Notices

A few trade proposals for draft day

Old
06-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Ducks Ahoy
Effort = overrated

vCash: 500
A few trade proposals for draft day

Now I know that some of these may not be 100% realistic but they are just starting points that we can use to bounce ideas off of each other.

ANA gets: Keith Ballard/Jannik Hansen
VAN gets: Toni Lydman/David Steckel or Daniel Winnik

ANA gets: Eric Johnson/Gabriel Landeskog
COL gets: Bobby Ryan/Toni Lydman/draft pick

ANA gets: Sergei Kostitsyn or Patric Hornqvist/Jonathan Blum
NSH gets: Peter Holland/Ben Lovejoy or Toni Lydman

ANA gets: Kari Lehtonen/Jamie Benn/Dallas 1st round pick or Eric Nystrom
DAL gets: Jonas Hiller/Luca Sbisa/Devante Smith-Pelly

ANA gets: Jaroslav Halak/Alexander Steen or Vladimir Sobotka
STL gets: Josh Gibson/Matthew Lombardi/3rd round pick

Feel free to make changes to those that you think would fit better and post your own trade proposals!

Ducks Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Paul4587

You do realize upcoming UFAs have no trade value, right?

And most of those are very one sided.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Most of the trades are involving UFA rights, which are worth a 5-7th at best for the players mentioned.

The Dallas trade is brutal - they downgrade at every position.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Ducks Ahoy
Effort = overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
You do realize upcoming UFAs have no trade value, right?

And most of those are very one sided.
I understand, I did this on the plane without the roster and FA lists in front of me so I was just going off the top of my head

Ducks Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by HetfieldMustaine22 View Post
Now I know that some of these may not be 100% realistic but they are just starting points that we can use to bounce ideas off of each other.

Feel free to make changes to those that you think would fit better and post your own trade proposals!
I won't go into my thoughts on the trades simply because trades involving soon to be UFA's really don't even garner a discussion.

I will say this, I really doubt if the Ducks decided to trade any one of Ryan/Hiller/Sbisa/Holland/Gibson it wouldn't be to a West team. they would very likely look to the Eastern conference. That is unless a Western Conference team greatly outbid an East team. Something to think about in future trade proposals.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
JeffShibley

Quote:

I will help you out just a little bit... Lydman, Steckel, Lovejoy, and Lombardi are all UFAs so none of those could happen...

so the only trade on the Ducks side of things would be the Hiller Sbisa trade, and if they did trade Hiller and Sbisa it would be to lower the cap space we are currently spending on the Goal position, so adding Lehtonen who is making almost 2 mil more than Hiller really doesn't make any sense at all.

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Paul4587

Anaheim would absolutely do the Hiller/Lehtonen trade proposed. They get a #1LW to play with the twins or #2C to slot in behind Getzlaf (depending on where you want to use Benn), a clear upgrade in goal and a 1st for a goalie with 1 year left, a 3rd pairing defenseman with some upside and a potential middle 6 winger. Fasth could easily be moved elsewhere if we could get that package. It's beside the point though as Dallas would never in a million years make that trade.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Yeah, apart from those UFA rights not holding any value, they all favour the Ducks significantly.

As for the one with Colorado, EJ and Ryan likely have similar values. Landeskog is more valuable than either and completely untouchable. With Nashville, SK and Hornqvist are very different in value. Holland is probably relatively close to Blum. The Dallas one is especially weird. Lehtonen is a top-5 goalie in the league and signed a lot longer than Hiller. Jamie Benn is looking to be their face-of-the-franchise forward and far, far more valuable than Sbisa plus DSP. I don't think they'd take Ryan+DSP for him. Let alone adding anything on Dallas' side, which is also somewhat weird given there's a ton of difference between Nystrom and a 1st rounder. Same issue with the St. Louis proposal in that Steen and Sobotka aren't overly comparable. Also, the Blues are one of the last teams to give up assets for a top goaltending prospect in John Gibson as they have a fantastic young goalie in Jake Allen, themselves.

No offense, it's quite normal for fans of one team to overrate their own assets compaired to other teams', and to not be able to account for their needs. But there's definitely some way to go.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:22 AM
DigitalSea
Thank you Landon

If Dallas made that trade, I think the NHL would fire everyone and there would be riots in the streets.

DigitalSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:04 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Judging by Dallas' previous moves, I could see them taking that proposal.

That's not a compliment.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
Dallas one..... Oh wow.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Hampe
[spoons rattling]

Wow, that Stars proposal is absolutely brutal for Dallas. Brutal.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:55 PM
nbducksfan19

yikes, is this a joke? i hope no fans of other teams see these proposals.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:18 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
I thought that Dallas trade was brutal but the STL one is absolutely horrible. Yeah, Gibson is a good goalie but there's no way that he, Lombardi (!!!) and 3rd pick gets you Halak and Steen or Sobotka.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Yeaoh

Quote:

- Vancouver trade: They'd be pretty dumb to give up assets for UFAs.
- Colorado trade: If the Ducks managed to get that package back, Bob Murray would be GM of the century. No reason AT ALL for the Avs to do that.
- Nashville trade: Value is way off for the Preds. Holland has little value I believe and Lydman/Lovejoy are both UFAs.
- Dallas: This might even be worse than the Colorado trade. You wouldn't get Jamie Benn for that Ducks package, let alone the other assets.
- St. Louis trade: Why do we trade Gibson? For Halak? Why do we need him? And STL probably isn't hot on trading for an UFA like Lombardi...

I don't want to be a ******, but those proposals heavily favour the Ducks and not one of them is even close to being realistic.

As for draft day trades: I'd be very interested in trading Hiller for either Orpik (PIT) or Meszaros (PHI) and a pick. Or Hiller for a 1st rounder straight up. Also I'm hoping for a trade that gets Bobby Ryan out of Anaheim. Package would obviously depend on the team interested.

Yeaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I don't understand why some people are so eager to trade Hiller.

06-15-2013, 09:53 AM
JeffShibley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It has nothing to do with wether or not Hiller is better or worse than Fasth. it is just that we have 7.5 committed to the goal position next season and are up against the cap. 1 of the goalies needs to be traded and Hillers contract makes more sense.

What I don't understand is why it seems like people (including the op) think if we trade Hiller we are getting a starting goalie that makes as much or more $$$ than Hiller in return for Hiller in a trade which would totally defeat the purpose of trading him. I have seen 1 person write "the only way we trade Hiller is if we get Ryan Miller in return" which doesn't make any sense to me.

What make most sense is to trade Hiller. I'm not eager to get rid of him, it just makes most sense for the team to get rid of his contract so we can at least have a little breathing room to re-sign RFAs like Palmieri, and Beleskey, and maybe a cheap UFA.

a Goalie combo of Fasth/Andersen makes most sense to me. maybe not the most NHL experience, but both have a lot of hockey experience, and may be all we can afford under the cap with the new contracts of Getzlaf, Perry, Fasth etc...

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
The Sunshine Duke
Castleton Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffShibley View Post
It has nothing to do with wether or not Hiller is better or worse than Fasth. it is just that we have 7.5 committed to the goal position next season and are up against the cap. 1 of the goalies needs to be traded and Hillers contract makes more sense.

What I don't understand is why it seems like people (including the op) think if we trade Hiller we are getting a starting goalie that makes as much or more $$$ than Hiller in return for Hiller in a trade which would totally defeat the purpose of trading him. I have seen 1 person write "the only way we trade Hiller is if we get Ryan Miller in return" which doesn't make any sense to me.

What make most sense is to trade Hiller. I'm not eager to get rid of him, it just makes most sense for the team to get rid of his contract so we can at least have a little breathing room to re-sign RFAs like Palmieri, and Beleskey, and maybe a cheap UFA.

a Goalie combo of Fasth/Andersen makes most sense to me. maybe not the most NHL experience, but both have a lot of hockey experience, and may be all we can afford under the cap with the new contracts of Getzlaf, Perry, Fasth etc...
We're up against the cap, but with a full roster. To make major changes, yeah, we'd have to play tetris with salaries, but the more obvious candidate for that in my mind is Ryan, not Hiller.

