rangers, whatever exactly that is.

As for the media, now, if they consciously show favoritism towards New York teams, that wouldn't surprise me at all. I know there are local feeds and all, but the bottom line is ratings, and there are more people watching the national broadcasts that are fans of New York teams than there are that are fans of Washington teams. Pierre, in particular, seems to be keenly aware of where NBCSN's bread is buttered. Keith Jones slamming the Caps for not being disciplined instead of saying a thing about the refs--I want to scream "Keep sucking up to the New York fans, b***h." Just look at the number of posts in the Rangers area of this website vs. the number here--not even comparable. Lots more Rangers fans than Capitals fans in the world.

That said, the officiating in this series, at least after game 2, ****ing sucks my m****er ****ing ass, and the suckiness for the most part happens to be tilted against the Capitals. But I don't expect it to continue in game 7. Because I don't actually believe there's any kind of conspiracy. And the Caps are at home tonight.
Yeah obviously I would have no proof and the burden definitely should be placed on the true conspiracy theorist.

However we have had scandals at the highest levels of politics and sports. Look at the soccer thing that went on just not too long ago. I believe that is ongoing. Look at the NBA situation with Donahey.

It would be naive to believe that it CAN'T happen but I understand that to levy a direct accusation requires a great deal of proof that clearly I don't have.

The numbers are staggering however and the "eye test" even more so.

Through 48 games the Rangers have been up a man 5 more total times than down.

Through 48 games the Caps have been up a man 1 more total time than down.

In 3 head to head games the Caps were up a man 1 more time than the Rangers.

Yet through 6 games the Rangers are nearly doubling up on the Caps. Including 3 5 on 3 powerplays.

Something is not adding up. I don't like how it smells one bit. I have not seen, in all my years of following the team, a more animated Joe B/Locker/May/Koken.

At some point a reasonable person would have to start suspecting something is not right. The question is what that point is? What if the Rangers get 15 pps tonight and the Caps 0? Would we still pass this off as incompetent refereeing or "discipline" by the Rangers and lack thereof by the Caps?

http://thefixisin.net/international.html

Again..all I am saying that it is indeed possible and it would be naive to think that such a big money industry (made larger by gambling) would be immune to such things.

Last edited by BobRouse: 05-13-2013 at 02:28 PM.
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Maruk moustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah obviously I would have no proof and the burden definitely should be placed on the true conspiracy theorist.

However we have had scandals at the highest levels of politics and sports. Look at the soccer thing that went on just not too long ago. I believe that is ongoing. Look at the NBA situation with Donahey.

It would be naive to believe that it CAN'T happen but I understand that to levy a direct accusation requires a great deal of proof that clearly I don't have.

The numbers are staggering however and the "eye test" even more so.

Through 48 games the Rangers have been up a man 5 more total times than down.

Through 48 games the Caps have been up a man 1 more total time than down.

In 3 head to head games the Caps were up a man 1 more time than the Rangers.

Yet through 6 games the Rangers are nearly doubling up on the Caps. Including 3 5 on 3 powerplays.

Something is not adding up. I don't like how it smells one bit. I have not seen, in all my years of following the team, a more animated Joe B/Locker/May/Koken.

At some point a reasonable person would have to start suspecting something is not right. The question is what that point is? What if the Rangers get 15 pps tonight and the Caps 0? Would we still pass this off as incompetent refereeing or "discipline" by the Rangers and lack thereof by the Caps?

http://thefixisin.net/international.html

Again..all I am saying that it is indeed possible and it would be naive to think that such a big money industry (made larger by gambling) would be immune to such things.
Possible, sure. That's an interesting website there I will look more at later. I'm mostly just saying, most people, rightly or wrongly, will think us Caps fans crazy if we keep going on about conspiracy theories.

I said a lot of other stuff too, I know. What do I know? Not much, that's for sure. Any fool can make a prediction. I'm gonna be a fool and predict a reasonably officiated game tonight.

I wish, so much, I could hear Joe B and Locker but they won't let me here in Texas even though I have Center Ice because it's the playoffs and so I have to hear Pierre and co. I wonder if Joe B talks about the refs on his blog. I think he has one somewhere.

