HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Did Burke get a raw deal in Toronto?

Old
05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Did Burke get a raw deal in Toronto?

Pretty much just the question in the thread title, from which you can expand as you wish. So truly, did Brian Burke get a raw deal from the owners in Toronto? Because he assembled this team which, win or lose in the 1st Round, are showing that they have some very good potential.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Shredator

vCash: 50
I believe that Brian Burke did get screwed in this situation. He did exactly what he said he would do and assembled a playoff team.
The Kessel deal doesn't look so bad now.

Burke got fired because MLSE didn't like how he portrayed himself and the team in the media. Yet he was hired with full knowledge of exactly how Brian Burke works.

He gets fired and the team shows success. He built this team. Dave Nonis has done nothing and will somehow collect all the credit.

Shredator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:13 AM
tony d
The Future

Yeah, Burke deserves all the credit for the Leaf's turnaround this season. Wouldn't surprise me to see him another GM job this summer.

05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Count Von Grabo*

He got screwed.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Chip Chipperson

He assembled a team that brought the leafs out of irrelevance and have a shot to beat a top contender for the cup tonight and for that he was **** canned. Seems like a raw deal to me.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Burke has been underrated ever since he set foot in Toronto. One of the best trading GM's in the league, and has always demonstrated an unwavering faith in his own players. I hope that when Lou retires Burke is still available to be hired as his replacement

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:19 AM
DoubleDouble
The black cocaine.

People forget, though, that Burke also had an intense loyalty to certain players. If Burke was still here, there is no doubt in my mind that he never would have:

-Demoted Komisarek
-Demoted Connolly
-Trade Lombardi

These moves by Nonis opened up roster spots for players like Kadri.

With that being said, Brian Burke deserves a lion's share of the credit for this team. I still like him a lot, always did when he was Toronto GM.

The league used to laugh at him and mock him mercilessly on here, but he always was candid and he always had a plan and a vision. I think that's more than you can say for many GM's.

Remember the Leafs pre-Burke? No Lupul, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, McClement...these players costed cap and assets but I believe he fared well and created a core that could succeed in the modern game.

DoubleDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredator View Post
I believe that Brian Burke did get screwed in this situation. He did exactly what he said he would do and assembled a playoff team.
The Kessel deal doesn't look so bad now.

Burke got fired because MLSE didn't like how he portrayed himself and the team in the media. Yet he was hired with full knowledge of exactly how Brian Burke works.

He gets fired and the team shows success. He built this team. Dave Nonis has done nothing and will somehow collect all the credit.
To be fair Nonis didn't exactly do "nothing."

IIRC he was the main guy running the phones in a lot of the deals the Leafs made.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gobias Industries

He fires Wilson earlier and maybe he still has a job.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Burke should get credit for a LOT of what has been successful this year, but there are a lot of things he would never done. He would have never demoted Komisarek or Connolly, likely never traded Lombardi. Likely wouldn't have given guys like Fraser a shot for the whole year.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Too cheap to succeed

vCash: 1170
No, he did not.

While he brought in some great pieces, he was just too adversarial with the media to keep his job for any length of time. Especially since, you know, Bell & Rogers split part ownership of the team and they own a bunch of media outlets...

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
No, he did not.

While he brought in some great pieces, he was just too adversarial with the media to keep his job for any length of time. Especially since, you know, Bell & Rogers split part ownership of the team and they own a bunch of media outlets...
I'd agree to this. Burke did a lot of good but he was far too loyal to his coach and best friend Ron Wilson and some players.

You can be that loud mouth GM if your team is winning but at that time the Leafs had proven nothing and finished in the bottom 10 each and every year.

I think Burke and Wilson had to go for the Leafs to flourish.

Your GM should never be face of your franchise. Burke undoubtedly became the face of the Leafs.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
BK201

Yeah I think so.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Considering he built this team that is taking Boston to game 7 in the playoffs, yes, yes he did.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
This.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Rinzler

I don't think the new owners, Rogers and Bell liked Burke's persona. Clearly the team build methodology wasn't the issue otherwise they would have also fired Nonis and Poulin as well, so it's fairly obvious what happened. There was absolutely no change in team direction.

