HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why Hate Scott Stevens?

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Why Hate Scott Stevens?

I saw Scott's name coming up quite a bit in the players that you hate thread. I couldnt figure it out, why would anyone hate a Defenceman who is Rock Solid in his own end, Has Offensive ability and Hits like a ton of bricks.

I dont want to hear answers from people who only hate him because he laid one of those Beauty hits on a favorite from your team. One guy in that other thread was even complaining because he Hits guys to hurt them when they have their heads down. I see no problem with this because I thin k the good majority of Stevens hits are clean they arent cheap shots. At the NHL level when you catch someone with their head down and hit to hurt but hit clean, that is part of the business.

I listed Todd Beruzzi on my list because I think he picks his spots and by that I mean he doesnt fight enough for a guy whoo dishes out so much punishment. A young Stevens fought quite a bit and the older one dropped em as much or more than Bertuzzi.

I have no problem with Bertuzzi's big hits and as a Blues fan If i hated him just for making big hits on our players I would have reason he put two of our best D-men on the shelf. But Jackman and MacInnis should have been more aware of him.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:37 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Stevens is a cheapshot artist..if you want to admit it or not. He goes out he try to injure players in vulnerable situations...big man! To be honest...when I heard he was out with post-concussion syndrome the first thing i said to myself was, "Boy if theres one player who deserves that more then anyone its good old Scotty"

And yes..i am very biased being a Ranger fan and a huge Lindros fan.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Stevens is a cheapshot artist..if you want to admit it or not. He goes out he try to injure players in vulnerable situations...big man! To be honest...when I heard he was out with post-concussion syndrome the first thing i said to myself was, "Boy if theres one player who deserves that more then anyone its good old Scotty"

I dont think his hit on the Big E was cheap at all. If a player puts themselfes in a vunerable situation they deserve to get smoked in my mind.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE

They may be brutal hits and he could have held up, but his long line of hits aren't cheap. Should a shooter not score the goal if the goalie is out of position?

Besides Lindros has done his fair share of steamrolling as well.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I dont think his hit on the Big E was cheap at all. If a player puts themselfes in a vunerable situation they deserve to get smoked in my mind.
The deserve to get cracked, but Stevens seems to hit with a clear intent to injure. He is the ultimate "Don't like, but Respect" guy because he is one of the best defesnsive defenders I've seen. But you shouldn't go after guys looking to hurt them like he does.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Matty

Quote:
I dont want to hear answers from people who only hate him because he laid one of those Beauty hits on a favorite from your team. One guy in that other thread was even complaining because he Hits guys to hurt them when they have their heads down. I see no problem with this because I thin k the good majority of Stevens hits are clean they arent cheap shots. At the NHL level when you catch someone with their head down and hit to hurt but hit clean, that is part of the business.
I don't hate Stevens but I do think that his hitting style tends to represent what is wrong with the game (as long as it's 'clean'...) I don't like the 'hit to hurt' mentality at all. And no matter what people say it does show a lack of respect for your fellow players.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:54 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I
The deserve to get cracked, but Stevens seems to hit with a clear intent to injure. He is the ultimate "Don't like, but Respect" guy because he is one of the best defesnsive defenders I've seen. But you shouldn't go after guys looking to hurt them like he does.
Personally I don't think he's out to end careers like some would like to say. He finishes his checks, but he somehow has a knack of hitting players at times when they least expect it. If he had some malicious intent you'd see him with a hell of a lot more elbows and sticks up, or checks from behind.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:54 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I
I have no problem with it. just my 2 cents on that and at least you respect the man.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:56 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Personally I don't think he's out to end careers like some would like to say. He finishes his checks, but he somehow has a knack of hitting players at times when they least expect it. If he had some malicious intent you'd see him with a hell of a lot more elbows and sticks up, or checks from behind.
100% agreed.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
I don't hate Stevens but I do think that his hitting style tends to represent what is wrong with the game (as long as it's 'clean'...) I don't like the 'hit to hurt' mentality at all. And no matter what people say it does show a lack of respect for your fellow players.
What is he suppost to do let up on a guy and not hit them as hard. I am not trying to be rude but this is the NHL and I think the Hard hits and Physical play are a big part of what makes it the best gane in the world.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Matty

Quote:
That's a tad bit callous. Post concussion syndrom can affect a player for the rest of his life. Does anyone really 'deserve' that just for looking at the puck for an instant?

And I have no problem with the guy getting 'smoked' - I've seen plenty of entertaining open ice hits where the player didn't end up in the hospital. It's just that Stevens takes the hit to another level - he doesn't let up at all...in the least.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Matty

Quote:
What is he suppost to do let up on a guy and not hit them as hard. I am not trying to be rude but this is the NHL and I think the Hard hits and Physical play are a big part of what makes it the best gane in the world.
Yes. If you knew going into a hit that if you gave it yer all the opposing player may have his life adversly affected, wouldn't you let up a little? It doesn't mean you don't still put him on his arse and make him look the fool, it just means you don't do it with the intent to injure.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:03 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Some people are going to think Stevens' hits are clean and great hits and others think that he crosses a line. That's just the way it's going to be.

I really believe he crosses the line when he hits to potentially end careers rather than simply making a hit to take a player out of the play.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
c-carp

Quote:
That's a tad bit callous. Post concussion syndrom can affect a player for the rest of his life. Does anyone really 'deserve' that just for looking at the puck for an instant?

And I have no problem with the guy getting 'smoked' - I've seen plenty of entertaining open ice hits where the player didn't end up in the hospital. It's just that Stevens takes the hit to another level - he doesn't let up at all...in the least.
I dont think that its calllous this is a contact sport and I dont know exactly how to say this but hopefully the point will come out.

Any hit at any time could put someone in the hospital, and concussions do effect a person for the reat of their life but to me when you play a contact sport like hockey at a high level Juniors on up that is a risk you take, that has a potentially high reward.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

In Stevens' defense, he was interviewed and admitted his history of putting players out with concussions affected his play in the regular season. He said something to the effect of "If it's the regular season, and I see in a guy in a vulnerable position, do I hold up a little bit? Yeah. But in the postseason? All bets are off."

And I'm a Rangers fan, but I agree 100%.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I'm not going to whine about Eric Lindros, it happened and the damage was done. What I respect most about Scott Stevens is that he had a knack for taking out the big names when his team needed needed it. He was a dominant defenceman that helped his team win three cups. That said...it was great seeing him sit a year out with pcs.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Yes. If you knew going into a hit that if you gave it yer all the opposing player may have his life adversly affected, wouldn't you let up a little? It doesn't mean you don't still put him on his arse and make him look the fool, it just means you don't do it with the intent to injure.
That doesn't go through an athletes mind in a game. During a game all there is to focus on is the game, your life and world for those 60 minutes are that game and what situation your in. I know I'm not thinking about the guy's personal life across from me in a hockey game, why should he?

Old
05-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Puckclektr

Why should he let up? There is no way at all that Stevens is a dirty player. If he would have held up on Lindros, there might have been a chance that Lindros would have beat him and went in to score. That could be a game winning goal to knock the team out. He is a big machine and hits harder because of it. He is arguably the most intimidating player in the NHL. If you wanna carry the puck over the blue line, you have to suffer the consequences. Because you knock someone or injure them with a clean HARD hit does not make you dirty. Slashing, hitting from behind and cheap shots are dirty.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Some people are going to think Stevens' hits are clean and great hits and others think that he crosses a line. That's just the way it's going to be.

I really believe he crosses the line when he hits to potentially end careers rather than simply making a hit to take a player out of the play.
wth do you think is going to happen when an all world defensive defensemen weighing in about 215-220 pounds hits like he usually does against one of if not the smallest forwards in the league in Paul Kariya ... the munchkin loses 10 times out of 10

Old
05-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19

Agreed, but what he does is part of the game, what can you do?

The only thing I have a problem with are the people who carry on about some of his more debilitating hits and how "awesome" they were or how they were deserved, etc. There really isn't anything that glorious or exciting about some young guy getting his career and possibly his life wrecked IMO.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Malefic74

I don't have as much of a problem with Stevens hits as I do with a guy like Marchment who goes knee hunting, or Derian Hatcher, the author of a couple of the most vicious elbows I've ever seen or a guy like Gary Suter who was known to be over-active on the cheap cross-checking front (Gretzky and Kariya weren't the only ones he got).

Lindros has been knocked senseless by other players than Stevens yet they aren't the subject of nearly the amount of animosity. Suter cross checked Kariya in the face AFTER a goal and doesn't get nearly as much flak as Stevens got for that hit.

These are NHL players with (presumably) great hockey sense and they know when good scorers are on the ice, and they know when slower players they can take advantage of are on the ice and they definately know when big hitters are on the ice. They have to know to keep their heads up. It's one thing to be a victim of an attack like Pierre Turgeon and Dale Hunter or Steve Moore and never see it coming. It's another entirely to be watching yourself stickhandle while crossing the middle of the ice.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
That doesn't go through an athletes mind in a game. During a game all there is to focus on is the game, your life and world for those 60 minutes are that game and what situation your in. I know I'm not thinking about the guy's personal life across from me in a hockey game, why should he?
Of coarse these things cross an athletes mind. That's why certain players are more notorious than others for 'cheap' shots - because they choose more often than not to take those actions. That's why some players are accused of having little respect for their fellow hockey players (Marchment) while others obviously do have a higher respect.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:00 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Just want to say also...just because I dont like Stevens, does not mean I dont think he is one of the best defenseman out there. I respect the way he plays in his zone but just not the way he goes out trying to injure players.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Of coarse these things cross an athletes mind. That's why certain players are more notorious than others for 'cheap' shots - because they choose more often than not to take those actions. That's why some players are accused of having little respect for their fellow hockey players (Marchment) while others obviously do have a higher respect.
1. I'm speaking from personal experience, I have no idea what goes on in other players heads.
2. Neither do you. How would you know that a player keeps in mind that player X has a back injury and hits them from behind?

As far as I'm concerned the opposing team is nameless faces with numbers attached to them. I don't make things personal, I assume they don't either. This is just my point of view, but i don't see what goes on in other peoples heads.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
I saw Scott's name coming up quite a bit in the players that you hate thread. I couldnt figure it out, why would anyone hate a Defenceman who is Rock Solid in his own end, Has Offensive ability and Hits like a ton of bricks..
Agreed. People who hate Stevens hate real hockey.

Closed Thread