HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 14 • Latvia 2, Finland 3 (OT)

Old
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
smi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeltaja View Post
I found it absolutely hilarious that Jalonen stated that (correctly) that the biggest problem for the team was between the ears (or was it 'above the shoulders', in any case...).

And whose job was it after all to make sure that wouldn't happen? I mean unless coach has other duties in addition to chewing gum and walking to-and-forth behind the bench for 90 minutes or so...
If Kontiola (for example) decides he's too good to show up against Latvia, I think the blame is on Kontiola himself and not anybody else.

Last edited by smi: 05-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.
smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeltaja View Post
I found it absolutely hilarious that Jalonen stated that (correctly) that the biggest problem for the team was between the ears (or was it 'above the shoulders', in any case...).

And whose job was it after all to make sure that wouldn't happen? I mean unless coach has other duties in addition to chewing gum and walking to-and-forth behind the bench for 90 minutes or so...
Well, short of hypnotizing the players there's is not much you can do against mainly subconscious relaxation before a relatively non-important match against a much weaker opponent. There is also the factor that in such a situation players might be slightly cautious and afraid of injuries before the play-offs (I think Aravirta mentioned this possibility during the second intermission).

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
EkiE

Pillu got wet in time, gj pillu and goodgame latvia!

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

The Latvian goalie was still a pretty young kid, so in the end it's no wonder that getting some Pillu was more important for him than winning the game.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
The Latvian goalie was still a pretty young kid, so in the end it's no wonder that getting some Pillu was more important for him than winning the game.
You know, I dream about the day when we can retire this joke... Of course, it will never come, I know, never.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Yeah, the kids' 20 years old and he's played 4 games here, out of which 2 wins 1 loss in OT and 1 loss. A nice record for Latvia vs France, Slovakia, Germany and Finland. He allowed some not that tricky goals but at least team managed to win some with him in the net...

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
This is just silly. Canada-Sweden is anyway a fifty-sixty game (as we say in Finland) and Slovakia is a considerably easier opponent than this year's USA. We are not such a hockey superpower that we can disregard an easier quarterfinal opponent because of a possible semi-final match-up. Today the Czechs looked positively scary, and I would say that they are a slight favourite against Switzerland.

And of course unlike some Nordic countries, that I could name, there is the small thing that Finland DOES NOT throw games.
Also, whether people admit it or not right now, the fact is that Finland's tournament will be judged purely on a result of one single game and that is that the quarterfinal.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Yeah, the kids' 20 years old and he's played 4 games here, out of which 2 wins 1 loss in OT and 1 loss. A nice record for Latvia vs France, Slovakia, Germany and Finland. He allowed some not that tricky goals but at least team managed to win some with him in the net...
It's nice to see how young goalies like Gudļevskis, Raanta and Gibson are doing in this tournament. Goalie's spot is the one that requires most experience (keeping level and concentration up), but these guys have shown that it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be old.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Wasted Talent

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Antti Pihlström is nicknamed Pillu. Pillu is a Finnish word for this thing females have between their legs. It was not a stab at Latvian goalie.

Wasted Talent is offline   Reply With Quote