HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Times Pulled in NHL History?

Old
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Most Times Pulled in NHL History?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew the Top 5 or 10 for this statistic? I figure it may be Brodeur overall #1 just due to longevity, but I wasn't sure.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:20 AM
seventieslord

I would imagine there is a great correlation between career gp and number of times pulled. For post expansion goalies, that is.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

I would begin my search with any goalie that played a lot of games for Iron Mike.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Epsilon
In Ken We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
I would begin my search with any goalie that played a lot of games for Iron Mike.
Came in to post this.

For the reason seventieslord mentioned, a more informative stat might be starts/times pulled.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:31 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Came in to post this.

For the reason seventieslord mentioned, a more informative stat might be starts/times pulled.
Yeah, that is a pretty good point.

I wonder how it must have felt to be the first goalie pulled in a given era

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
pdd

Arturs Irbe, Peter Sidorkiewicz, Ed Belfour, and Byron Dafoe might be good starting points.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
MuzikMachine

Mike Keenan was infamous for pulling his goalies mid-game, only to have them come in a few minutes later, makes you wonder if a goalie who played under him for an extended period of time might have a higher number of pulls than the average? While with the Blues, Grant Fuhr played 79 and 73 games in the 95-96 & 96-97 seasons respectively – probably a few pulls in there.
How would that stat even be measured, other than going by a game-by-game history? I’m guessing “pulls” isn’t a stat that’s easily measured. Would you look at teams stats and add the number of total games the goaltenders played, anything over the number of games in a season is the number of games there were multiple goaltenders?
For example, the 1995-96 Blues:
Grant Fuhr – 79 GP
Bruce Racine – 11 GP
Jon Casey – 9 GP
Pat Jablonski – 1 GP
Total GP for the goaltenders – 100
Total Season GP – 82 --> 18 GP with multiple goalies (still don’t know who)

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I recall one time when Keenan pulled Belfour. When Belfour was on the bench, Keenan grabbed his sweater by the front collar, leaned over and said some likely nasty things. What ever Belfour did, he did not deserve that kind of treatment.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Mike Keenan was infamous for pulling his goalies mid-game, only to have them come in a few minutes later, makes you wonder if a goalie who played under him for an extended period of time might have a higher number of pulls than the average? While with the Blues, Grant Fuhr played 79 and 73 games in the 95-96 & 96-97 seasons respectively – probably a few pulls in there.
How would that stat even be measured, other than going by a game-by-game history? I’m guessing “pulls” isn’t a stat that’s easily measured. Would you look at teams stats and add the number of total games the goaltenders played, anything over the number of games in a season is the number of games there were multiple goaltenders?
For example, the 1995-96 Blues:
Grant Fuhr – 79 GP
Bruce Racine – 11 GP
Jon Casey – 9 GP
Pat Jablonski – 1 GP
Total GP for the goaltenders – 100
Total Season GP – 82 --> 18 GP with multiple goalies (still don’t know who)
Well, what we do know is that Bruce Racine replaced Jon Casey in one game that season, and Jablonski's only game was in relief of Fuhr. Casey had two full games, the start where Racine replaced him, and (as far as I can tell) at most two other starts where Fuhr played. Casey and Fuhr shared six games, at least four of which I can say definitively Fuhr started.

Racine played every single game in relief, although he did play 57 minutes in one game (Fuhr was pulled under 4 minutes in after only one goal). Racine also suffered a pull, being yanked after one goal on five shots in just under ten minutes of play in a 7-3 blowout. Fuhr gave up 6; 3 before Racine and 3 after, and therefore Racine was charged with the loss.

So we have 11-13 pulls for Fuhr, 1 for Racine, 1-3 for Casey, and 0 for Jablonski. Jablonski was traded soon after his 1 game to Montreal for J.J. Daigneault; which was the most valuable thing he could have done for the Blues.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote