HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MB press conference

Old
05-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Prust was too beaten up to be effective.

No coach will tell his players to fight, it's all implicit. You know as a player when in-game circumstances and particular use by the coach, put you in that position.

MacLean is a tool, however, how much of a mental midget is Therrien, to fall for dumb antics? "Oh, I never saw anyone call a time out with 17 seconds left!". "Gionta cried in my arms." "What about Eller's parents in the stands, no respect! I'll never accept that, NEVER!"

So what are you going to do about it, Therrien? Put your players in a position to get a spanking?

Therrien is a drama queen. He may have wanted to deflect attention away from himself, however, he did a poor job of it. Both Prust and Gorges felt compelled to target MacLean in ways most players don't -- I'd say that's largely a function of watching their own coach losing it on MacLean. It's a coach's job to keep things on an even keel. Therrien did a poor job at psychological warfare.
You obviously have an agenda and won't listen to logic so I won't bother any more.

Therien has been sending the 4th line on after goals against all year with no line brawl, not sure how that changes in game 3 of the playoffs?

You're right it was Therrien's fault that his goalies cost him 3 of 4 games in the series.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 05-15-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You obviously have an agenda and won't listen to logic so I won't bother any more.

Therien has been sending the 4th line on after gaols against all yaer with no line brawl, not sure how that changes in game 3 of the playoffs?

You're right it was Therrien's fault taht his goalies cosy him 3 of 4 games in the series.
Let's not personalize this. I have no agenda. You have your info, I have mine. We don't have to agree. Let's leave it at that.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Let's not personalize this. I have no agenda. You have your info, I have mine. We don't have to agree. Let's leave it at that.
So you watched the whole series and didn't see a HUGE gap in goaltending?

Old
05-14-2013, 05:36 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

I feel like Bergevin is going to focus on drafting and the "Chicago-model" but he's missing the Toews, Kane and Hossa... and Keith, Seabrook and Bolland.

They have Toews, we have Pleks.
They have Kane, we have Patches.
They have Hossa, we have Gionta (hah.).
They have Keith, we have Subban.
They have Seabrook, we have Emelin.
They have Bolland, we have Eller.

Clear downgrade at every position, except maybe Keith-Subban but that year Keith was a wrecking ball.

No problems with the Chicago-model but I do hope he knows what he's doing and doesn't waste Price and Patches until they're 30 to finally compete.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I feel like Bergevin is going to focus on drafting and the "Chicago-model" but he's missing the Toews, Kane and Hossa... and Keith, Seabrook and Bolland.

Clear downgrade at every position, except maybe Keith-Subban but that year Keith was a wrecking ball.

No problems with the Chicago-model but I do hope he knows what he's doing and doesn't waste Price and Patches until they're 30 to finally compete.
One very important thing though...
MB didn't draft/acquired any of these players.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Galchenyuk is something to be excited about. And I think we have an edge with Price and Subban at their respective positions. No doubt we aren't Chicago (they are stacked) but I feel a hell of a lot better about this team now than I did a year ago.

As for wasting Price... that's why I advocated for a rebuild long ago. We spun our wheels needlessly for years. Should've been rebuilding long before we did. But at least now we've got some top talent to build around.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

If Price plays to potential he can be a lot better than Niemi. I think Eller can be a lot better than Bolland if he keeps developping. Gallagher Galchenyuk Tinordi Beaulieu and maybe Kristo/Collberg could come in and be part of the core also.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Runner77

Quote:
It has everything to do with who won and lost. Great saves and bad goals provide momentum, when they are all going one direction it becomes like an avalanche.

Unless you're talking a powerhouse against a weakling, goaltending in a playoff series has a huge impact.
I don't see how it relates to our previous discussion about Therrien getting owned by MacLean.

There are subplots that coaches manufacture to try and gain an advantage.

I thought Therrien did a better job of keeping his emotions in check, during the regular season. Didn't like seeing him lose his cool to MacLean, who was eminently predictable and baited him repeatedly. That is all.

Last edited by Runner77: 05-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:03 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Not to mention he puts up more than double his production than Gomez during his last two seasons with the Habs.

Honestly people, this is getting ridiculous. DD is a solid player for a guy listed at 5'8". I want to see what he does in future POs cuz he played like absolute crap. But he doesn't "suck" or is at the Scott Gomez level.
i wont hide it...i dont like dd. but would you keeo him over any of the othet 3 centers who are bigger and better than him? i wouldnt and thars why i dont look forward to him playing for us in the future. we stil need him next year, MAYBE the year after as well...depending on the progression of galchy but as soon as he is ready, i want him off this team. will never win a cup with him imo.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:11 PM
SouthernHab

I hope Bergevin was watching tonight's game. The Pens showed that size does matter and they made Ottawa look weak.

Did anyone notice how effective Murray was at clearing the crease? Not bad for a 2nd round pick. Meanwhile , we will wait 4 or 5 years to see if our 2nd rounder even makes the NHL.

The Habs would have benefitted from Murray against Ottawa. He showed what he would have done.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:22 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I hope Bergevin was watching tonight's game. The Pens showed that size does matter and they made Ottawa look weak.

Did anyone notice how effective Murray was at clearing the crease? Not bad for a 2nd round pick. Meanwhile , we will wait 4 or 5 years to see if our 2nd rounder even makes the NHL.

The Habs would have benefitted from Murray against Ottawa. He showed what he would have done.
Do you think the Habs were one Murray away from being a contender?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Habs

Quote:

It makes sense to the casual fan, one day it will make sense to the powers running this team.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:33 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Do you think the Habs were one Murray away from being a contender?
Murray and More size at forward. I would say Clowe but I will read that he was injured but would he have been hurt playing in Montreal.

Murray is a physical force that would have helped the Habs.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:50 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Murray and More size at forward. I would say Clowe but I will read that he was injured but would he have been hurt playing in Montreal.

Murray is a physical force that would have helped the Habs.
The Habs aren't even close to being a contender. Our gm knows that and didn't want to dish out a 2nd for a vet on the blue line. He's sticking to his plan and that's fine by me.

We need size. But Murray was a band aid. This team has had way too many band aids over the years.

I want permanent, long term solutions. Murray looks good because he's playing on a stacked team.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
The Habs aren't even close to being a contender. Our gm knows that and didn't want to dish out a 2nd for a vet on the blue line. He's sticking to his plan and that's fine by me.

We need size. But Murray was a band aid. This team has had way too many band aids over the years.

I want permanent, long term solutions. Murray looks good because he's playing on a stacked team.
If I were GM, at my biggest concern is between the pipes after this playoff, then I tackle the smurf issue. Either Price was hurting all along, or he needs a bigger d to clear his crease.

I am really concerned about his play, and the fact he couldn't rebound.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Anderson didn't look like the same goalie. Let pucks trickle by him and a few bad rebounds. that was a big difference, plus Vokoun didn't give Ottawa gifts like our goalies did in most games.

Murray would have been useful but he will cost TWO 2nd rounders, not ONE. I'm glad MB didn't do that deal, not at this point. Maybe in a couple years once Galchenyuk is a top 6 guy and all the other pieces are in place. Pittsburgh is in a different situation, with their young guys all coming up for new deals and the cap coming down they probably won't have much cap space to add the next couple years.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I don't see how it relates to our previous discussion about Therrien getting owned by MacLean.

There are subplots that coaches manufacture to try and gain an advantage.

I thought Therrien did a better job of keeping his emotions in check, during the regular season. Didn't like seeing him lose his cool to MacLean, who was eminently predictable and baited him repeatedly. That is all.
You're trying to pain the series as being won by coaching which is comical to anybody who watched it and saw the calibre of goaltending Ottawa got and what we got.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:52 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Not really.
He put his third line on the ice with Bouillon and Tinordi.

After the face off, Smith did a double check to White after who responded with a slashing.
At that time White was already injured and so was Prust and Bouillon.

MT said that he always put his fourth line after a goal and was not looking for trouble.
White, Prust and Bouillon were injured.
What is the interest of starting a war you can not win?

It was Maclean who planned all this.
You can not blame him for planning this, he had the upper hand and with a score of 4-1, he was investing in the future.
So much that even Turris did double check Subban.

Pretending that Therrien asked for it is denied by the facts.
It was Maclean who wanted revenge. Just look at his face at the end of that game.
Maclean even kicked out Latendresse of the line-up on that game because he did not fight with White.
Quote:
I don't know where you're getting this. I heard several pundits confirm that Therrien put himself in the position of asking for it.

I acknowledge that there was an initial double check that White reacted to with a slash. The slash was over the top, should have responded in kind.

As for the rest, too many hockey insiders have confirmed that Therrien was trying to shake things up and send a message for the next game. I cannot manufacture that type of position just by watching the game from my living room. So I'll defer to those who have better access to info than I do.
Quote:

Therien has been sending the 4th line on after goals against all year with no line brawl, not sure how that changes in game 3 of the playoffs?

You're right it was Therrien's fault that his goalies cost him 3 of 4 games in the series.
Always sent out 4th line after getting scored on in many cases (not all). Hockey "insiders" obviously like to stir up some "drama" in the media by saying that and by using the events as they unfold as "facts".

Explain to me how Goalies cost him 3 of 5 games in the series. I could see Game 1 and Game 5, but everything else is a wash. Defensively the team did not paly well save for Game 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
i wont hide it...i dont like dd. but would you keeo him over any of the othet 3 centers who are bigger and better than him? i wouldnt and thars why i dont look forward to him playing for us in the future. we stil need him next year, MAYBE the year after as well...depending on the progression of galchy but as soon as he is ready, i want him off this team. will never win a cup with him imo.
Had we didn't have Eller on our team and Chucky was on the team playing 3rd line Centre, eventually I could see DD moving to 3rd line and Chucky moving up when he was ready for it.

I think we could win a SC with DD in the lineup. If you look at his stats and his play over the past two years overall, he's done a good job given his smurf-like size. The guy plays with some heart and is quite creative. It's just in a couple years, we'll have no room for him as younger more talented players will be ready to take his spot.

I think that's the difference, the fact that in two years Eller is going to be amazingly good and that Chucky will be really good for a 21 year old. No room for DD on a team like that.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:56 AM
MXD

Quote:

I hope he did, so he would pick big players with the 2nd rounders he kept.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:02 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Anderson didn't look like the same goalie. Let pucks trickle by him and a few bad rebounds. that was a big difference, plus Vokoun didn't give Ottawa gifts like our goalies did in most games.

Murray would have been useful but he will cost TWO 2nd rounders, not ONE. I'm glad MB didn't do that deal, not at this point. Maybe in a couple years once Galchenyuk is a top 6 guy and all the other pieces are in place. Pittsburgh is in a different situation, with their young guys all coming up for new deals and the cap coming down they probably won't have much cap space to add the next couple years.
One 2nd rounder since they probably won't re-sign Murray.

Bergevin is upholding the Canadiens tradition over the last two decades.

"We should be ready for a Cup run two years from now."

Old
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Always sent out 4th line after getting scored on in many cases (not all). Hockey "insiders" obviously like to stir up some "drama" in the media by saying that and by using the events as they unfold as "facts".

Explain to me how Goalies cost him 3 of 5 games in the series. I could see Game 1 and Game 5, but everything else is a wash. Defensively the team did not paly well save for Game 2.

Had we didn't have Eller on our team and Chucky was on the team playing 3rd line Centre, eventually I could see DD moving to 3rd line and Chucky moving up when he was ready for it.

I think we could win a SC with DD in the lineup. If you look at his stats and his play over the past two years overall, he's done a good job given his smurf-like size. The guy plays with some heart and is quite creative. It's just in a couple years, we'll have no room for him as younger more talented players will be ready to take his spot.

I think that's the difference, the fact that in two years Eller is going to be amazingly good and that Chucky will be really good for a 21 year old. No room for DD on a team like that.
Budaj was brutal in game 4, not really his faul as he was coming in cold, but he put the winner into his own net. If he makes the easy save maybe we win that game.

Boston won a cup, not only with Recchi(at 42) in the lineup but playing on their best line with Marchand on the other wing. The size thing gets way overblown. Dd may be trade bait in 2 years once Galchenyuk moves to center or maybe you move him to wing. Regardless, it's a good problem to have, depth is never a bad thing.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
One 2nd rounder since they probably won't re-sign Murray.

Bergevin is upholding the Canadiens tradition over the last two decades.

"We should be ready for a Cup run two years from now."
Unless Ottawa upsets Pittsburgh they'll pay 2x 2nd rounders. Even if they don't it's still a 3rd, two very good picks.

"The 2014 draft choice is conditional upon the Penguins winning two playoff rounds this year or the team re-signing Murray for the 2013-14 season. Should either event occur, the Sharks will receive the Penguins second round selection in 2014, should neither occur, the pick becomes a third-rounder." From TSN.ca

What is the point of making a half assed run this year or next then fading back into oblivion? The goal is long term sustained success.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
gusfring

Quote:

What is the point of making a half assed run this year or next then fading back into oblivion? The goal is long term sustained success.
We've heard this for what 10-12 years?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We've heard this for what 10-12 years?
It was obviously not from Bergevin. Gainey in 2009 said the goal was a cup that year, so you are not listening to the same press conferences as me.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:39 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Budaj was brutal in game 4, not really his faul as he was coming in cold, but he put the winner into his own net. If he makes the easy save maybe we win that game.

Boston won a cup, not only with Recchi(at 42) in the lineup but playing on their best line with Marchand on the other wing. The size thing gets way overblown. Dd may be trade bait in 2 years once Galchenyuk moves to center or maybe you move him to wing. Regardless, it's a good problem to have, depth is never a bad thing.
The OT winner in Game 4 is not Budaj's fault really, more like Budaj & Diaz' fault.

Recchi plays bigger than his size suggested as well. He is strong on the puck, goes to the net, hits, etc.

And I agree, depth is never a bad thing, even if he's a smurf :laugh

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote