HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VI: The 2013 Playoffs Edition, Round 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 01:17 PM
The Couturier Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Talking to some Pens fans in the Crosby vs. Lindros thread. Basically what I said was Crosby had more talent skill-wise but in a line vs. line match-up the Lindros line would basically dominate. There's no way Crosby would be able to play defense against Lindros, he had a difficult enough time with Giroux. And then if you replaced Giroux with Lindros in last year's playoff series, the outcome would be the same, probably in the same amount of games, the only difference would be Lindros killing Crosby in the scrum in game 3.
I would love to see Lindros hit Crosby. It would be like me getting hit by a train.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Talking to some Pens fans in the Crosby vs. Lindros thread. Basically what I said was Crosby had more talent skill-wise but in a line vs. line match-up the Lindros line would basically dominate. There's no way Crosby would be able to play defense against Lindros, he had a difficult enough time with Giroux. And then if you replaced Giroux with Lindros in last year's playoff series, the outcome would be the same, probably in the same amount of games, the only difference would be Lindros killing Crosby in the scrum in game 3.
I'd say you're 100% correct.

05-29-2013, 01:56 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 1h
Any media outlet that would hire John Tortorella should be ashamed.

Didn't waste any time. I'm gonna miss those two going at it. The few times I could appreciate Tortorella.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I can't bring myself to go over there as I'd probably get pretty upset but I can't help but ask, how did they respond? I agree with everything your saying I just want to know if they have enough brains in their heads to admit it.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

Didn't waste any time. I'm gonna miss those two going at it. The few times I could appreciate Tortorella.
I hope Torts does join the media for the remainder of the playoffs as a panel guy. He'd probably be hilarious.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

Larry Brooks is such a pansy, just because Tortorella called him out on his dumb questions all the time doesn't mean he's not qualified to be apart of the media.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Torts has often joined TSN in the past. That Brooks comment seems like a jab at TSN to me.

05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Brooks is a better analyst than Panatch, but he makes up for that by being even more petty.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

No surprise about Torts being fired....dude is an obstinate short shelf lifer. Like I noted him and Lavi are cut from the same cloth in many ways. They are good coaches but their obstinance and taskmaster ways only go so far. His playoff track record with the Rangers was less than stellar but at least it was better than when they didn't make the playoffs for 6 years in a row or whatever it was.

Anyway...Rangers are doing what the Flyers should especially considering the decent coaching replacements out there.

As for the people who would want Torts on the Flyers....um NO!

Old
05-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Press conferences would be epic.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
Rangers will have to add
Flyers will have to multiply.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:55 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I'm getting some great mental imagery of a fully-healthy Lindros in the middle of that series. I don't think Crosby would come close to getting on Lindros' radar, though, and frankly I wouldn't blame him. Lindros could stand his ground against anyone the Penguins would have sent his way.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:07 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I can't bring myself to go over there as I'd probably get pretty upset but I can't help but ask, how did they respond? I agree with everything your saying I just want to know if they have enough brains in their heads to admit it.

Basically said Matt Cooke or Orpik would throw hits and would injure Lindros. Orpik is good but he's no Stevens who had a difficult enough time as it is. Cooke would end up like all those other players on the wrong side of Lindros' hits reel. They also ignored the message my post was conveying and continued to list Crosby's accomplishments and ppg in the regular season and playoffs. Even though I said "I know, I already said Crosby might score more points, but no competent coach would put Crosby on a line against Lindros." Crosby is basically going up against a player skill-wise almost as good, but a lot bigger and stronger. Crosby physically couldn't do it the same as Lemeiuex and Jagr couldn't in 97 either. Then they went back to the list and then went "blah blah cup blah blah."

Old
05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I got through 2 and a half pages before I couldn't take it anymore. A bunch are using the "Crosby has a ring" approach.

I'm gonna guess that most of them weren't alive or weren't hockey fans when Lindros was in his prime. They don't understand how dominant he was and how he changed the game.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Flyers will have to multiply.
That's too much math for Homer.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Let me know when Crosby starts winning faceoffs by tossing the opposing center off the dot.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Let me know when Crosby starts winning faceoffs by tossing the opposing center off the dot.
So far in the playoffs, what dynamic player have the Pens even gone up against? Tavares maybe? But he didn't show up for most of it.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Basically said Matt Cooke or Orpik would throw hits and would injure Lindros. Orpik is good but he's no Stevens who had a difficult enough time as it is. Cooke would end up like all those other players on the wrong side of Lindros' hits reel. They also ignored the message my post was conveying and continued to list Crosby's accomplishments and ppg in the regular season and playoffs. Even though I said "I know, I already said Crosby might score more points, but no competent coach would put Crosby on a line against Lindros." Crosby is basically going up against a player skill-wise almost as good, but a lot bigger and stronger. Crosby physically couldn't do it the same as Lemeiuex and Jagr couldn't in 97 either. Then they went back to the list and then went "blah blah cup blah blah."
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I got through 2 and a half pages before I couldn't take it anymore. A bunch are using the "Crosby has a ring" approach.

I'm gonna guess that most of them weren't alive or weren't hockey fans when Lindros was in his prime. They don't understand how dominant he was and how he changed the game.
That's pretty much what I figured. I better not go over there cause I'll be there all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Kinda like this (18 sec in and again at 1:14):

edit: found another nice highlight video. LOL he was just a big bully on the ice that after running you over, beating up any player that stepped up to him physically, would put up a couple points

Check out 1:43 mark, talk about upper body strength LOL

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 05-29-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 04:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post

You have to remember that most of them became fans in 2005 or 2009.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:53 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

That Lindros/Crosby thread is terrible. Crosby would have what's left of the eggs in his head scrambled in less than half a season if he played when Lindros did.

Lindros was a guy that wanted to hurt you, maybe even more so than scoring goals or winning; just a mean son of a *****. I don't really think the gap in skill between Lindros and Crosby isn't as big as the "Cr0SbY!!! AINEC!!" group is making it out to be.

Lindros, IMO, is (was) the more complete player.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I felt like I lost some IQ points looking at that Lindros/Crosby thread. Both were/are great players and generational talents, some of the arguments in that thread are silly.

Arguing over whether Kasparaitis or Stevens would ruin Crosby's career or not.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I felt like I lost some IQ points looking at that Lindros/Crosby thread. Both were/are great players and generational talents, some of the arguments in that thread are silly.

Arguing over whether Kasparaitis or Stevens would ruin Crosby's career or not.
Crosby does have a pretty good on-ice awareness, but Stevens had great vision for catching forwards with speed unaware.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:43 PM
FlyingPhilly

Talking to most Pens fans and expecting them to be objective is like telling a cat to not eat the canary.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Crosby does have a pretty good on-ice awareness, but Stevens had great vision for catching forwards with speed unaware.
I'm not doubting Crosby's talents but belittling Lindros because two of the better hitters in last 20 years in Stevens and Kasparaitis got the best of him at times is just dumb.

It's hard for people to be objective when it comes to Lindros because he has three strikes against him in the eyes of other fans in that he played for the Flyers, he was dirty at times, and the whole Quebec situation.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Talking to most Pens fans and expecting them to be objective is like telling a cat to not eat the canary.
That's definitely a generous analogy.

Closed Thread