Burke was conflicting with the Media constantly, of whom happens to be the ownership of the team now. It's not hard to figure out what kinds of conversations took place internally.

Burke tried to mend fences and keep a low profile after they took over last summer but it was too late.

So yeah, he got the raw deal but it was ultimately his fault he was fired. It wasn't because he was a bad GM, but his personality no longer meshed with the new ownership of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:59 AM
firstemperor

He held onto Wilson too long and his FA moves were horrendous. The main thing is he held onto Wilson too long. The leafs team last year was talented enough to make the playoffs in a 82 game season. They just had a headless chicken system and were always out of place positionally- a run and gun system just made that a lot worst.

Ron was terrible here and Burke lost his job because of it. He didn't get screwed.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sparksrus3

Do buck showalter and bob Watson get credit for the Yankees dynasty of the late 90s and beyond?You gotta be in it to win it

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hero
The Corporal Returns

If he's open to demoting Connolly/Komisarek and okay with giving away Lomabrdi, then yes.

He did do a lot for Toronto, and brought in the right pieces, he just also brought in some wrong one which he wasn't okay moving out.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post
People forget, though, that Burke also had an intense loyalty to certain players. If Burke was still here, there is no doubt in my mind that he never would have:

-Demoted Komisarek
-Demoted Connolly
-Trade Lombardi

These moves by Nonis opened up roster spots for players like Kadri.

With that being said, Brian Burke deserves a lion's share of the credit for this team. I still like him a lot, always did when he was Toronto GM.

The league used to laugh at him and mock him mercilessly on here, but he always was candid and he always had a plan and a vision. I think that's more than you can say for many GM's.

Remember the Leafs pre-Burke? No Lupul, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, McClement...these players costed cap and assets but I believe he fared well and created a core that could succeed in the modern game.
This.

Burke may have assembled a long list of players, but he wasn't putting the right ones on the Maple Leafs. We wouldn't be in the same boat with Burke.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
number72

Nope. It was a business decision. He wasn't qualified to run the MLSE organization (Leafs, Raptors, Jays etc) and overqualfied as GM of the leafs. Leiweke to run the MLSE and Nonis as leaf GM makes a lot of sense.

This stuff happens all the time. Plenty of people have been layed off, downsized whatever you want to call it. Though they never got the big severance that Burke did.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:18 AM
SilverSeven

His FA signings were terrible, he was far too loyal to a garbage coach, and he mortgaged the future for Kessel.

Id say he got what he deserved.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:25 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Many positives, many negatives. That about sums up Burke's tenure.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I think he deserves credit for putting the pieces together but I don't think he got a raw deal. I'm glad he was fired - I think his termination was one of the "pieces" that let the team move forward to the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Burke should get credit for a LOT of what has been successful this year, but there are a lot of things he would never done. He would have never demoted Komisarek or Connolly, likely never traded Lombardi. Likely wouldn't have given guys like Fraser a shot for the whole year.
This is pretty much how I feel. You can't assume that if Burke was still here the season would have unfolded the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I don't think the new owners, Rogers and Bell liked Burke's persona. Clearly the team build methodology wasn't the issue otherwise they would have also fired Nonis and Poulin as well, so it's fairly obvious what happened. There was absolutely no change in team direction.

Burke was conflicting with the Media constantly, of whom happens to be the ownership of the team now. It's not hard to figure out what kinds of conversations took place internally.

Burke tried to mend fences and keep a low profile after they took over last summer but it was too late.

So yeah, he got the raw deal but it was ultimately his fault he was fired. It wasn't because he was a bad GM, but his personality no longer meshed with the new ownership of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
I think that's pretty much it.

I remember during his exit press conference he referred to himself as a "brand", and I can see how the new ownership wouldn't want members of the front office being a brand themselves - i.e. the only brand the want is the team itself.

His over the top personality (not to mention his contentious relationship with the press) simply wasn't ever going to go over okay with MLSE in the long run.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I'm kinda glad he didn't now since Carlyle wouldn't have been available yet.

I think he got kinda screwed a bit but Nonis had been working with him most of the way also. Nonis is just going to continue what Burke started.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote