HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Roster Building Thread Pick a Peck of Preferred Players

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Philly isn't trading Couturier for youth.
I don't think that's necessarily true. If we were to put together an impressive package of defensive prospects they might pull the trigger.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
I love Filppula. Watch him whenever the Wings are on and actually watched Detroit/Minnesota today from earlier this year to watch Johan Larsson, but always found myself watching Filppula... just a smart and skilled player. As for him in Buffalo, if he wants the rumoured $5 million+ then I don't think he's worth it. I understand the argument that with potential Vanek/Miller trades on top of a decent amount of cap space 5+ million really isn't much, but in Detroit Filppula is great as a complimentary player. If he came to Buffalo with a huge contract, he'd be forced into a top line role, and we've seen that experiment go bad. Not comparing Filppula's skill set to Leino's, they just had similar free agent situations.
Their skillsets are completely different. If Leino had Flip's smarts/skating abilities, we wouldn't be *****ing about the signing at all, and between him and Ott, I wouldn't be posting about replacing Hecht's presence.

Jame - you brought up Leino too, and while he's a good support player in the right situation, I don't see that situation presenting itself in Buffalo. When he was the LW on the checking line, he was the worst defensively of the trio, and otherwise he's only seen dedicated offensive minutes. He could turn out to be a useful third part of an already-successful C/W combination, but right now, we still have to put those units together.

Flip is like the center version of Sekera, he's always got a noticeable amount of skill, but it manifests itself in strong positional and defensive play as much as it does in point production.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Blitz
WANTED: Top-4 LHD...

Quote:
I love Filppula. Watch him whenever the Wings are on and actually watched Detroit/Minnesota today from earlier this year to watch Johan Larsson, but always found myself watching Filppula... just a smart and skilled player. As for him in Buffalo, if he wants the rumoured $5 million+ then I don't think he's worth it. I understand the argument that with potential Vanek/Miller trades on top of a decent amount of cap space 5+ million really isn't much, but in Detroit Filppula is great as a complimentary player. If he came to Buffalo with a huge contract, he'd be forced into a top line role, and we've seen that experiment go bad. Not comparing Filppula's skill set to Leino's, they just had similar free agent situations.
Agree that Filppula @ $5M is too high... That said, I compliance buy out Leino in a second and give his $4.5M/yr (for 5yrs) to Flip without batting an eye though...

Old
06-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
I'm comfortable overpaying Flip for, say, 3 years but he's probably looking at being overpaid over 5 years from some team. Not sure I'd want to do that. There's nothing wrong with burning up cap space during this transition period but we're going to need it to lock down the next group of core players as well as augment the roster with UFAs when it's time to take the next step.

The thing is we really need a player like him, not only if we want to be a good team (which isn't everyone's goal for next season obviously) but also to provide room for guys like Hodgson to breathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Flip is like the center version of Sekera, he's always got a noticeable amount of skill, but it manifests itself in strong positional and defensive play as much as it does in point production.
Pretty solid analogy.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I feel the same way about Flip as Jame does about Bickell. If you view his intelligence and experience as fundamentally important to helping the kids along, whats an extra 800k in cap space?

Old
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Ehrhoff and either Vanek or Miller for Couturier.

Floated it on the trade board. . . not much of a response, but all responses called it an overpayment.

I don't think so. I'd make that trade, and take 50% of the year's contract for either Miller or Vanek.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I feel the same way about Flip as Jame does about Bickell. If you view his intelligence and experience as fundamentally important to helping the kids along, whats an extra 800k in cap space?
I can see this argument too. I guess I wouldn't really hate it, as long as the Sabres used him properly... but I'm not all that confident they would use their potentially highest paid forward (if Vanek got dealt, otherwise second highest) in a prime version Hecht role.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:41 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post

Floated it on the trade board. . . not much of a response, but all responses called it an overpayment.

I don't think so. I'd make that trade, and take 50% of the year's contract for either Miller or Vanek.
That's overpaying for Couturier (and I'm a big fan of his).

Old
06-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Rasmus Reichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post

I would LOVE to get couts but ehrhoff + vanek at 50% is a HUGE overpayment

Old
06-10-2013, 12:17 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
I can see this argument too. I guess I wouldn't really hate it, as long as the Sabres used him properly... but I'm not all that confident they would use their potentially highest paid forward (if Vanek got dealt, otherwise second highest) in a prime version Hecht role.
So... first line winger?

Flip would either center a two-way line seeing top competition a-la Roy his last year here, or support Hodgson defensively on the first line.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:51 AM
SlugLife978

Completely spit-balling here, but does anyone think that something could be worked out with L.A. around Vanek+ for Toffoli + cap dump? The Kings need scoring. The Sabres need talented youth. And I'm sure that Vanek would have no problem re-upping with a legitimate contender like L.A.

Thoughts?

Old
06-10-2013, 01:48 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugLife978 View Post
Completely spit-balling here, but does anyone think that something could be worked out with L.A. around Vanek+ for Toffoli + cap dump? The Kings need scoring. The Sabres need talented youth. And I'm sure that Vanek would have no problem re-upping with a legitimate contender like L.A.

Thoughts?
I would do something like Toffoli + Bernier. He'd be nice to have with Enroth. LA Fans probably say no to this though.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:01 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
I would do something like Toffoli + Bernier. He'd be nice to have with Enroth. LA Fans probably say no to this though.
The Kings barely averaged 2 goals a game in the postseason.If they want to think about going back to the finals, they need to add another elite scoring threat to contend with Chicago in the West.That would be a proposal I would be interested in, Toffoli and Bernier for Vanek with half his salary retained.The Kings need to add an elite goal scorer like Vanek.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
That's overpaying for Couturier (and I'm a big fan of his).
I don't see it that way. Buffalo's rebuilding. Couturier could be a huge part of a future contender.

Vanek and Ehrhoff could play a role for that team. But Vanek could be gone. So I don't see it as a huge overpayment. Maybe Philly adds in a pick.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Prospector74

I think this can be worked out but Kings fans will scream no. They will say Toffoli already worth more than Vanek alone. Additionally, some have said Van not worth his cap hit to Kings in new contract. Also, some have said Bernier is a better trade for other teams than Miller. .

Old
06-10-2013, 10:17 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Jordan Staal got Sutter + 8 + Dumoulin. Vanek is more valuable than Staal. And that is with only one team bidding. Toffoli = Sutter. Now they need to come up with assets that = 8 overall and Dumoulin to even start discussing Vanek.

Don't give me the "one year of Vanek" line. Whoever trades for him is going to know if they can resign him, and they will. Some of these proposals are absurd.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:24 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Jordan Staal got Sutter + 8 + Dumoulin. Vanek is more valuable than Staal. And that is with only one team bidding. Toffoli = Sutter. Now they need to come up with assets that = 8 overall and Dumoulin to even start discussing Vanek.

Don't give me the "one year of Vanek" line. Whoever trades for him is going to know if they can resign him, and they will. Some of these proposals are absurd.
Seriously. I get so tired of hearing a 5th, a 4th, and half a cheeseburger for Miller and Vanek at half salary plus an apology for being Buffalo. That and Jame saying the return would've been better if we just took Miller out back and shot him first.

We're supposed to be the Buffalo board, people! I'd prefer we err on the side of dreaming big! This is depressing. No wonder Regier always gets credit for being a trade genius - we've convinced ourselves that the whole roster is worth nothing.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post

I don't think that's true. 25 year old centers that play a complete game are valued much more in a franchise building sense, than a goal scoring winger...

JStaal was also a unique situation, in terms of Carolina knowing they could re-sign him as that is where he wanted to go.

I understand that you're insistence in writing off the "1 year factor" is necessary to mask your ignorance of the impact that it actually has.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Seriously. I get so tired of hearing a 5th, a 4th, and half a cheeseburger for Miller and Vanek at half salary plus an apology for being Buffalo. That and Jame saying the return would've been better if we just took Miller out back and shot him first.

We're supposed to be the Buffalo board, people! I'd prefer we err on the side of dreaming big! This is depressing. No wonder Regier always gets credit for being a trade genius - we've convinced ourselves that the whole roster is worth nothing.
I'd prefer we just be rational

Old
06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'd prefer we just be rational
You and I, we'll settle this score only once Miller gets traded. If Miller only returns a handful of secondary assets (late picks and busted prospects), you win. If we can get even one top flight prospect coming back, I'm taking this to the bank.

Even if goaltending is as worthless as you constantly shriek about, you need other GMs to believe it, too.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:42 AM
stokes84

Quote:
I don't think that's true. 25 year old centers that play a complete game are valued much more in a franchise building sense, than a goal scoring winger...

JStaal was also a unique situation, in terms of Carolina knowing they could re-sign him as that is where he wanted to go.

I understand that you're insistence in writing off the "1 year factor" is necessary to mask your ignorance of the impact that it actually has.
Darcy isn't going to trade him to a team that views him as a one year rental. He has options.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:

Jordan Staal had 1 year left too, same as Vanek. Staal still hasn't scored more then 50 points in a season and was straight garbage this season no defending that. Even with only hitting 50 points once, Carolina decided to give him 60 million . Vanek > Staal. If Jason Pominville can return what he did then Vanek will bring even more. Even with the extra postseason run Vanek is worth more, it's simple, 35 goal scorers are extremely rare and valuable. Any King fan that wouldn't trade Toffoli and Bernier for Vanek can take solace in not being able to compete with Chicago because they had little offense this playoffs. Acquiring a guy like Vanek, who has 7 goals in his last 10 playoff games would change that.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If the Kings think that spending a but-ton of assets on Thomas Vanek is more important than replacing Willie Mitchell, Lombardi isn't half the GM I thought he was.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
stokes84

I know Millertto the Blues has been done to death, but I wonder if there are other options there, specifically getting Shattenkirk. Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Stewart and Berglund are all RFA and are all going to command substantial raises. I imagine Pietrangelo is going to be $7 million+ per year and Shattenkirk will probably be in the $5 million year range. J-Bo is already making more than $6 mil/per, I'm just not sure they can justify paying that much to their defense.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:04 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I've been beating this drum forever, but if they decide to pay their top 3 defense 20ish million, taking Roman Polak's 2.75 cap hit off their bottom pairing would be pretty sweet. He's an excellent defensive defenseman with an underrated physical presence and is a decent fighter. He's stuck on their bottom pairing because of his handedness, otherwise he'd be shutting down top lines across from Pietrangelo. He and Sekera would be monstrous together in a dedicated shutdown role, or he could help Ehrhoff bring down his goals against figures.

Shattenkirk shouldn't be the best defensive player on his pairing, and we've already got two of those types in our top four in Myers and Ehrhoff.

Closed Thread