HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

seeking feedback on recruit rankings.

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Funkymoses

vCash: 500
seeking feedback on recruit rankings.

Hi. I'm attempting to hack together a list of the top 50 recruits entering the NCAA next year. My current draft is up here:
http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2005/05/...ationwide.html

Now, I haven't seen probably 60% of the list so I wouldn't call it authoritative. If you see something wrong with it, please point it out. Thanks.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Joey13

I think that is a fantastic list. I'll be a homer for a second and add DU recuit, Chris Butler from Sioux City of the USHL. He was an All-USHL First Team defenseman - the other was Brett Motherwell who you have at # 9. I realize Butler is a stay-at-home type defensemen but I think North Dakota fans can appreciate how important they are in the WCHA. Plus, he'll have the DU coaching staff, Matt Carle and Brett Skinner to learn from. Otherwise, superb job!!

Old
05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Funky:

That's a great list, but shouldn't Ryan Stoa be listed higher than 14th? Everything I've read about this kid has been very good. Some reports say that he could be a blue-chipper. I know that the CSB's mid-term rankings had him as a possible first rounder in the (if it happens) Draft.

Old
05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Funkymoses

Butler is a guy I missed. He'll be on the revised list. I'm not sure where just yet but he'll be there.

On Stoa, I heard a lot of conflicting reports on him. He has good numbers but some guys whose opinions I respect didn't like him very much. That and that 11-20 range is really, really crowded. I think there's a ton of talent coming into the NCAA in this class. Stoa might get buried a bit at Minnesota with Kessel, Wheeler, Okposo, and Mueller, and how do you go against Sterling and Sertich's heir apparent? He was a guy I was unsure about, though... if you know of anything that can shed more light on him I'd love to hear it.

Old
05-13-2005, 12:04 AM
dafranchz

Quote of the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses' take on Blake Wheeler
...And Wayne Gretzky reportedly knows something about hockey.

Go Blue!

Old
05-13-2005, 09:07 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey13
I think that is a fantastic list. I'll be a homer for a second and add DU recuit, Chris Butler from Sioux City of the USHL. He was an All-USHL First Team defenseman - the other was Brett Motherwell who you have at # 9. I realize Butler is a stay-at-home type defensemen but I think North Dakota fans can appreciate how important they are in the WCHA. Plus, he'll have the DU coaching staff, Matt Carle and Brett Skinner to learn from. Otherwise, superb job!!
You are going to love Butler. He busts his ass out there about as much as he is a pain in that same area for other teams. He should easily beef up to 2 bills by the time he is a sophomore, and he has decent offensive skills as well. Great signing for DU.

Old
05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
I like the list, but I personally think Bostrom (Sioux City) at the U of M and Gorowski (Sioux Falls) at Wisconsin are both going to be better than where they were picked. Also, did Joe Finley of Sioux Falls decide to play another year with the Stampede or did he sign somewhere? His size alone should merrit some sort of ranking if he did. He came along big time this year, and if he can work on getting his slap shot off quicker, he could be another Chris Pronger.

Old
05-13-2005, 11:13 AM
mooseOAK*

How about Pierce Norton with Providence? He was a first team all star in the New England Div. I prep league.

Old
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 581
Not sure where'd you put him but Michael Olson from Nanaimo (BCHL) and headed to SCSU was named Candian Junior Amatuer Hockey League Player of the Year.
Former winners include Mike Comrie, Dany Heatley, Junior Lessard, Tyler Brosz, Jeff Tambellini

Old
05-13-2005, 03:31 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Excellent list! great job. Great read, thank you.

Glad to see the props for Motherwell, I really like that kid, Gorowsky will be a good one.

Another one to think of.

Goaltender Drew O'Connell of Waterloo going to CC.

Old
05-13-2005, 04:37 PM
TMHUNH

The link doesn't work for me

I would like to see the list and could likely give you some feedback.

1 question....did you rank them on their pro potential or collegiate potential?...there is a big difference.

Old
05-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Goaltender Drew O'Connell of Waterloo going to CC.
I didn't rank any goalies for the list. TMUNH: that was probably blogspot being down temporarily. Try it again. Its a collegiate list, not an NHL list.

I will take a look at Olson and Norton.

Old
05-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Perry91502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
How about Pierce Norton with Providence? He was a first team all star in the New England Div. I prep league.
New England Prep School is NOT what is used to be.

Rob Ricci (C, Cedar Rapids USHL), should be ranked higher than Norton. I have seen both play. Ricci plays in a much mroe competitve league, had better numbers, and was a team captain (also MVP of the USHL All Star game).

North will get lost in the college ranks.

Old
05-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4check22
I like the list, but I personally think Bostrom (Sioux City) at the U of M and Gorowski (Sioux Falls) at Wisconsin are both going to be better than where they were picked. Also, did Joe Finley of Sioux Falls decide to play another year with the Stampede or did he sign somewhere? His size alone should merrit some sort of ranking if he did. He came along big time this year, and if he can work on getting his slap shot off quicker, he could be another Chris Pronger.
Finley hasn't committed to anyone yet so I assume that he is an '06 recruit.