It's not a ludicrous gamble to start the season with Fasth/Andersen, but it's a pretty serious leap. So I guess I'd only be on board with a Hiller trade if it was good enough to overcome the worst-case goaltending scenario with him off the roster.

The Sunshine Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:34 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
We're up against the cap, but with a full roster. To make major changes, yeah, we'd have to play tetris with salaries, but the more obvious candidate for that in my mind is Ryan, not Hiller.

It's not a ludicrous gamble to start the season with Fasth/Andersen, but it's a pretty serious leap. So I guess I'd only be on board with a Hiller trade if it was good enough to overcome the worst-case goaltending scenario with him off the roster.
I would assume a lot of the "trade Hiller" people want to a) keep Ryan and b) want a subsequent big piece (top line LW, first pair D, etc).

Old
06-15-2013, 10:41 AM
The Sunshine Duke
Castleton Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I would assume a lot of the "trade Hiller" people want to a) keep Ryan and b) want a subsequent big piece (top line LW, first pair D, etc).
Turns us into Pittsburgh, potentially. I mean it could work, but it might just be a waste of time.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

I don't want Hiller out of town as much as I want Ryan out of town but I do think trading Hiller makes sense for reasons totally different that trading Ryan. I think Bob made the commitment when he signed Fasth early on. At this point we might as well save some cap and get something in return (a pick or a prospect is fine). Could a Fasth/Andersen combo explode on us? I suppose it could. But nothing is a sure thing. And short of injury there is no indication that would be the outcome. There is no reason not to think Viktor can't be a 60+ game starter. And (based on his season in the A as well as his SEL experience) there is no reason to think Andersen can't fill in as a backup while he continues learning.

If you keep Hiller into next year, are you committed to signing him longer term and trading Fasth? And to those thinking you trade one at the trade deadline, well, you won't get squat for your then backup goalie.

So, I think trading Hiller makes sense but if Bob wants to keep both of them going into next season I will not be unhappy like I will be if Bobby is still here.

Johnny Caravella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:34 AM
The Sunshine Duke
Castleton Snob

I don't think Murray made a commitment to Fasth when he signed him. I think he was just exercising his policy of making damn sure we always have at least one good goalie on the roster after the Hiller/Emery/Ellis debacle of a few years ago.

So I don't think "might as well save some cap" will have any persuasive force in Murray's mind to move Hiller off the roster.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:40 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Turns us into Pittsburgh, potentially. I mean it could work, but it might just be a waste of time.
Yeah it's risky. And I don't subscribe to the "acquire big piece" movement. I actually would prefer more legitimate 2nd line depth (2 for 1 by moving Bobby).

I might like Hiller moved. I really just want the team to pick one and trade the other just because it would be better asset-wise. I don't want another Bryzgalov situation. But there seem to be a lot of goalies available, so the market might not be conducive to that.

The cap relief might be nice too, but I'd rather move Bobby for that.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
If we can get Lehtonen and Benn back Ill pack his bags lol. Other than that, I think Hiller is on the opening day roster as the starting goalie. Actually fairly confident in that.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Yeaoh

Quote:
Hiller has not been the same since his injury. He has shown flashes of his old self, but overall he was mediocre. He is not the type of goalie that will steal you any games, as a matter of fact I have a heart attack every time a shot is fired at Hiller. I want him moved so we can breathe again cap wise and maybe get an additional 2nd rounder for this very strong draft class. Way better than letting him ealk for nothing next summer. If we are REALLY lucky we might even get a late 1st rounder. But that is doubtful.
We are no contender next season anyway, so I don't see why we shouldn't start Fasth/Andersen in net. Besides, I don't think Bob Murray would have been able to re-sign Fasth if he hadn't assured him he was a starter next year.

Yeaoh is offline   Reply With Quote