HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

John Tavares vs Jonathan Toews

View Poll Results: Tavares vs Toews
Tavares 144 54.34%
Toews 121 45.66%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Sky04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Oh, there it is.... I was waiting for it.... the old "Oh the Western Conference gets no respect" canned BS.

Notice I said it's painfully obvious "who" doesn't watch the Islanders in this thread. You left out that important word there. Case in point, the bolded statement above. And Toews had a whopping 1 point more than Tavares.... one point more than a HART candidate that doesn't have Pat Kane or Marian Hossa to take pressure off of him.
1 more point while playing miles and miles better defensively, that's pretty sad on Tavares part who has no other responsibilities except to score. The guy averages a whooping 5 seconds on the PK/game.

It's painfully obvious who doesn't watch the Western Conference. I assume you guys think Tavares is better then Datsyuk too?

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Moulson's been productive for 3 years now and nobody on the Islanders has been able to kick him off the top line. We heard the same crap about how Parenteau was being carried by Tavares and then he went and had a big year with a different team in the more defensive-minded conference. At what point can we stop pretending Moulson is an AHL plug as a way to pump Tavares?
Its because Moulson is that 9th round pick/journeyman guy so people dont give him much credit, he is such seen as the guy who leeches off Tavares. If he was a 1st round pick that had a great junior career, he might get more respect.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Dominate Kesler

Tavares.

Right now it's pretty close. But do people realize Tavares is 3 years younger? Last time I checked, that's a pretty significant gap. Tavares will only get better.

Toews is blessed to play on a stacked (offensive) team. Just imagine Tavares on that type of team.

Dominate Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

As a Wings fan this ones easy. Its Toews pretty easily.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Tavares.

Right now it's pretty close. But do people realize Tavares is 3 years younger? Last time I checked, that's a pretty significant gap. Tavares will only get better.

Toews is blessed to play on a stacked (offensive) team. Just imagine Tavares on that type of team.
Get better? you mean like scoring 30 points in the playoffs, then leading Canada in scoring at the Olympics at age 22? wait isn't that how old Tavares is right now?

And He'll only be 2 years younger in a couple mouths, not that it matters, 3 years isn't that big a gap anyways. Imagine Tavares with defensive responsibilities and playing a system that doesn't feed it only to him, his totals don't increase by more then 10 points tops playing with allstar linemates, it's such an overused excuse.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:16 PM
bluefan

vCash: 159
/looks at Toews Triple Gold Club card

I'll take Toews. Seems to always be a part of those winning teams.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:26 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Get better? you mean like scoring 30 points in the playoffs, then leading Canada in scoring at the Olympics at age 22? wait isn't that how old Tavares is right now?

And He'll only be 2 years younger in a couple mouths, not that it matters, 3 years isn't that big a gap anyways. Imagine Tavares with defensive responsibilities and playing a system that doesn't feed it only to him, his totals don't increase by more then 10 points tops playing with allstar linemates, it's such an overused excuse.
Tavares is very good defensively, stop commenting like he is awful defensively. You don't watch him play, and its painfully obvious. Just because he doesn't play the PK means nothing, in the last 5 minutes of a game if they are up 1 goal or down 1 goal he is getting more ice time than any forward on the team, without question.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Tavares is very good defensively, stop commenting like he is awful defensively. You don't watch him play, and its painfully obvious. Just because he doesn't play the PK means nothing, in the last 5 minutes of a game if they are up 1 goal or down 1 goal he is getting more ice time than any forward on the team, without question.
Very good defensively? Mid season Islanders fans were saying he was passable/average now he's "very good"? Either way he's far inferior to Toews in this regard, and offensively it's a wash at best, easy decision here.

At least when Toews was getting overrated he had his defensive game, winning pedigree and a Conn Symthe.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:46 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Very good defensively? Mid season Islanders fans were saying he was passable/average now he's "very good"? Either way he's far inferior to Toews in this regard, and offensively it's a wash at best, easy decision here.

At least when Toews was getting overrated he had his defensive game, winning pedigree and a Conn Symthe.
His first couple years he was poor defensively, over the past 2 seasons he has gotten much better defensively. Sure Toews is much better defensively, right now atleast, who knows what Tavares will be like down the road. Offensively I give the edge to Tavares now and in the future.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
here come the

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
His first couple years he was poor defensively, over the past 2 seasons he has gotten much better defensively. Sure Toews is much better defensively, right now atleast, who knows what Tavares will be like down the road. Offensively I give the edge to Tavares now and in the future.
Please provide statistical evidence on how Tavares is better offensively now, not just gut feelings

here come the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Quokka

I would take Toews. However, I think you need to take into consideration the defence on each team and not just the linemates of each player. Chicago's D seems to be much better at transitioning out of their zone and getting the puck to the forwards than the Islanders D. For that reason, I would rank Tavares ahead of Toews offensively.

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Lebowski

Tavares is approaching Forsbergian territory in term of overratedness. There's not a single legitimate argument that puts him over Toews at this point in time.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
I would take Toews. However, I think you need to take into consideration the defence on each team and not just the linemates of each player. Chicago's D seems to be much better at transitioning out of their zone and getting the puck to the forwards than the Islanders D. For that reason, I would rank Tavares ahead of Toews offensively.
How about taking a few other things into consideration? Like how Toews plays significantly less PP and ES time. Or how he plays in a more defensive system. Or how he has to share the puck with some other great players and doesn't have the luxury of the entire offence running through him. Arguments can be made both ways, all we can do is look at their actual offensive production.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
How about taking a few other things into consideration? Like how Toews plays significantly less PP and ES time. Or how he plays in a more defensive system. Or how he has to share the puck with some other great players and doesn't have the luxury of the entire offence running through him. Arguments can be made both ways, all we can do is look at their actual offensive production.
You continue to put things perfectly, and I've yet to see someone really respond to you with any sort of genuine, good argument.

When Tavares does a single thing clearly better than Toews, let me know. Until then the better player is pretty obviously the latter guy.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
1 more point while playing miles and miles better defensively, that's pretty sad on Tavares part who has no other responsibilities except to score. The guy averages a whooping 5 seconds on the PK/game.

It's painfully obvious who doesn't watch the Western Conference. I assume you guys think Tavares is better then Datsyuk too?
Every single Tavares thread... you show up spewing hate. Seriously, did he get your sister pregnant or something? It's borderline creepy

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Jester9881

No one understands.... they think they know.... but they don't.... they don't.

I'm not saying either player is better than the other. But the ignorance in this thread is sad. I wish people would stop making threads involving Tavares, because until people actually watch the Islanders more than a handful of times, they're just not going to get it.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Lebowski

I'm sure most people "get" the idea that Tavares stll hasn't reached his full potential, but that doesn't make him a better player right now. Some people are starting to put him in the same category as Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos while he has done absolutely nothing to warrant this kind of recognition. He's overrated because he had a lot of hype coming into the league and never quite reached it.

At this point in time, he's a wash at best with Toews offensively while being significantly worse in every other aspects that hockey involves. How can people think he's better than Toews right now is mind boggling.

And I have no horse in this race.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
No one understands.... they think they know.... but they don't.... they don't.

I'm not saying either player is better than the other. But the ignorance in this thread is sad. I wish people would stop making threads involving Tavares, because until people actually watch the Islanders more than a handful of times, they're just not going to get it.
This is the second time you have said this in this thread. I asked you after the first time you said it, where you called my post ignorant, where exactly I was being ignorant and you did not respond. So I will ask you again. What did I say that was ignorant? John Tavares, at this point in his career, is a one dimensional forward. He is a offence first forward who is winning a poll against a Selke candidate who outscored him this season. That is ridiculous. Please, explain what I am missing here.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:46 PM
kammyBlazer*

Tavares is basically crosby-lite.

Toews is like Yzerman-lite.

Tavares every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

kammyBlazer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:52 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
comparing them to two other players... one just doesn't play anymore..

Old
05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post

Can't argue with that reasoning. I am convinced.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:13 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Lol Toews 10 times out of 10.

I don't understand how Tavares is winning this poll AT ALL.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Can't argue with that reasoning. I am convinced.
shut up chelios you ugly *******.

I guess it's all preference, and I perfer Tavares. Although I perfer Toews for Canada's Olympic team..

Old
05-14-2013, 07:22 PM
MichaelDelNotto
Likes Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
West says Toews, East says Tavares.
I like a team in the East and I voted Toews.

MichaelDelNotto is offline   Reply With Quote