Maruk moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:43 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruk moustache View Post
Possible, sure. That's an interesting website there I will look more at later. I'm mostly just saying, most people, rightly or wrongly, will think us Caps fans crazy if we keep going on about conspiracy theories.

I said a lot of other stuff too, I know. What do I know? Not much, that's for sure. Any fool can make a prediction. I'm gonna be a fool and predict a reasonably officiated game tonight.

I wish, so much, I could hear Joe B and Locker but they won't let me here in Texas even though I have Center Ice because it's the playoffs and so I have to hear Pierre and co. I wonder if Joe B talks about the refs on his blog. I think he has one somewhere.
Trust no one! haha

Who knows whats going on really?

I thought Kings fans and players of the NBA were crazy in 2002. Now? Not so much....

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:45 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Is anyone else besides me not liking all the penalties called in the modern playoff game?

Back in the 1980's and 90's, the refs largely buried their whistles and took themselves out of the game. As far as I know, no one complained except Lemieux, and fans were entertained by witnessing hockey not limited by players fear of ticky tack calls. Including being witness to games of a lifetime, 4OTs etc.

It was nice to be witness to an era that allowed the players to decide the games. And no, the refs would call penalties when truly warranted.
Welcome to the current NHL. Those days of good ole hockey are gone. Give it a few more years and they will take out hitting.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Chokingdogs

IMO, anybody that thinks there's no possible way a "fix" could be in, in professional sports, has their head in the sand.

from a very high level, one could see it's quite easy to have a fix - in terms of officiating - in hockey ( or any officiated sport for that matter ), especially in the playoffs where the crews are whittled down round after round.

the pro leagues are almost like the mafia towards their employees, one doesnt dare speak out if they have any illusions of continuing to be an official/employee. the spoken of league will make sure that person sleeps with the fishies WRT their position.

the reason for all that falls on one thing, money, the nba thing clearly illustrates that.

i'm not saying that's what's happening this series.....i guess all i'm saying is, if a ref came out 5 years from now saying his crew was encouraged to call penguin games a certain way, i wouldnt be shocked in the least.

edit - that elbow by callahan is a perfect example of how a person could run with a conspiracy. shamahan has fined/suspended people for hits that were never even called a penalty in the game. that hit is what he/the league say they're trying to eliminate - a textbook example actually. a shot where the head is targeted to an unsuspecting player. but, if he were to review and suspend that player, he'd be suspending an important player for the rangers.....

Last edited by Chokingdogs: 05-13-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonknott View Post
Holy ****!?! Really? Nothing form the league? This ****er really needs to swallow some of his own teeth tonight.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
g00n
abides

The series is OBVIOUSLY fixed to go 7 games. What better way to stop the best PP in the league and erase a 2-0 series lead?

As far as a league preference for who wins it, I'm not so sure.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:01 AM
amin723

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
The series is OBVIOUSLY fixed to go 7 games. What better way to stop the best PP in the league and erase a 2-0 series lead?

As far as a league preference for who wins it, I'm not so sure.
The league isn't dumb enough to fix a game 7. They tell their boys, "OK swallow your whistles, now and let them play." But by that time the hosed team has been frustrated into submission and if one thing doesn't go their way they will collapse.

The fix was clearly in on this series. I mean blatantly. Hidden in plain sight in New York, and the mental midgets of the Caps couldn't overcome. Ovechkin needs to rise above this sort of stuff and lead the team through it, but his natural Russian paranoia causes him to wallow in it. He should go to a league where they actually like him for his own sanity's sake.

I know people say this all the time, but after watching Pittsburgh 2.0, I literally am done with the NHL. Peace out brothers. Fight the good fight.

amin723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:36 AM
eagleeyes

There is no NHL conspiracy. No one tells the refs to call a certain way. The refs are human.

Wait what?! They are human??? Humans miss calls or call things that maybe shouldn't have been called? This is unheard of! Humans cant make mistakes... That's impossible.. (obvious sarcasm)

It's so easy for people to ***** about refs watching on tv or watching replays when they slow it down for you. Hockey is a fast sport, refs can't be perfect. Certain angles make things look worse or less severe.. This is why 2 refs often make different calls on plays(one calls a penalty the other doesn't or one calls something a goal and the other doesn't)

You aren't losing because of the refs. You are losing because the other team beat you. Stop making excuses for your teams.

eagleeyes is offline   Reply With Quote