Old
05-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Funkymoses

Olson scored a PPG in the BCHL but is older than dirt, an '84. That kind of production has to be expected from a guy much older than most of the league and the BCHL is a wide open league that doesn't often have its huge point totals translate to NCAA play. I don't think he should be included.

Old
05-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
Olson scored a PPG in the BCHL but is older than dirt, an '84. That kind of production has to be expected from a guy much older than most of the league and the BCHL is a wide open league that doesn't often have its huge point totals translate to NCAA play. I don't think he should be included.

being 21 doesn't make him "older than dirt" it just means he developed later, it happens, look at Mark Hartigan for example

Old
05-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Funkymoses

That is true to some extent, but for every Mark Hartigan there are many older kids who just don't make the transition to NCAA hockey very well. Olson may defy the odds, but the odds say that a PPG in the BCHL at 21 is not likely to translate to the NCAA level.

I've updated the list and added a breakdown of it by team and junior league.

Old
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
That is true to some extent, but for every Mark Hartigan there are many older kids who just don't make the transition to NCAA hockey very well. Olson may defy the odds, but the odds say that a PPG in the BCHL at 21 is not likely to translate to the NCAA level.

I've updated the list and added a breakdown of it by team and junior league.

Funky: First off, props to you on this. It looks great and is very informative, especially the league/team breakdowns. It's gives a very nice bird's eye view of where these kids are coming from and where they're going. One question (or rather need a claification) I did have though. You mentioned that you had no idea and/or had info about the kids going the Ivies. Are you saying that you do not know whose coming into these programs this fall or is it that you are lacking sufficient info (i.e. scouting report info) on the players coming in? I was a bit a confused on that one. Please clarify.

Old
05-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Funky: First off, props to you on this. It looks great and is very informative, especially the league/team breakdowns. It's gives a very nice bird's eye view of where these kids are coming from and where they're going. One question (or rather need a claification) I did have though. You mentioned that you had no idea and/or had info about the kids going the Ivies. Are you saying that you do not know whose coming into these programs this fall or is it that you are lacking sufficient info (i.e. scouting report info) on the players coming in? I was a bit a confused on that one. Please clarify.
I found almost no information on players in the Eastern prep schools and the EJHL, and those areas traditionally provide the vast bulk of the talent entering the ECAC and Hockey East. As a result only four players from Eastern Prep and the EJHL ended up in the list: Ferrerio, Yandle, Pollastrone, and Kunes. I have a feeling that I'm missing four or five players from the east, because I don't honestly think that 75% of the top 50 kids are going to the WCHA and CCHA and that only 8% of the top 50 kids are playing out east right now.

That what I meant in the breakdown... I think more eastern kids should be on the list but can't find much that would justify their inclusion. Another informed poster posted his list on USCHO which was equally devoid of eastern guys, though, so maybe it's just a really bad year for them. I'm not sure.

Old
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I found almost no information on players in the Eastern prep schools and the EJHL, and those areas traditionally provide the vast bulk of the talent entering the ECAC and Hockey East. As a result only four players from Eastern Prep and the EJHL ended up in the list: Ferrerio, Yandle, Pollastrone, and Kunes. I have a feeling that I'm missing four or five players from the east, because I don't honestly think that 75% of the top 50 kids are going to the WCHA and CCHA and that only 8% of the top 50 kids are playing out east right now.

That what I meant in the breakdown... I think more eastern kids should be on the list but can't find much that would justify their inclusion. Another informed poster posted his list on USCHO which was equally devoid of eastern guys, though, so maybe it's just a really bad year for them. I'm not sure.
I knew that the WCHA has some top quality players coming in but I didn't think that the CCHA overall had that many. I've read about virtually all of the CCHA team's incoming players but many don't have what, according to many of the scouting reports that I've read, could be considered as "top notch" talent coming in. Some have maybe one blue-chipper but the rest is of the "average to above average" variety.

BTW, I find most of the info that I'm looking for on the Eastern prep and EJHL kids on the USHR site. They seem to give the most indepth info, particularly on individual high-end talent. Both the EJHL and the Eastern Prep Leagues have their own websites, but neither is as informative as USHR. Also, the NEPSHA (New England Prep School Association) site most of the time only provide stats, so I usually end up going to the respective school's athletics site to find the info (where one is available). I've also found that the New Engalnd Hockey Journal (most of the nice folks from that site post over on the Bruins forum here at HF) is also a good source. If you need some links, let me know and I'll see what I can provide for you. I've got many of these sites bookmarked for research purposes, so I'd be happy to help you out if I can.

Old
05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Funkymoses

well, other than Michigan you have 3 at MSU, 2 at Ferris, and one at UAF, Miami, LSSU and BG. All of them have very good credentials except maybe Gentile at MSU and Schwab of LSSU... and I got a very detailed email from an LSSU guy comparing and contrasting Chris Hahn, a Maine recruit, and Schwab which was convincing.

I'd like to see those links, though. I'm going to do one more revision in a little while and then put it to bed. I know of USHR and use it... the others, though, I was unaware of. Anything you've got would be helpful.

Closed Thread